Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
1mickylyons, 99agrant, acko338, AncientExiledMariner, AndyDarloFC, aussiej, bartgtfc, Bawmariner, bedders78, BeijingMariner, Belfast Town, benny1618, Bigboy, biggleswademariner, Bignic69, Brazilnut, BruceytheFish, BulkyMariner, Captaincod, chelseacity, chipsandgravy, Chrisblor, cjbill, CodHead, Craigy01, Crumbcrusader, crusty ole pie, Crystal, CSLM, DaleGTFC, Davec, DB, devs, Dick Johnson, Doctor Sanchez, drbell, Epworth Mariner, EvilFish, forza ivano, Gainsbro_Mariner, Gill, GollyGTFC, Grant Baily, Grantley, grassbandits, GrimExile, GrimRob, grimsbybrown, gtfc_chris, Gyranger.2, gytone, Hagrid, HarrogateMariner, Heswall Mariner, HistonMariner, HoratiusEberlin, horsforthmariner, IlkleyMariner, Jackal, Jackie Lewis, jamesgtfc, jonnyboy82, kafunanapar140909, Knut Anders Fosters Voles, krispy84, Les Brechin, Limerick Mariner, Lincspoacher, LivvosRomanNose, LocalLadGTFC, louth_in_the_south, MaccasBoots, Madeleymariner, Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, Mappers, Mariner John, Mariner Timsky, Mariner16, mariner91, Mariner93er, Marinerdan, MarinerDevil, marinerjase, MarinerMal, MarinerRob, Maringer, Matthew, Meza, Mighty_Mariner, mike502, Milky Bar Kid, mimma, MNH1972, mr b, Neilo83, Nelly GTFC, nigelh, nomorefourfiveone, Northbank Mariner, NorthseaMariner, Northy81, OZMAN, PaceyMariner, Parkooo, paulmblythe, Peeler_Crab, percentagefootball, pontoonlew, Poojah, Roast Em Bobby, Rodley Mariner, Running like emson, Ruston AT, sam gy, ScottyUTM, scott, smokin joe, Southwark Mariner, Spidey, SpiritOf98, Stew0_0, Stranger in the Park, SWMariner, Tavistock Mariner, Teesknees, The Dogs Testicles, thevera, Tinymariner, Tom13, TonySmith, Total Hawsehole, Town Monkey, Townforlife, TownSNAFU5, TwoLeftFeet, UTMAdinfinitum, Vigo_Mariner, Wedidntdidwe, Wemble1998, wembley_double98, WesternMariner, WOZOFGRIMSBY, Zmariner and 680 Guests

Just Back

This thread currently has 21,875 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
September 27, 2023, 10:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from 123614

Regardless of how many fans say he should be in the team, PH is the manager, and obviously he is not happy with what he is seeing every day in training.  I think he is more qualified to be the judge of who should play in his team, rather than unqualified fans.

You make this point in nearly every thread, I think you fundamentally misunderstand the premise of a discussion board like this.

Anyway, I take offence at being labelled a “Hurst hater”, I just think Hunt is a good player. I’m more pro-Hunt than the Home Counties.
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 258
grimsby pete
September 27, 2023, 11:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Not a lot of point to this or any forum if you can have your say about the team.

We all have our opinions and we know it's the manager who picks the team and the board who hire or fire the manager.

That does not stop having our opinion but at the end of the day as supporters we will get behind whoever is playing.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 258
ginnywings
September 28, 2023, 12:18am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Wasn't there an interview last season where PH was asked about Hunt and why he wasn't getting any game time, and he inferred that the players around him weren't on the same wave length and it was making him look bad, or did I dream that?

If it was the case, then maybe it still is. Conteh apart, we still have mainly the same personnel in there, with Clifton and Holohan starting regularly. We've recently acquired Andrews and Ainsley, but neither has had much game time yet and we don't know how they will pan out.

The midfield hasn't much changed from last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 258
AncientExiledMariner
September 28, 2023, 4:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings
Wasn't there an interview last season where PH was asked about Hunt and why he wasn't getting any game time, and he inferred that the players around him weren't on the same wave length and it was making him look bad, or did I dream that?

