Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, September 8, 2020, 7:20am
Whats everyones thoughts? Cases on the rise, do you think the Gov might postpone the supposed start date
Posted by: Meza, September 8, 2020, 8:18am; Reply: 1
Case on the rise.  How many people do you think have covid but not showing symptoms.  I reckon a large population, so when people get tested it's classed as rises.  How many people are now dying of Covid you don't seem to hear much about the deaths anymore just rises.  I could have covid and quarantining isn't going to help until a vaccine is done.  It would mean staying indoors permanently until the vaccine but we can't live like that just need to be sensible.
Posted by: mariner tommy, September 8, 2020, 8:19am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Hagrid
Whats everyones thoughts? Cases on the rise, do you think the Gov might postpone the supposed start date

I would say that’ll depend on the outcome of the trials at the Abbey Stadium.
Posted by: pen penfras, September 8, 2020, 8:29am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Meza
Case on the rise.  How many people do you think have covid but not showing symptoms.  I reckon a large population, so when people get tested it's classed as rises.  How many people are now dying of Covid you don't seem to hear much about the deaths anymore just rises.  I could have covid and quarantining isn't going to help until a vaccine is done.  It would mean staying indoors permanently until the vaccine but we can't live like that just need to be sensible.

You surely understand that cases rise before deaths? So obviously a rise in cases will very likely lead to a rise in deaths in a months time, and they grow exponentially if something doesn't keep them in check.
Posted by: Rick12, September 8, 2020, 8:42am; Reply: 4
Sad to see cases are on the rise.Thought we may have been past the worst.Hopefully this is a blip as I want fans to return to the boxing and football as soon as possible. .Interesting to note though that in national geographic magazine last months issue viruses have always killed humans and new ones will most likely appear once Covid is controlled.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 8, 2020, 8:43am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Hagrid

No doubt they will but how does that square with kids back to school, people back in pubs and people being encouraged back to work?

Whilst typing one person on breakfast news says young people should be careful in case they give the virus to granny, the next guest contradicts that by saying young people aren't badly affected and should remain at school. So which one is it, kids carry the virus and potentially give it to granny or kids are unaffected?

It just said on the news that 800 people are hospitalized in the UK with the virus. A good guess would be that the vast majority of those are very elderly and some/most would be in and out of hospital with serious illnesses. The number of deaths is virtually nil, those that do succumb are invariably very poorly anyway.

800 hospital cases out of a population of nearly 70 million seems a reasonable risk to me to go to an outdoor sports event but they seem to want to keep scaring us to death.

If cases rocket and people start getting seriously ill from the virus then we would have to act but until then we should be able to go about our daily lives whilst using reasonable safeguards.
Posted by: denni266, September 8, 2020, 9:06am; Reply: 6
I think we are just going to have to live with it for now. The country cannot survive without people working and earning money, The world banks wont keep lending countrys money there has to be a limit .Football is going to be different along with many things , but sooner or later fans have to be allowed to go back or pro football will end without cash flow.
I cant see this season finishing tbh unless fans are allowed back in , too many clubs will fold and it will the end of an era for many sports  never mind industry
Posted by: carrot top, September 8, 2020, 9:07am; Reply: 7
Quoted from pen penfras

You surely understand that cases rise before deaths? So obviously a rise in cases will very likely lead to a rise in deaths in a months time, and they grow exponentially if something doesn't keep them in check.

yet another buzzword on the street to instill fear. Our National Game along with many other businesses dying and the figures still are not has bad as a flu season. If you test positive and still feel well what does it tell you. Protect the vulnerable and let everyone else get on with their lives
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 8, 2020, 9:17am; Reply: 8
Quoted from pen penfras

I can't find the post but I saw a graphic yesterday that showed cases across Europe have been growing considerably over the last month but deaths are still very flat and near zero.

More people are getting tested now so you would expect higher numbers when you consider 99% of people with the virus are perfectly fine. Previously only hospital admissions were tested and then it extended to key workers. Now anyone can get a test. A very low percentage of tests are coming back as positive though which correlates with it being cold and flu season.

On that subject, my son has been back at school since last Thursday and half his class have a cold already!
Posted by: pen penfras, September 8, 2020, 9:18am; Reply: 9
Quoted from carrot top

yet another buzzword on the street to instill fear. Our National Game along with many other businesses dying and the figures still are not has bad as a flu season. If you test positive and still feel well what does it tell you. Protect the vulnerable and let everyone else get on with their lives

I completely agree with that part. But the virus does spread exponentially, if it didn't then there would never have been a problem. It has 100% been worse than flu season, deaths this year are double a bad flu season and that's with locking down the country for 5 months. A vaccine changes everything, as it has with the flu, but we don't have one.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, September 8, 2020, 9:32am; Reply: 10
Quoted from carrot top

I've said this before and I'll probably say it again but there is no virus, it's a flu bug and yes people are dying.
Look at the figures from Jan/Feb/March 2018 and no one batted an eyelid at 150,000 in three months.
Thing is we're used to being controlled, it happens every week at football where fans are corralled, herded around, told to do this, do that, walk there, don't walk there etc, etc, etc.
Then at the end of the day the police turn around and say.. yes we did order them about but as you can see, there was no trouble so it was for the best.

My mother is 89 and in a care home, we've not been able to visit since March.
Since April 7th she's had 16 falls, 11 hospital admissions, a broken upper arm, broken shoulder, smashed face and split head.
Humberside police, Bupa head office, the council safeguarding team and social services all involved.
Her doctor told me that because they don't enter care homes and do everything by telephone if my mother dies it will be recorded as a covid death.

The landlord of the pub up the road collapsed with a heart attack, took to hospital and died a couple of days later without regaining consciousness. While on a ventilation system he was tested as they do with all hospital admissions and guess what?
He died of covid.
His widow is battling this by all accounts.
Posted by: carrot top, September 8, 2020, 9:56am; Reply: 11
Quoted from pen penfras

I completely agree with that part. But the virus does spread exponentially, if it didn't then there would never have been a problem. It has 100% been worse than flu season, deaths this year are double a bad flu season and that's with locking down the country for 5 months. A vaccine changes everything, as it has with the flu, but we don't have one.

That is not true I’m afraid. 50000 ish deaths from flu 2015 (44000 excess deaths) and 69000 deaths 1969 or 67 can’t quite remember. No lockdowns and no mention either. There are plenty of research sites out there other MSM
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 8, 2020, 11:31am; Reply: 12
There has been a large reduction in hospital admissions for Covid.  Increased knowledge and better treatments have then reduced the number of deaths.  Eg, that drug with the long name and clinical decisions taken to delay putting serIously ill patients on mechanical ventilators.

Younger people can generally manage the risks from Covid.  Elderly people are likely to die of something (which is often seasonal flu, as mentioned above).  

Life has to go as best it can with sensible management of the risks.  Otherwise, there will be a bigger, long term disaster.
Posted by: pen penfras, September 8, 2020, 12:00pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from carrot top

That is not true I’m afraid. 50000 ish deaths from flu 2015 (44000 excess deaths) and 69000 deaths 1969 or 67 can’t quite remember. No lockdowns and no mention either. There are plenty of research sites out there other MSM

So there were fewer excess deaths in 2015 without shutting down the whole damn country for half of the year. Sounds exactly the same.

Mass flu vaccinations weren't around in the 60's, so slightly more deaths without having shut the country down for half a year (and this year isn't over yet anyway).

Come on, I'm as much in favour of getting back to normal life as anybody. But it doesn't change the fact that this disease IS worse than flu, certainly until a vaccine is found.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 8, 2020, 12:15pm; Reply: 14
They say the young mostly shrug it off and most don't even know they have the covid.

So why don't they just isolate the vulnerable and let everybody else carry on as normal.

I don't want to isolate again but if that helps the country get back on its feet I would gladly do it.

As long as I can watch the footy on the telly.  ;)
Posted by: LH, September 8, 2020, 12:33pm; Reply: 15
We’d be back a lot sooner if the selfish/thick in our society followed basic guidelines, rules and laws.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 8, 2020, 12:46pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from LH
We’d be back a lot sooner if the selfish/thick in our society followed basic guidelines, rules and laws.

Much as I would like to believe this, I very much doubt it. When this business is the subject of historical research long after I have left the mortal coil,  my bet is that, over the long run, countries with heavy rules will have fared no better in fatalities than those without.

Unfortunately I won’t be around to collect on the bet. ;)

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 8, 2020, 12:51pm; Reply: 17
Out of interest, has anyone on here had Covid or know anyone that has? If so what was their experience? I hear loads of it’s just like the flu, but only from people who have not been close to it.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 8, 2020, 1:20pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Out of interest, has anyone on here had Covid or know anyone that has? If so what was their experience? I hear loads of it’s just like the flu, but only from people who have not been close to it.

Four neighbours of mine have had it. I live in a rural area so they are distanced neighbours.

All 4 are well into their seventies with various health problems but all have come through unscathed but two were hospitalized but one had only cold like symptoms.

We are all different and I guess we will all react differently if we caught the virus which is the unpredictable part, but you can see across the country there are very few hospital admissions and deaths, though very sad, are very few indeed.

The virus may mutate, it may not. It may grow stronger or may weaken but however you view it it is not sensible based on current hospital admissions or deaths to ruin the economy or our way of life.

They say the infection rate is rising, yet serious illness is falling which seems at odds if this is the killer virus we were led to believe.

I think the unintended consequences of lockdown will be more deadly than the virus itself but going by the rhetoric of the experts this morning I think we can brace ourselves for more lockdown measures. It would be nice if some pertinent questions were asked of experts as to how deaths are virtually nil yet we still can't go about our normal lives and how long do they expect people to comply until a vaccine is found.

Posted by: Chrisblor, September 8, 2020, 1:21pm; Reply: 19

Anyone parroting the 'it's just like the flu' line hasn't got a clue what they're on about. Here's an article from today on the long term effects experienced by a number of individuals, including young people, infected by the virus - https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/health/2020/09/rise-long-haulers-how-long-does-covid-19-last-patients
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, September 8, 2020, 1:23pm; Reply: 20

I work in the hospital, and a few people who work in the department next to mine were given the antibody test, it came back that they had antibodies, so more than likely had it at some point but weren’t even aware!

However, on the other hand I know a lady in her early 50’s who is overweight and has breathing issues who got pneumonia in both her lungs back in March, and has only just made a full recovery now.

So I suppose it’s a case of the most vulnerable who suffer the greatest (as we already know).
Posted by: pen penfras, September 8, 2020, 1:26pm; Reply: 21

Quite a few. Symptoms definitely skew to be worse in the older people. The in laws had it, they're in their 40's and one has now got a blood clot on the lung as a result and is on blood thinners for at least the next 6 months. Somebody that I vaguely knew through work died in their late 50's
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 8, 2020, 1:26pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Chrisblor

Anyone parroting the 'it's just like the flu' line hasn't got a clue what they're on about. Here's an article from today on the long term effects experienced by a number of individuals, including young people, infected by the virus - https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/health/2020/09/rise-long-haulers-how-long-does-covid-19-last-patients

Thanks. Chris, that was kind of my point. I’ve just come back from the US where things are much stricter than here (or were around Charlotte)
I couldn’t believe the lack of effort around Heathrow on quarantine and other controls. There was basically nothing but some posters. Everyone wants normality but to do it with intercourse all of a plan like this govt seems to be doing is just reckless.
Posted by: Mayaman, September 8, 2020, 1:28pm; Reply: 23
I live in Asia so my perspective may be different. The government here acted very quickly and closed schools , bars and sports events. Some people claimed it was an over reaction.   Indeed, even some articles in the western media focused on the 'draconian' methods used here.  We didn't come out of lock down until we had many days without local transmission.  Basically, that's what you have to do.  You can't ease lockdown because cases are falling - that means it is working.  The virus doesn't just say, "I give up" and sodomist off. Recently we had a second outbreak after 99 days without local transmission.  The authorities are flummoxed as to where it came from.  They acted swiftly again and with testing and tracing, they seem to have nailed it. We all still have to follow social distancing rules and wear masks.  In my opinion the fact that the mask wearing is common place here anyway, has been a factor on it not spreading so rapidly.   Still the jury's out on their effectiveness but for me wearing a face covering is no hardship.  I find it hard to understand why a lot of European countries are so against it and protest.  

