Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell Out  (triple merged)

This thread currently has 47,517 views. Print
56 Pages Prev ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
February 11, 2024, 8:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Thursday just gone marked 20 years to the day since a humiliating 6-0 defeat at Oldham Athletic. Which of course means Friday just gone marked 20 years to the day since Paul Groves was sacked as Grimsby Town manager.

I bring it up as Groves' "permenant" successor (albeit on a contract to the end of the season) would be Nicky Law. His spell as Town manager has gone down in infamy and he's widely regarded as the worst manager in the club's history.

Nicky Law managed just 12 league games as Grimsby manager. His record was as follows...

Played 12
Won 3 (25%)
Drew 2
Lost 7
GD -10 (-0.833 per game)
Pts 11 (0.917 per game)

David Artell will have his 12th league game as Head Coach on Tuesday (if he isn't sacked tomorrow) and his record after 11 matches is...

Played 11
Won 2 (18%)
Drew 4
Lost 5
GD -7 (-0.636 per game)
Pts 10 (0.909 per game)

That is the level of failure we are dealing with.

Hadn't realised it was that bad. How does he compare to the last 11 games of Holloway and Hurst out of interest?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 500 - 556
ancientmariner54
February 11, 2024, 8:32pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Oh do give up on this narrative, Pearson and Davis aren't and never were the answer, they couldn't even beat a FGR team that were leaking goals for fun and struggled against a bunch of tinker, tailors and candlestick makers

I know it's hypothetical but if they carried on with their points per game ratio we could be on 36 points at this moment . And that's without the advantage of a  transfer window , putting us 14 points ahead of Sutton and 16 ahead of  FGR . I'm not against Artell and what he is trying to do , I hope he succeeds for all our sakes but half way through a season ,near the bottom of the league is not the right time to be experimenting . This is why I think Shaun and Ben should have been given the rest of the season .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 501 - 556
fishcake63
February 11, 2024, 8:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
I'm worried not only about his record but the fact we haven't got the defenders especially to play his way , we see it why cant he is my point , stockport manager post match said we watched video & new we could set traps for them to fall in our lap , we make it easy & once we go behind heads drop & too easy to beat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 502 - 556
Poojah
February 11, 2024, 8:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,741
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Thursday just gone marked 20 years to the day since a humiliating 6-0 defeat at Oldham Athletic. Which of course means Friday just gone marked 20 years to the day since Paul Groves was sacked as Grimsby Town manager.

I bring it up as Groves' "permenant" successor (albeit on a contract to the end of the season) would be Nicky Law. His spell as Town manager has gone down in infamy and he's widely regarded as the worst manager in the club's history.

Nicky Law managed just 12 league games as Grimsby manager. His record was as follows...

Played 12
Won 3 (25%)
Drew 2
Lost 7
GD -10 (-0.833 per game)
Pts 11 (0.917 per game)

David Artell will have his 12th league game as Head Coach on Tuesday (if he isn't sacked tomorrow) and his record after 11 matches is...

Played 11
Won 2 (18%)
Drew 4
Lost 5
GD -7 (-0.636 per game)
Pts 10 (0.909 per game)

That is the level of failure we are dealing with.

Personally, I’d say Law has got some competition for worst Town manager of all time, all from the last 20 years. Newell, Bignot, Slade (mkII) and Holloway all had their own unique brand of calamity and disaster. You could possibly make a case for Rodger and Woods, too, but I can’t quite bring myself to include them alongside those charlatans.

Ultimately, there are a few common symptoms that start to appear when you’ve got someone really bad in the dugout, or at least someone heading for an inevitable sacking.
  • Heavy, virtually uncontested defeats
  • Shipping goals for fun
  • Conceding regular, calamitous goals
  • No system / system blatantly not working
  • Players apparently not playing for the manager
  • Bizarre manager interviews
  • Wild indiscipline

Honestly, of the above, it’s only really the last one you can argue we’re not seeing. Yet. The first-half yesterday just felt like the kind of performance you tend to get in the dying embers of a manager’s tenure. As others have said, it wasn’t so much the result, but the manner of it. It had just so many hallmarks of a team in a tailspin.

JS & AP are in a bit of a sticky wicket here. Having to sack Artell so early into his time here would be a bit embarrassing for them, as their first official managerial hire. But it goes without saying that going down would be magnitudes more damaging.

I don’t think Artell will go with defeat against Colchester, just as Hurst didn’t despite an absolutely appalling result and performance. But lose to Colchester and Donny, and it’d be hard to make a case for the bloke. His win rate already stands at 16.7%. Failure to win any of the next two takes it to 14.3%, and not many managers can sustain that kind of form over a period equivalent to almost a third of a season.

I’d love Artell to turn this around, because that would mean we’re safe, and I do at least like the general idea of what he’s trying to do (even if the current execution of it is shocking), but the signs don’t look good, going off past experience.

