Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back

This thread currently has 21,867 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 24, 2023, 10:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Conteh doesn’t need a rest he needs to be partnered with Hunt and Khouri as the poor sodomist is playing in midfield on his own. However, poor our striking options are the real need is for a decent midfield capable of dominating a game and creating goal scoring opportunities.

By the way do we practice throw ins at any stage in our training as we hardly ever retain possession from them and have no movement whatsoever it’s so bad it’s laughable.

Think he’s going to get a rest as he’s suspended next week.
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 258
September 25, 2023, 9:51am
Guest User
Quoted from mariner91

Yes you’re a famously composed and even-tempered poster as evidenced here.

Anyway, as you’ll now agree we have three recognised strikers in the first team squad. At no point have two or more of them been fully fit. And one of those strikers is Pyke who does not appear to be very good, albeit in limited appearances. Injuries occur but if you build your strike force light on both quality and quantity you are asking for trouble. We’ve had three transfer windows since being back in the FL and PH’s failure to even match the strength in depth that we had towards the end of our latest stint in non league is, in my opinion, a major factor in our struggles to score goals this season and last.

That's your opinion.

Reply: 131 - 258
Mayaman
September 25, 2023, 10:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from ska face
Crocombe was offered a contract but decided against it, swear I’ve seen goldfish with better memories than some on here.

Thought Andrews did ok when he came on yesterday considering what he had in front & behind him. Got stitched up a few times by Glennon hiding when in a decent position, he tried to tell him but you could see he was a 21-year-old trying to tell a more senior player what to do. Glennon just shrugged & trotted past him.

Who are you calling a..  What was I gonna say?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 258
diehardmariner
September 25, 2023, 1:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Conteh doesn’t need a rest he needs to be partnered with Hunt and Khouri as the poor sodomist is playing in midfield on his own. However, poor our striking options are the real need is for a decent midfield capable of dominating a game and creating goal scoring opportunities.

By the way do we practice throw ins at any stage in our training as we hardly ever retain possession from them and have no movement whatsoever it’s so bad it’s laughable.

You'll find no argument from me regards Hunt.  I've said before he needs to be used more and then in an advanced role, rather than sat on Conteh's toes.  I like Khouri and I think he's got a great future ahead of him, presuming he's injured at present considering his complete omission from the 18 in the last few games.  But even Khouri is very much in the style of Clifton and Holohan, lots of energy and running as opposed to pure technical ability.  That energetic and hustle approach is great for us in the first 20 minutes, but we're clearly unable to sustain it.  As soon as that tails off, we offer nothing going forward and just become sitting ducks waiting for teams to reign us in.  Hunt, with freedom to create in an advanced role, gives you something different.

But regardless of who he's paired with, I think Conteh looks exactly like what he is.  A young lad suffering a bit with his first senior run in a team at this level.  There were moments on Saturday when he looked like a Rolls Royce, just little bits of play where you can clearly see he's better at this level.  Yet then he also looked leggy at times and I think his booking and removal to avoid a red card looked down to fatigue.  
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 258
ginnywings
September 25, 2023, 4:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I think a significant factor in our three defeats has been disruption to our best starting back four. We have conceded three goals in each of those games.

Saturday and at County, Maher was out injured and Rodgers had to shuffle across to accommodate Waterfall against County, and Mullarkey against Crawley.

At Wrexham, we played a 5 with Waterfall between Rodgers and Maher.

Glennon has also been involved in 2 of those defeats, with Amos playing at Wrexham, but more as a wing back.

When we have had a back four of Mullarkey, Rodgers, Maher and Amos, we have looked at our best, and top of the league Gillingham didn't get a sniff against them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 258
The Yard Dog
September 25, 2023, 9:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
The best thing from Saturday's game was Dave Boylen's reaction when his name was read out at half-time, giving it large to Main stand, a true legend and gentlemen.
I was chuffed to bits that he recognize me outside McMenemy's main enterance after the game, came over to speak to me and shook hands, I often gave Dave a lift to the games before his illness.

This gentlemen is a true legend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 258
diehardmariner
September 26, 2023, 9:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from ginnywings
I think a significant factor in our three defeats has been disruption to our best starting back four. We have conceded three goals in each of those games.

