jamesgtfc
October 5, 2023, 11:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,970
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from 123614

Yes I do, unless you believe that the whole 7 paragraph post was just slagging off everyone mentioned in it,  If that is not the case, then people need to express themselves more clearly.  This is the written word, it does not express sarcasm etc.

Everyone else in that post played for us under Slade in his first spell, except for Paul Futcher.

His son Ben did play for us in 05/06 though so it was obviously about him!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 250 - 258
Mappers
October 5, 2023, 11:23am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from forza ivano

and don't forget Jason crowe - another bloody good player in that side (whatever happened to him?)

Crowey another good one

Went on to have a really good career -nearly 200 games at Northampton and then a season at Leeds in league 1 .

Finished at Corby Town .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 251 - 258
diehardmariner
October 5, 2023, 11:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from 123614

Yes I do, unless you believe that the whole 7 paragraph post was just slagging off everyone mentioned in it,  If that is not the case, then people need to express themselves more clearly.  This is the written word, it does not express sarcasm etc.

Right, I avoided directly replying to you because I thought you completely (and being alone in that fact) getting it wrong was funny but also I didn't think it was needed to point out the obvious.  

I've quoted my own post below for you to read again to see where I've said Paul Futcher.  I didn't.  What I did do was list 16 players from the 2004-2006 and the manager at that time.  This was in a thread that had turned into a comparison, of sorts, between Hurst and Slade (said manager between 2004-06).  Ben Futcher was mentioned a few posts prior to mine by Maringer and is one of the 16 players from said season that I've listed.

Paul Futcher, who wasn't previously mentioned, played for us between 1991-1995. I know every thread on the Fishy jumps about a bit but there's connecting the dots yourself and then there's going into a whole new puzzle book.

There are some posters who pick up on you getting the wrong end of the stick or flying off the handle at anything you don't agree with, I try to avoid doing this because at the end of the day it's only a football forum.  We're all Town fans and we're also just looking to chat about Town or random stuff to pass the time of day.  This forum should be something that people enjoy, rather than get berated on.

I don't really care that you confused Paul and Ben, if I'm honest I found it mildly amusing.  But rather than continue to try and dig your way out of it, just accept you misread it and move on.  This forum isn't a competition, there's no points lost for misreading the thread.  

Quoted from diehardmariner
Was definitely 3-4-3 in his first season, front three of Parkinson, Sestanovic and Mansaram (Reddy coming off the bench).   We were ridiculously attacking, to the point of gung-ho but just couldn't score/win.  

Rumour that a certain chairman told Slade he needed to go back to 4-4-2 as that's the natives knew and liked.  I've no idea if there was any truth in that.

Second season was less gung ho and more measured, can't remember the exact formation but seem to think it was more 4-4-2 like with Parkinson and Cohen wide up until Xmas, the likes of Simon Francis, Calvin Andrew and others also doing a job out there.  

But it definitely boiled off post Xmas.  The January transfer window did us.  Gritton and Ramsden went out, neither of whom were really involved much but bringing in Futcher, Woodhouse, Mendes and Goodfellow just disrupted everything.  I agree on Woodhouse, a good individual but I thought he unbalanced the midfield and broke up a very effective Ciaran Toner/Paul Bolland pairing in the middle.  Futcher was useless, very much the player Rob Jones left behind the previous season but even he looked remotely decent compared to Mendes and Goodfellow.  Slade seemed obsessed with getting a return from Mendes and just persisted with him.  Goodfellow's open goal miss at Orient still haunts me 17 years on.

Also persisted with an unfit Reddy for far too long.  Should have bit the bullet, put Cohen down the middle with Gary Jones rather than try to wish Reddy's hip injuries away.

Memory is just jogged by the decision away at Rochdale to bring on Rob Jones to defend a corner in the final minute.  Jones completely misses the header which sails into the net for a 2-2 finish.  Prior to that we were in ok form, a win would have made it 13 points from the last 15.  Instead we went onto pick up 11 points from the final 9 games.  Another 3 would have seen us go up on goal difference.

