Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell Out  (triple merged)

This thread currently has 47,539 views. Print
56 Pages Prev ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GibMariner
February 10, 2024, 8:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -964
Gold Stars: 21
“”Play the Grimsby way”” “hi pressing football”
Private Message
Reply: 430 - 556
Northbank Mariner
February 10, 2024, 8:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from ancientmariner54
Thankfully Shaun and Ben are still here , ditch D.A. and let them ssee out the season . They took 5 points from a possible 9 in their three games in charge . Given a transfer window as well , I wonder where we could have been now ? Pass the Paracetamol,  I feel a Holloway coming on .. U.T.M.

Oh do give up on this narrative, Pearson and Davis aren't and never were the answer, they couldn't even beat a FGR team that were leaking goals for fun and struggled against a bunch of tinker, tailors and candlestick makers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 431 - 556
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2024, 8:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from heppy88
To be honest I feel for Artell. From what I gather he was Stockwood and Pettit’s target man for the post. Both reinforced this when the appointment was made. Again, if I remember right, Kristine (SLO) also confirmed this when talking to Humberside post Artell’s appointment.

It also became clear, through interviews with Stockwood, that HE (Stockwood) had a style of play and identity that he himself preferred and had discussed this with Artell during the process of recruitment.

Basically Artell was head hunted to carry out a preferred brief by the owners. He is now trying to carry this out with the players he inherited and those that were available to him in the January window. The players were not performing under Hurst, who couldn’t get a tune out of them and few are capable of adapting to Artell’s instructions. Basically the players are just not capable at this level. That is not the fault of Artell. For all those who say he should just change his style to adapt
to the players strengths, what are those strengths? Hurst couldn’t get them to gel and play his style and neither can Artell. This isn’t a criticism of the players, they’re just not suited to each other and the requirements for this level.

The abuse Artell is receiving after such a short time in the post, on all social media platforms is, to be honest, abhorrent and the speed at which “supporters” are turning on players after conceding a goal, against top of the league opposition, says more about Grimsby’s current following than anything happening on the pitch, or in the dressing room.

Artell stressed from day one that the task he has been given cannot be completed quickly, and would take many months. He told us, it wouldn’t be a pretty sight at times. He shouldn’t have to tell supporters of a football club that this is the case, that Rome wasn’t built in a day, but at GTFC it appears he does, again and again and again.

Remind me, how many games have we won this year?
Private Message
Reply: 432 - 556
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 8:32pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from heppy88
The abuse Artell is receiving after such a short time in the post, on all social media platforms is, to be honest, abhorrent and the speed at which “supporters” are turning on players after conceding a goal, against top of the league opposition, says more about Grimsby’s current following than anything happening on the pitch, or in the dressing room.

Artell stressed from day one that the task he has been given cannot be completed quickly, and would take many months. He told us, it wouldn’t be a pretty sight at times. He shouldn’t have to tell supporters of a football club that this is the case, that Rome wasn’t built in a day, but at GTFC it appears he does, again and again and again.

The thing is, he never had many months, it was a relegation battle from appointment, to not see that is naïve at best. The owners wanting a certain level play is quite frankly baffling and I think the more I hear about their part in the appointment, the less I believe in their ambitions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 433 - 556
Gainsbro_Mariner
February 10, 2024, 8:35pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,458
Gold Stars: 15
He’s been the first appointment in a while that I’ve not been in the slightest bit sold on.

I’ve got to go back to Nicky Law in 2004 the last time I thought nope, not even a single iota of confidence in this appointment. There was even a morsel more sold on Neil Woods getting the job in 2009 despite not winning a game in his caretaker spell.

I just can’t listen to him, even from day 1 in his first interview, not one strand of me has thought this was a good appointment, that’s not to say I’ve not been supportive. But the football is crap, and I know Hurst’s poor recruitment in the summer has been the catalyst, but we said previously Artell is the wrong man at the wrong time.

Weird thing is, the owners and some of the fans wanted a more attractive style of football, so they appointed a man who plays that style, the downside is the players both at the club already or the ones brought in look incapable of that style and the guy dishing out that philosophy is trying to do it without bringing in his own coaching staff to help, and seemingly isn’t as capable as what the owners would have hoped.