That said, I guess you have factor in the economy and livelihoods. Surely, grounds could manage social distancing  and it being open air. it's possible to play games with a limited number of fans. Let's hope the games go ahead. It's an exciting time for Town, shame it's being spoilt by a bloody protein. UTM and stay safe.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 8, 2020, 1:28pm; Reply: 24

No and I don't know anybody who knows anybody that has had it.

BUT

We know it effects the elderly and people with other health problems a lot more than the young and fit.

That's why I say why not just isolate the ones most at risk.
Posted by: Hants.Mariner, September 8, 2020, 1:44pm; Reply: 25
Having been sat on a train to work this morning that was rammed full of students returning to college none of whom were attempting to social distance at all and only about 50% of whom were wearing masks, I think it is only a matter of when, not if, we have a huge increase in cases and deaths. I am assuming the situation I saw this morning in Farnborough is being mirrored nationwide.
So when that increase happens what comes next? Even local lockdowns are going to mean some teams will be unable to travel and play games leading to a disparity in games played, and will people feel comfortable watching sport whilst people are dying again in large numbers anyway.
I think we can forget above crowds being allowed into stadiums again any time soon. Suddenly that COVID clause being inserted into players contracts looks like a very sensible precaution.
Posted by: blundellpork, September 8, 2020, 1:52pm; Reply: 26
A chap at my work in his early 50’s died, having had Covid, although I don’t know whether he had other health conditions.

A girl I know who is late 20’s describes it as being like the flu, but could barely walk more than 2-3 steps without stopping and having to gasp for air. She was off work for 4 weeks, but 3 months later still has bad days where she gets very breathless after only a little activity. Her other half caught it and apart from a mild cough for a week had no other symptoms.

I would speculate that the increased testing capacity is picking up more cases that wouldn’t have been identified in the earlier lower testing days, and wonder whether either the warmer weather has suppressed the strength of the virus, or whether it has mutated into a milder form.

Either way, we have no knowledge of the long term effects of this illness as to whether permanent damage is done. I continue to avoid unnecessary contact so as to avoid falling ill myself, or passing it on to loved ones, who are older or who may have weaker immune systems.
Posted by: Mikey_345, September 8, 2020, 2:34pm; Reply: 27

Late April. I’m 29 and it’s the illest I’ve ever felt, was very worried at the time.

Was at times really difficult to just sit and breath normally without pain from coughing. Temperature and the fever was also Ridiculous.

Must admit I felt fatigued for weeks and weeks afterwards.

Regrettably had 3 family friends pass away from this. No underline health conditions and generally fit and well, which is why I have no time for this bullshit of “it’s just flu” from some people.

Posted by: Heisenberg, September 8, 2020, 2:35pm; Reply: 28
I have not had it, to my knowledge, but 3 years ago I had the standard flu for the first time in 17 years.  I tell you now, I had forgotten how awful it can be.  Some brush it off as 'only the flu', but many people haven't had that either.  I've probably had the proper flu 3 or 4 times in my life, and it wiped the floor with me.  I don't have much weight to lose, but after 5 days I'd lost 8 pounds!!

I have no idea how Covid would affect me (probably not much), but to dismiss the flu as just a sniffle is wrong.  THAT is called the common cold.  The flu is a whole other matter, there's no wonder it kills old people.  I was only 41 and wanted to die right there and then, I couldn't get off the sofa for nearly a week!
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 8, 2020, 2:57pm; Reply: 29
We have to get on with things and learn to live alongside it. The media have absolutely revelled in reporting the worst news they can despite their being a whole host of reasons why cases are going up.

Unfortunately if you’re older or vulnerable it’s going to be a long time of isolating and generally being careful but it’s the nature of the beast. If you’re young and fit you simply have to be allowed to get back into the world as safely as possible, it makes absolutely no sense to lock those people away when it poses very little risk to them. I totally get that they could pass it on, but if you are vulnerable you’re going to have to keep away from those people for a good while longer.

Back to the media, they’ve been an absolute flipping disgrace from start to finish.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, September 8, 2020, 3:04pm; Reply: 30
It ripped through my office in Early March.I somehow managed to avoid it but my mate who is 10 years younger than me said he felt worse than he had ever felt for 48 hours but was fine after that. Two women in their forties are working part time as part of a phased return to work. Neither wen't to hospital, but both say that they are still really struggling. One of them I  had to stop for about 5 minutes halfway when walking to her car yesterday. The car park is like 100 meters away. I don't want to catch this fecking thing and be stuffed for six months like them.
Posted by: wuffing, September 8, 2020, 3:10pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Heisenberg
I have not had it, to my knowledge, but 3 years ago I had the standard flu for the first time in 17 years.  I tell you now, I had forgotten how awful it can be.  Some brush it off as 'only the flu', but many people haven't had that either.  I've probably had the proper flu 3 or 4 times in my life, and it wiped the floor with me.  I don't have much weight to lose, but after 5 days I'd lost 8 pounds!!

I have no idea how Covid would affect me (probably not much), but to dismiss the flu as just a sniffle is wrong.  THAT is called the common cold.  The flu is a whole other matter, there's no wonder it kills old people.  I was only 41 and wanted to die right there and then, I couldn't get off the sofa for nearly a week!

Agreed. The flu is horrendous. In words it is like being attacked internally and it runs amok until your body eventually heats up to molten laver levels to kill the bloody thing!
Posted by: LH, September 8, 2020, 3:16pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Heisenberg

I had something similar in early-mid December. Absolutely KOd me for 12 days. I’m a runner and do around 15km a week usually but it took me a month or so to get back out. The closest thing I’ve had to that was around the time Swine Flu was going about and I was signed off work for a week. There’s evidence that Covid was in France in December/January so it’s not unbelieveable to think I might have had it then.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, September 8, 2020, 3:42pm; Reply: 33
Bolton's pubs are being shut. Until both the Govt stops F***ing the track and trace up and people keep on being wazzocks and not wearing masks I don't think we'll be in a football ground until their is a vaccine. I hope I'm wrong.
Posted by: RichMariner, September 8, 2020, 4:18pm; Reply: 34
I haven't had it, but I've listened to people who have, and read what they've written about it. It varies from 'didn't bother me' to absolute tragedy.

We're all keen to live a 'normal' life, and do what we wanna do, and go out drinking, and go to the footy, etc. But in a few years time, or when my son grows up and can't quite get his head around the magnitude of this pandemic that occurred when he was just 2, I want to be able to hold my head high and say I did everything the government told me to do in order to limit the spread of the virus.

Our generation will be judged on what we do today. This isn't a world war but it's something that will certainly define us in years and decades to come, so we need to unite and do the right thing.

It's been a long six months but we need to decide whether we want to continue making the same sort of sacrifices to sustain what we have today, or not bother with the sacrifices and dip back into more months of lockdown and hardship, where our already fragile economy takes another almighty battering and more jobs (and lives) are lost.

To those who aren't wearing masks or are flouting the rules and regulations in place: stop being selfish. Ride this out for a little while longer and we stand a better chance of coming out of this sooner.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, September 8, 2020, 4:32pm; Reply: 35

Anyone parroting the 'it's just like the flu' line hasn't got a clue what they're on about. Here's an article from today on the long term effects experienced by a number of individuals, including young people, infected by the virus - https://www.newstatesman.com/p.....vid-19-last-patients

This is not just like the flu yes the stats do raise key points about Total shut Down is it justified. Only history will truly have the final say I reside in one of the worst /highest affected ares in the uk and believe me it kills We are all looking at ways to '' Get back to Normal''  I think it's probably at least 6 months
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 8, 2020, 4:46pm; Reply: 36
Bizarrely, I had all the symptoms last November having been sat near a coughing Chinese family in a London theatre at the end of October. Hacking cough, raging temperature, breathlessness, loss of taste and smell which lasted at least a month. Would love an antibody test but can't get one - my antibodies have probably gone by now anyway!

If it was Covid, I felt awful and totally different to the flu which I'd had 18 months previous.
Posted by: wuffing, September 8, 2020, 5:44pm; Reply: 37
One thing that is standing out in all of this...and that is: if you get the flu, you know it is the flu virus because of it's severity. If you get a cold, then you know it's a cold. You are a little rough for couple of days, but it doesn't stop you doing things. Various other ailments come and go, but this covid virus, how come if it is a rip-raging pandemic, some that have it don't know that they have got/had it, whilst others may suffer and die? Is it a clever little fellow/bug that can decide which body to run ragged? Why is it so selective? Does it think 'I don't like this geezer, he can have the full volume,' and 'oh I like this fellow's persona, I'll go easy on this one.' Surely if it is as vicious as it is made out to be, then why does it differentiate, because a virus such as flu treats every body it infects in the same way, as with a cold. And as for vulnerability, well the flu or a cold will still affect you in the same way!

Any virologists out there that can shed light?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 8, 2020, 5:56pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Bizarrely, I had all the symptoms last November having been sat near a coughing Chinese family in a London theatre at the end of October. Hacking cough, raging temperature, breathlessness, loss of taste and smell which lasted at least a month. Would love an antibody test but can't get one - my antibodies have probably gone by now anyway!

If it was Covid, I felt awful and totally different to the flu which I'd had 18 months previous.

Me and the wife came down with a really bad cold in January, a few days after I had been to Scotland on a Saturday. I stopped at some services and let some school kids in front of me. They looked like they had been on a skiing trip or something.

I was breathless for a few days and absolutely exhausted. I lost my sense of taste and smell for about 3 weeks and had a hacking cough for a couple of days. It wasn't like flu which I had 11 years ago but it took about 3 months for me to feel 100% again. I rocked up at work every day because that's what you do and a colleague came down with it. A marathon runner in his late 40's, he had a week off and was breathless walking to work when he returned.

We all had an antibody test in June and all of us were negative...
Posted by: pen penfras, September 8, 2020, 6:06pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from wuffing
One thing that is standing out in all of this...and that is: if you get the flu, you know it is the flu virus because of it's severity. If you get a cold, then you know it's a cold. You are a little rough for couple of days, but it doesn't stop you doing things. Various other ailments come and go, but this covid virus, how come if it is a rip-raging pandemic, some that have it don't know that they have got/had it, whilst others may suffer and die? Is it a clever little fellow/bug that can decide which body to run ragged? Why is it so selective? Does it think 'I don't like this geezer, he can have the full volume,' and 'oh I like this fellow's persona, I'll go easy on this one.' Surely if it is as vicious as it is made out to be, then why does it differentiate, because a virus such as flu treats every body it infects in the same way, as with a cold. And as for vulnerability, well the flu or a cold will still affect you in the same way!

Any virologists out there that can shed light?

There are lots of reasons that a virus is different for different people, and colds and flu are exactly the same. It can be antibodies from a previous illness or high t-cell count give you a boost. Different blood types can be more resistant and I'm sure a whole host of other genetic traits can help or hinder.

I don't think enough is known about why this virus is so varied, but it's the perfect storm of most people not being badly enough afftected that they spread it about, but enough people get seriously ill that it locks up the health services
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, September 8, 2020, 6:12pm; Reply: 40
People comparing covid to flu as if the flu is just a bit of a cold blatantly have never had the flu, likewise people who claim to feel a bit 'fluey' or saying they have a 'touch of flu'. I've been getting a flu jab every year since I suffered a bout of flu as I never want to feel that ill again.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 8, 2020, 6:12pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from grimsby pete

No and I don't know anybody who knows anybody that has had it.

BUT

We know it effects the elderly and people with other health problems a lot more than the young and fit.

That's why I say why not just isolate the ones most at risk.

I don't have a problem with isolating old farts like us Pete in fact I found my period of shielding (which I have chosen to continue incidentally) was absolutely great, I enjoyed it tremendously but those who are not old farts and who are not isolating MUST observe the rules (social distancing, masks etc) if anything is going to make a difference apart from the much promised (but, like Town's promotion, highly unlikely for years) vaccine.
The government took the cork fully out of the bottle when they re-opened pubs bars and restaurants Big mistake and impossible now to reverse on a nationwide basis so please, all you fornicators on the urine in Seaview Street this weekend think of me and Pete !
Posted by: mimma, September 8, 2020, 6:20pm; Reply: 42
As a matter of interest, the St. Ledger weekend is being allowed to go ahead with up to 20,000 people expected to attend.

