Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell Out  (triple merged)

This thread currently has 47,535 views. Print
56 Pages Prev ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
February 10, 2024, 10:31pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,080
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from friskneymariner

Confuscius says''he who rides on the back of a tiger,cannot ever dismount''

Confuscius also say "inventor of shag carpet make big pile"

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 450 - 556
toontown
February 10, 2024, 10:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,277
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Sooner or later the players will lose belief in what Artell is trying to do then we’re in even deeper sh1t.

They already have lost belief
So have the fans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 451 - 556
mariner91
February 10, 2024, 11:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,747
Gold Stars: 262
I don't understand why Artell isn't more pragmatic. He can't be that thick surely? Every single team we play knows that we will struggle to move the ball from the defence into midfield so are happy to let our defenders have it. They also know that if they press when there's a longer or slower pass or a bad touch, that our spineless players will panic and gift them chances.

We're not Man City. We don't have an enormous team of fantastic coaches, a bottomless pit of money and one of the strongest squads that club football has ever seen. We have to be more pragmatic and limit our weaknesses. Maybe in the future, with the correct players, it will be possible to play like this but right now we're just gifting goals every week.

I wonder if Artell's relative success at Crewe has warped his perception of his own coaching ability. He had a squad supplemented by a large amount of youth players that are all playing Championship football now. Good, technical players who have been coached to play this way since childhood. But we're not Crewe. We don't have good technical players, we've mostly got players that have no bottle and often aren't particularly good at the basics. If he wants to save his job he needs to stop being so stubborn. I'd give him a week and if we haven't got at least three points from the next two games then he's got to go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 452 - 556
HertsGTFC
February 10, 2024, 11:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
And people said Hurst was stubborn 😂😂😂

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 453 - 556
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 11:05pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from mariner91
I don't understand why Artell isn't more pragmatic. He can't be that thick surely? Every single team we play knows that we will struggle to move the ball from the defence into midfield so are happy to let our defenders have it. They also know that if they press when there's a longer or slower pass or a bad touch, that our spineless players will panic and gift them chances.

We're not Man City. We don't have an enormous team of fantastic coaches, a bottomless pit of money and one of the strongest squads that club football has ever seen. We have to be more pragmatic and limit our weaknesses. Maybe in the future, with the correct players, it will be possible to play like this but right now we're just gifting goals every week.

I wonder if Artell's relative success at Crewe has warped his perception of his own coaching ability. He had a squad supplemented by a large amount of youth players that are all playing Championship football now. Good, technical players who have been coached to play this way since childhood. But we're not Crewe. We don't have good technical players, we've mostly got players that have no bottle and often aren't particularly at the basics. If he wants to save his job he needs to stop being so stubborn. I'd give him a week and if we haven't got at least three points from the next two games then he's got to go.

I subscribe to this belief. He was given an incredibly talented Alex side that were technical and could move the ball, so he went with it, thinking that he's a technical genius. Now he's got a dog excrement Grimsby side that can't hit barn door with a banjo and he's trying to make them Pirouettes with a club foot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 454 - 556
TownSNAFU5
February 10, 2024, 11:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Rejecting any change and sticking to his way - even when clearly failing.  His post-match comments infuriate fans again when he still thinks he is right.  And will attempt to prove his case with selected evidence and dis-jointed views.  We are too good to go down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 455 - 556
heppy88
February 10, 2024, 11:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from mariner91
I don't understand why Artell isn't more pragmatic. He can't be that thick surely?

I don’t think Artell is “thick” at all and if you want “pragmatic” then we had that in Hurst, in spades. Hurst recruited for and attempted to play a more attractive style of football at the beginning of this season. I’m sure he was happy with his close season business, as many of us seemed to be at the time. In his interviews discussing signings, he was literally beaming like a Cheshire Cat. You could even argue that Hurst believed he had recruited the type of player capable of playing in the style Artell now wants to adopt!

But, it soon became apparent to all that the new and existing players were not suited to a more passing style of play and being pragmatic Hurst soon returned to type. But we all know how that turned out!

I’ll be honest, I know didley squat about football tactics. But, there are numerous posts saying if Artell could just change this, tweak that, play to strengths etc. Surely though it’s not that easy and as simple as that, as The pragmatic and experienced Hurst realised to his peril?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 456 - 556
GrimRob
February 10, 2024, 11:31pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,448
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from DB

Even starting to sound like him as it's everybody's fault we lose but his.

Wonder if he has got a dart board for "bonding"

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 457 - 556
Nelly GTFC
February 10, 2024, 11:35pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,759
Gold Stars: 31
First one minute, listen to what he says.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 458 - 556
mariner91
February 10, 2024, 11:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,747
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from heppy88

I don’t think Artell is “thick” at all and if you want “pragmatic” then we had that in Hurst, in spades. Hurst recruited for and attempted to play a more attractive style of football at the beginning of this season. I’m sure he was happy with his close season business, as many of us seemed to be at the time. In his interviews discussing signings, he was literally beaming like a Cheshire Cat. You could even argue that Hurst believed he had recruited the type of player capable of playing in the style Artell now wants to adopt!

But, it soon became apparent to all that the new and existing players were not suited to a more passing style of play and being pragmatic Hurst soon returned to type. But we all know how that turned out!

I’ll be honest, I know didley squat about football tactics. But, there are numerous posts saying if Artell could just change this, tweak that, play to strengths etc. Surely though it’s not that easy and as simple as that, as The pragmatic Hurst realised to his peril?

There must be a happy medium between Hurst's ultra defensive, keep your shape to the detriment of any attacking intent approach from earlier this season and the passing ourselves into trouble in our defensive third that Artell is insisting we play. Even when we're passing it across the back, it's so slow and predictable that it creates nothing. The whole idea of playing out from the back as far as I can tell is A) if you've got the ball, you're in control and B) moving it quickly disrupts the shape of the opposition to create space to attack. But we don't move it quickly and the showing from the midfield is non-existent. So if you're the manager and presumably can see the same things that the rest of us can namely that our defenders aren't good enough on the ball and panic when under pressure and that our midfielders don't move to receive it to feet then why keep playing that way?! If done well then playing that way creates more chances for you than it causes problems but the issue is that we're abysmal at it currently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 459 - 556
56 Pages Prev ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.