Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fans Returning/Cases Rising
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 32 Guests

Fans Returning/Cases Rising

This thread currently has 23,171 views. Print
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
TheultimateMariner
September 8, 2020, 1:23pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Out of interest, has anyone on here had Covid or know anyone that has? If so what was their experience? I hear loads of it’s just like the flu, but only from people who have not been close to it.

I work in the hospital, and a few people who work in the department next to mine were given the antibody test, it came back that they had antibodies, so more than likely had it at some point but weren’t even aware!

However, on the other hand I know a lady in her early 50’s who is overweight and has breathing issues who got pneumonia in both her lungs back in March, and has only just made a full recovery now.

So I suppose it’s a case of the most vulnerable who suffer the greatest (as we already know).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 193
pen penfras
September 8, 2020, 1:26pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Out of interest, has anyone on here had Covid or know anyone that has? If so what was their experience? I hear loads of it’s just like the flu, but only from people who have not been close to it.

Quite a few. Symptoms definitely skew to be worse in the older people. The in laws had it, they're in their 40's and one has now got a blood clot on the lung as a result and is on blood thinners for at least the next 6 months. Somebody that I vaguely knew through work died in their late 50's
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 193
Theimperialcoroner
September 8, 2020, 1:26pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,206
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Chrisblor

Anyone parroting the 'it's just like the flu' line hasn't got a clue what they're on about. Here's an article from today on the long term effects experienced by a number of individuals, including young people, infected by the virus - https://www.newstatesman.com/p.....vid-19-last-patients

Thanks. Chris, that was kind of my point. I’ve just come back from the US where things are much stricter than here (or were around Charlotte)
I couldn’t believe the lack of effort around Heathrow on quarantine and other controls. There was basically nothing but some posters. Everyone wants normality but to do it with intercourse all of a plan like this govt seems to be doing is just reckless.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 193
Mayaman
September 8, 2020, 1:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
I live in Asia so my perspective may be different. The government here acted very quickly and closed schools , bars and sports events. Some people claimed it was an over reaction.   Indeed, even some articles in the western media focused on the 'draconian' methods used here.  We didn't come out of lock down until we had many days without local transmission.  Basically, that's what you have to do.  You can't ease lockdown because cases are falling - that means it is working.  The virus doesn't just say, "I give up" and sodomist off. Recently we had a second outbreak after 99 days without local transmission.  The authorities are flummoxed as to where it came from.  They acted swiftly again and with testing and tracing, they seem to have nailed it. We all still have to follow social distancing rules and wear masks.  In my opinion the fact that the mask wearing is common place here anyway, has been a factor on it not spreading so rapidly.   Still the jury's out on their effectiveness but for me wearing a face covering is no hardship.  I find it hard to understand why a lot of European countries are so against it and protest.  

That said, I guess you have factor in the economy and livelihoods. Surely, grounds could manage social distancing  and it being open air. it's possible to play games with a limited number of fans. Let's hope the games go ahead. It's an exciting time for Town, shame it's being spoilt by a bloody protein. UTM and stay safe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 193
grimsby pete
September 8, 2020, 1:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222

No and I don't know anybody who knows anybody that has had it.

BUT

We know it effects the elderly and people with other health problems a lot more than the young and fit.

That's why I say why not just isolate the ones most at risk.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 193
Hants.Mariner
September 8, 2020, 1:44pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 1
Having been sat on a train to work this morning that was rammed full of students returning to college none of whom were attempting to social distance at all and only about 50% of whom were wearing masks, I think it is only a matter of when, not if, we have a huge increase in cases and deaths. I am assuming the situation I saw this morning in Farnborough is being mirrored nationwide.
So when that increase happens what comes next? Even local lockdowns are going to mean some teams will be unable to travel and play games leading to a disparity in games played, and will people feel comfortable watching sport whilst people are dying again in large numbers anyway.
I think we can forget above crowds being allowed into stadiums again any time soon. Suddenly that COVID clause being inserted into players contracts looks like a very sensible precaution.

The world weighs on my shoulders
But what am I to do
You sometimes drive me crazy
But I worry about you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 193
blundellpork
September 8, 2020, 1:52pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
A chap at my work in his early 50’s died, having had Covid, although I don’t know whether he had other health conditions.

A girl I know who is late 20’s describes it as being like the flu, but could barely walk more than 2-3 steps without stopping and having to gasp for air. She was off work for 4 weeks, but 3 months later still has bad days where she gets very breathless after only a little activity. Her other half caught it and apart from a mild cough for a week had no other symptoms.

I would speculate that the increased testing capacity is picking up more cases that wouldn’t have been identified in the earlier lower testing days, and wonder whether either the warmer weather has suppressed the strength of the virus, or whether it has mutated into a milder form.

Either way, we have no knowledge of the long term effects of this illness as to whether permanent damage is done. I continue to avoid unnecessary contact so as to avoid falling ill myself, or passing it on to loved ones, who are older or who may have weaker immune systems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 193
Mikey_345
September 8, 2020, 2:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,384
Gold Stars: 105

Late April. I’m 29 and it’s the illest I’ve ever felt, was very worried at the time.

Was at times really difficult to just sit and breath normally without pain from coughing. Temperature and the fever was also Ridiculous.

Must admit I felt fatigued for weeks and weeks afterwards.

Regrettably had 3 family friends pass away from this. No underline health conditions and generally fit and well, which is why I have no time for this bullshit of “it’s just flu” from some people.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 193
Heisenberg
September 8, 2020, 2:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,044
Gold Stars: 93
I have not had it, to my knowledge, but 3 years ago I had the standard flu for the first time in 17 years.  I tell you now, I had forgotten how awful it can be.  Some brush it off as 'only the flu', but many people haven't had that either.  I've probably had the proper flu 3 or 4 times in my life, and it wiped the floor with me.  I don't have much weight to lose, but after 5 days I'd lost 8 pounds!!

I have no idea how Covid would affect me (probably not much), but to dismiss the flu as just a sniffle is wrong.  THAT is called the common cold.  The flu is a whole other matter, there's no wonder it kills old people.  I was only 41 and wanted to die right there and then, I couldn't get off the sofa for nearly a week!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 193
pontoonlew
September 8, 2020, 2:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
We have to get on with things and learn to live alongside it. The media have absolutely revelled in reporting the worst news they can despite their being a whole host of reasons why cases are going up.

Unfortunately if you’re older or vulnerable it’s going to be a long time of isolating and generally being careful but it’s the nature of the beast. If you’re young and fit you simply have to be allowed to get back into the world as safely as possible, it makes absolutely no sense to lock those people away when it poses very little risk to them. I totally get that they could pass it on, but if you are vulnerable you’re going to have to keep away from those people for a good while longer.

Back to the media, they’ve been an absolute flipping disgrace from start to finish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 193
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fans Returning/Cases Rising

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.