There seems to be one law for football, and a completely different law for horse racing. Can anyone explain why?
Posted by: Meza, September 8, 2020, 6:22pm; Reply: 43

Yes, my Brothers wife's step dad who cycles everywhere and for someone in he late 50's early 60's has no underlying health conditions and is fit as an ox got covid and nearly died.  He ended up at Castle Hill, he got what most experience short breath, fatigue then lungs filled with fluid and somehow bless him, he made it through.  

For me it has to be individual immune system related, im sure i have had covid back in February when onsite at clients (Gloucester) when the Cheltenham Festival was on.  2nd day in the week i felt strange, went dizzy for 10 mins, felt sick and had hot flushes (no not the menopause haha) i took some paracetamol and after 30 mins or so i was fine.  But i said earlier if you dont get tested you dont know if you have covid, and if you do but not showing symptoms  and appear immune to it what can you do, self isolate not to pass it on to others, cos i'd be in permanent lock down if thats the case until a vaccine is found.

Its the deaths from covid we need to keep an eye out, not the rise in cases.  If everyone in the country got tested you had a huge rise in cases im sure, but how many of these cases are showing immunity?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 8, 2020, 6:26pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Ipswin

I don't have a problem with isolating old farts like us Pete in fact I found my period of shielding (which I have chosen to continue incidentally) was absolutely great, I enjoyed it tremendously but those who are not old farts and who are not isolating MUST observe the rules (social distancing, masks etc) if anything is going to make a difference apart from the much promised (but, like Town's promotion, highly unlikely for years) vaccine.
The government took the cork fully out of the bottle when they re-opened pubs bars and restaurants Big mistake and impossible now to reverse on a nationwide basis so please, all you fornicators on the urine in Seaview Street this weekend think of me and Pete !

As another old fart I have to agree Swin. I would say that the government was wrong in its choice of what to open and how to behave in places like bars and pubs. That doesn't mean it is wrong to open other things though. In fact it is essential they do but they have to be opened a bit at a time and rules applied, not because I think rules about masks and distance are particularly effective but because people need to be take some social discipline about it, not just blast back to normality in one go. I can see that being anarchic.

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 8, 2020, 6:33pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from mimma
As a matter of interest, the St. Ledger weekend is being allowed to go ahead with up to 20,000 people expected to attend.

There seems to be one law for football, and a completely different law for horse racing. Can anyone explain why?

Dido Harding and her connections to Johnson
Posted by: mimma, September 8, 2020, 6:50pm; Reply: 46
Who's Dido Harding?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 8, 2020, 7:15pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from mimma
Who's Dido Harding?

Head of Test and Trace and the new health authority, also ex Talk Talk, on The Jockey Club board and a big mate of Hancock. Also married to some Tory MP who wants to privatise the NHS.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 8, 2020, 7:16pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from mimma
Who's Dido Harding?

Tweet 1266819992684822532 will appear here...
Posted by: toontown, September 8, 2020, 7:30pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Meza

Yes, my Brothers wife's step dad who cycles everywhere and for someone in he late 50's early 60's has no underlying health conditions and is fit as an ox got covid and nearly died.  He ended up at Castle Hill, he got what most experience short breath, fatigue then lungs filled with fluid and somehow bless him, he made it through.  

For me it has to be individual immune system related, im sure i have had covid back in February when onsite at clients (Gloucester) when the Cheltenham Festival was on.  2nd day in the week i felt strange, went dizzy for 10 mins, felt sick and had hot flushes (no not the menopause haha) i took some paracetamol and after 30 mins or so i was fine.  But i said earlier if you dont get tested you dont know if you have covid, and if you do but not showing symptoms  and appear immune to it what can you do, self isolate not to pass it on to others, cos i'd be in permanent lock down if thats the case until a vaccine is found.

Its the deaths from covid we need to keep an eye out, not the rise in cases.  If everyone in the country got tested you had a huge rise in cases im sure, but how many of these cases are showing immunity?

If your tested and are positive u don't have to isolate forever! It's 7 days I think. Or maybe 14 cant recall. The virus ceases to be transmittable after a while.
Posted by: Meza, September 8, 2020, 7:38pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from toontown

If your tested and are positive u don't have to isolate forever! It's 7 days I think. Or maybe 14 cant recall. The virus ceases to be transmittable after a while.

then mine would have long gone as i got furloughed for 3 months and never went anywhere, then came off furlough but worked from home. now im back in the office  :)
Posted by: wuffing, September 8, 2020, 7:59pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Head of Test and Trace and the new health authority, also ex Talk Talk, on The Jockey Club board and a big mate of Hancock. Also married to some Tory MP who wants to privatise the NHS.

Bang on Old Codger and when the Tories eventually roll out full privatisation you can catch what you like 'cos if you can't pay for treatment you've had it!
Posted by: Stadium, September 8, 2020, 10:36pm; Reply: 52
Gatherings of six or more to be banned in the UK from Monday.

Tweet 1303444751434174464 will appear here...
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 8, 2020, 10:38pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from carrot top

Errr it’s not the flu season . That’s in the winter .
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 8, 2020, 10:40pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from mimma

Got a feeling there’s going to be considerably less than that there for the racing now .....
Posted by: Stadium, September 8, 2020, 10:41pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Got a feeling there’s going to be considerably less than that there for the racing now .....

New rules from Monday.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 8, 2020, 10:43pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Stadium

New rules from Monday.

Think back to Cheltenham. Not sure the government will allow any chance of a repeat , even with reduced attendance at Donny
Posted by: Hagrid, September 8, 2020, 10:48pm; Reply: 57
Well the Woman in charge of track and trace is also the Jockey Club Owner or manager something like that so i bet it does go ahead. Not looking promising in terms of a return for us though
Posted by: Stadium, September 8, 2020, 10:49pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Hagrid
Well the Woman in charge of track and trace is also the Jockey Club Owner or manager something like that so i bet it does go ahead. Not looking promising in terms of a return for us though

This.
Posted by: tashee69, September 8, 2020, 11:07pm; Reply: 59
Am I one of the few that think along the lines of, the more people that get tested, the more people are going to be positive. Bit like speed cameras, the more you put up, the more get caught speeding. They were speeding before but nobody knew about it.
There’s been quite a few people tested positive that showed no signs of having it.
Posted by: Poojah, September 8, 2020, 11:11pm; Reply: 60
Genuine question; what does this actually mean for the reopening of football grounds? Obviously the 1,800 to 2,200 capacity mooted is a bigger number than 6 (I’m literally that good at maths), but in the case of Town we’ve been quite clear in limiting ‘bubbles’ to a maximum of 6.

For instance, under these new rules you could easily have many groups of 6 sitting in a pub or restaurant, or walking round a park or zoo - what about sporting arenas?

There are some differences between those scenarios, in particular a large number of people trying to arrive at the same place at the same time, but it doesn’t seem immediately clear what this means for live sport.
Posted by: mimma, September 8, 2020, 11:18pm; Reply: 61
You are right Tashee, there is a lot more testing now compared to when the virus first arrived here, so you are not comparing like for like. The other point is that you only get tested if you are showing symptoms, so you are more likely to find it. You cannot get tested if you haven't any symptoms.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, September 8, 2020, 11:37pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from mimma
You are right Tashee, there is a lot more testing now compared to when the virus first arrived here, so you are not comparing like for like. The other point is that you only get tested if you are showing symptoms, so you are more likely to find it. You cannot get tested if you haven't any symptoms.

Symptoms.
There's new symptoms every day.
Soon you'll be advised to get tested if you stub your toe or have a wet fart.

Posted by: ginnywings, September 9, 2020, 12:25am; Reply: 63
Quoted from Stadium
Gatherings of six or more to be banned in the UK from Monday.

Tweet 1303444751434174464 will appear here...

Massive pi$$ up at the weekend then. You think they would have learned from last time.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 9, 2020, 6:14am; Reply: 64
Who the intercourse knows? It’s all becoming increasingly wishy washy, more so than it has so far.

I mean I’ll give them some credit, they’ve been consistently clueless throughout the whole thing.

As for sorting events, who knows? I’d imagine the bubbles of no more than 6 is standard across the stadiums so that shouldn’t make a difference. It’s an outdoor event too which, as they’ve told us several times, being outdoors is better than inside.

I find it odd that these things are being enforced at future dates; if the issue is real then enforce it from now, not in a weeks time.

Poojah makes a good point about people arriving at the same time to enter the stadium but I’m sure among that thesis of a ST pack it mentions or suggests a staggered entry time, where ST will be given a time frame they have to arrive by. I’m not sure this is either sensible or worthwhile but it might go a long way to explain how they’ll do it.

From my point of view, assuming you’re given a time frame of sat 2pm to 2:15pm, that’s a long time for someone just to sit and wait. They’ve said bars and food outlets are unlikely to be open. A captive audience and nobody benefits...
Posted by: Croxton, September 9, 2020, 8:59am; Reply: 65
Schools, workplaces, sporting events exempt.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/what-are-the-new-social-distancing-rules-now-qgj59b2hd
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 9, 2020, 10:19am; Reply: 66
Rather than us getting worked up over national issues, maybe we should just take a step back and look locally at the situation.

In particular look at the number of infections and deaths in our local hospital and the ages of those fatalities.

[url] https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/how-many-coronavirus-deaths-cases-4496736[/url]
Posted by: Stadium, September 9, 2020, 10:28am; Reply: 67
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Think back to Cheltenham. Not sure the government will allow any chance of a repeat , even with reduced attendance at Donny

Goes ahead as planned today.

Tweet 1303606847472128000 will appear here...
Posted by: Ipswin, September 9, 2020, 10:28am; Reply: 68
Quoted from tashee69

There’s been quite a few people tested positive that showed no signs of having it.

That's the worrying bit for me. Incidentally I'm sure you have to display symptoms before you can get a test anyway.

All the drunk twits ignoring social distancing in the pubs, don't have symptoms and therefore don't give a excrement as 'it won't kill me I'm young and fit(tish)' are the problem

As far as the figures are concerned you are right. The increase in numbers getting tested inevitably leads to higher positives. Positive tests as a percentage of tests performed would be a better indicator of the possible re-emergence of the virus

Posted by: pen penfras, September 9, 2020, 10:49am; Reply: 69
Quoted from Ipswin

That's the worrying bit for me. Incidentally I'm sure you have to display symptoms before you can get a test anyway.

All the drunk twits ignoring social distancing in the pubs, don't have symptoms and therefore don't give a excrement as 'it won't kill me I'm young and fit(tish)' are the problem

As far as the figures are concerned you are right. The increase in numbers getting tested inevitably leads to higher positives. Positive tests as a percentage of tests performed would be a better indicator of the possible re-emergence of the virus

That's partly true. A month or so ago, I had something that wiped me out. No cough or fever, but I was sleeping all day every day. Don't know if it was or wasn't covid but I couldn't get a test because it wasn't the prime symptoms.

But I had to get a test last week when in the hospital as part of test and trace, even though I had absolutely nothing wrong with me.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 9, 2020, 2:02pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Stadium

Goes ahead as planned today.

Tweet 1303606847472128000 will appear here...

Not Thursday Friday or Saturday though . No surprise.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 9, 2020, 2:14pm; Reply: 71
Rather than us getting worked up over national issues, maybe we should just take a step back and look locally at the situation.

In particular look at the number of infections and deaths in our local hospital and the ages of those fatalities.

[url] https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/how-many-coronavirus-deaths-cases-4496736[/url]

I take it you are referring to the (relatively) low numbers in the local area

while you are looking at the GET can I refer you to the series of photographs which appear in the on-line version every Monday showing all the silly drunk twits in the Seaview Street bars totally ignoring any social distancing measures. (some superb ladies legs on view though!)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 9, 2020, 2:46pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Ipswin

I take it you are referring to the (relatively) low numbers in the local area

while you are looking at the GET can I refer you to the series of photographs which appear in the on-line version every Monday showing all the silly drunk twits in the Seaview Street bars totally ignoring any social distancing measures. (some superb ladies legs on view though!)

