Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
1mickylyons, 99agrant, acko338, AdamHaddock, AdSense, AncientExiledMariner, AndyDarloFC, aussiej, AussieMariner, Balthazar Bullitt, bartgtfc, Bawmariner, bedders78, BeijingMariner, Belfast Town, benny1618, Big Jake, Bigboy, biggleswademariner, Bignic69, Bigwinn1975, BobbyCummingsTackle, Brazilnut, BruceytheFish, BulkyMariner, cannylad65, Captaincod, cardiffmariner, chelseacity, chipsandgravy, Chrisblor, Civvy at last, cjbill, CodHead, Craigy01, Crumbcrusader, crusty ole pie, Crystal, CSLM, DaleGTFC, Davec, davmariner, denni266, devs, Dick Johnson, Doctor Sanchez, drbell, Epworth Mariner, essexexile, EvilFish, FishOutOfWater, forza ivano, friskneymariner, Gainsbro_Mariner, GhostDan, Gilbertswand, Gill, gobby, GollyGTFC, Grant Baily, Grantley, grassbandits, GrimExile, GrimRob, Grimsby69, grimsbybrown, gtfc_chris, Gtfcalex, Gyranger.2, gytone, Hacksaw jimmy cook, Hagrid, HarrogateMariner, HertsGTFC, Heswall Mariner, HistonMariner, HoratiusEberlin, horsforthmariner, IlkleyMariner, immariner, ivanosandwich, Jackal, Jackie Lewis, jamesgtfc, jimgtfc, jonnyboy82, kafunanapar140909, kevikov, krispy84, Limerick Mariner, Lincspoacher, LivvosRomanNose, LocalLadGTFC, LondonMariner43, louth_in_the_south, lukeo, MaccasBoots, Madeleymariner, Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, Mappers, mariner chopper, Mariner John, Mariner Timsky, Mariner16, mariner91, Mariner93er, Mariner_501, Marinerdan, MarinerDevil, marinerjase, MarinerMal, MarinerRob, Mark GTFC, Matthew, Mayaman, Meza, Mighty_Mariner, mike502, Milky Bar Kid, mimma, Misterton Mariner, MNH1972, Morph2000, mr b, Neilo83, Nelly GTFC, nigelh, nomorefourfiveone, norfuk mariner, Northbank Mariner, NorthseaMariner, Northy81, out of town, OZMAN, PaceyMariner, Parkooo, paulmblythe, Peeler_Crab, percentagefootball, Phisch, pontoonlew, Poojah, Posh Harry, Quagmire, rancido, richiedk, RichMariner, Roast Em Bobby, Rob_in_Grimsby, Rodley Mariner, Running like emson, Ruston AT, sam gy, Saudimariner, ScottyUTM, scott, shaun the sheep, Sigone, skegmariner, smokin joe, Southwark Mariner, Spatchcock, Spidey, spikelias, SpiritOf98, SteffiMariner, stevieh, Stew0_0, Stranger in the Park, Sussexmariner, SWMariner, tanga_the_indestructible, Tavistock Mariner, Teesknees, The Dogs Testicles, thefish, Theimperialcoroner, thespiffing, thevera, tintowner, Tinymariner, Tom13, TonySmith, Total Hawsehole, Town Monkey, Townforlife, TownSNAFU5, TwoLeftFeet, UTMAdinfinitum, Vigo_Mariner, vinno69, WayneBurnettsJockstrap, Wedidntdidwe, Wemble1998, wembley_double98, WesternMariner, Withnail, wizbit, WLMariner, wormy, WOZOFGRIMSBY, wuffing, Zmariner and 1026 Guests

Just Back

This thread currently has 21,879 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
CSLM
September 26, 2023, 11:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
With the massive caveat that I wasn’t at the match (wedding anniversary) and didn’t watch the match, please can someone explain to me how so many people on this thread thought Holohan was MOTM?

Most of the moans on here seem to be reserved for Clifton, Pyke and Efete!

The first goal was Holohan’s fault for switching off and letting Kelly spin behind him.

Three minutes later, Holohan let the same player dart into space to set up the second (with help from Glennon).

I don’t like singling out players but, luckily for Gav, I don’t need to after that shambolic third goal (***).

Holohan has credit in the bank and I like him as a person. We all make mistakes, so I accept that he switched off for the first goal. However, how can you not track the same runner 3 mins later? It’s crazy.

If one of our central midfielders isn’t going to track back, we might as well play a second striker.

*** that third goal:

- Glennon - after turning his back for the first goal, he then does the complete opposite for the third and his eyes are glued to the ball. He’s watching the ball that intensely that he convinces himself that Forster’s offside.

- Eastwood - I don’t expect to see our players risking their lives or serious injury on our behalf but it’s fückin Danilo Orsi who’s wafting a leg towards the ball. It’s not Matt Rhead or Jon Parkin. Orsi’s got all the menace of a knitted scarf and could be blown over by a gust of wind (particularly if it’s whipping up off the Solent).  

I think it's a bit harsh to blame Holohan for those goals.
All 3 had massive issues with numerous players.

Gav did have a very decent game.
Not really sure how it is fair to talk about the goals conceded and not mention the goals scored. Clearly the first one that he scored was reasonably lucky but the assist for the second was a good bit of skill.

