Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot, Mayaman, TwoLeftFeet and 86 Guests

Just Back

This thread currently has 21,622 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
October 4, 2023, 7:30pm
Guest User
"Futcher was useless"!!  You have got to be joking.

"Futcher was signed by Grimsby Town from Halifax Town reserves, aged 34, by Alan Buckley for £10,000 as a short-term replacement for Andy Tillson. He went on to be a fans' favourite for five seasons, winning the Supporters Player of the Year twice in that time."
Reply: 230 - 258
diehardmariner
October 4, 2023, 7:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
All about opinions.

Always thought Harry Betmead carried him through a lot of games.
Private Message
Reply: 231 - 258
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2023, 7:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 123614

"Futcher was signed by Grimsby Town from Halifax Town reserves, aged 34, by Alan Buckley for £10,000 as a short-term replacement for Andy Tillson. He went on to be a fans' favourite for five seasons, winning the Supporters Player of the Year twice in that time."

Never watched Ben Futcher then?
Private Message
Reply: 232 - 258
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 4, 2023, 7:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from 123614

Yeah…it’s like people who say Robbie Keane was right to take revenge on Erling Haaland.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 233 - 258
October 4, 2023, 7:57pm
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Never watched Ben Futcher then?

This is about Paul Futcher, not his son.

Reply: 234 - 258
October 4, 2023, 8:01pm
Guest User
Quoted from diehardmariner
All about opinions.

Always thought Harry Betmead carried him through a lot of games.

And I haven't seen any opinion that matches yours, don't see the point of naming someone who was dead when Paul Futcher played for Town either.
Reply: 235 - 258
Mappers
October 4, 2023, 8:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Maringer
I seem to recall we started with a 3-4-3 formation, playing some really slick stuff and causing opponents a lot of problems but without winning too many games. Then, of course, he changed tack to route one and that was more successful, though notably the winning run began when Lumpaldinho started playing.

The arrival of Junior 'Flipping' Mendes didn't really have the desired effect. I'm sure he cost us a few goals by being in the way when shots from other players hit him. Absolutely useless.

The first season was superb to watch , most entertaining since Buckley's decent spell and any since for me actually .

Simon Ramsden playing as some sort of libero with the 2 lumps either side loads of legs in midfield, with 'The Frenchman for guile ' who was a bloody good player on the ball  ; Parkinson and Sestanovic on the wings absolutely terrorised some of those league 2 defences and Reddy was a different level when Slade said he had 'signed the quickest player in the league by 10 yards ' i thought he was playing him up, but he was probably even quicker in truth , especially over 10  yards . It didn't equal as many points as we deserved really , but I actually enjoyed that season

Second season the style changed a lot but it was effective and we should really have gone up automatically ; I think it was at Macclesfield when Slade thought we had gone up which seemed quite amusing at the time , but it wasn't really . Just a shame we didn't turn up against Cheltenham in that final for whatever reason .

We had the great cup games to - 'remember the oranges ' or whatever he said .

I do look back on that couple of years with fond memories , and it's telling I can remember more about those teams than most since really .

A shame Slade left and then that second spell was so bad ; I think the game had just moved on .

We didn't think at the time it would be as good as it would get for nigh on 20 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 236 - 258
Abdul19
October 4, 2023, 8:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Ramsden scored in that bloody Rochdale away game too.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 237 - 258
mariner91
October 4, 2023, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from 123614

And I haven't seen any opinion that matches yours, don't see the point of naming someone who was dead when Paul Futcher played for Town either.

Is this some sort of weird satire or do you genuinely believe that he just randomly slated Paul Futcher, a player almost universally rated by the Town fans who saw him, whilst discussing Slade’s second season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 238 - 258
Mappers
October 4, 2023, 8:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Abdul19
Ramsden scored in that bloody Rochdale away game too.

Yeah remember that !

Another one who comes to mind Slade managed to get here was Dean Gordon - at the back end of his career , but still looked decent and an absolute thunderbolt of a left foot on him . Lump was different class , and obviously Gary Cohen had potential to be some player but injuries did for him sadly .
How we could do with a Paul Bolland type now to - just a very good all round midfield player wasn't he .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 239 - 258
26 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.