Saw those Swin, the legs anyway. Yes it’s true what you say but I’m just saying that the local situation is different to the National figures that seem to drive the government.  Incidentally, this is the first time the individual hospital stats have been published. I asked for these in April and the GT said they had asked already but the Trust refused to release them. Why would it take a FIA request to get some information like that I wonder, why did the Trust not want people to know that Scunthorpe had by far the most infections?

Posted by: Ipswin, September 9, 2020, 2:54pm; Reply: 73

Saw those Swin, the legs anyway. Yes it’s true what you say but I’m just saying that the local situation is different to the National figures that seem to drive the government.  Incidentally, this is the first time the individual hospital stats have been published. I asked for these in April and the GT said they had asked already but the Trust refused to release them. Why would it take a FIA request to get some information like that I wonder, why did the Trust not want people to know that Scunthorpe had by far the most infections?

I think, bearing in mind the total stupidity of those ignoring social distancing, that finding out Scunthorpe was worse than Grimsby would only have led to an even greater 'it's all alright we don't have to worry about it' feeling amongst the idiots. Shame the figures have come out now I reckon.

Posted by: quebec38, September 9, 2020, 2:55pm; Reply: 74
So what do these new rules from Monday mean for football crowds? Is that not considered a large public gathering?
Posted by: Sigone, September 9, 2020, 3:02pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from quebec38
So what do these new rules from Monday mean for football crowds? Is that not considered a large public gathering?

Highly unlikely considering it seems they don't think a racecourse with a large expanse and a lot of social distancing measures put in place are safe enough.  But you can still go to an enclosed pub/club, no social distancing and no face masks, so all is good  :B
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 9, 2020, 3:11pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Ipswin

I think, bearing in mind the total stupidity of those ignoring social distancing, that finding out Scunthorpe was worse than Grimsby would only have led to an even greater 'it's all alright we don't have to worry about it' feeling amongst the idiots. Shame the figures have come out now I reckon.

Why do you say that Swin? Just because some are idiots doesn't mean we all are and I would want to know what the situation is near me. Like you I'm not in GY now but it's the same principle round here. Stupid big media headline last week about huge rise in Breckland cases when in fact they were connected with one factory and restricted to one small area but they have to try and terrify the rest of us until eventually we see the truth in the small print.

Posted by: Ipswin, September 9, 2020, 3:32pm; Reply: 77

Why do you say that Swin? Just because some are idiots doesn't mean we all are and I would want to know what the situation is near me. Like you I'm not in GY now but it's the same principle round here. Stupid big media headline last week about huge rise in Breckland cases when in fact they were connected with one factory and restricted to one small area but they have to try and terrify the rest of us until eventually we see the truth in the small print.

I just think, in respect of areas with low numbers like Grimsby Norfolk and Suffolk, it only adds to the complacency factor amongst the stupid ones

A little bit of President Trump's 'fake news' about the numbers might not go amiss in an effort to wake some folk up!

Posted by: arryarryarry, September 9, 2020, 4:20pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from quebec38

According to BJ trials of spectators attending sports venues are going to be reviewed, so looks likely that fans will not be returning anytime soon.
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 9, 2020, 4:39pm; Reply: 79
"Plans to pilot larger audiences in stadiums and to allow conferences to go ahead from October will be put on hold."

So yeah commiserations to anyone who applied for a season ticket on the basis that we'd all be allowed back in by October with only the Salford game being played behind closed doors (lol this includes me lol)
Posted by: Hagrid, September 9, 2020, 4:59pm; Reply: 80
Was gonna get mine friday, not now. Cant throw money away
Posted by: pizzzza, September 9, 2020, 5:05pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from Hagrid
Was gonna get mine friday, not now. Cant throw money away

Same here, was planning on holding off until the last minute and glad I did. That being said I have my fingers crossed for those that have renewed already that the situation improves and crowds are back asap.

Posted by: It Bites, September 9, 2020, 5:08pm; Reply: 82
You won't see supporters back until 21/22 season .
Posted by: quebec38, September 9, 2020, 5:18pm; Reply: 83
Outrageous that they seem to have closed the ticket office phone lines down early today yet continued to process payments.

Tough times all around but it seems like they’ve done this with the knowledge of what was coming (and since been officially announced).
Posted by: It Bites, September 9, 2020, 5:33pm; Reply: 84
You can red cross all you like . I've been very consistent in my thoughts that Football crowds wont be back this season . I was told the prognosis back in early April. I hope I'm wrong but just can't see it . The kids are back at school , most of us are back at work . That's all the government want for the next 12 months imo
Posted by: Stadium, September 9, 2020, 6:35pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from It Bites
You can red cross all you like . I've been very consistent in my thoughts that Football crowds wont be back this season . I was told the prognosis back in early April. I hope I'm wrong but just can't see it . The kids are back at school , most of us are back at work . That's all the government want for the next 12 months imo

By whom may I ask?

Posted by: GYinScuntland, September 9, 2020, 8:33pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Stadium

By whom may I ask?

He cannot tell you or otherwise he will have to kill you.
Posted by: It Bites, September 9, 2020, 8:38pm; Reply: 87
By who? If you were watching and listening carefully back then you would know . The government hide nothing , they tell us everything . You just have to be listening when they do
Posted by: Stadium, September 9, 2020, 10:14pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from It Bites
By who? If you were watching and listening carefully back then you would know . The government hide nothing , they tell us everything . You just have to be listening when they do

Ah I see.
No evidence whatsoever then unless you can provide otherwise?

Posted by: Croxton, September 9, 2020, 10:33pm; Reply: 89
In case you have missed this:-

Cambridge fighting to be allowed to repeat the success of last night's EFLpilot game this Saturday V Carlisle.

Cambridge also fielding some promising youngsters on a pristine surface. Masks worn and standing allowed as at non league grounds.

https://twitter.com/CambridgeUtdFC
Posted by: aldi_01, September 9, 2020, 10:40pm; Reply: 90
As we all know, the government don’t know their bottom from their elbow.

They’re reintroducing another bodge job, so important it can wait almost a week to be implemented.

It’s all becoming farcical.

There’s absolutely zero evidence to suggest fans won’t be allowed in to sporting events, much like there’s little evidence to the contrary.

The whole thing is becoming even more of a farce than it already was. People are fed up listening to and being told to take advice from a clusterfuck personified and then there are those almost paranoid to an extent that they’ve shut down everything in their life.

Then there’s the rest, many know it isn’t perhaps as bad as being said, they’ve listened, they’ve made their own mind up but realise that if they want any sort of return to acruslly normality rather than this bullshit ‘new normal’ then perhaps we just have to crack on...

But as I say, when things are so desperately important we have to wait a week for it to come in to force it does make even then least cynical person question the validity.
Posted by: It Bites, September 10, 2020, 7:50am; Reply: 91
People you say ? . That's a sweeping statement isn't it . I know alot of "people" that a very happy to do as they are told to help deal with this pandemic . Have you lived through a pandemic before if the answer is No then just do as you're told . Stop wining and moaning about missing football or not been able to go to Majorca this year . Don't tell me people are suffering I know that , it's a pandemic FFS , it will cause pain and suffering and Death .
Posted by: Henryscat, September 10, 2020, 8:23am; Reply: 92
Don’t trust people. People like Coldplay
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 10, 2020, 8:43am; Reply: 93
Quoted from Croxton
In case you have missed this:-

Cambridge fighting to be allowed to repeat the success of last night's EFLpilot game this Saturday V Carlisle.

Cambridge also fielding some promising youngsters on a pristine surface. Masks worn and standing allowed as at non league grounds.

https://twitter.com/CambridgeUtdFC

I’ve got a feeling that the Cambridge experiment took place there was the proximity to the drugs companies in the city who are attempting to find a vaccine .
Posted by: It Bites, September 10, 2020, 8:53am; Reply: 94
Quoted from Henryscat

😂😂😂
Posted by: Madeleymariner, September 10, 2020, 9:02am; Reply: 95
All 3 of us had it in our household end March/April. First Son Of who was very ill for a week several days with a temp and hardly moved and could well have been admitted to hospital  as he could hardly breath but wouldn't go. Wife Of and I caught it off him, Wife Of was half as ill as Son Of (like him has asthma) and also really struggled with breathing but not much of a temperature, I had it light touch, a bad cough for a week or so, with a little fever just over one night. The main thing was we were all absolutely knackered for weeks afterwards with no energy or umph to do anything other than basic household tasks. It certainly affects people in different ways and easy to transmit. Myself I think unfortuneately we need to shut indoor spaces like pubs/restaurants and flights again to get on top of it once and for all, football crowds ? not sure, will people act responsibly ?  a lot havn't managed to in other social settings so I doubt they will at a football match where certain groups of peoples behaviour is generally worse.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 10, 2020, 9:12am; Reply: 96
The government is more frightened of us than it is of the virus. They and the “experts” are terrified of underestimating deaths and infections. They would rather be accused of exaggeration because this can be explained away. But if there are more fatalities than estimated then the blame game comes down on them.

In that sense all this Boristalk yesterday is not a deliberate denial of civil liberties but it is using fear and panic to make people accept measures they would have rebelled against. Using emotive terms like “it’s a pandemic so we must ..... “ it’s a world crisis so we must .....”. Pandemic is simply a term for a worldwide spread of a virus, it does not mean a worldwide spread of a virus that kills everyone. That is panic not pandemic.

We know the groups most likely to spread the virus so deal with them specifically. This ARP lark and the other rules for Monday  is like a teacher punishing the whole class for one person talking.
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 10, 2020, 9:32am; Reply: 97
Quoted from Henryscat

In that case, I can confirm that I must be some sort of extra terrestrial.......
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 10, 2020, 9:34am; Reply: 98
The government is more frightened of us than it is of the virus. They and the “experts” are terrified of underestimating deaths and infections. They would rather be accused of exaggeration because this can be explained away. But if there are more fatalities than estimated then the blame game comes down on them.

In that sense all this Boristalk yesterday is not a deliberate denial of civil liberties but it is using fear and panic to make people accept measures they would have rebelled against. Using emotive terms like “it’s a pandemic so we must ..... “ it’s a world crisis so we must .....”. Pandemic is simply a term for a worldwide spread of a virus, it does not mean a worldwide spread of a virus that kills everyone. That is panic not pandemic.

We know the groups most likely to spread the virus so deal with them specifically. This ARP lark and the other rules for Monday  is like a teacher punishing the whole class for one person talking.

I agree with that analysis.

Whilst listening yesterday that ghastly phrase "risk averse" was the overriding impression I got.

They are terrified of anything they can be accused of by their critics.

So called experts can blindly say do this or that without any regard for the wider implications- in the case of this particular forum the likely demise of our precious football clubs unless fans are let in soon.

It is a difficult situation to manage but I can't see people taking a blind bit of notice of any new restrictions.
Posted by: denni266, September 10, 2020, 9:51am; Reply: 99
Tinkering around the edges wont work. it may have a very small affect but that is it. Too many not wearing masks in shops and there will be few that stick to 6 in a group. Only another full lockdown will halt it , but it wont cure it . It is here untill a vaccine is found . I still dont think the season will run its full course without a stopage at some point
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 10, 2020, 9:59am; Reply: 100
Quoted from denni266
Tinkering around the edges wont work. it may have a very small affect but that is it. Too many not wearing masks in shops and there will be few that stick to 6 in a group. Only another full lockdown will halt it , but it wont cure it . It is here untill a vaccine is found . I still dont think the season will run its full course without a stopage at some point

I actually think the season can be completed in full, but the chances of us being allowed back in to watch football are decreasing all the time.  I think the best we can do for the club is pay for iFollow every week, and I intend to do that.  Unless Phillip Day tells us we have to attend or the club will fold, I'll stay away until things are completely back to normal. I have no interest in visiting a socially distanced Blundell Park, I'd much rather stay away.
Posted by: ska face, September 10, 2020, 10:07am; Reply: 101
This is what happens when you spend hundreds of millions of pounds prioritising insecure, low-paid jobs at Nando’s...
Posted by: It Bites, September 10, 2020, 10:28am; Reply: 102
Quoted from Stadium

Ah I see.
No evidence whatsoever then unless you can provide otherwise?

Go do your own research . It takes a bit of your time but it's worth it
Posted by: pen penfras, September 10, 2020, 11:06am; Reply: 103
Quoted from ska face
This is what happens when you spend hundreds of millions of pounds prioritising insecure, low-paid jobs at Nando’s...

