Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fans Returning/Cases Rising
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 34 Guests

Fans Returning/Cases Rising

This thread currently has 23,163 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
September 11, 2020, 6:59am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
I'd love to help the club out more but for me it's not realistic with my money situation. Although ii have bought both the home and away kit which usually I onlly ever buy one t shirt a season not full strips along with my club shop purchases last month.. If we all continue to do our bit, however big or small it all comes together to help
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 193
pontoonlew
September 11, 2020, 7:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
The fact we’re allowing the downfall of football clubs, theatres and small businesses for a virus with a death rate of around 0.2% is a tragedy in itself. The sooner we can learn to live with it and the media stop their hypocritical circus, the better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 193
diehardmariner
September 11, 2020, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,600
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from pontoonlew
The fact we’re allowing the downfall of football clubs, theatres and small businesses for a virus with a death rate of around 0.2% is a tragedy in itself. The sooner we can learn to live with it and the media stop their hypocritical circus, the better.

The problem is that the death rate is so low because most people behaved throughout spring and summer, which meant that the virus didn't spread as badly as feared.

The indications are that in winter the virus will be even more dangerous.  Yes, the death rate is low which is a positive.  I fully accept the argument between hospital admissions/deaths against the numbers of people testing positive for the virus. I'm actually becoming more and more favourable to a herd immunity argument which is something I never thought I'd hear myself saying.

But if the much talked about second wave comes back and is twice, three, four....times as hard as the first, our health infrastructure will not cope.  We don't have enough Doctors, Nurses, Porters, HCA's to cope.  We don't have the equipment or estate to cope either.  

I totally get the argument about a collapsed economy having a greater potential to kill far more than the virus itself.  I don't even pretend to know what I would do if I was given the card of making these decisions.  But I'm not sure 'just getting on with it' is going to work.  I hate saying this, but life as we knew it may not return for a long, long time.  If at all.  Business, including our beloved football clubs, may fall victim to this.

Regards Season Tickets - I'm still right now torn between getting a season ticket or not.  I can top my glass up as much as I want, but I can't see how fans will be let in in October, if at all for the season itself.  Beyond that, is it reasonable to expect that the season will even get close to completion?     Say you've got a squad of 20 players.  Add to that the vast majority of those players will have partners with their own bubbles (be it work, social, other family etc.)  The bubble is getting bigger.  Then it's a fair assumption that a lot of the players will have young children.  Having one child increases the already growing bubble by 30 at least, but also has to factor in the existing bubbles those 30 other people are already in.

Within a small family, the reach of the bubble is ridiculous.  Footballers are then going onto a field for face-to-face physical contact with other people in identical situations from completely different parts of the country.  

How can you control that?

£340 for no live games and 20ish (at the absolute best) average streamed games isn't value at all.  
I've said before that I actually feel for whoever is trying to do the best for the club (all clubs in fact) throughout this.  I don't like the mixed messages that have come from the club but trying to put that aside, I just don't see the value at all.  

Even reading my message back I'm still undecided. Under no other circumstance would I even consider getting one.  But it's Town!

Right now I'm looking at it on the above of paying the £340 for 23 streamed games.  Works out about £15 a game....Part of me says you'd pay more than that for a Boxing PPV etc.  Does anyone know what cut Town get off the iFollow money or should I say what they have to pay to iFollow for the passes they'll be allocating?  If it's not in the clubs favour I'd rather pay on a game by game basis and give the other £110 directly to the club.
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 193
ska face
September 11, 2020, 11:56am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,657
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from pontoonlew

Just out of interest, how many people are you willing to have die so you can sit and watch GTFC for 90 mins once a week?
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 193
pontoonlew
September 11, 2020, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Just out of interest, how many people are you willing to have die so you can sit and watch GTFC for 90 mins once a week?

And how far into the pits are you willing to see the world go for a virus that isn’t deadly for almost all of the people it comes into contact with?

Judging by your annoyance at how ‘low paid Nandos workers’ (your words, not mine) are back in work, I’d presume the answer to that is pretty far.

Striking a balance is absolutely key to getting back to normal. Those denying it’s a problem need to accept that it is and those like yourself, who seemingly want to stay indoors forever also need a reality check. You’re at risk every single day of your life, you’re far more likely to die in an RTA on the way to the match than you are to die of the virus at it, are you going to stop going when the virus has gone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 193
Madeleymariner
September 11, 2020, 12:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
My old mans in a strange situation, he has renewed his season ticket, but does not have access to a streaming device  (if he did he wouldn't have a clue how to set it up with his TV) so wouldn't be able to watch on ifollow, So for him its important that he can get to games eventually or its a load of money he can hardly afford to spend down the drain for him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 193
Ipswin
September 11, 2020, 12:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from pontoonlew

Striking a balance is absolutely key to getting back to normal.

This fixation with going to a football match above all other considerations is hardly 'striking a balance' in fact it's pretty low down on the list of things that might do anything to return things to normal whilst still attempting to eliminate the virus, it's not that important.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 193
pen penfras
September 11, 2020, 12:56pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from diehardmariner

The problem is that the death rate is so low because most people behaved throughout spring and summer, which meant that the virus didn't spread as badly as feared.

