Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell Out  (triple merged)

This thread currently has 47,540 views. Print
56 Pages Prev ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 Next All Recommend Thread
trickeymickey
February 11, 2024, 1:28pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 12
Regarding what you say in the last paragraph Toontown - that is exactly correct.
BUT
I can remember in the 90's watching two teenage Alex fullbacks and a teenage centre half passing the ball across the back between themselves and along with everyone else pooing myself and expecting an interception.  Often, that was exactly what happened.  This way of playing wasnt even fashionable then.
Some of those lads had been there since they were 6 years old.
The Alex still struggled at the bottom just managing to avoid getting dumped out for years.
This is what your Management have signed up for.  Thats why I said elsewhere that you need patience (and two pairs of underpants).
Eventually, although the fear never goes away, the occasional spell of Brazil style passing footbal by other teenagers makes you feel a bit better about it.
It still happens today at Gresty Road and will continue -because as soon as they reach a required standard they have to be sold on.
I dont know what you can do about it.
If they were any good would they be playing for Grimbo?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 490 - 556
jamesgtfc
February 11, 2024, 2:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Been thinking about this for a bit, under Buckley we possibly played the best football in the clubs post war history for a sustained period.

I can’t remember 2 CHs stood on the edge of the 6 yard box at goal kicks waiting for the keeper to tip tap it about with them.

Playing out I get “IF” you have the talent to do it, but why must it be so contrived. It’s almost like the new set piece.

In all 3 Buckley spells, the rules at goal kicks were different to the rule we have today. The ball had to leave the 18 yard box so short goal kicks were even more susceptible to a press. It's a shame that Buckley isn't the expert summariser on RH anymore, I would love to know what he thinks of what Artell is serving up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 491 - 556
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 2:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from jamesgtfc

In all 3 Buckley spells, the rules at goal kicks were different to the rule we have today. The ball had to leave the 18 yard box so short goal kicks were even more susceptible to a press. It's a shame that Buckley isn't the expert summariser on RH anymore, I would love to know what he thinks of what Artell is serving up.

That’s a fair point, but I think my point was more about playing out being contrived and like a set piece.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 492 - 556
ginnywings
February 11, 2024, 2:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Playing out from the back didn't cost us yesterday. Just not being able to do the basics all over the pitch did for us.

That and Stockport just being better in every single position, and having better subs too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 493 - 556
DB
February 11, 2024, 3:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,052
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from ginnywings
Playing out from the back didn't cost us yesterday. Just not being able to do the basics all over the pitch did for us.

That and Stockport just being better in every single position, and having better subs too.

It was too similar to the Tranmere game, no effort, no inspiration, no leaders, no team spirit, no passion, etc.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 494 - 556
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 3:29pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,449
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from jamesgtfc

If I remember Buckley's third spell even he gave up playing the Grimsby Way and played a more pragmatic approach. The game has changed in many ways since the late 80s and 90s. Most teams played 4-4-2 and there was just 1 substitute. There have been rule changes, players are fitter, there are lots more substitutions and tactics have improved. Squads change much more rapidly as well.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 495 - 556
GollyGTFC
February 11, 2024, 7:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,054
Gold Stars: 358
Thursday just gone marked 20 years to the day since a humiliating 6-0 defeat at Oldham Athletic. Which of course means Friday just gone marked 20 years to the day since Paul Groves was sacked as Grimsby Town manager.

I bring it up as Groves' "permenant" successor (albeit on a contract to the end of the season) would be Nicky Law. His spell as Town manager has gone down in infamy and he's widely regarded as the worst manager in the club's history.

Nicky Law managed just 12 league games as Grimsby manager. His record was as follows...

Played 12
Won 3 (25%)
Drew 2
Lost 7
GD -10 (-0.833 per game)
Pts 11 (0.917 per game)

David Artell will have his 12th league game as Head Coach on Tuesday (if he isn't sacked tomorrow) and his record after 11 matches is...

Played 11
Won 2 (18%)
Drew 4
Lost 5
GD -7 (-0.636 per game)
Pts 10 (0.909 per game)

That is the level of failure we are dealing with.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 496 - 556
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 7:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Thursday just gone marked 20 years to the day since a humiliating 6-0 defeat at Oldham Athletic. Which of course means Friday just gone marked 20 years to the day since Paul Groves was sacked as Grimsby Town manager.

I bring it up as Groves' "permenant" successor (albeit on a contract to the end of the season) would be Nicky Law. His spell as Town manager has gone down in infamy and he's widely regarded as the worst manager in the club's history.

Nicky Law managed just 12 league games as Grimsby manager. His record was as follows...

Played 12
Won 3 (25%)
Drew 2
Lost 7
GD -10 (-0.833 per game)
Pts 11 (0.917 per game)

David Artell will have his 12th league game as Head Coach on Tuesday (if he isn't sacked tomorrow) and his record after 11 matches is...

Played 11
Won 2 (18%)
Drew 4
Lost 5
GD -7 (-0.636 per game)
Pts 10 (0.909 per game)

Bloody Hell 😬

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 497 - 556
jamesgtfc
February 11, 2024, 8:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Played 12
Won 3 (25%)
Drew 2
Lost 7
GD -10 (-0.833 per game)
Pts 11 (0.917 per game)

Played 11
Won 2 (18%)
Drew 4
Lost 5
GD -7 (-0.636 per game)
Pts 10 (0.909 per game)

I would love it if RH put that statistic to him after the game on Tuesday if we don't win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 498 - 556
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 8:18pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,449
Gold Stars: 114
So his 13th game is against Doncaster who saw off his predecessor? Not auspicious omens...

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 499 - 556
56 Pages Prev ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.