Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell Out  (triple merged)

This thread currently has 47,536 views. Print
56 Pages Prev ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
February 10, 2024, 7:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from GrimRob

I think it's deeper than that. He really believes in this way of playing. He was our first choice, we may have spent ages appointing him but we approached him as the owners specifically wanted to play this way. It was a requirement of working here, on the job spec, and he was a devotee of it, we literally hand picked him. So for him to be sacked it effectively means the owners abandoning their philosophy and returning to more "industrial" football. It would be quite a volte-face.

If Stockwood has gotta eat some humble pie to save our league position then I fully expect him to chow down on it even if he don't like them apples
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 420 - 556
louth_in_the_south
February 10, 2024, 7:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
His insistence on playing a certain way could mean we end up at ebbsfleet next year . If I was DA I’d be guaranteeing my job for another year by making sure gtfc were in the EFL  

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 421 - 556
HerveJosse
February 10, 2024, 7:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from GrimRob
Pretty sure we'd have more points on the board had we kept Hurst. I thought it was the right decision at the time to sack him but the route we have gone down is the road to ruin. We don't have the players and frankly probably can't afford them to play the expansive style they have been asked to. Even more bonkers when we are in the middle of a relegation battle to embark on this path. The bottom two through pure luck keep losing. Artell if he doesn't relegate us this season will relegate us next one. Should cut our losses now and play to our strengths. Stop fannying around with short passes in our own defensive third.

Our strengths being what ? We have virtually a new team so we don’t know what there strengths are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 422 - 556
GollyGTFC
February 10, 2024, 7:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,054
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from GrimRob
Pretty sure we'd have more points on the board had we kept Hurst. I thought it was the right decision at the time to sack him but the route we have gone down is the road to ruin. We don't have the players and frankly probably can't afford them to play the expansive style they have been asked to. Even more bonkers when we are in the middle of a relegation battle to embark on this path. The bottom two through pure luck keep losing. Artell if he doesn't relegate us this season will relegate us next one. Should cut our losses now and play to our strengths. Stop fannying around with short passes in our own defensive third.

There was a third way though. Sack Hurst and make a decent appointment to replace him.

DA’s reign is turning into a farce.

We’ve conceded 16 goals in our last 4 home league matches.

To put that into context under Alan Buckley mk1 we only conceded 18 goals at home in his first season. We conceded 20 goals at home in his second season (D4 promotion). And we only conceded 13 goals the following season in D3 as we won back to back promotion.

For me he’s got 7 days to save his job. If he fails to win either game against the teams around us in the table then he’d deserve it.

Hurst probably got extra time because he had credit in the bank. DA doesn’t have any past successes to point to.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 423 - 556
louth_in_the_south
February 10, 2024, 7:54pm

Exile
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
In a perverse way I’d be happy to be in the national league though.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 424 - 556
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 8:04pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from GrimRob

I think it's deeper than that. He really believes in this way of playing. He was our first choice, we may have spent ages appointing him but we approached him as the owners specifically wanted to play this way. It was a requirement of working here, on the job spec, and he was a devotee of it, we literally hand picked him. So for him to be sacked it effectively means the owners abandoning their philosophy and returning to more "industrial" football. It would be quite a volte-face.

Then the owners are deluded. I had aspirations of playing for England, but I made it as a sub on the main boys team in primary. The owners, to me, seem fantastic, they have all the values that I want our football club to be, but at the same time they feel like dreamers. The priority is winning matches of football and that's where it ends, ultimately. I too like free-flowing, out from the back footie, ala Man City, but we're Grimsby Town, with unsatisfactory toilet facilities.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 425 - 556
Heisenberg
February 10, 2024, 8:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
In a perverse way I’d be happy to be in the national league though.

Never again. Never.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 426 - 556
1mickylyons
February 10, 2024, 8:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Well maybe the owners are not really great at choosing a Manager I mean Fenty had a dozen and they all failed miserably. Artell is really beginning to grate with a lot of fans already he's stubborn has a mule and he looks woefully short of tactical nouse.The set pieces for example are atrocious and the defending is amongst the worst I've ever seen.Rodgers must be 6ft 3in and towered over County's forward yet won nowt in the air.That would be mildly acceptable if he was better on the deck but his passing to row K in the Findus suggests that isn't his strength either? Maher at times has looked OK but today was another off day but again what do they work on?
A Stockport player went off injured he was down for a few minutes and our players are all on there own our captain and management team did nowt to rally them.If we lose Tuesday I'd pull the plug personally but Stockwood doesn't have the balls and like Rob says he'd have egg on his face No shame in making a mistake we all do Jason but ffs put it right if you need to.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 427 - 556
heppy88
February 10, 2024, 8:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
To be honest I feel for Artell. From what I gather he was Stockwood and Pettit’s target man for the post. Both reinforced this when the appointment was made. Again, if I remember right, Kristine (SLO) also confirmed this when talking to Humberside post Artell’s appointment.

It also became clear, through interviews with Stockwood, that HE (Stockwood) had a style of play and identity that he himself preferred and had discussed this with Artell during the process of recruitment.

Basically Artell was head hunted to carry out a preferred brief by the owners. He is now trying to carry this out with the players he inherited and those that were available to him in the January window. The players were not performing under Hurst, who couldn’t get a tune out of them and few are capable of adapting to Artell’s instructions. Basically the players are just not capable at this level. That is not the fault of Artell. For all those who say he should just change his style to adapt
to the players strengths, what are those strengths? Hurst couldn’t get them to gel and play his style and neither can Artell. This isn’t a criticism of the players, they’re just not suited to each other and the requirements for this level.

The abuse Artell is receiving after such a short time in the post, on all social media platforms is, to be honest, abhorrent and the speed at which “supporters” are turning on players after conceding a goal, against top of the league opposition, says more about Grimsby’s current following than anything happening on the pitch, or in the dressing room.

Artell stressed from day one that the task he has been given cannot be completed quickly, and would take many months. He told us, it wouldn’t be a pretty sight at times. He shouldn’t have to tell supporters of a football club that this is the case, that Rome wasn’t built in a day, but at GTFC it appears he does, again and again and again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 428 - 556
ancientmariner54
February 10, 2024, 8:23pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 13
Thankfully Shaun and Ben are still here , ditch D.A. and let them ssee out the season . They took 5 points from a possible 9 in their three games in charge . Given a transfer window as well , I wonder where we could have been now ? Pass the Paracetamol,  I feel a Holloway coming on .. U.T.M.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 429 - 556
56 Pages Prev ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.