Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back

This thread currently has 21,884 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 26, 2023, 3:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Thanks for making my point. Every time he makes a mistake he gets dropped. There are several other players who appear bombproof in this regard, Harry being one.

I don't recall Clifton making many (if any?) mistakes leading directly to goals. He does give possession away in midfield a fair bit, however, so similar to Hunt in that regard.

They aren't really the same type of player, of course.

I'd very much like Hunt to come good as we paid a fee for him and I'd imagine he's on a decent whack as well, but it doesn't look as though he's going to take the chance, unless we move the midfield around a bit because I don't think he has the physicality that Hurst likes for the two playing ahead of Conteh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 258
diehardmariner
September 26, 2023, 4:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,704
Gold Stars: 543
Pre-season against Lincoln it was very much a case of Hunt and Clifton playing as a two ahead of Conteh.

The highlights only really show his goal but he didn't get bullied, he was aggressive in his press and he was effective with his running and passing.  Absolutely, it's one pre-season game but that's what I think he could and would do in a more advanced role.  AFC Wimbledon and Notts County games he was used in a two-man holding midfield with Conteh, where he wasn't really needed to be honest.  

Either way, I don't think he's going to get his chance here.  Probably best for the lad if he gets himself some game time elsewhere.

- Hunt's goal about 30 seconds in.
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 258
The Caterham Mariner
September 26, 2023, 4:19pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
Bloody Hell roll on Saturday against Swindon then
I can see with my own eyes , even though Yes I saw
the Bradford game on the telly =great first half fell by
the wayside 2nd half , and follow via radio commentary
all other games.
UTM2023--24.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 258
SpiritOf98
September 26, 2023, 4:29pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from diehardmariner
Pre-season against Lincoln it was very much a case of Hunt and Clifton playing as a two ahead of Conteh.

The highlights only really show his goal but he didn't get bullied, he was aggressive in his press and he was effective with his running and passing.  Absolutely, it's one pre-season game but that's what I think he could and would do in a more advanced role.  AFC Wimbledon and Notts County games he was used in a two-man holding midfield with Conteh, where he wasn't really needed to be honest.  

Either way, I don't think he's going to get his chance here.  Probably best for the lad if he gets himself some game time elsewhere.

Not so sure Hurst has that in mind though, team selection seems a bit of a carousel and Hunt's maybe up for a shirt. Andrews looked solid enough but seems to be part of Team Bench and Ainley is being chucked on when the team are playing like strangers. Hunt in for Swindon is my very uneducated guess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 258
ska face
September 26, 2023, 5:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
I think Hunt would benefit from Hurst & Doig putting an arm round him and saying “we’ll give you a run of 5 starts, regardless of what happens, go show us what you can do”. The kid looks like he’s treading on eggshells whenever he plays, knowing any mistake & he’ll be out the team.

Thought one of his best games for us was against Southampton where he was industrious, disciplined & kept the ball whenever we had it. Can’t remember him losing it all night, and he definitely held his own
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 258
MuddyWaters
September 26, 2023, 5:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from SpiritOf98

Not so sure Hurst has that in mind though, team selection seems a bit of a carousel and Hunt's maybe up for a shirt. Andrews looked solid enough but seems to be part of Team Bench and Ainley is being chucked on when the team are playing like strangers. Hunt in for Swindon is my very uneducated guess.

Not exactly continuity is it? Can't see him going from pre-match training with Greg (v Crawley) to a start v Swindon. Mind you, I'm only ever surprised when he makes a sub before 75 minutes.
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 258
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 26, 2023, 5:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from ska face
I think Hunt would benefit from Hurst & Doig putting an arm round him and saying “we’ll give you a run of 5 starts, regardless of what happens, go show us what you can do”. The kid looks like he’s treading on eggshells whenever he plays, knowing any mistake & he’ll be out the team.

Thought one of his best games for us was against Southampton where he was industrious, disciplined & kept the ball whenever we had it. Can’t remember him losing it all night, and he definitely held his own

My sentiments exactly but Harry runs about a lot so let’s stick with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 258
MuddyWaters
September 26, 2023, 5:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

My sentiments exactly but Harry runs about a lot so let’s stick with him.

I think one of the management team is very much industry over flair.

I recall Alex Hunt's interview in preseason when he said that he had worked hard over the break to improve his strength and mentality. He got a full game against Wimbledon and 80 odd minutes against Notts and hasn't been seen in the league since. Hardly going to encourage him and really makes you wonder why we gave him 3 years in the first place.
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 258
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 26, 2023, 9:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
With the massive caveat that I wasn’t at the match (wedding anniversary) and didn’t watch the match, please can someone explain to me how so many people on this thread thought Holohan was MOTM?

Most of the moans on here seem to be reserved for Clifton, Pyke and Efete!

The first goal was Holohan’s fault for switching off and letting Kelly spin behind him.

Three minutes later, Holohan let the same player dart into space to set up the second (with help from Glennon).

I don’t like singling out players but, luckily for Gav, I don’t need to after that shambolic third goal (***).

Holohan has credit in the bank and I like him as a person. We all make mistakes, so I accept that he switched off for the first goal. However, how can you not track the same runner 3 mins later? It’s crazy.

If one of our central midfielders isn’t going to track back, we might as well play a second striker.

*** that third goal:

- Glennon - after turning his back for the first goal, he then does the complete opposite for the third and his eyes are glued to the ball. He’s watching the ball that intensely that he convinces himself that Forster’s offside.

- Eastwood - I don’t expect to see our players risking their lives or serious injury on our behalf but it’s fückin Danilo Orsi who’s wafting a leg towards the ball. It’s not Matt Rhead or Jon Parkin. Orsi’s got all the menace of a knitted scarf and could be blown over by a gust of wind (particularly if it’s whipping up off the Solent).  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 258
MuddyWaters
September 26, 2023, 9:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
With the massive caveat that I wasn’t at the match (wedding anniversary) and didn’t watch the match, please can someone explain to me how so many people on this thread thought Holohan was MOTM?

Most of the moans on here seem to be reserved for Clifton, Pyke and Efete!

The first goal was Holohan’s fault for switching off and letting Kelly spin behind him.

Three minutes later, Holohan let the same player dart into space to set up the second (with help from Glennon).

I don’t like singling out players but, luckily for Gav, I don’t need to after that shambolic third goal (***).

Holohan has credit in the bank and I like him as a person. We all make mistakes, so I accept that he switched off for the first goal. However, how can you not track the same runner 3 mins later? It’s crazy.

If one of our central midfielders isn’t going to track back, we might as well play a second striker.

*** that third goal:

- Glennon - after turning his back for the first goal, he then does the complete opposite for the third and his eyes are glued to the ball. He’s watching the ball that intensely that he convinces himself that Forster’s offside.

- Eastwood - I don’t expect to see our players risking their lives or serious injury on our behalf but it’s fückin Danilo Orsi who’s wafting a leg towards the ball. It’s not Matt Rhead or Jon Parkin. Orsi’s got all the menace of a knitted scarf and could be blown over by a gust of wind (particularly if it’s whipping up off the Solent).  

Eisa should have been MoM for the goal alone.
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 258
26 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.