What is?
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 10, 2020, 11:55am; Reply: 104
Bringing it back to fans returning....

Despite what it says in their FAQ section, I think the club need to really review what their approach is on this.

Regardless of how badly they need the money, it's fundamentally wrong to expect anyone to pay £340 for a season ticket if a return to action never happens.

If anyone wishes to give that money up, fair enough.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 10, 2020, 11:56am; Reply: 105
Quoted from ska face

What the hell are you on about now Wolfie? Power to the people is more succinct.
Posted by: quebec38, September 10, 2020, 12:00pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from diehardmariner
Bringing it back to fans returning....

Despite what it says in their FAQ section, I think the club need to really review what their approach is on this.

Regardless of how badly they need the money, it's fundamentally wrong to expect anyone to pay £340 for a season ticket if a return to action never happens.

If anyone wishes to give that money up, fair enough.

Well whether they wish to/are able to review it is one thing, but they are covered as they explicitly stated no refunds under any circumstances.

What doesn’t sit right is that they are continuing to process postal renewal payments and have taken the phones off the hooks so people don’t have that small glimmer of hope of getting in touch to cancel their renewal now the guidelines are seemingly changing.

I get that the club are struggling massively but that is a pretty underhand move IMO.

...cue the red cross brigade who never have had and never will have season tickets endorsing what is quite shitty and alienating behaviour ha haa.
Posted by: codcheeky, September 10, 2020, 12:02pm; Reply: 107

I agree with that analysis.

Whilst listening yesterday that ghastly phrase "risk averse" was the overriding impression I got.

They are terrified of anything they can be accused of by their critics.

So called experts can blindly say do this or that without any regard for the wider implications- in the case of this particular forum the likely demise of our precious football clubs unless fans are let in soon.

It is a difficult situation to manage but I can't see people taking a blind bit of notice of any new restrictions.

They will have to take notice, BJ marshals will enforce it
£100 BILLION bonus for his mates in charge of the failing testing  in his latest moonshine idea
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 10, 2020, 12:07pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from quebec38

Well whether they wish to/are able to review it is one thing, but they are covered as they explicitly stated no refunds under any circumstances.

What doesn’t sit right is that they are continuing to process postal renewal payments and have taken the phones off the hooks so people don’t have that small glimmer of hope of getting in touch to cancel their renewal now the guidelines are seemingly changing.

I get that the club are struggling massively but that is a pretty underhand move IMO.

...cue the red cross brigade who never have had and never will have season tickets endorsing what is quite shitty and alienating behaviour ha haa.

As much as the future of the club really concerns me, let's admit it, you'd have to be mental to actually buy a season ticket for this campaign, and the club know it.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 10, 2020, 12:27pm; Reply: 109
If the season is wiped and those with a ST can view all games, home and away, on IFollow, then i suppose it is worth the investment to some. Otherwise, for them to still be processing applications after yesterdays news, is pretty diabolical really.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 10, 2020, 12:28pm; Reply: 110
Well i must be mental coz ive just gone and bought mine and me brothers. Thought club need this more than i do
Posted by: ginnywings, September 10, 2020, 12:30pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from Hagrid
Well i must be mental coz ive just gone and bought mine and me brothers. Thought club need this more than i do

Had a change of heart from yesterday then?
Posted by: ska face, September 10, 2020, 12:52pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from pen penfras

What is?

A completely unnecessary spike in cases which will have big impacts elsewhere. Can’t understand the desire to force everyone together in restaurants when a massive number were able to do a delivery or takeout service that worked fine, certainly can’t understand why the tax payer was paying half of Jeremy Hunt’s £120 pub lunch with pals.

You can’t just lash everyone together at the same time without any consequences. Things like schools  or increased capacity for a working track & trace system could have been prioritised, but Harvester and Wetherspoons got the money. Odd that.

Anyway, the new lockdown and more delays to sporting events like this are the consequence.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 10, 2020, 12:54pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

Had a change of heart from yesterday then?

me brother has disabilities and the minute chance of town returning was enough to convince, we spoke with him this morning about it. His clubs etc and social bits he goes too throughout the week have all stopped so this will at least give him something to focus on !
he's, of course, not able to go on his own so me mams going to be his carer at the games along with myself when she cant make it
Posted by: Croxton, September 10, 2020, 1:06pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Hagrid

Did you go to the ticket office? If so, was anyone answering the phone? I just wanted to check my renewal form had arrived, posted over a week ago. I wasn't comfortable putting the three digit security code down on paper and chucking it in one of those quaint red boxes on the pavement!
I'll keep trying I guess.
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 10, 2020, 1:29pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from Hagrid

me brother has disabilities and the minute chance of town returning was enough to convince, we spoke with him this morning about it. His clubs etc and social bits he goes too throughout the week have all stopped so this will at least give him something to focus on !
he's, of course, not able to go on his own so me mams going to be his carer at the games along with myself when she cant make it

Fair play to you then, Hagrid.  It does show incredible loyalty, and I've always been loyal myself, but I've sort of accepted that I'll probably be paying near to £460 this season for iFollow games; after deductions, that can't be too far from the club effectively getting season ticket money from me.

Of course, if fans are allowed back in at some point, iFollow streams may well stop in the UK, so my plan is not 100% perfect.  Its a case of suck it and see.

After reading your post above, I really hope the fans are allowed back in, stuff like this really isn't fair for people like your brother who've had stuff taken from them when it's doubly important to them.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 10, 2020, 1:46pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from codcheeky

They will have to take notice, BJ marshals will enforce it
£100 BILLION bonus for his mates in charge of the failing testing  in his latest moonshine idea

Oh dont be gormless- how the hell are groups of more than 6 people meeting throughout the UK going to be "policed"?

Marshalls indeed. Are they going to wear a star shaped badge and a Stetson?  The whole thing is ridiculous.
Posted by: codcheeky, September 10, 2020, 2:08pm; Reply: 117

Oh dont be gormless- how the hell are groups of more than 6 people meeting throughout the UK going to be "policed"?

Marshalls indeed. Are they going to wear a star shaped badge and a Stetson?  The whole thing is ridiculous.

He will have special BJ Squads

Posted by: pen penfras, September 10, 2020, 2:49pm; Reply: 118
Did the government actually say that crowds were not allowed in from the start of October? The article I read, and I'm not reading much about this anymore, said that they would review the situation but no decision has been made.

I fully expect it to be stopped, and always assumed people buying tickets expected this. Like people booking holidays knew there's a risk of getting stuck or stuck at home quarantining, but it seems everybody just goes along with ignorant bliss thinking "it's ok today, so it will be tomorrow"...
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 10, 2020, 3:14pm; Reply: 119
Saw one of the club staff say something on Twitter that if the season doesn't start, season tickets will be refunded.

I'll try dig it out.
Posted by: Croxton, September 10, 2020, 3:17pm; Reply: 120
BJ said the pilot games and plans for fans returning would be reviewed and 'abridged'. Best we can hope for is moving forward later in Oct/Nov with even smaller crowds and keeping an eye on local rates. At least we are in a favourable place there as things stand.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 10, 2020, 3:22pm; Reply: 121
Tweet 1304016861626077190 will appear here...
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 10, 2020, 4:50pm; Reply: 122
They've just cancelled the 2000 spectator pilot planned for Cambridge's home game on Saturday, which strongly suggests the likelihood of season ticket holders getting in to Blundell Park by early October is significantly less now - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54102205
Posted by: blundellpork, September 10, 2020, 4:59pm; Reply: 123
Guess I’m mental too. If the season doesn’t start, or is behind closed doors, then I see my season ticket monies as a contribution to the clubs survival.
Posted by: rancido, September 10, 2020, 5:08pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from blundellpork
Guess I’m mental too. If the season doesn’t start, or is behind closed doors, then I see my season ticket monies as a contribution to the clubs survival.

That's the way I see it. I spend my ST money every season and this year is no different. If I don't actually see any of games then obviously I will be very disappointed. But if that money helps to ensure that I have a football club to support then so be it. These are unusual times but I want a a football club to support when it is over.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 10, 2020, 5:13pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from rancido

That's the way I see it. I spend my ST money every season and this year is no different. If I don't actually see any of games then obviously I will be very disappointed. But if that money helps to ensure that I have a football club to support then so be it. These are unusual times but I want a a football club to support when it is over.

Same - we've renewed our three as we want a club at the end of this. That said, it's time those in authority stuck with decisions they've made rather than this flip flopping from one week to the next which is helping nobody.
Posted by: rancido, September 10, 2020, 5:52pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Same - we've renewed our three as we want a club at the end of this. That said, it's time those in authority stuck with decisions they've made rather than this flip flopping from one week to the next which is helping nobody.

I agree but the reaction from our Government is not dissimilar to many other European and worldwide countries. Restrictions have been lifted or relaxed and then re-imposed when the infection rate has risen.
Posted by: lee65, September 10, 2020, 6:13pm; Reply: 127
Well as an exile who doesn’t get to that many home games (and a few away), the club will make more out of me under the current restrictions, as I’ll probably watch most games on iFollow  :)
Posted by: lee65, September 10, 2020, 6:15pm; Reply: 128
Do we get money for away games on iFollow, if watched via GTFC app?
Posted by: aldi_01, September 11, 2020, 6:13am; Reply: 129
My understanding is away games are full price for everyone, even STHs much like a normal season.

I believe that when ST are issued, you’ll be given a code which allows you to watch home games on iFollow for free - or so my mum was told in the club shop on Monday.
Posted by: lukeo, September 11, 2020, 6:59am; Reply: 130
I'd love to help the club out more but for me it's not realistic with my money situation. Although ii have bought both the home and away kit which usually I onlly ever buy one t shirt a season not full strips along with my club shop purchases last month.. If we all continue to do our bit, however big or small it all comes together to help
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 11, 2020, 7:44am; Reply: 131
The fact we’re allowing the downfall of football clubs, theatres and small businesses for a virus with a death rate of around 0.2% is a tragedy in itself. The sooner we can learn to live with it and the media stop their hypocritical circus, the better.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 11, 2020, 11:44am; Reply: 132
Quoted from pontoonlew
The fact we’re allowing the downfall of football clubs, theatres and small businesses for a virus with a death rate of around 0.2% is a tragedy in itself. The sooner we can learn to live with it and the media stop their hypocritical circus, the better.

The problem is that the death rate is so low because most people behaved throughout spring and summer, which meant that the virus didn't spread as badly as feared.

The indications are that in winter the virus will be even more dangerous.  Yes, the death rate is low which is a positive.  I fully accept the argument between hospital admissions/deaths against the numbers of people testing positive for the virus. I'm actually becoming more and more favourable to a herd immunity argument which is something I never thought I'd hear myself saying.

But if the much talked about second wave comes back and is twice, three, four....times as hard as the first, our health infrastructure will not cope.  We don't have enough Doctors, Nurses, Porters, HCA's to cope.  We don't have the equipment or estate to cope either.  

I totally get the argument about a collapsed economy having a greater potential to kill far more than the virus itself.  I don't even pretend to know what I would do if I was given the card of making these decisions.  But I'm not sure 'just getting on with it' is going to work.  I hate saying this, but life as we knew it may not return for a long, long time.  If at all.  Business, including our beloved football clubs, may fall victim to this.

Regards Season Tickets - I'm still right now torn between getting a season ticket or not.  I can top my glass up as much as I want, but I can't see how fans will be let in in October, if at all for the season itself.  Beyond that, is it reasonable to expect that the season will even get close to completion?     Say you've got a squad of 20 players.  Add to that the vast majority of those players will have partners with their own bubbles (be it work, social, other family etc.)  The bubble is getting bigger.  Then it's a fair assumption that a lot of the players will have young children.  Having one child increases the already growing bubble by 30 at least, but also has to factor in the existing bubbles those 30 other people are already in.

Within a small family, the reach of the bubble is ridiculous.  Footballers are then going onto a field for face-to-face physical contact with other people in identical situations from completely different parts of the country.  

How can you control that?

£340 for no live games and 20ish (at the absolute best) average streamed games isn't value at all.  
I've said before that I actually feel for whoever is trying to do the best for the club (all clubs in fact) throughout this.  I don't like the mixed messages that have come from the club but trying to put that aside, I just don't see the value at all.  

