Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fans Returning/Cases Rising
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 25 Guests

Fans Returning/Cases Rising

This thread currently has 23,090 views. Print
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
horsforthmariner
September 8, 2020, 3:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
It ripped through my office in Early March.I somehow managed to avoid it but my mate who is 10 years younger than me said he felt worse than he had ever felt for 48 hours but was fine after that. Two women in their forties are working part time as part of a phased return to work. Neither wen't to hospital, but both say that they are still really struggling. One of them I  had to stop for about 5 minutes halfway when walking to her car yesterday. The car park is like 100 meters away. I don't want to catch this fecking thing and be stuffed for six months like them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 193
wuffing
September 8, 2020, 3:10pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +833
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Heisenberg
I have not had it, to my knowledge, but 3 years ago I had the standard flu for the first time in 17 years.  I tell you now, I had forgotten how awful it can be.  Some brush it off as 'only the flu', but many people haven't had that either.  I've probably had the proper flu 3 or 4 times in my life, and it wiped the floor with me.  I don't have much weight to lose, but after 5 days I'd lost 8 pounds!!

I have no idea how Covid would affect me (probably not much), but to dismiss the flu as just a sniffle is wrong.  THAT is called the common cold.  The flu is a whole other matter, there's no wonder it kills old people.  I was only 41 and wanted to die right there and then, I couldn't get off the sofa for nearly a week!

Agreed. The flu is horrendous. In words it is like being attacked internally and it runs amok until your body eventually heats up to molten laver levels to kill the bloody thing!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 193
LH
September 8, 2020, 3:16pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,458
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Heisenberg
I have not had it, to my knowledge, but 3 years ago I had the standard flu for the first time in 17 years.  I tell you now, I had forgotten how awful it can be.  Some brush it off as 'only the flu', but many people haven't had that either.  I've probably had the proper flu 3 or 4 times in my life, and it wiped the floor with me.  I don't have much weight to lose, but after 5 days I'd lost 8 pounds!!

I have no idea how Covid would affect me (probably not much), but to dismiss the flu as just a sniffle is wrong.  THAT is called the common cold.  The flu is a whole other matter, there's no wonder it kills old people.  I was only 41 and wanted to die right there and then, I couldn't get off the sofa for nearly a week!

I had something similar in early-mid December. Absolutely KOd me for 12 days. I’m a runner and do around 15km a week usually but it took me a month or so to get back out. The closest thing I’ve had to that was around the time Swine Flu was going about and I was signed off work for a week. There’s evidence that Covid was in France in December/January so it’s not unbelieveable to think I might have had it then.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 193
horsforthmariner
September 8, 2020, 3:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Bolton's pubs are being shut. Until both the Govt stops F***ing the track and trace up and people keep on being wazzocks and not wearing masks I don't think we'll be in a football ground until their is a vaccine. I hope I'm wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 193
RichMariner
September 8, 2020, 4:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
I haven't had it, but I've listened to people who have, and read what they've written about it. It varies from 'didn't bother me' to absolute tragedy.

We're all keen to live a 'normal' life, and do what we wanna do, and go out drinking, and go to the footy, etc. But in a few years time, or when my son grows up and can't quite get his head around the magnitude of this pandemic that occurred when he was just 2, I want to be able to hold my head high and say I did everything the government told me to do in order to limit the spread of the virus.

Our generation will be judged on what we do today. This isn't a world war but it's something that will certainly define us in years and decades to come, so we need to unite and do the right thing.

It's been a long six months but we need to decide whether we want to continue making the same sort of sacrifices to sustain what we have today, or not bother with the sacrifices and dip back into more months of lockdown and hardship, where our already fragile economy takes another almighty battering and more jobs (and lives) are lost.

To those who aren't wearing masks or are flouting the rules and regulations in place: stop being selfish. Ride this out for a little while longer and we stand a better chance of coming out of this sooner.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 34 - 193
Eastendmariner
September 8, 2020, 4:32pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Out of interest, has anyone on here had Covid or know anyone that has? If so what was their experience? I hear loads of it’s just like the flu, but only from people who have not been close to it.