4 of our final 6 games were against sides that finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th.  Tough run in but we threw it away.
Private Message
Reply: 252 - 258
diehardmariner
October 5, 2023, 11:46am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Crowey another good one

Went on to have a really good career -nearly 200 games at Northampton and then a season at Leeds in league 1 .

Finished at Corby Town .

Crowe was an odd one.  Couldn't quite get in at right-back because of Macca (and Marcel Cas, bizarrely, getting played there in 03/04) so ended up in midfield, where I think he ended up playing most of his career afterwards.  At times he looked a level above.  Quick, strong, tenacious, box-to-box and not too shabby on the ball.  Yet other times he just disappeared and barely noticed he was playing.

Much like Groves in 03/04, I think one of the biggest problems Slade had in 04/05 is that we had a collection of good players but they never made a team.  Bringing in the likes of Gary Jones, Paul Bolland, Ciaran Toner and aided by a spell of fitness for Michael Reddy and the reborn Rob Jones really helped pool that collection of players into a team that complimented each other.  Steve Mildenhall too, to say he was an upgrade on Anthony Williams is something of an understatement.
Private Message
Reply: 253 - 258
October 5, 2023, 4:17pm
Guest User
Quoted from mariner91

You do realise his son, Ben, played for us that season right?

Yes I do.

Reply: 254 - 258
October 5, 2023, 4:24pm
Guest User
Quoted from diehardmariner

Right, I avoided directly replying to you because I thought you completely (and being alone in that fact) getting it wrong was funny but also I didn't think it was needed to point out the obvious.  

I've quoted my own post below for you to read again to see where I've said Paul Futcher.  I didn't.  What I did do was list 16 players from the 2004-2006 and the manager at that time.  This was in a thread that had turned into a comparison, of sorts, between Hurst and Slade (said manager between 2004-06).  Ben Futcher was mentioned a few posts prior to mine by Maringer and is one of the 16 players from said season that I've listed.

Paul Futcher, who wasn't previously mentioned, played for us between 1991-1995. I know every thread on the Fishy jumps about a bit but there's connecting the dots yourself and then there's going into a whole new puzzle book.

There are some posters who pick up on you getting the wrong end of the stick or flying off the handle at anything you don't agree with, I try to avoid doing this because at the end of the day it's only a football forum.  We're all Town fans and we're also just looking to chat about Town or random stuff to pass the time of day.  This forum should be something that people enjoy, rather than get berated on.

I don't really care that you confused Paul and Ben, if I'm honest I found it mildly amusing.  But rather than continue to try and dig your way out of it, just accept you misread it and move on.  This forum isn't a competition, there's no points lost for misreading the thread.  

I don't think it was a case of misreading it, surely in a thread where you are talking about someone who also has a namesake in the same club, then if you had used the first name, it would have stopped any confusion.  I admit I didn't think of his son when you said Futcher in the post, because I don't remember much about him at all, which goes to show how bad he was.

Reply: 255 - 258
Abdul19
October 5, 2023, 4:59pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Christ  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 256 - 258
diehardmariner
October 5, 2023, 5:00pm
Vodka Drinker
It had already been mentioned it was Ben.   The whole post was about the era of 2004 to 2006.  It clearly wasn't Paul Futcher I was talking about as he hadn't been at the club for 9 years, Ben however was at the club at that moment in time!

Should have I clearly distinguished that I wasn't talking about Paul's twin brother Ron too?

There's literally only one person who was confused.

Just forget it.  Please.
Private Message
Reply: 257 - 258
louth_in_the_south
October 5, 2023, 5:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 123614
"Futcher was useless"!!  You have got to be joking.

"Futcher was signed by Grimsby Town from Halifax Town reserves, aged 34, by Alan Buckley for £10,000 as a short-term replacement for Andy Tillson. He went on to be a fans' favourite for five seasons, winning the Supporters Player of the Year twice in that time."

Slade really messed up playing Ron Futcher at the back when we really needed him up front once Ready got injured

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 258 - 258
26 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.