Saturday and at County, Maher was out injured and Rodgers had to shuffle across to accommodate Waterfall against County, and Mullarkey against Crawley.

At Wrexham, we played a 5 with Waterfall between Rodgers and Maher.

Glennon has also been involved in 2 of those defeats, with Amos playing at Wrexham, but more as a wing back.

When we have had a back four of Mullarkey, Rodgers, Maher and Amos, we have looked at our best, and top of the league Gillingham didn't get a sniff against them.

Yeah really good points.  I think if I try to look through Hurst's eyes for the Wrexham and Crawley games I can just about see his logic.  Wrexham are a big team who definitely prefer to go direct and then rely on Tozer's long throw into the box.  Waterfall brings a bit more height so just for the aerial aspect of it, he's someone who can counter what they offer a bit more.  But it disrupted what was a developing relationship in the back four and with the 'keeper.  It just looked completely out of sorts with none of the three centre-backs taking control of balls, quite literally they didn't know who was doing what.   Because of Waterfall's lack of pace it meant we had to play a bit deeper too, which just dragged everyone even further back and meant Pyke wasn't only slightly isolated but he was completely devoid of any support.  

On Saturday, with Maher out he might have thought that with Orsi and Campbell up top for Crawley, it was more about mobility than physicality so Mullarkey is probably better equipped to deal with that than Waterfall.  Yet it then meant that from the side that defended so well against Bradford, there was only Rodgers in the defence.

As said earlier in the thread, there's a needless tinkering between games that is grating on me a little with Hurst.  I understand the need to keep things fresh and not everyone will be available for every game, but there's also something about consistency.  The tinkering between games feels even more frustrating when he's so rigid during games too.

Swindon are averaging 3 a game so far this season, so we need to get that previously very impressive defence back for the weekend.  6 conceded in the first 7 (which includes the County game) yet 6 in the last 2.  
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 258
sam gy
September 26, 2023, 9:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
I can see the logic for the CB change, because although he’s been near faultless the last few years, Waterfall had simply not been good enough this season when he’s been given a chance and isn’t comfortable enough on the ball or quick enough with how we’re wanting to play. I imagine if you look at just back threads you’ll see lots of similar comments, so in that regard, Mullarkey is the more like for like option with Maher, especially as we’re told he’s naturally a CB.

Obviously it didn’t work and that’s the risk you take.

Glennon being swapped for Amos, I’m a bit puzzled about as Amos hasn’t really put a foot wrong. Can only Imagine Hurst wants him in because his delivery of the ball is good and we do miss it.

I like Otis and it’s great to have him back, but feel like Arthur was hard done by to not start. He’s been decent in most games he’s played?

Hunt is a tough one. He’s got a lot of natural talent as we saw in patches during his loan spell…he just hasn’t grasped his opportunity when given it and is so prone to giving the ball away with sloppy passes. But who’s to say he won’t come good given a run. Then again he’s seemingly competing with Holohan who has been pretty decent.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 258
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 26, 2023, 10:00am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Hunt is a tough one. He’s got a lot of natural talent as we saw in patches during his loan spell…he just hasn’t grasped his opportunity when given it and is so prone to giving the ball away with sloppy passes. But who’s to say he won’t come good given a run. Then again he’s seemingly competing with Holohan who has been pretty decent.

Think what most of us “pro-Hunt” supporters object to is the very fact he never seems to be given a run of 5 or 6 matches and he must always feel he’s under immense pressure to deliver or he will be out the team. As for giving the ball away we currently have Holohan and Clifton playing alongside Conteh in midfield and neither are noted for the quality of their passing but are 100% grafters which Hurst seems to prefer. Personally I wouldn’t play either of them but would accept one workhorse in there but think we need some creativity if we are to have any chance of increasing our goal output.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 258
sam gy
September 26, 2023, 10:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Clifton is another conundrum. His quality on the ball is questionable, but we know he's got a goal in him and on the occasions he hasn't played recently, his absence (and the absence of his energy) has been so noticeable.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 258
26 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.