Anyone parroting the 'it's just like the flu' line hasn't got a clue what they're on about. Here's an article from today on the long term effects experienced by a number of individuals, including young people, infected by the virus - https://www.newstatesman.com/p.....vid-19-last-patients

This is not just like the flu yes the stats do raise key points about Total shut Down is it justified. Only history will truly have the final say I reside in one of the worst /highest affected ares in the uk and believe me it kills We are all looking at ways to '' Get back to Normal''  I think it's probably at least 6 months

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 193
MuddyWaters
September 8, 2020, 4:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Bizarrely, I had all the symptoms last November having been sat near a coughing Chinese family in a London theatre at the end of October. Hacking cough, raging temperature, breathlessness, loss of taste and smell which lasted at least a month. Would love an antibody test but can't get one - my antibodies have probably gone by now anyway!

If it was Covid, I felt awful and totally different to the flu which I'd had 18 months previous.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 193
wuffing
September 8, 2020, 5:44pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +833
Gold Stars: 38
One thing that is standing out in all of this...and that is: if you get the flu, you know it is the flu virus because of it's severity. If you get a cold, then you know it's a cold. You are a little rough for couple of days, but it doesn't stop you doing things. Various other ailments come and go, but this covid virus, how come if it is a rip-raging pandemic, some that have it don't know that they have got/had it, whilst others may suffer and die? Is it a clever little fellow/bug that can decide which body to run ragged? Why is it so selective? Does it think 'I don't like this geezer, he can have the full volume,' and 'oh I like this fellow's persona, I'll go easy on this one.' Surely if it is as vicious as it is made out to be, then why does it differentiate, because a virus such as flu treats every body it infects in the same way, as with a cold. And as for vulnerability, well the flu or a cold will still affect you in the same way!

Any virologists out there that can shed light?

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 193
jamesgtfc
September 8, 2020, 5:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Bizarrely, I had all the symptoms last November having been sat near a coughing Chinese family in a London theatre at the end of October. Hacking cough, raging temperature, breathlessness, loss of taste and smell which lasted at least a month. Would love an antibody test but can't get one - my antibodies have probably gone by now anyway!

If it was Covid, I felt awful and totally different to the flu which I'd had 18 months previous.

Me and the wife came down with a really bad cold in January, a few days after I had been to Scotland on a Saturday. I stopped at some services and let some school kids in front of me. They looked like they had been on a skiing trip or something.

I was breathless for a few days and absolutely exhausted. I lost my sense of taste and smell for about 3 weeks and had a hacking cough for a couple of days. It wasn't like flu which I had 11 years ago but it took about 3 months for me to feel 100% again. I rocked up at work every day because that's what you do and a colleague came down with it. A marathon runner in his late 40's, he had a week off and was breathless walking to work when he returned.

We all had an antibody test in June and all of us were negative...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 193
pen penfras
September 8, 2020, 6:06pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from wuffing
One thing that is standing out in all of this...and that is: if you get the flu, you know it is the flu virus because of it's severity. If you get a cold, then you know it's a cold. You are a little rough for couple of days, but it doesn't stop you doing things. Various other ailments come and go, but this covid virus, how come if it is a rip-raging pandemic, some that have it don't know that they have got/had it, whilst others may suffer and die? Is it a clever little fellow/bug that can decide which body to run ragged? Why is it so selective? Does it think 'I don't like this geezer, he can have the full volume,' and 'oh I like this fellow's persona, I'll go easy on this one.' Surely if it is as vicious as it is made out to be, then why does it differentiate, because a virus such as flu treats every body it infects in the same way, as with a cold. And as for vulnerability, well the flu or a cold will still affect you in the same way!

Any virologists out there that can shed light?

There are lots of reasons that a virus is different for different people, and colds and flu are exactly the same. It can be antibodies from a previous illness or high t-cell count give you a boost. Different blood types can be more resistant and I'm sure a whole host of other genetic traits can help or hinder.

I don't think enough is known about why this virus is so varied, but it's the perfect storm of most people not being badly enough afftected that they spread it about, but enough people get seriously ill that it locks up the health services
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 193
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fans Returning/Cases Rising

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.