Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To All Who Think Paul Hurst Should Go
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

To All Who Think Paul Hurst Should Go

This thread currently has 25,918 views. Print
32 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
September 17, 2023, 12:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,317
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Two of those (Cambridge and Morcambe) were in the freak COVID season.

We’ve punched above our (budget) weight with Hurst since relegation. The anti-Hurst posts on Facebook are ridiculous. I think we are a couple of quality players short of serious contenders but we haven’t seen what Donovan Wilson can do yet.

I think that's debatable - in the promotion season we probably finished about the position of our budget , last season we maybe overchieved by a few positions mainly with the good run at the end of the season .

I don't understand anyone that is 'anti Hurst ' though,in that they seem to actively want him out ,which is frankly bizarre given what he has achieved whether that's partly down to luck , managerial ability or a combination of both is irrelevant - he got us out of the national league at the first attempt , stabilised in the first season back alongside a great cup run and we have not started badly .

Do I think Hurst is a great manager ? No ,but if he was (much like players ) he would not be here would he .
Is he a bad manager ? No

He's a consistent one , who has a pragmatic style that gives you great 'moments' in a season but never sustained periods of dominance or attacking free flowing football ; does that bother me ? Not really

I like the stability , we know what we are getting ; my reluctance to call for his head, even through the couple of tough spells  is partly down to how we have been burnt in the past with a load of volatile destabalising managers .

Yeah you might get lucky with one , but our history at least in the last 20 years shows we have got a lot more wrong than right .

I think sometimes it's a case of be careful what you wish for .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 312
A.l.f.
September 17, 2023, 12:46pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from realist
So all you lot are happy with the negative defensive football at home?

I go to be entertained, Hurst is incapable of providing me with that

In our last home match I was entertained.  We all want to see more goalmouth action, but given our attacking injuries, especially yesterday, I’m happy to see how we develop as a team.  We are better quality than last year and there is no need for anyone to throw their toys out of the Pram.
We all need to get behind the team - it will come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 312
lee65
September 17, 2023, 1:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
Listening to PH post game, whatever your views on his tenure, it seemed that the injuries to Rose and Elisa came late in the day, so not too much chance to work on plan B.

I’m slightly more worried about our ability to benefit fully from the “easier” games coming up, as we don’t often manage that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 312
sonofmadeleymariner
September 17, 2023, 1:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from lee65
Listening to PH post game, whatever your views on his tenure, it seemed that the injuries to Rose and Elisa came late in the day, so not too much chance to work on plan B.

I’m slightly more worried about our ability to benefit fully from the “easier” games coming up, as we don’t often manage that

What do you mean not having much chance to come up with a plan B? We should be going into every game with more than just plan A. So when things like this happen we can make changes straight away and the transition is clean and easy

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 312
Limerick Mariner
September 17, 2023, 1:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Mappers

I think that's debatable - in the promotion season we probably finished about the position of our budget , last season we maybe overchieved by a few positions mainly with the good run at the end of the season .

I don't understand anyone that is 'anti Hurst ' though,in that they seem to actively want him out ,which is frankly bizarre given what he has achieved whether that's partly down to luck , managerial ability or a combination of both is irrelevant - he got us out of the national league at the first attempt , stabilised in the first season back alongside a great cup run and we have not started badly .

Do I think Hurst is a great manager ? No ,but if he was (much like players ) he would not be here would he .
Is he a bad manager ? No

He's a consistent one , who has a pragmatic style that gives you great 'moments' in a season but never sustained periods of dominance or attacking free flowing football ; does that bother me ? Not really

I like the stability , we know what we are getting ; my reluctance to call for his head, even through the couple of tough spells  is partly down to how we have been burnt in the past with a load of volatile destabalising managers .

Yeah you might get lucky with one , but our history at least in the last 20 years shows we have got a lot more wrong than right .

I think sometimes it's a case of be careful what you wish for .

Agree on the NL league position I was thinking more we knocked out two clubs with bigger budgets.

On the plan B point above, yes ideally we should have a plan B but my point, and I think others on here is as well, we don’t have the players for it. Let’s say Harry Smith, probably not on a lot at Sutton, with him leading the line, we could have had the plan B yesterday.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 312
Yoda
September 17, 2023, 2:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
I know they have a bigger budget than us but we never laid a glove 🥊 n them.
A poor weak performance all round
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 312
GrimPol
September 17, 2023, 2:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -666
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Agree on the NL league position I was thinking more we knocked out two clubs with bigger budgets.

On the plan B point above, yes ideally we should have a plan B but my point, and I think others on here is as well, we don’t have the players for it. Let’s say Harry Smith, probably not on a lot at Sutton, with him leading the line, we could have had the plan B yesterday.

Plan B is not necessarily about New/Better/Expensive players, its also about approach. In the 2nd half why didn't PH tell them, you are 2-0 down, they are playing well,  you best get nearer Wrexham, right inside their shorts. That's how we would have played Champ/Premier teams in the cup straight up. Up close and bother them. At 2-0 down, caution is one of the first things you dump.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 312
Yoda
September 17, 2023, 2:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Hurst is a mid table manger win one lose one keeps you up but never troubles the top two.
He plays not to lose never to win.
Anyway he’s a multi millionaire now so i imagine how’s not that bothered.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 312
Poojah
September 17, 2023, 2:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,538
Gold Stars: 1,500
I think some perspective is needed. Once we’ve played Swindon in a couple of weeks’ time we’ll have played the entire current top 6 in our first 10 games, plus Bradford and Salford who were fancied at the start of the season.

We knew it was a tough start at the beginning of the season, and I think it’s been even tougher in reality as some of the sides that may have looked easier opponents on paper have actually done very well thus far. October sees us play 3 of the current bottom 7; I think Halloween will be a good marker to make a fair and objective appraisal of the front third of the season.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 312
Northbank Mariner
September 17, 2023, 3:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171

That is complete and utter rubbish.

So why did a board member tell somebody then?...and that somebody is an old bloke who has pretty strong reputation within the club....
So shove your rubbish up your backside when I know its a fact...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 312
32 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To All Who Think Paul Hurst Should Go

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.