Even reading my message back I'm still undecided. Under no other circumstance would I even consider getting one.  But it's Town!

Right now I'm looking at it on the above of paying the £340 for 23 streamed games.  Works out about £15 a game....Part of me says you'd pay more than that for a Boxing PPV etc.  Does anyone know what cut Town get off the iFollow money or should I say what they have to pay to iFollow for the passes they'll be allocating?  If it's not in the clubs favour I'd rather pay on a game by game basis and give the other £110 directly to the club.
Posted by: ska face, September 11, 2020, 11:56am; Reply: 133
Quoted from pontoonlew

Just out of interest, how many people are you willing to have die so you can sit and watch GTFC for 90 mins once a week?
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 11, 2020, 12:30pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from ska face

Just out of interest, how many people are you willing to have die so you can sit and watch GTFC for 90 mins once a week?

And how far into the pits are you willing to see the world go for a virus that isn’t deadly for almost all of the people it comes into contact with?

Judging by your annoyance at how ‘low paid Nandos workers’ (your words, not mine) are back in work, I’d presume the answer to that is pretty far.

Striking a balance is absolutely key to getting back to normal. Those denying it’s a problem need to accept that it is and those like yourself, who seemingly want to stay indoors forever also need a reality check. You’re at risk every single day of your life, you’re far more likely to die in an RTA on the way to the match than you are to die of the virus at it, are you going to stop going when the virus has gone?
Posted by: Madeleymariner, September 11, 2020, 12:43pm; Reply: 135
My old mans in a strange situation, he has renewed his season ticket, but does not have access to a streaming device  (if he did he wouldn't have a clue how to set it up with his TV) so wouldn't be able to watch on ifollow, So for him its important that he can get to games eventually or its a load of money he can hardly afford to spend down the drain for him
Posted by: Ipswin, September 11, 2020, 12:49pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from pontoonlew

Striking a balance is absolutely key to getting back to normal.

This fixation with going to a football match above all other considerations is hardly 'striking a balance' in fact it's pretty low down on the list of things that might do anything to return things to normal whilst still attempting to eliminate the virus, it's not that important.

Posted by: pen penfras, September 11, 2020, 12:56pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from diehardmariner

The problem is that the death rate is so low because most people behaved throughout spring and summer, which meant that the virus didn't spread as badly as feared.

The indications are that in winter the virus will be even more dangerous.  Yes, the death rate is low which is a positive.  I fully accept the argument between hospital admissions/deaths against the numbers of people testing positive for the virus. I'm actually becoming more and more favourable to a herd immunity argument which is something I never thought I'd hear myself saying.

But if the much talked about second wave comes back and is twice, three, four....times as hard as the first, our health infrastructure will not cope.  We don't have enough Doctors, Nurses, Porters, HCA's to cope.  We don't have the equipment or estate to cope either.  

I totally get the argument about a collapsed economy having a greater potential to kill far more than the virus itself.  I don't even pretend to know what I would do if I was given the card of making these decisions.  But I'm not sure 'just getting on with it' is going to work.  I hate saying this, but life as we knew it may not return for a long, long time.  If at all.  Business, including our beloved football clubs, may fall victim to this.

Regards Season Tickets - I'm still right now torn between getting a season ticket or not.  I can top my glass up as much as I want, but I can't see how fans will be let in in October, if at all for the season itself.  Beyond that, is it reasonable to expect that the season will even get close to completion?     Say you've got a squad of 20 players.  Add to that the vast majority of those players will have partners with their own bubbles (be it work, social, other family etc.)  The bubble is getting bigger.  Then it's a fair assumption that a lot of the players will have young children.  Having one child increases the already growing bubble by 30 at least, but also has to factor in the existing bubbles those 30 other people are already in.

Within a small family, the reach of the bubble is ridiculous.  Footballers are then going onto a field for face-to-face physical contact with other people in identical situations from completely different parts of the country.  

How can you control that?

£340 for no live games and 20ish (at the absolute best) average streamed games isn't value at all.  
I've said before that I actually feel for whoever is trying to do the best for the club (all clubs in fact) throughout this.  I don't like the mixed messages that have come from the club but trying to put that aside, I just don't see the value at all.  

Even reading my message back I'm still undecided. Under no other circumstance would I even consider getting one.  But it's Town!

Right now I'm looking at it on the above of paying the £340 for 23 streamed games.  Works out about £15 a game....Part of me says you'd pay more than that for a Boxing PPV etc.  Does anyone know what cut Town get off the iFollow money or should I say what they have to pay to iFollow for the passes they'll be allocating?  If it's not in the clubs favour I'd rather pay on a game by game basis and give the other £110 directly to the club.

The club will get more than they would through one off passes, but I've not seen any information about if the club have to pay or how much. But ifollow match pass was supposedly £8 last season and they're reducing it to do a gate sharing this season.
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 11, 2020, 12:59pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from Ipswin

This fixation with going to a football match above all other considerations is hardly 'striking a balance' in fact it's pretty low down on the list of things that might do anything to return things to normal whilst still attempting to eliminate the virus, it's not that important.

Who said it’s ‘above all considerations’? The fact it can be socially distanced, coupled with the fact it’s outside which makes it difficult for the virus to spread makes it daft for people to shut down the idea that we can address the idea of allowing fans in. We’ve actually gone backwards on that view despite deaths remaining low.
Posted by: ska face, September 11, 2020, 1:09pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from pontoonlew

And how far into the pits are you willing to see the world go for a virus that isn’t deadly for almost all of the people it comes into contact with?

Judging by your annoyance at how ‘low paid Nandos workers’ (your words, not mine) are back in work, I’d presume the answer to that is pretty far.

Striking a balance is absolutely key to getting back to normal. Those denying it’s a problem need to accept that it is and those like yourself, who seemingly want to stay indoors forever also need a reality check. You’re at risk every single day of your life, you’re far more likely to die in an RTA on the way to the match than you are to die of the virus at it, are you going to stop going when the virus has gone?

So is that...what, one or more dead people so you can watch lower league football once a fortnight? Couldn’t quite make it out from your post. 500 more maybe? 1000 fathers and mothers?

It’s all well and good talking about low mortality rates, but the issue is the fact that those who require hospital treatment require fairly intensive treatment and resources - beds, ventilators, monitoring etc - which we don’t have the capacity for. This is why whole hospitals and entire wards had to be cleared of sick people, and other illnesses like cancer treatment were put on the back burner. “Protect The NHS” and all that - the measures in place are to stop the total collapse of the health service.

Thanks for (almost) quoting my words back to me but you seem to have missed the point. People were being forced into jobs, subsidised by the tax payer, where the spread of the disease was likely and there was a fairly well established alternative business model available. The impact is that larger gatherings that could be better managed, like football matches, now can’t go ahead. People are now going to be effectively starved back to work, with no legal requirement for workplaces to be Covid secure, when the furlough scheme is stopped. Other European countries have extended theirs well into next year.

Interesting stat on road traffic accidents, though perhaps not relevant unless you can spread car crashes by coughing on people...
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 11, 2020, 1:55pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from ska face

So is that...what, one or more dead people so you can watch lower league football once a fortnight? Couldn’t quite make it out from your post. 500 more maybe? 1000 fathers and mothers?

It’s all well and good talking about low mortality rates, but the issue is the fact that those who require hospital treatment require fairly intensive treatment and resources - beds, ventilators, monitoring etc - which we don’t have the capacity for. This is why whole hospitals and entire wards had to be cleared of sick people, and other illnesses like cancer treatment were put on the back burner. “Protect The NHS” and all that - the measures in place are to stop the total collapse of the health service.

Thanks for (almost) quoting my words back to me but you seem to have missed the point. People were being forced into jobs, subsidised by the tax payer, where the spread of the disease was likely and there was a fairly well established alternative business model available. The impact is that larger gatherings that could be better managed, like football matches, now can’t go ahead. People are now going to be effectively starved back to work, with no legal requirement for workplaces to be Covid secure, when the furlough scheme is stopped. Other European countries have extended theirs well into next year.

Interesting stat on road traffic accidents, though perhaps not relevant unless you can spread car crashes by coughing on people...

Where are you getting this fantasy of hospitals being overrun from? They weren’t overrun at its peak and they aren’t rising now, despite the fact cases are rising. Medical professionals urged people back into hospitals for routine illness because the media terrified people into thinking the virus was far more deadly than it is.

You say it’s ‘all well and good talking about low mortality rates’ but that’s an absolutely crucial point is it not? The damage this fear mongering has done is going to have far wider reaching impact than the virus ever will.
Posted by: pen penfras, September 11, 2020, 2:09pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from pontoonlew

Where are you getting this fantasy of hospitals being overrun from? They weren’t overrun at its peak and they aren’t rising now, despite the fact cases are rising. Medical professionals urged people back into hospitals for routine illness because the media terrified people into thinking the virus was far more deadly than it is.

You say it’s ‘all well and good talking about low mortality rates’ but that’s an absolutely crucial point is it not? The damage this fear mongering has done is going to have far wider reaching impact than the virus ever will.

Hospitals didn't get overrun because we went into lockdown. Heading into the flu season and opening up society completely is a disaster waiting to happen for the NHS. If things are pushed too far, we'll end up with another 3 months not able to leave the house.
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 11, 2020, 2:31pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from pen penfras

Hospitals didn't get overrun because we went into lockdown. Heading into the flu season and opening up society completely is a disaster waiting to happen for the NHS. If things are pushed too far, we'll end up with another 3 months not able to leave the house.

Cases are currently at about 1/3 of what they were at its peak yet hospitals admissions are way down and deaths are incredibly low. The fact is most of society will be absolutely fine with the virus and efforts need to be made to allow that part of society to open up whilst protecting the vulnerable. It’s really not a difficult concept.
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 11, 2020, 2:51pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from pontoonlew

I mean they were very close to being overrun in Spring and you've now got tons of doctors wanting to quit because of how overworked they've felt over the last 6 months (https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/05/more-than-1000-doctors-want-to-quit-nhs-over-handling-of-pandemic). Service levels and waiting times are now improving since hospitals did actually have to cancel loads of scheduled operations and appointments.

You're banging on about the media scaring people into avoiding hospitals in your tin-foil hat, but you're actually confusing reduced A&E admissions (which were as a result of people staying away from hospitals because they didn't want to contract covid) with cancellations of routine and scheduled appointments which were caused by hospitals having to massively shift focus onto treating covid patients in the spring to the detriment of other types of treatment. Here's a quote from the medical director of NHS England, who I imagine has far more expertise on this subject than whoever you're getting your news from:

“Pleasingly, cancer radiotherapy treatments are now fully back to their pre-Covid levels. The success of these service expansions depends on keeping Covid under control, so continued public action on hands-face-space, an effective test-and-trace service, and rapid action to control local outbreaks all continue to be vital.”

Yes, hospitalisations and death rates are now lower, and this is partially due to the increase in cases at present being driven by younger people who are less likely to die or need hospital treatment, but they're still contagious. The more young people that have the disease, the more old people will contract it from them, and the more badly affected hospitals will be as those older people end up needing treatment. There's a timelag to all of this, give it a few weeks and we likely will see higher rates of hospitalisations and deaths again (but possibly not quite at Spring levels because medical understanding of the virus has improved since then and doctors now understand how to treat it better).

None of this means it's not still a very dangerous and contagious disease that can really negatively impact even young & fit people. You keep saying how most of society will be absolutely fine with the virus - that isn't true. I'm a 32 year old who runs 10-15 miles a week. I don't want to get covid because everything I've heard from people who have had it makes it sound completely excrement and there's tons of evidence it has a nasty impact on your long term health and physical condition.
Posted by: ska face, September 11, 2020, 2:55pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from pontoonlew

There was a very interesting documentary on the BBC over 2 or 3 nights that showed you how overrun hospitals were, I imagine it’d still on iPlayer. That any my wife works in Covid wards. And the fact that elderly patients were forced into care homes just to clear beds, which lead to thousands of unnecessary deaths of their residents. Up to 20% of Covid cases were contracted whilst in hospital, so not sure who these medical professionals are that we’re “urging people back into hospital for routine illness” when a lot of these services were cancelled and the govt guidance was to avoid hospitals unless you had Covid. Still, maybe that’s all a fantasy as you have suggested...