Normally I would be against upsetting the apple cart and resetting so quickly, I’d like to think in my 30 years of supporting Town I’m a fairly ground and wise head but I’ve gotta admit I would be happy if he went right now.

I know it’s easier said than done finding a replacement who can steady the ship, but a calmer, more fathomable head is needed. Else you’re right…Altrincham we come !

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 434 - 556
GrimRob
February 10, 2024, 8:36pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,449
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from HerveJosse

Our strengths being what ? We have virtually a new team so we don’t know what there strengths are.

We need to go back to grinding out draws and a few wins. The first part of the season we lost a few games but they were rarely heavy defeats and normally we had at least a chance of getting something in the final stages. The transfer window has arguably strengthened the team but we're not a free-scoring side who can gift the opposition multiple goal-scoring opportunities every game. It might not be sexy football .

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 435 - 556
exiledmeggie
February 10, 2024, 8:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -209
Gold Stars: 19
Do Pennells on Humberston Rd. sell pitch forks?

Asking for a friend!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 436 - 556
ska face
February 10, 2024, 8:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,776
Gold Stars: 851
You could almost take it if there was some acknowledgement of just how deep in the shít we are. Artell sounded exactly like Hurst in that interview, going on about underlying metrics and our great away form (1 win in 6). Even Tondeur pulled him up when he said nobody was moaning when we scored 5 against Notts County, pointing out that we had also managed to concede 5. That’s how bad it is when even John Tondeur has to make that point.

We are in fųcking shambles here. He talks about how all the players & coaches have a voice and are expected to contribute and communicate - is there not one single person then, from almost 30 squad members, Shaun Pearson & Ben Davies, Steve Croudson, the analysts, the owners or the kitman who will stand up and say there is a fundamental problem?

If not, then they either don’t understand or, worse, don’t care about the fact we’re a gnat’s cøck away from going out the league AGAIN. It’s 9pts now, but there’s 16 games still to play. We lose two & Forest Green win two, which could hypothetically be the case this time next week, and I’m not sure any of the absolute fannies in this squad have the spine for the fight they’ll end up in.
Private Message
Reply: 437 - 556
GrimRob
February 10, 2024, 9:18pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,449
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from ska face
If not, then they either don’t understand or, worse, don’t care about the fact we’re a gnat’s cøck away from going out the league AGAIN. It’s 9pts now, but there’s 16 games still to play. We lose two & Forest Green win two, which could hypothetically be the case this time next week, and I’m not sure any of the absolute fannies in this squad have the spine for the fight they’ll end up in.

It's seven points not nine

https://www.thefishy.co.uk/leaguetable.php?table=4&tab=tab-overall

We have been incredibly lucky with the form of the bottom two, but it can't last.

https://www.thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=4&tab=tab-last10

The next few games are massive. A few weeks ago I thought the season might be all but over in February, It still could be with a couple of wins but it's hard to see!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 438 - 556
Heswall Mariner
February 10, 2024, 9:25pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
He’s been the first appointment in a while that I’ve not been in the slightest bit sold on.

I’ve got to go back to Nicky Law in 2004 the last time I thought nope, not even a single iota of confidence in this appointment. There was even a morsel more sold on Neil Woods getting the job in 2009 despite not winning a game in his caretaker spell.

I just can’t listen to him, even from day 1 in his first interview, not one strand of me has thought this was a good appointment, that’s not to say I’ve not been supportive. But the football is crap, and I know Hurst’s poor recruitment in the summer has been the catalyst, but we said previously Artell is the wrong man at the wrong time.

Weird thing is, the owners and some of the fans wanted a more attractive style of football, so they appointed a man who plays that style, the downside is the players both at the club already or the ones brought in look incapable of that style and the guy dishing out that philosophy is trying to do it without bringing in his own coaching staff to help, and seemingly isn’t as capable as what the owners would have hoped.

Normally I would be against upsetting the apple cart and resetting so quickly, I’d like to think in my 30 years of supporting Town I’m a fairly ground and wise head but I’ve gotta admit I would be happy if he went right now.

I know it’s easier said than done finding a replacement who can steady the ship, but a calmer, more fathomable head is needed. Else you’re right…Altrincham we come !

It's worse than that - the mighty Altrincham are on a roll & heading for the play offs - more likely Dorking I fear.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 439 - 556
56 Pages Prev ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.