Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell Out  (triple merged)

This thread currently has 48,000 views. Print
56 Pages Prev ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Norseman
January 30, 2024, 11:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

We have to play Forest Green, Swindon, Bradford and Doncaster all at home, 4 teams that are in worse states than we are. Crawley away last game of the season in a likely game that'll mean 0 to them.

We played Sutton and Colchester at home look how well that ended .Not sure where Bradford are in trouble .We lost to Doncaster and drew with FGR we haven't beaten a team in the bottom 6
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 380 - 556
LocalLadGTFC
January 31, 2024, 12:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 141
Quoted from Norseman

We played Sutton and Colchester at home look how well that ended .Not sure where Bradford are in trouble .We lost to Doncaster and drew with FGR we haven't beaten a team in the bottom 6

Bradford are bang in trouble in terms of form, probably have too many points on the board to go down but they had a new manager bounce but are now in worse form than us. They've lost the first choice keeper and the fans are in uproar about the way the club is run. Haven't won a game since the 22nd of December.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 381 - 556
Mappers
January 31, 2024, 7:38am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.40
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,567
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from HerveJosse

Do you think a commercial property investor and ex property lawyer would take on Blundell Park without having a survey?

It all fell in line with this 10 year annual inspection didn't it , were all the big work was picked up on - they must have known there were big jobs from that ,maybe they didn't quite realise the cost implications , still over 1 million of work to do isn't there with The Main stand and Findus?

I would be interested to know the cost of maintaining BP against the cost of other newer stadiums , because they must all need money spending on them to keep them running and whether once these bigger works are done at BP they will get a bit if respite in terms of having to spend money on the stadium .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 382 - 556
ska face
January 31, 2024, 9:41am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,848
Gold Stars: 854
Quoted from friskneymariner

It is not just after a loss though is it? it after a whole series of adverse feedback loops.It is called contingency planning.

At what stage of your contingency plans would you say it’s appropriate to publicly issue a statement to say “we acknowledge here have been a series of adverse feedback loops, and this could lead to an existential crisis”?

Baring in mind that the vast majority of the club’s stakeholders - sponsors, corporate partners, fans, players, staff - aren’t the kind of hyper-involved, terminally online doom-mongers that inhabit this particular dark corner of the internet?
Private Message
Reply: 383 - 556
trickeymickey
January 31, 2024, 10:39pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +153
Gold Stars: 13
I sit at home and follow the fortunes of my home town team (the alex) and places where I worked.  I was in Grimbo for three years when we were climbing into the Championship with you lads and falling out again with you lads.  I am 84 and live an hours drive from Crewe so never go now.  I dont normally post on any forums either usually.
I hope you wont mind me commenting on this Artell thread.
I have tried to work out what the long term plan of your board is.
In 1983 Gradi was given indefinite time to stop us finishing in the bottom four every year and build  a youth system - it was before academies really.  It took 6 years. Although he sold two or three players for money they were low league and non league finds - he was good at that.  Kenny Swain was appointed assistant and was poached almost immediately so they got Baker in from Leek Town because no league club would want him and he was also good at finding lower league talent.  Eventually our own talent came through and discovered talent was coached to fruition. David Platt, Rob Jones, Geoff Thomas, Danny Murphy, Ashley Ward, Wayne Collins, Seth Johnson, Robbie Savage, Neil Lennon.  And later Rob Hulse, Dean Ashton, David Vaughan, Michael O'Connor, Billy Jones, Nicky Maynard and Ashley Westwood No 2.
The organisation, personnel required and expense involved are enormous.
As a result they cant afford to spend on buying players.
The slogan became "We will go with what we've got"  So if the next batch of youngsters hasn't come through yet they sigh, shrug shoulders and get relegated.
Is this the template that your board has agreed with Artell?
If so, firstly you must be patient.
Secondly,  I am not sure that Artell is the man to set up a youth system AND keep the team going until it delivers.
Remember he was only in position as Academy boss for a short time.  He built nothing.  The system was staffed and running and would continue to do so whether he was there or not.
When he was a player and on his return Manager he was used to players emerging into the first team like they always did.  Then, we arrived at a time when some good youngsters were a year away so he had to find players who could make a difference to the team for nothing or cheaper if poss!  and Crewe rarely recruit many players from ouside the club.
His recruitment could be described as useless but in truth it wasnt as good as that!  And so Crewe were on the brink of disaster.  They went back to the old system and tried joint managers from the Academy system and changed that again before settling down with Lee Bell.  They have had a significant injury problem this year but by introducing new youngsters have somehow got away with it.  Having lost two key players this month they could slide now unless the injured come back and hit form straight away.  Some youngsters are out of contract this year so what happens next year?
Is this what you think Town's forward plan is going to be?  Is this what you're letting yourselves in for?
Ignore me if you think this isnt helpful.
I was so pleased when you came back up.  I think you are going to scrape by this year.  I have a lot of experience in this area!
And stop wingeing on about a new stadium.  Do the existing one up.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 384 - 556
Son of Cod
February 1, 2024, 9:03am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,351
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from trickeymickey
I sit at home and follow the fortunes of my home town team (the alex) and places where I worked.  I was in Grimbo for three years when we were climbing into the Championship with you lads and falling out again with you lads.  I am 84 and live an hours drive from Crewe so never go now.  I dont normally post on any forums either usually.
I hope you wont mind me commenting on this Artell thread.
I have tried to work out what the long term plan of your board is.
In 1983 Gradi was given indefinite time to stop us finishing in the bottom four every year and build  a youth system - it was before academies really.  It took 6 years. Although he sold two or three players for money they were low league and non league finds - he was good at that.  Kenny Swain was appointed assistant and was poached almost immediately so they got Baker in from Leek Town because no league club would want him and he was also good at finding lower league talent.  Eventually our own talent came through and discovered talent was coached to fruition. David Platt, Rob Jones, Geoff Thomas, Danny Murphy, Ashley Ward, Wayne Collins, Seth Johnson, Robbie Savage, Neil Lennon.  And later Rob Hulse, Dean Ashton, David Vaughan, Michael O'Connor, Billy Jones, Nicky Maynard and Ashley Westwood No 2.
The organisation, personnel required and expense involved are enormous.
As a result they cant afford to spend on buying players.
The slogan became "We will go with what we've got"  So if the next batch of youngsters hasn't come through yet they sigh, shrug shoulders and get relegated.
Is this the template that your board has agreed with Artell?
If so, firstly you must be patient.
Secondly,  I am not sure that Artell is the man to set up a youth system AND keep the team going until it delivers.
Remember he was only in position as Academy boss for a short time.  He built nothing.  The system was staffed and running and would continue to do so whether he was there or not.
When he was a player and on his return Manager he was used to players emerging into the first team like they always did.  Then, we arrived at a time when some good youngsters were a year away so he had to find players who could make a difference to the team for nothing or cheaper if poss!  and Crewe rarely recruit many players from ouside the club.
His recruitment could be described as useless but in truth it wasnt as good as that!  And so Crewe were on the brink of disaster.  They went back to the old system and tried joint managers from the Academy system and changed that again before settling down with Lee Bell.  They have had a significant injury problem this year but by introducing new youngsters have somehow got away with it.  Having lost two key players this month they could slide now unless the injured come back and hit form straight away.  Some youngsters are out of contract this year so what happens next year?
Is this what you think Town's forward plan is going to be?  Is this what you're letting yourselves in for?
Ignore me if you think this isnt helpful.
I was so pleased when you came back up.  I think you are going to scrape by this year.  I have a lot of experience in this area!
And stop wingeing on about a new stadium.  Do the existing one up.