All that said, a win on Tuesday alters the complexion of things entirely. I’m just running short on confidence after yesterday.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 503 - 556
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 8:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Poojah

Personally, I’d say Law has got some competition for worst Town manager of all time, all from the last 20 years. Newell, Bignot, Slade (mkII) and Holloway all had their own unique brand of calamity and disaster. You could possibly make a case for Rodger and Woods, too, but I can’t quite bring myself to include them alongside those charlatans.

Ultimately, there are a few common symptoms that start to appear when you’ve got someone really bad in the dugout, or at least someone heading for an inevitable sacking.
  • Shipping goals for fun
  • Wild indiscipline

Honestly, of the above, it’s only really the last one you can argue we’re not seeing. Yet. The first-half yesterday just felt like the kind of performance you tend to get in the dying embers of a manager’s tenure. As others have said, it wasn’t so much the result, but the manner of it. It had just so many hallmarks of a team in a tailspin.

JS & AP are in a bit of a sticky wicket here. Having to sack Artell so early into his time here would be a bit embarrassing for them, as their first official managerial hire. But it goes without saying that going down would be magnitudes more damaging.

I don’t think Artell will go with defeat against Colchester, just as Hurst didn’t despite an absolutely appalling result and performance. But lose to Colchester and Donny, and it’d be hard to make a case for the bloke. His win rate already stands at 16.7%. Failure to win any of the next two takes it to 14.3%, and not many managers can sustain that kind of form over a period equivalent to almost a third of a season.

I’d love Artell to turn this around, because that would mean we’re safe, and I do at least like the general idea of what he’s trying to do (even if the current execution of it is shocking), but the signs don’t look good, going off past experience.

All that said, a win on Tuesday alters the complexion of things entirely. I’m just running short on confidence after yesterday.  

I’d love someone/anyone to turn it round. I know I keep banging on about it but we were great against Crewe and had apparently been pretty good against MK and Oxford. Since then? A win against a woeful Salford and a wild, emotional 10 goal thriller apart, it’s been pretty woeful. I hate to say it but something must have happened behind the scenes because we’ve gone backwards very quickly and the body language is appalling (particularly those who are forced to sit in the Main Stand watching).
Private Message
Reply: 504 - 556
Hagrid
February 11, 2024, 9:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,487
Gold Stars: 536
Not defending Artell in the slightest, I wasnt enthused by his appointment and I wouldnt be fussed if we got rid, But the players, Rosey aside, are a flipping disgrace

They threw Hursty under the bus, and they’re doing the same here. Talentless and spineless. There is no leaders on that pitch. Just a bunch of going through the motions losers

If they showed some fight or pride, I’d give them some leeway, but we’ve seen time and time and time again this season, a lack of the bare minimum of effort and pride. They give up and heads go down faster than a Thai hooker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 505 - 556
arryarryarry
February 11, 2024, 10:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Poojah

• Shipping goals for fun
  • Wild indiscipline

Of course you should include Woods, he may be a nice bloke and great running youth teams but he was totally out of his depth running the first team and it was obvious before he was given the job permanently he would take us down.
Private Message
Reply: 506 - 556
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 11:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,962
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from arryarryarry

Of course you should include Woods, he may be a nice bloke and great running youth teams but he was totally out of his depth running the first team and it was obvious before he was given the job permanently he would take us down.

It was one hell of a mess that Woods inherited though. This was the team for Mike Newell’s final game against Rochdale. https://www.espn.co.uk/football/match/_/gameId/269356/rochdale-grimsby-town

Merely reading the line-up is enough to make grown men cry.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 507 - 556
Poojah
February 11, 2024, 11:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,741
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from arryarryarry

Possibly, yeah. But I think he inherited a shít show even an experienced manager would have struggled to turn around; far worse than what Hurst found himself with at the end of 2020. When you listen to the candid accounts of the likes of Paul Linwood and Peter Sweeney, the state things were in was almost impossible to believe.

Players sinking beers on the way to training. The manager (Newell) ringing players midweek to find out what pub they were in so he could join them for a session. Conlon biting a live fish in half. Fúck me, I knew the lad who ran Conlon’s local pub at the time (The Owl, Rodley, for reference), and the stories I can’t repeat on here for mine and Rob’s sake.

Woods stopped the rot to a large extent that relegation season, but just couldn’t buy a win. He drew 16 of his 33 games, and won 5. Several of those draws involved late equalisers or late missed Town penalties. Fine margins shape the way that Woods will ultimately be remembered. His PPG in League Two was still comfortably higher than Artell’s as things stand. The margins have been nothing but fine with this 2024 Town team.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 508 - 556
Nelly GTFC
February 12, 2024, 12:23am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,761
Gold Stars: 31
Not sure if this was posted anywhere on the fishy, but see it come up on twitter.  I think someone else mentioned on here about Warnock saying about teams trying to play out from the back like Man City.

Tweet 1756598347148738733 will appear here...

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 509 - 556
56 Pages Prev ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.