The indications are that in winter the virus will be even more dangerous.  Yes, the death rate is low which is a positive.  I fully accept the argument between hospital admissions/deaths against the numbers of people testing positive for the virus. I'm actually becoming more and more favourable to a herd immunity argument which is something I never thought I'd hear myself saying.

But if the much talked about second wave comes back and is twice, three, four....times as hard as the first, our health infrastructure will not cope.  We don't have enough Doctors, Nurses, Porters, HCA's to cope.  We don't have the equipment or estate to cope either.  

I totally get the argument about a collapsed economy having a greater potential to kill far more than the virus itself.  I don't even pretend to know what I would do if I was given the card of making these decisions.  But I'm not sure 'just getting on with it' is going to work.  I hate saying this, but life as we knew it may not return for a long, long time.  If at all.  Business, including our beloved football clubs, may fall victim to this.

Regards Season Tickets - I'm still right now torn between getting a season ticket or not.  I can top my glass up as much as I want, but I can't see how fans will be let in in October, if at all for the season itself.  Beyond that, is it reasonable to expect that the season will even get close to completion?     Say you've got a squad of 20 players.  Add to that the vast majority of those players will have partners with their own bubbles (be it work, social, other family etc.)  The bubble is getting bigger.  Then it's a fair assumption that a lot of the players will have young children.  Having one child increases the already growing bubble by 30 at least, but also has to factor in the existing bubbles those 30 other people are already in.

Within a small family, the reach of the bubble is ridiculous.  Footballers are then going onto a field for face-to-face physical contact with other people in identical situations from completely different parts of the country.  

How can you control that?

£340 for no live games and 20ish (at the absolute best) average streamed games isn't value at all.  
I've said before that I actually feel for whoever is trying to do the best for the club (all clubs in fact) throughout this.  I don't like the mixed messages that have come from the club but trying to put that aside, I just don't see the value at all.  

Even reading my message back I'm still undecided. Under no other circumstance would I even consider getting one.  But it's Town!

Right now I'm looking at it on the above of paying the £340 for 23 streamed games.  Works out about £15 a game....Part of me says you'd pay more than that for a Boxing PPV etc.  Does anyone know what cut Town get off the iFollow money or should I say what they have to pay to iFollow for the passes they'll be allocating?  If it's not in the clubs favour I'd rather pay on a game by game basis and give the other £110 directly to the club.

The club will get more than they would through one off passes, but I've not seen any information about if the club have to pay or how much. But ifollow match pass was supposedly £8 last season and they're reducing it to do a gate sharing this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 193
pontoonlew
September 11, 2020, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

This fixation with going to a football match above all other considerations is hardly 'striking a balance' in fact it's pretty low down on the list of things that might do anything to return things to normal whilst still attempting to eliminate the virus, it's not that important.

Who said it’s ‘above all considerations’? The fact it can be socially distanced, coupled with the fact it’s outside which makes it difficult for the virus to spread makes it daft for people to shut down the idea that we can address the idea of allowing fans in. We’ve actually gone backwards on that view despite deaths remaining low.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 193
ska face
September 11, 2020, 1:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,657
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from pontoonlew

And how far into the pits are you willing to see the world go for a virus that isn’t deadly for almost all of the people it comes into contact with?

Judging by your annoyance at how ‘low paid Nandos workers’ (your words, not mine) are back in work, I’d presume the answer to that is pretty far.

Striking a balance is absolutely key to getting back to normal. Those denying it’s a problem need to accept that it is and those like yourself, who seemingly want to stay indoors forever also need a reality check. You’re at risk every single day of your life, you’re far more likely to die in an RTA on the way to the match than you are to die of the virus at it, are you going to stop going when the virus has gone?

So is that...what, one or more dead people so you can watch lower league football once a fortnight? Couldn’t quite make it out from your post. 500 more maybe? 1000 fathers and mothers?

It’s all well and good talking about low mortality rates, but the issue is the fact that those who require hospital treatment require fairly intensive treatment and resources - beds, ventilators, monitoring etc - which we don’t have the capacity for. This is why whole hospitals and entire wards had to be cleared of sick people, and other illnesses like cancer treatment were put on the back burner. “Protect The NHS” and all that - the measures in place are to stop the total collapse of the health service.

Thanks for (almost) quoting my words back to me but you seem to have missed the point. People were being forced into jobs, subsidised by the tax payer, where the spread of the disease was likely and there was a fairly well established alternative business model available. The impact is that larger gatherings that could be better managed, like football matches, now can’t go ahead. People are now going to be effectively starved back to work, with no legal requirement for workplaces to be Covid secure, when the furlough scheme is stopped. Other European countries have extended theirs well into next year.

Interesting stat on road traffic accidents, though perhaps not relevant unless you can spread car crashes by coughing on people...
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 193
20 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fans Returning/Cases Rising

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.