Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To All Who Think Paul Hurst Should Go
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

To All Who Think Paul Hurst Should Go

This thread currently has 26,159 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 22, 2023, 1:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

I get the sense that you think PH is more strict re: character than he probably is. I don't think he's probably that fussed if a player is "a bit of a lad" and has missed training a few times in the past. When he talks about this, he's probably just saying that he's checked with other people who hjave worked with the player before to try to make sure they are not a complete nightmare, and have a very disruptive effect on the squad if they are not getting a game etc.  

He shown in the past that he's willing to take a risk on such players, on a short term basis, and thank god they were short term. He's just not prepared to offer long contracts to anyone, if he knows from his contacts that have dealt with the player before that they are bad news. That's a good thing in my book.

I think you could be right there. I get the feeling that McAtee is a 'bit of a lad', but he was obviously willing to knuckle down and work hard for the team so Hurst has signed him more than once and both have done well from it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 312
lew chaterleys lover
September 22, 2023, 2:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mariner_09
I've only just looked at this thread because I thought it would just anger me.

I was right, the premise of the discussion is ridiculous, frankly it appals me that it's even a conversation that the manager should go.

Let's just sack him and go back to the Conference shall we?

Strong language I know but I don't think some "fans" know how good we've actually got it with Hursty at present.

Most are in support of the manager so I don't know how you come to that conclusion.  Discussions like this are had at all club forums up and down the country.

Hurst isn't perfect, nobody is but that doesn't mean fans won't discuss his pros and cons.
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 312
AncientExiledMariner
September 22, 2023, 2:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Character is related to training and following instructions as you say, but it's also how they operate on the pitch. How they respond to going 1-0 down. Do they go through the motions, or do they refuse to accept that, push harder and try and get an equaliser? When the team are winning 1-0, are they pushing for that second goal, or are they kind of happy the way things are.

If you have 1 player in an 11 fighting, it stands out, but often doesn't make the difference. If you have 5-6, it starts to set the tone for how the team respond to changing events on the field.

Hurst has said on many occasions he's repeatedly asked some players to do something, and they keep making the same mistake. He doesn't know whether they cannot do it, or won't. Obviously we don't know what that is, but it does mean that some players he cannot trust fully to execute instructions, and they could either be on the bench, or may have been released.

I think JMD was a great example of a player with bags of talent, but not quite doing what was asked of him.

The thing is, if you have a limited budget and cannot buy the best, you have to buy what you can afford and train players with high potential to reach their level. You're only going to create those diamonds with the right squad character. You cannot guarantee when it will happen, but you know for certain it won't unless you get the squad character right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 312
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
September 22, 2023, 4:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Paul Hurst is the ultimate sustainable mid table manager
I hope he stays forever

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 312
Mappers
September 22, 2023, 7:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,474
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from gtfc_chris

There is something enjoyable seeing the difficulties the top 6 face from time to time. I don't have a Prem team that I follow but I try to watch a bit of it when I can and currently I love what Brighton are doing.

I think with Ten Hag there are some parallels with PH and GTFC, obviously on a much different scale. Ten Hag clearly demands a certain standard of person as well as footballer and isn't afraid to make decisions despite popular opinion/backlash. Given the wages Uniteds players are on and the huge size of the club and staff, trying to change an entire culture and ethos won't happen overnight and you'll upset people on the way. But that's his job. If players on £150,000+ a week aren't happy being told by their boss that they could/should be working harder then in my book they aren't deserving of that level of earning and can get gone.

It's just Utd for me , I have always despised them .

The glory seeking in the 90's and early 2000's , I suppose it was the era I was most into footy and their followers were everywhere ; including at Town games - people would cheer at the half/full time announcement that they had won and it made me cringe ; when you were in the pub you would chat to their 'fans' who had never been to a game , and then say they don't go to town games because 'they are excrement ' and 'never win ; like the only reason you support a team is because they win .

When you said 'I support Grimsby' to a Utd fan their reply would be 'why do you support them ?'

Yeah , I still fuc#in hate Man U and hope they don't win the league until i'm in a box .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 312
Mendonca1995
September 23, 2023, 6:21pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
HURST OUT 👍

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 312
Jamgtfc
September 23, 2023, 6:48pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +0
Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 312
arryarryarry
September 23, 2023, 6:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
If he thought that we looked the more likely to win that game based on the second half then he is fooking deluded.
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 312
denni266
September 23, 2023, 7:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +697
Gold Stars: 132
Relegation form if ever i saw it . Hurst out He is a waste of a good wage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 312
Pontoon bill
September 23, 2023, 7:37pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +53
Gold Stars: 9
In my opinion, one thing that Hurst got wrong was not getting a very good goalkeeper in.Eastwood is decent but not good enough .good strikers earn you points but a good goalkeeper can often earn you more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 312
32 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To All Who Think Paul Hurst Should Go

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.