The plan isn't to try and replicate the Crewe youth system, nor is our youth setup central to Artell coming in. Our youth team is doing really well this season and I think everyone is optimistic that one or two players might break through at some point but in reality our academy doesn't produce players that come through into the first team very often at all. Harry Clifton on 250+ appearances is very much the outlier of recent years.

The model/plan of the owners seems to be going down the route of bringing in young talent from elsewhere that is ready for senior football and transferring them on for higher fees and substantial sell ons. Where Artell comes into this is that he's been brought in to change the style of football from Hurst's pragmatic way to something that is more pleasing on the eye and thus more marketable towards said players. I'd imagine the fact that he has previosuly successfully incorporated young players with little or no EFL experience into a League 2 side was also a factor in his appointment.

It remains to be seen how much control Artell has over recruitment, but we have a recruitment team in place that is also working on this side of things and they're adopting a...whisper it quietly...data led approach.

In terms of the wider plan, the long term vision of the owners is to make the club sustainable and to deepen the roots within the community.

It's an interesting point you raise about the patience of Crewe fans, as I've always felt that Crewe fans are probably about as patient as you get in the EFL. Us Grimsby fans are cut from an entirely different cloth though and probably more representative of football fans in general. What I would say on that though is that seeing your side drop into the National League twice and being involved in countless fourth tier relegation scraps and lower midtable seasons that fizzle out hasn't helped things at all. The desire and pressure for a League 2 promotion push is massive. We've not been above the fourth tier since we were relegated into it at the end of the 2003/04 season. It's probably easier to be patient when you're a Crewe fan and you know that even if you have a poor League 2 season then you're probably gonna be pushing for promotion the season after. This is a belief that we just don't have as Grimsby fans because up until the new owners came in there hasn't been any kind of plan or identity over the past few decades to put our trust in. Having owners that want to push us forward is new for us and being told we need to be patient and actually understanding that and acting on it are very different things especially when your side puts in some of the performances they have this seaaon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 385 - 556
davmariner
February 10, 2024, 3:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,983
Gold Stars: 79
Another tanking at home coming? What’s the data telling us? Surely worse than under Hurst.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 386 - 556
louth_in_the_south
February 10, 2024, 3:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,722
Gold Stars: 96
He’s a fooking liability this bloke . The sooner he’s gone the better. Totally fooled our owners with a load of spiel about how he’s going to make us play some kind of modern football. It’s league 2 matey . You believe your hype . You’re not fooling the fans though.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 387 - 556
jonnyboy82
February 10, 2024, 3:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
We've gone from being mid table quite excrement to being fodder of the league and seriously excrement.

This is very worrying.  I'm not sure they will sack him but when does enough be enough.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 388 - 556
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
February 10, 2024, 3:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
He has to go this weekend, put  Shaun and Ben back in to steer us to calmer waters, artell is a charlatan

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 389 - 556
56 Pages Prev ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.