Holohan has been better than expected, fair play to him.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 258
diehardmariner
September 27, 2023, 10:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 541
Quoted from ska face
I think Hunt would benefit from Hurst & Doig putting an arm round him and saying “we’ll give you a run of 5 starts, regardless of what happens, go show us what you can do”. The kid looks like he’s treading on eggshells whenever he plays, knowing any mistake & he’ll be out the team.

Thought one of his best games for us was against Southampton where he was industrious, disciplined & kept the ball whenever we had it. Can’t remember him losing it all night, and he definitely held his own

100%.

I think there's a few that would have or still would benefit from this.  Khouri another, appreciate he's injured now.  

Very few players come straight into the team and hit the ground running.  Eisa looked absolute anonymous for the first few games and then found his feet.  It definitely helped by him going back onto the wing, but after the first two games I thought he looked ripe for the axe.

There seems two criticism's of Hunt.  The first is that he's wasteful with the ball.   I agree on this and I think he needs to work on it, but I wonder if he feels, following on from the eggshells comment above, that he simply has to impress immediately and looks for the Hollywood option too much.  

The second is his lack of physicality.  I think when he was on loan and when he first came back, this was a fair comment.  He was slight and easily knocked off the ball.  But during last season he filled out a bit and even more so over the summer.  He's not as physically imposing as someone like Kieran Green but he's not exactly a pushover either, I'd argue he's fitter than Green who struggles to last full games - as does Conteh at the minute.
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 258
sam gy
September 27, 2023, 10:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Back on the Hunt point. And playing devils advocate slightly.

Football is a cut throat business. People are already calling for Hursts head, but are also saying Hunt needs a run of 5 odd games to come good. Maybe Hurst doesn’t feel like he’s shown enough in the games he’s had (which can’t be argued really) and he can’t afford the time to see if he gets better?

It’s tough, but often In football you really do just need to grab your chance when you get it.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 258
ska face
September 27, 2023, 11:19am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
Not sure that comparison really works. Hurst makes a mistake & he’s still managing next week. Some players make a mistake and they might not get a game for another month.
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 258
diehardmariner
September 27, 2023, 12:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 541
If anything, with the grace and unwavering support that Hurst was given by 1878 during a particularly sticky spell in 21/22, you might think he would see the value in not having someone breathing down your neck and jumping on every single mistake.
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 258
Maringer
September 27, 2023, 12:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,673
Gold Stars: 189
Perhaps Hunt just isn't performing well enough in training? His absence from the squad might be nothing to do with trust and everything to do with his performance.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 258
sam gy
September 27, 2023, 12:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
If anything, with the grace and unwavering support that Hurst was given by 1878 during a particularly sticky spell in 21/22, you might think he would see the value in not having someone breathing down your neck and jumping on every single mistake.

fair

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 258
sam gy
September 27, 2023, 1:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
With the massive caveat that I wasn’t at the match (wedding anniversary) and didn’t watch the match, please can someone explain to me how so many people on this thread thought Holohan was MOTM?

Most of the moans on here seem to be reserved for Clifton, Pyke and Efete!

The first goal was Holohan’s fault for switching off and letting Kelly spin behind him.

Three minutes later, Holohan let the same player dart into space to set up the second (with help from Glennon).

I don’t like singling out players but, luckily for Gav, I don’t need to after that shambolic third goal (***).

Holohan has credit in the bank and I like him as a person. We all make mistakes, so I accept that he switched off for the first goal. However, how can you not track the same runner 3 mins later? It’s crazy.

If one of our central midfielders isn’t going to track back, we might as well play a second striker.

On the flipside, won the ball in our half, turns two players and drives forward with the ball before laying it off to Eisa for our second goal?

We can talk about Eisa's magic, but that goal doesn't happen without that great work from Gav.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 258
DB
September 27, 2023, 2:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from ska face
Not sure that comparison really works. Hurst makes a mistake & he’s still managing next week. Some players make a mistake and they might not get a game for another month.

I do agree with what you say, but footballers are professional athletes who have to perform and be at their very best for about 90 minutes. In most other professional occupations you have to be at your best 8 hours per day 5 days per week. Yes I know footballers have to train during the week but if they make mistakes while training then it's ok; whereas in other occupations it can be very detrimental.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 258
AncientExiledMariner
September 27, 2023, 7:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Hurst signed Hunt, not just once, but twice (on loan, and then permanently on a long-term deal). Do you really think Hurst didn't see something in Hunt?

He's worked with him for over a year and a half. Every single day in training. He's given him countless opportunities. He knows every mistake and also every conversation that has been had with Hunt in terms of what he needs to improve. The question Hurst asks himself is will Hunt take on that information to become the player that he needs to become. Right now, it's not looking great. Hurst started the season with him, and again he's out of the team. He's seeing something he's not happy with and he's looking for a response from Hunt. Perhaps being in the team, he feels its too risky to and the more he gets exposed, the more he loses his confidence, so he's took him out to work on something. We do not know, however, we do know that Holahan has yet again forced his way back into the team. Maybe he doesn't always set the world alight, but he seems to have the right sort of mentality, and players need to see that and try to emulate that.

I want Hunt to force Holahan out of the team, and realise that potential, but he needs to take that chance. He cannot be given it. Morris didn't get kept on and constantly pushed into the first 11, why should he?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 258
26 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.