KingstonMariner
September 13, 2020, 3:08pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from lee65

I think it’s hard to draw on comparisons with Sweden, as I understand it, their population density is only 10 % of the UK and that must be a factor I guess?

Indeed. When they got the advice on social distancing by 2metres the Swedes were up in arms. 'There's no way I'm going to stand that close to someone.'  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 193
KingstonMariner
September 13, 2020, 3:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pontoonlew

And how far into the pits are you willing to see the world go for a virus that isn’t deadly for almost all of the people it comes into contact with?

Judging by your annoyance at how ‘low paid Nandos workers’ (your words, not mine) are back in work, I’d presume the answer to that is pretty far.

Striking a balance is absolutely key to getting back to normal. Those denying it’s a problem need to accept that it is and those like yourself, who seemingly want to stay indoors forever also need a reality check. You’re at risk every single day of your life, you’re far more likely to die in an RTA on the way to the match than you are to die of the virus at it, are you going to stop going when the virus has gone?

The reason the death rate isn't higher is because we have had lockdown and taken precautions to prevent it spreading. Your argument is a bit like saying "we don't have many deaths from gunfire in this country, so let's liberalise our gun laws" [and end up like the US].

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 193
friskneymariner
September 13, 2020, 3:15pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Cambridgefish

Let's hope so. We've been trying to get a vaccine for hepatitis C for 10 years without success so who knows for sure.

Coronvirus is the same family as the common cold and we have been years trying to develop a vaccine for that.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 193
Yoda
September 13, 2020, 4:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,951
Gold Stars: 65
Been trying for a vaccine for SARS for five years and still not got one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 193
pen penfras
September 13, 2020, 5:18pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Yoda
Been trying for a vaccine for SARS for five years and still not got one.

Trying to find a cure for a disease that has been wiped out except for in laboratories, is hardly a priority.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 193
Ipswin
September 13, 2020, 7:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from pen penfras

Trying to find a cure for a disease that has been wiped out except for in laboratories, is hardly a priority.

Until someone allows (or ensures) it escapes of course

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 193
Hagrid
September 13, 2020, 9:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
Not sure why this has been moved. My post was about fans returning. Football related
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 193
GYinScuntland
September 13, 2020, 11:00pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Hagrid
Not sure why this has been moved. My post was about fans returning. Football related

Totally agree, football related and topical.
Needs putting back on the main forum in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 193
Maringer
September 13, 2020, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Back on The Fishy for the first time in, ooh, months. Too much other stuff to deal with during the lockdown and aftermath to spend time on here.

I received my ST pack through the post from the club the other week, opened it, glanced at it briefly and then shoved it in the drawer where it remains untouched. As much as I'd like an excuse to get out of the house to see some games every couple of weeks, I can't see it being likely for a while yet and can't justify the expense when chances of me watching games even streaming are slim. Will be the first time I've not had a season ticket for thirty-something years.

As to how I see the season progressing, it depends on how things go as regards hospital admissions in the coming 'second wave'. Despite the recent and escalating increases in positive tests, we're obviously a long way below the actual undiagnosed/uncounted numbers which were occurring when the lockdown was imposed in March so we're not in an immediately dire situation and I don't think we're unlikely to get back to the same place again for several reasons.

Most people are now taking the virus seriously (which is sensible, given that an uncertain proportion of those infected even mildly seem to suffer heart damage while ill). Added to this, the likelihood seems to be that those already infected have some immunity to the disease (as is the case with the original SARS virus) which is why there have been relatively few discoveries of reinfection. The problem is that we don't know yet if people who have already had the disease often catch it again but usually remain asymptomatic. If so, they may still be able to infect others so sensible to keep wearing the masks in shops and indoor public areas. The widespread use of masks seems likely to reduce severity of infection even if they don't stop you catching it. With all these factors in place and people acting responsibly, it will hopefully be possible to keep infections to a low enough level that society can continue to function, albeit in the current 'new normal' with limited social interaction and a massive increase in unemployment which will kick in when furlough ends. That would hopefully give time for the absolutely mind-boggling amount of scientific research into the virus to bear some fruit in both prevention and treatment.

The news is always breathlessly talking about the vaccines in development (over 130 of them I believe!), but the virus is so new and there is so much to learn about it, that we shouldn't necessarily expect any of them to provide the sterilising immunity which we are used to from all the vaccines kids get today. One of the issues is that those involved in the vaccine trials will always be younger and healthier than those at most risk from the virus but there is obviously no way to directly test efficacy in higher risk groups. From what I've read, which is a lot (and probably too much), it is quite likely that the earliest vaccines will just reduce the severity of symptoms in the event of infection, but will only give weaker protection to the elderly who are most at risk. Still enough to make them worthwhile, but we're not likely to see a silver bullet which will suddenly make life go back to normal within a few months. Knowing just how infectious people with asymptomatic infections are likely to be would be helpful, but there isn't any evidence about this as yet and it's not something which can easily be discovered.

I personally think we're likely to see advances in treaments before we see effective vaccines. Dexamethasone can help a proportion of those most seriously ill but nowhere near all of them. Wouldn't surprise me if one or two other currently available drugs could also help further in severe cases which would be a very good discovery. A few companies have trials of monoclonal antibodies taking place as well - they've screened the thousands of antibodies naturally generated against Covid-19 by the immune system, selected a couple of of the strongest and most stable which attack different areas of the virus (to reduce the chance of mutations nullifying their effect) and then mass produce them to be given together as a treatment. If these were to work, it would be something you could give to somebody who was diagnosed as infected to hopefully clear the virus quickly.

My hope is that the club will ultimately be able to allow the limited numbers and spacing as originally planned before the new 'rule of 6' stuff. If some of the vaccines/treatments do have some helpful effect then we could hopefully reduce restrictions later in the season. Wouldn't surprise me if those who are elderly or with other risk factors are advised to give it a miss for now even with additional treatments, however. I'm sort of hoping that I'll be able to see one or two games during the latter stages of the season.

Incidentally, I hope everyone is taking a Vitamin D supplement, especially if you don't get out into the sunshine too much. Take via fish oils if you can as the body can use them better than Vit D from plants. The correlation between low Vitamin D levels and fatality rates is surely too high for it to be a coincidence so worth a punt to keep your levels up, especially when you consider so many people are Vit D deficient in the first place. Extra Vitamin D will be good for your overall health, even if it was to turn out that there wasn't actually any reduction in risk of severe Covid-19 infection.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 193
arryarryarry
September 14, 2020, 12:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,944
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Maringer

Incidentally, I hope everyone is taking a Vitamin D supplement, especially if you don't get out into the sunshine too much. Take via fish oils if you can as the body can use them better than Vit D from plants. The correlation between low Vitamin D levels and fatality rates is surely too high for it to be a coincidence so worth a punt to keep your levels up, especially when you consider so many people are Vit D deficient in the first place. Extra Vitamin D will be good for your overall health, even if it was to turn out that there wasn't actually any reduction in risk of severe Covid-19 infection.

I have taken Vit D for years so thanks for saying that, there'll be none frigging left when I go for some.
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 193
20 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fans Returning/Cases Rising

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.