If it was the case, then maybe it still is. Conteh apart, we still have mainly the same personnel in there, with Clifton and Holohan starting regularly. We've recently acquired Andrews and Ainsley, but neither has had much game time yet and we don't know how they will pan out.

The midfield hasn't much changed from last season.

We've brought in Conteh, Mullarkey, and Rodgers. I think the balance of the first team has definitely shifted and we're playing more possession stuff. Hurst started with him, and eventually went in another direction. So even with a slightly different approach, he hasn't yet been convinced.

He also made the point during that interview that Hunt was let down by his size and had to make up for it in other areas, as he had the same issue during his career.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 258
moss_side_mariner
September 28, 2023, 4:43am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ska face

You make this point in nearly every thread, I think you fundamentally misunderstand the premise of a discussion board like this.

Anyway, I take offence at being labelled a “Hurst hater”, I just think Hunt is a good player. I’m more pro-Hunt than the Home Counties.

Very good Ska!!!
He was at his best as part of a Fox/Hunt midfield. 😉

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 258
September 28, 2023, 9:34am
Guest User
Quoted from ska face

How condescending.  It's also insulting, I know exactly what a discussion board is about, and I can have my opinion as well as everyone else.  Also I never mentioned 'Hurst Haters'.  It just seems like every post I make, some people like to jump on it and slag me off, usually without any just cause.  And no, I am not playing the 'victim' as some people say, L have the right to defend myself against any attack on me, and I will continue to do so.

Reply: 195 - 258
diehardmariner
September 28, 2023, 9:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540

We've brought in Conteh, Mullarkey, and Rodgers. I think the balance of the first team has definitely shifted and we're playing more possession stuff. Hurst started with him, and eventually went in another direction. So even with a slightly different approach, he hasn't yet been convinced.

He also made the point during that interview that Hunt was let down by his size and had to make up for it in other areas, as he had the same issue during his career.

There's Rose, Eisa and Gnahoua in front of him too, who probably offer more movement than Taylor, Pepple and...I can't even think who was out wide last season.

He definitely looked better when he had players buzzing around like McAtee, Sousa, Bapaga.  Our mobility on the pitch is surely better than it was 12 months ago.  

Whilst I'm certain it's not his best position, Hurst has more often than not used Hunt as a holding midfielder.  Probably with the belief he can dictate play from deep as opposed to shield the defence.  That role has now gone to Conteh, rightly so too.  Whilst Conteh is here and fit, I can't imagine a situation where Hunt gets picked in that role over him.  It's now up to both Hunt and Hurst to figure out a 'new' role for him to play.

Holohan has probably been of our best players since he came back into the team so he's rightly in the team.  Clifton hasn't looked his best but when he doesn't play, we miss his energy and end up bringing him off the bench.  With those 2 and Conteh pretty much nailed on starters, the only way I see Hunt fitting in (without injuries/suspensions) is Clifton shunting out wide and Hunt taking his place in a midfield three.

We'll see I guess...
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 258
diehardmariner
September 28, 2023, 9:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from 123614

How condescending.  It's also insulting, I know exactly what a discussion board is about, and I can have my opinion as well as everyone else.  Also I never mentioned 'Hurst Haters'.  It just seems like every post I make, some people like to jump on it and slag me off, usually without any just cause.  And no, I am not playing the 'victim' as some people say, L have the right to defend myself against any attack on me, and I will continue to do so.

It's only a message board mate.  No-one's jumping on stuff and slagging you off, it's just a discussion.  Even if they are slagging you off, it's someone else behind a keyboard killing a bit of time, just like you are.  Don't worry about it.
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 258
ska face
September 28, 2023, 9:57am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from 123614

You seem to be remarkably thin skinned and obsessed with the idea that people make an effort to attack you - don’t flatter yourself. People are probably just bored of you wading in to every discussion to tell them that they’ve no right to comment on anything because they haven’t managed above Championship level. I know I am.
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 258
sam gy
September 28, 2023, 10:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How is he going to get game time? It would seem Ainley and Andrews (neither look signings to get excited about) are now above him in the pecking order which seems an extraordinary fall from grace as he was first choice in pre season and the first two games.

The same Ainley who has played a whole 28 minutes of football with us??

Christ, that must be a new record for being written off.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 258
26 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.