Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fans Returning/Cases Rising
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 16 Guests

Fans Returning/Cases Rising

This thread currently has 23,124 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
September 11, 2020, 4:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from Chrisblor
We'll have a vaccine by early next year. Everything I hear about the Oxford one suggests it'll do the job once they've finished the Phase 3 trials (and my source for this is my brother who is actually working on it and listed as one of the authors here - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31604-4/fulltext)

Isn't that the one they've suspended because one of the volunteers took ill on the third phase of the trial?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 193
Ipswin
September 11, 2020, 4:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from golfer
they most likely think we are a small fishing village in Yorkshire.

That's incorrect, we are not in Yorkshire

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 193
Sigone
September 11, 2020, 4:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from jock dock tower

Isn't that the one they've suspended because one of the volunteers took ill on the third phase of the trial?

It is, but dont listen to the doom mongers of the media..Its a normal thing for vaccine testing and its the 2nd time this particular vaccine has been PAUSED to do a check.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 193
Chrisblor
September 11, 2020, 5:53pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,772
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from jock dock tower

If you've got a 50,000 person strong vaccine trial running over several months it's not that unlikely one of your volunteers will end up in hospital for some unexplained reason during it. For safety and public confidence it makes complete sense to investigate the circumstances fully before resuming the trial, but it's not exactly a sign the vaccine is unsafe when you've got 49.99k others who've so far taken it without issue.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 193
GrimRob
September 11, 2020, 9:21pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,400
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Chrisblor

If you've got a 50,000 person strong vaccine trial running over several months it's not that unlikely one of your volunteers will end up in hospital for some unexplained reason during it. For safety and public confidence it makes complete sense to investigate the circumstances fully before resuming the trial, but it's not exactly a sign the vaccine is unsafe when you've got 49.99k others who've so far taken it without issue.

Problem is public perception though. The general public takes zero interest in clinical trials of new medicines or vaccines so are unaware of the "normal" pitfalls. There's bound to be a significant section of the population who won't take it - or any other vaccine - which has been "rushed out".

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 154 - 193
Stadium
September 12, 2020, 11:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from It Bites

Go do your own research . It takes a bit of your time but it's worth it

Well please point me in the right direction as it was never stated that crowds wouldn't return this forthcoming season.
Obviously if you've found those government comments please make them available.
It would have been useful for people deciding whether to renew.

"holds breath"

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 193
Stadium
September 12, 2020, 11:58am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Article around German football & return of supporters after October:

https://www.espn.co.uk/footbal.....ealistic-is-the-plan

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 193
golfer
September 13, 2020, 9:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,419
Gold Stars: 115
I can't see crowds returning for a long time. Cases in Grimsby rising rapidly and these are only the ones who have been able to get a test - must be far more because if you have symptoms you still can't get tested so you are not counted in the figures. They say you can order test kits on line but none available.  How many really have the virus - nobody will ever know. I know of loads of people self isolating but not included in any figures. I am getting worried again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 193
Cambridgefish
September 13, 2020, 10:37am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: -12
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from pen penfras

I completely agree with that part. But the virus does spread exponentially, if it didn't then there would never have been a problem. It has 100% been worse than flu season, deaths this year are double a bad flu season and that's with locking down the country for 5 months. A vaccine changes everything, as it has with the flu, but we don't have one.

We've been waiting 10 years for a vaccine for hepatitis C. Why does everybody think we'll have a COVID virus soon?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 193
pen penfras
September 13, 2020, 10:43am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -129
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Cambridgefish

We've been waiting 10 years for a vaccine for hepatitis C. Why does everybody think we'll have a COVID virus soon?

Where did I say I expect a vaccine? Given the short time antibodies seem to be present, it does seem like a vaccine might be difficult, since you might have to have multiple doses every year.

It is a different situation though, hep C hasn't devastated the world in the same way as Covid. There has never been such an effort to produce a vaccine, and progress is likely to be better because it is needed more.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 193
20 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fans Returning/Cases Rising

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.