Quoted Text

The crucial point is to view figures in context, which you appear to struggle with.
Posted by: LH, September 11, 2020, 3:12pm; Reply: 145
The rise in cases might be cases in their early stage. In two or three weeks we might see a steep rise is hospitalisations. This all just a month after being encouraged to cram into pubs and restaurants to eat cheap by the Chancellor and people still want more. 🤪
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 11, 2020, 3:15pm; Reply: 146
https://www.lep.co.uk/health/coronavirus/gp-surgeries-not-ready-cope-second-wave-coronavirus-and-winter-2966604

So here's the problem, in as simple terms as I can make it.

We're facing an increase in the number of people with the virus.  Very simply, the more people that have the virus, the more people will suffer severe symptoms.  Granted, there is a large proportion who it will probably pass through unnoticed, but still the pressure on our health system is going to be increased as the virus interacts with more people.

As per the link, the vast majority of GP Practices aren't able to cope currently, never mind when a second wave hits. It was bad enough trying to get an appointment anyway but you try now.  So what happens when people don't get an appointment at their GP Practice?  One of three things: 1) They'll get frustrated and annoyed, their pain or ailment will go away naturally and all is well. 2) They'll not know what to do, the route cause of their problem won't be identified and as a result it's far more difficult to treat later on 3) they'll rock up at A&E.

So more poorly people in the system, not able to get their treatment from a GP - those who will now go and sit in A&E are a further strain on an already stretched system.

Ok, let's look at the hospital then.  Hospitals were split at the height of the initial wave to make sure that Covid patients were kept away from non-Covid patients.  This is common practice and is not to dissimilar to what happens when there's any outbreak, such as D&V, in any health or social care setting.  You contain the virus to prevent it spreading.  Sectioning off areas of the hospitals came at the cost of not urgent elective and non-elective procedures.  For some people that would be a case that their hip operation hasn't bee done, on the face of it no biggy (actually it is, but this is a different argument for a different day but you'll have to work with me when I say that long term this is big problem and causes many, many complications down the line).  But for a lot of people that could be a cancer treatment, it could be the identification of a growth that could have been cut out before causing damage.  These services that are designed to nip issues in the bud as early as possible had the brakes put on them.

That creates a perfect storm:

1) Patients not getting minor treatments at their GP Practice - poorly and untreated people in the wider population plus increased pressure on A&E Depts.
2) Lack of staff, equipment and resource to deal with a significant outbreak
3) Long term effects of cancelling routine procedures to cope with the above issues.
4) A workforce that has been flogged to death and is now at breaking point, to the actual point where there are concerns that staff will commit suicide!

Anything that's done to deal with Covid is merely moving the hump in the carpet.  We're hoping to push issues away that simply won't go away.  What happens if we don't find a vaccine for 3 years?  5 years?  10 years?  How the hell are we going to cope when we can't cope now.  Are we going to cancel all cancer treatments for that long?  Imagine the sheer impact from a health structure perspective.  More importantly, add the human factor into that.

You might be fine with the virus.  The virus may have well passed through you with absolutely no consequence at all.  But in the perfect storm scenario above, I would be willing to bet a fair amount of money that either you or someone you love gets caught up in it.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 11, 2020, 3:29pm; Reply: 147
Being reported on BBC that the R number has gone back above 1, so I am expecting measures to be tightened if anything. The R number will have to be brought back below 1 sharpish, or I can see another lockdown looming. Football is irrelevant at the moment.
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 11, 2020, 4:06pm; Reply: 148
We'll have a vaccine by early next year. Everything I hear about the Oxford one suggests it'll do the job once they've finished the Phase 3 trials (and my source for this is my brother who is actually working on it and listed as one of the authors here - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31604-4/fulltext)
Posted by: golfer, September 11, 2020, 4:07pm; Reply: 149
Several school children and teachers in Grimsby schools appear to have symptoms - they have been told the nearest testing stations that they can attend are in Hull,Lincoln or Sheffield , i.e. none in Grimsby   What the Fxs going on - don't we matter - they most likely think we are a small fishing village in Yorkshire.
Posted by: jock dock tower, September 11, 2020, 4:18pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from Chrisblor
We'll have a vaccine by early next year. Everything I hear about the Oxford one suggests it'll do the job once they've finished the Phase 3 trials (and my source for this is my brother who is actually working on it and listed as one of the authors here - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31604-4/fulltext)

Isn't that the one they've suspended because one of the volunteers took ill on the third phase of the trial?

Posted by: Ipswin, September 11, 2020, 4:21pm; Reply: 151
Quoted from golfer
they most likely think we are a small fishing village in Yorkshire.

That's incorrect, we are not in Yorkshire

Posted by: Sigone, September 11, 2020, 4:22pm; Reply: 152
Quoted from jock dock tower

Isn't that the one they've suspended because one of the volunteers took ill on the third phase of the trial?

It is, but dont listen to the doom mongers of the media..Its a normal thing for vaccine testing and its the 2nd time this particular vaccine has been PAUSED to do a check.
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 11, 2020, 5:53pm; Reply: 153
Quoted from jock dock tower

If you've got a 50,000 person strong vaccine trial running over several months it's not that unlikely one of your volunteers will end up in hospital for some unexplained reason during it. For safety and public confidence it makes complete sense to investigate the circumstances fully before resuming the trial, but it's not exactly a sign the vaccine is unsafe when you've got 49.99k others who've so far taken it without issue.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 11, 2020, 9:21pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from Chrisblor

If you've got a 50,000 person strong vaccine trial running over several months it's not that unlikely one of your volunteers will end up in hospital for some unexplained reason during it. For safety and public confidence it makes complete sense to investigate the circumstances fully before resuming the trial, but it's not exactly a sign the vaccine is unsafe when you've got 49.99k others who've so far taken it without issue.

Problem is public perception though. The general public takes zero interest in clinical trials of new medicines or vaccines so are unaware of the "normal" pitfalls. There's bound to be a significant section of the population who won't take it - or any other vaccine - which has been "rushed out".
Posted by: Stadium, September 12, 2020, 11:54am; Reply: 155
Quoted from It Bites

Go do your own research . It takes a bit of your time but it's worth it

Well please point me in the right direction as it was never stated that crowds wouldn't return this forthcoming season.
Obviously if you've found those government comments please make them available.
It would have been useful for people deciding whether to renew.

"holds breath"
Posted by: Stadium, September 12, 2020, 11:58am; Reply: 156
Article around German football & return of supporters after October:

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/german-bundesliga/story/4157457/bundesliga-wants-football-fans-back-in-the-stands-for-2020-21-season-how-realistic-is-the-plan
Posted by: golfer, September 13, 2020, 9:17am; Reply: 157
I can't see crowds returning for a long time. Cases in Grimsby rising rapidly and these are only the ones who have been able to get a test - must be far more because if you have symptoms you still can't get tested so you are not counted in the figures. They say you can order test kits on line but none available.  How many really have the virus - nobody will ever know. I know of loads of people self isolating but not included in any figures. I am getting worried again.
Posted by: Cambridgefish, September 13, 2020, 10:37am; Reply: 158
Quoted from pen penfras

We've been waiting 10 years for a vaccine for hepatitis C. Why does everybody think we'll have a COVID virus soon?

Posted by: pen penfras, September 13, 2020, 10:43am; Reply: 159
Quoted from Cambridgefish

We've been waiting 10 years for a vaccine for hepatitis C. Why does everybody think we'll have a COVID virus soon?

Where did I say I expect a vaccine? Given the short time antibodies seem to be present, it does seem like a vaccine might be difficult, since you might have to have multiple doses every year.

It is a different situation though, hep C hasn't devastated the world in the same way as Covid. There has never been such an effort to produce a vaccine, and progress is likely to be better because it is needed more.
Posted by: Cambridgefish, September 13, 2020, 10:46am; Reply: 160
Quoted from Mikey_345

Late April. I’m 29 and it’s the illest I’ve ever felt, was very worried at the time.

Was at times really difficult to just sit and breath normally without pain from coughing. Temperature and the fever was also Ridiculous.

Must admit I felt fatigued for weeks and weeks afterwards.

Regrettably had 3 family friends pass away from this. No underline health conditions and generally fit and well, which is why I have no time for this bullshit of “it’s just flu” from some people.

Covid facts. The average age of people in UK dying from Covid = 77. (Average world life expectancy = 74)

Only 2% of UK deaths are in people under 50. Most deaths were of people who had underlying health conditions.

So of the 40,000 or so deaths so far you personally know 3 fit and healthy people who died? I'm sorry for your loss(es) but you must be the unluckiest man in the UK. Or not quite telling the whole truth.

Posted by: Cambridgefish, September 13, 2020, 10:49am; Reply: 161
Quoted from Chrisblor

Very left wing magazine which will try to pick stories that show the Government in a bad light. I apply the same rules when I am listening to Government statements as well - they have handled this appallingly and I don't believe half of what they say either.

Posted by: Cambridgefish, September 13, 2020, 10:53am; Reply: 162
Quoted from wuffing

Agreed. The flu is horrendous. In words it is like being attacked internally and it runs amok until your body eventually heats up to molten lava levels to kill the bloody thing!

That's how nature works. We have been fighting viruses for millions of years in this exact way. You do realise Covid doesn't want to kill us? It would then  also die. It wants us to feel ill, cough and sneeze and spread it around so it can survive.

Posted by: pen penfras, September 13, 2020, 10:56am; Reply: 163

Very left wing magazine which will try to pick stories that show the Government in a bad light. I apply the same rules when I am listening to Government statements as well - they have handled this appallingly and I don't believe half of what they say either.

Have they? They're not doing much differently to most countries in the world. We were probably a bit slow to react early on, when nobody knew how bad the virus was, but since then we've done the same things that virtually every other country has done.

I can't think of anything that they could have done that people would praise them for. Lock down more and pro business people moan, lock down less and socialists moan. Whatever they do, more people will moan than be happy.
Posted by: Cambridgefish, September 13, 2020, 11:03am; Reply: 164

Why would they not want you to know the number of cases is so low? Because they want everyone to panic? Sweden has kept open throughout and they seem to have stabilised. Admittedly Swedish people are generally more intelligent and socially aware than the Brits!
Posted by: lee65, September 13, 2020, 11:07am; Reply: 165

Why would they not want you to know the number of cases is so low? Because they want everyone to panic? Sweden has kept open throughout and they seem to have stabilised. Admittedly Swedish people are generally more intelligent and socially aware than the Brits!

I think it’s hard to draw on comparisons with Sweden, as I understand it, their population density is only 10 % of the UK and that must be a factor I guess?
Posted by: Cambridgefish, September 13, 2020, 11:19am; Reply: 166
[quote=123]

But if the much talked about second wave comes back and is twice, three, four....times as hard as the first, our health infrastructure will not cope.  We don't have enough Doctors, Nurses, Porters, HCA's to cope.  We don't have the equipment or estate to cope either.  {quote}

The hospitals were busy in April and May and have been virtually empty since. The recent rise in positive tests has not led to a corresponding rise in hospital admissions. I thought the reason we were locking down was to save the NHS. But we have managed to create 1 million extra unemployed people and close down lots of businesses.
Posted by: Bigdog, September 13, 2020, 11:20am; Reply: 167

Sweden as a country has the benefit of being extremely sparsely populated. England has one of the highest densities of population in the world, double that of even Germany and three or four times greater than France.

Sweden average IQ, 99.. UK average IQ 100.. let's continue the theme of bashing everything that is British shall we? Although I have to agree on the Swedes being more socially aware..
Posted by: Cambridgefish, September 13, 2020, 11:22am; Reply: 168
Quoted from ska face

You do realise that in an 'average' year 10,000 people a week die in the UK?. So in the six months since lockdown 260,000 people would have normally died anyway

Posted by: Cambridgefish, September 13, 2020, 11:28am; Reply: 169
Quoted from ska face

We also (with great fanfare and expense) built a 4000 bed hospital at the Excel centre   - it had zero patients and was then quietly closed.

Posted by: Cambridgefish, September 13, 2020, 11:30am; Reply: 170
Quoted from pen penfras

Sweden didn't go into lockdown and their hospitals weren't overrun.

