Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell Out  (triple merged)

This thread currently has 47,512 views. Print
56 Pages Prev ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... Next All Recommend Thread
denni266
February 10, 2024, 5:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +697
Gold Stars: 132
This thing Artell keeps saying ...its gonna take time is only to cover his back . The only thing he has done is take us backward  and very quickley . Oldsaying is if you keep doing te same things  you will get the same results more often than not
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 410 - 556
davmariner
February 10, 2024, 5:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,962
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from GrimRob
Pretty sure we'd have more points on the board had we kept Hurst. I thought it was the right decision at the time to sack him but the route we have gone down is the road to ruin. We don't have the players and frankly probably can't afford them to play the expansive style they have been asked to. Even more bonkers when we are in the middle of a relegation battle to embark on this path. The bottom two through pure luck keep losing. Artell if he doesn't relegate us this season will relegate us next one. Should cut our losses now and play to our strengths. Stop fannying around with short passes in our own defensive third.

Excellent post.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 411 - 556
trickeymickey
February 10, 2024, 5:46pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 12
I follow Grimsbys fortunes because I worked over there for some time. I was an Alex supporter but am too old to drive over there now and follow both from my armchair.
I said on another thread on here that if you have appointed Artell expecting to build a Crewe type of operating system - mainly Academy youth and coached on non league players then you need patience.
You have to "Go with what weve got" to quote the Alex mantra.  That takes around 6 years before it gets any return.
Also, Artell does not have an Academy pedigree.  The "System" was in place long before he joined as a player even.  It operates despite not because of the Academy Manager.
As Manager of the football club he receives lads who progress through the system and thats what he is used to.  When they are not yet ready and dont arrive - guess what?  Just look at Crewe's history.
The worst season for a very long time for Crewe was what got him laid off.  Not enough talented youngsters coming through that year and appalling recruitment.
I wish I knew what to say you should do but I dont know.
Do you put up with things and hope you can avoid the drop - there is a gap but is it big enough?  Stockport are the top team after all.
If you bullet him what happens?  Who do you get in?  Are they going to be able to stop the rot?

I hope that you scrape through by the skin of your teeth and that you have enough recruitment talent there to pull away from the bottom next year.

Meanwhile, the Alex are doing OK -...............but there are contracts coming to an end and nobody pays less than the Alex.  So next season....... is it our turn in the barrel?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 412 - 556
Madeleymariner
February 10, 2024, 5:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
What is Artell currently blithering on about
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 413 - 556
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 6:20pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from trickeymickey
I follow Grimsbys fortunes because I worked over there for some time. I was an Alex supporter but am too old to drive over there now and follow both from my armchair.
I said on another thread on here that if you have appointed Artell expecting to build a Crewe type of operating system - mainly Academy youth and coached on non league players then you need patience.
You have to "Go with what weve got" to quote the Alex mantra.  That takes around 6 years before it gets any return.
Also, Artell does not have an Academy pedigree.  The "System" was in place long before he joined as a player even.  It operates despite not because of the Academy Manager.
As Manager of the football club he receives lads who progress through the system and thats what he is used to.  When they are not yet ready and dont arrive - guess what?  Just look at Crewe's history.
The worst season for a very long time for Crewe was what got him laid off.  Not enough talented youngsters coming through that year and appalling recruitment.
I wish I knew what to say you should do but I dont know.
Do you put up with things and hope you can avoid the drop - there is a gap but is it big enough?  Stockport are the top team after all.
If you bullet him what happens?  Who do you get in?  Are they going to be able to stop the rot?

I hope that you scrape through by the skin of your teeth and that you have enough recruitment talent there to pull away from the bottom next year.

Meanwhile, the Alex are doing OK -...............but there are contracts coming to an end and nobody pays less than the Alex.  So next season....... is it our turn in the barrel?

Thank you for your insights Mickey. A lot to think about. I'm not sure we've got that length of time to sort out a side. Hurst was always a man that could bring a ragtag group together, but I don't quite belive Artell can do the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 414 - 556
wuffing
February 10, 2024, 6:39pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 40
Is Allardyce available?

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 415 - 556
friskneymariner
February 10, 2024, 6:50pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,154
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Plankton
The owners really need to take accountability on this one. They were gifted a promoted team, a huge swell of fan buy in, sold out shirts, merchandise flying out the club shop, season tickets at an all-time-high, albeit with a dilapidated stadium and very few facilities, and they deliver the fans this.

At last scales falling from peoples eyes we were so relieved at getting rid of Fenty nobody saw the danger signs . Artel was very shrewd and told Stockwood what he wanted to hear,and he fell for it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 416 - 556
exiledmeggie
February 10, 2024, 6:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -209
Gold Stars: 19
When do we form up at the bus shelter on Isaac’s Hill, lighting the torches and flying the banners, to march down Grimsby Rd. and insist that we at least …

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 417 - 556
GrimRob
February 10, 2024, 7:43pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,448
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from friskneymariner

At last scales falling from peoples eyes we were so relieved at getting rid of Fenty nobody saw the danger signs . Artel was very shrewd and told Stockwood what he wanted to hear,and he fell for it.

I think it's deeper than that. He really believes in this way of playing. He was our first choice, we may have spent ages appointing him but we approached him as the owners specifically wanted to play this way. It was a requirement of working here, on the job spec, and he was a devotee of it, we literally hand picked him. So for him to be sacked it effectively means the owners abandoning their philosophy and returning to more "industrial" football. It would be quite a volte-face.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 418 - 556
jamesgtfc
February 10, 2024, 7:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GrimRob

I think it's deeper than that. He really believes in this way of playing. He was our first choice, we may have spent ages appointing him but we approached him as the owners specifically wanted to play this way. It was a requirement of working here, on the job spec, and he was a devotee of it, we literally hand picked him. So for him to be sacked it effectively means the owners abandoning their philosophy and returning to more "industrial" football. It would be quite a volte-face.

Back to the National League we go then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 419 - 556
56 Pages Prev ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.