Posted by: Ipswin, September 13, 2020, 11:34am; Reply: 171

We also (with great fanfare and expense) built a 4000 bed hospital at the Excel centre   - it had zero patients and was then quietly closed.

Don't worry It will be busy soon when all the twits who are ignoring advice infect those who are older and with lower immunity
Posted by: Ipswin, September 13, 2020, 11:35am; Reply: 172

Sweden didn't go into lockdown and their hospitals weren't overrun.

Probably because their health service wasn't as underfunded and unprepared as ours

Posted by: Cambridgefish, September 13, 2020, 11:35am; Reply: 173
Quoted from Chrisblor

Let's hope so. We've been trying to get a vaccine for hepatitis C for 10 years without success so who knows for sure.

Posted by: Cambridgefish, September 13, 2020, 11:39am; Reply: 174
Quoted from Chrisblor

If you've got 66,000,000 people in a country and 0.06% of them die of a new virus, it does however make sense to spend £350 billion pounds and create 1 million unemployed and fill the papers every day with horror stories?

Posted by: Cambridgefish, September 13, 2020, 11:50am; Reply: 175
Quoted from pen penfras

Where did I say I expect a vaccine? Given the short time antibodies seem to be present, it does seem like a vaccine might be difficult, since you might have to have multiple doses every year.

It is a different situation though, hep C hasn't devastated the world in the same way as Covid. There has never been such an effort to produce a vaccine, and progress is likely to be better because it is needed more.

Apologies for misquoting. I've read a few messages along the lines of 'We ought to stay locked up until there's a vaccine'. I'm just worried the vaccine won't be quite so simple.

Happy to accept you didn't say that and I apologise again.

Posted by: Cambridgefish, September 13, 2020, 12:00pm; Reply: 176
Quoted from pen penfras

Have they? They're not doing much differently to most countries in the world. We were probably a bit slow to react early on, when nobody knew how bad the virus was, but since then we've done the same things that virtually every other country has done.

I can't think of anything that they could have done that people would praise them for. Lock down more and pro business people moan, lock down less and socialists moan. Whatever they do, more people will moan than be happy.

I certainly don't blame the Government for reacting the way they did when we saw what was happening in Italy at the start of this. I can't say I'm very impressed with the Track and Trace system or the phone app they tried to introduce. My IT mate told me it would never work as Apple and Google have their software working the way they want. For some reason we believed Serco government contractors had better IT staff than Apple and Google. Bizarre.
Posted by: Stadium, September 13, 2020, 12:01pm; Reply: 177
Quoted from pen penfras

Start here:

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1583521197/s-new/
Posted by: Cambridgefish, September 13, 2020, 12:11pm; Reply: 178
Quoted from Ipswin

Probably because their health service wasn't as underfunded and unprepared as ours

Possibly so. I know  few people who work in the NHS and I always say that we spend £130 billion a year and employ 1.5 million people (the largest employers in Europe)

How much money and how many staff will make them happy?

Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 13, 2020, 2:32pm; Reply: 179
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Dido Harding has experience of running a mass communications and technology company. That is ideal experience......oh hang on a minute, that company was TalkTalk and they got a record fine for a massive data breach.

You could not make it up could you.  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 13, 2020, 3:08pm; Reply: 180
Quoted from lee65

I think it’s hard to draw on comparisons with Sweden, as I understand it, their population density is only 10 % of the UK and that must be a factor I guess?

Indeed. When they got the advice on social distancing by 2metres the Swedes were up in arms. 'There's no way I'm going to stand that close to someone.'  :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 13, 2020, 3:12pm; Reply: 181
Quoted from pontoonlew

The reason the death rate isn't higher is because we have had lockdown and taken precautions to prevent it spreading. Your argument is a bit like saying "we don't have many deaths from gunfire in this country, so let's liberalise our gun laws" [and end up like the US].
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 13, 2020, 3:15pm; Reply: 182

Let's hope so. We've been trying to get a vaccine for hepatitis C for 10 years without success so who knows for sure.

Coronvirus is the same family as the common cold and we have been years trying to develop a vaccine for that.
Posted by: Yoda, September 13, 2020, 4:46pm; Reply: 183
Been trying for a vaccine for SARS for five years and still not got one.
Posted by: pen penfras, September 13, 2020, 5:18pm; Reply: 184
Quoted from Yoda
Been trying for a vaccine for SARS for five years and still not got one.

Trying to find a cure for a disease that has been wiped out except for in laboratories, is hardly a priority.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 13, 2020, 7:01pm; Reply: 185
Quoted from pen penfras

Trying to find a cure for a disease that has been wiped out except for in laboratories, is hardly a priority.

Until someone allows (or ensures) it escapes of course

Posted by: Hagrid, September 13, 2020, 9:18pm; Reply: 186
Not sure why this has been moved. My post was about fans returning. Football related
Posted by: GYinScuntland, September 13, 2020, 11:00pm; Reply: 187
Quoted from Hagrid
Not sure why this has been moved. My post was about fans returning. Football related

Totally agree, football related and topical.
Needs putting back on the main forum in my opinion.
Posted by: Maringer, September 13, 2020, 11:01pm; Reply: 188
Back on The Fishy for the first time in, ooh, months. Too much other stuff to deal with during the lockdown and aftermath to spend time on here.

I received my ST pack through the post from the club the other week, opened it, glanced at it briefly and then shoved it in the drawer where it remains untouched. As much as I'd like an excuse to get out of the house to see some games every couple of weeks, I can't see it being likely for a while yet and can't justify the expense when chances of me watching games even streaming are slim. Will be the first time I've not had a season ticket for thirty-something years.

As to how I see the season progressing, it depends on how things go as regards hospital admissions in the coming 'second wave'. Despite the recent and escalating increases in positive tests, we're obviously a long way below the actual undiagnosed/uncounted numbers which were occurring when the lockdown was imposed in March so we're not in an immediately dire situation and I don't think we're unlikely to get back to the same place again for several reasons.

Most people are now taking the virus seriously (which is sensible, given that an uncertain proportion of those infected even mildly seem to suffer heart damage while ill). Added to this, the likelihood seems to be that those already infected have some immunity to the disease (as is the case with the original SARS virus) which is why there have been relatively few discoveries of reinfection. The problem is that we don't know yet if people who have already had the disease often catch it again but usually remain asymptomatic. If so, they may still be able to infect others so sensible to keep wearing the masks in shops and indoor public areas. The widespread use of masks seems likely to reduce severity of infection even if they don't stop you catching it. With all these factors in place and people acting responsibly, it will hopefully be possible to keep infections to a low enough level that society can continue to function, albeit in the current 'new normal' with limited social interaction and a massive increase in unemployment which will kick in when furlough ends. That would hopefully give time for the absolutely mind-boggling amount of scientific research into the virus to bear some fruit in both prevention and treatment.

The news is always breathlessly talking about the vaccines in development (over 130 of them I believe!), but the virus is so new and there is so much to learn about it, that we shouldn't necessarily expect any of them to provide the sterilising immunity which we are used to from all the vaccines kids get today. One of the issues is that those involved in the vaccine trials will always be younger and healthier than those at most risk from the virus but there is obviously no way to directly test efficacy in higher risk groups. From what I've read, which is a lot (and probably too much), it is quite likely that the earliest vaccines will just reduce the severity of symptoms in the event of infection, but will only give weaker protection to the elderly who are most at risk. Still enough to make them worthwhile, but we're not likely to see a silver bullet which will suddenly make life go back to normal within a few months. Knowing just how infectious people with asymptomatic infections are likely to be would be helpful, but there isn't any evidence about this as yet and it's not something which can easily be discovered.

I personally think we're likely to see advances in treaments before we see effective vaccines. Dexamethasone can help a proportion of those most seriously ill but nowhere near all of them. Wouldn't surprise me if one or two other currently available drugs could also help further in severe cases which would be a very good discovery. A few companies have trials of monoclonal antibodies taking place as well - they've screened the thousands of antibodies naturally generated against Covid-19 by the immune system, selected a couple of of the strongest and most stable which attack different areas of the virus (to reduce the chance of mutations nullifying their effect) and then mass produce them to be given together as a treatment. If these were to work, it would be something you could give to somebody who was diagnosed as infected to hopefully clear the virus quickly.

My hope is that the club will ultimately be able to allow the limited numbers and spacing as originally planned before the new 'rule of 6' stuff. If some of the vaccines/treatments do have some helpful effect then we could hopefully reduce restrictions later in the season. Wouldn't surprise me if those who are elderly or with other risk factors are advised to give it a miss for now even with additional treatments, however. I'm sort of hoping that I'll be able to see one or two games during the latter stages of the season.

Incidentally, I hope everyone is taking a Vitamin D supplement, especially if you don't get out into the sunshine too much. Take via fish oils if you can as the body can use them better than Vit D from plants. The correlation between low Vitamin D levels and fatality rates is surely too high for it to be a coincidence so worth a punt to keep your levels up, especially when you consider so many people are Vit D deficient in the first place. Extra Vitamin D will be good for your overall health, even if it was to turn out that there wasn't actually any reduction in risk of severe Covid-19 infection.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 14, 2020, 12:25am; Reply: 189
Quoted from Maringer

Incidentally, I hope everyone is taking a Vitamin D supplement, especially if you don't get out into the sunshine too much. Take via fish oils if you can as the body can use them better than Vit D from plants. The correlation between low Vitamin D levels and fatality rates is surely too high for it to be a coincidence so worth a punt to keep your levels up, especially when you consider so many people are Vit D deficient in the first place. Extra Vitamin D will be good for your overall health, even if it was to turn out that there wasn't actually any reduction in risk of severe Covid-19 infection.

I have taken Vit D for years so thanks for saying that, there'll be none frigging left when I go for some.
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 14, 2020, 10:24am; Reply: 190
Quoted from Hagrid

Cos the moderation on this forum is completely facile. As soon as a thread veers onto a topic which combines football and politics (such as this), they have a massive meltdown about it and punt the discussion over to the lesser read subforum. It's pathetic, especially considering we're still in the dark over the arrangements for fans returning to blundell park. Just because the decision on fans returning is a political (or "non-football") one, it's still a massively important discussion worthy of the main football forum.
Posted by: barralad, September 14, 2020, 10:37pm; Reply: 191
Quoted from Chrisblor

Cos the moderation on this forum is completely facile. As soon as a thread veers onto a topic which combines football and politics (such as this), they have a massive meltdown about it and punt the discussion over to the lesser read subforum. It's pathetic, especially considering we're still in the dark over the arrangements for fans returning to blundell park. Just because the decision on fans returning is a political (or "non-football") one, it's still a massively important discussion worthy of the main football forum.

I'm loathe to criticise the administration who do a grand job of managing this board in sometimes trying circumstances but find myself in total agreement with you here. It's hard to imagine a more important/relevant football related subject at the moment.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 16, 2020, 6:23am; Reply: 192
I think we understand the political implications surrounding the decision to allow football fans to return to stadiums but in truth it is a a football decisions.

Whilst political opinion can sway the thinking of some, football, especially at the level in which GTFC fond themselves is very much reliant on fans, therefore I believe it is a pertinent discussion about football.

One could argue that discussions surrounding the ineptitude of our board are somewhat political...will they be moved on the future?

I understand that some folk on here have clearly shown their true colours so to speak and are happy to follow or support political ideologies that should be reserved only for the bin but nevertheless, the political discussion in this thread links wholeheartedly to the main topic, football.

Moving this discussion only seeks to minimise the potential conflicting political opinions and bury it within, as said, a lesser visited part of the fishy...
Posted by: Sandford1981, September 16, 2020, 7:10am; Reply: 193
I don’t disagree that this started as football related and even partially agree with those points that reason it should remain so. However, the ‘feel’ of the thread to me  suggests it’s morphed into something different entirely. This is a common occurrence with threads on forums and you could argue it’s the ‘nature of the beast’.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, it’s not like it’s been deleted or the right to debate removed (it’s simply been moved) if people are that passionate about the subject, the fact it’s moved a couple of clicks away (A modern day problem if ever there is one) won’t matter one iota.

Personally speaking if the relocation acts as a filter I’m not too unhappy about it considering some of the posts on there.

Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 4:00pm