Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Women's World Cup 2023
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Women's World Cup 2023

This thread currently has 17,335 views. Print
25 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GYinScuntland
July 23, 2023, 9:25am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from thornemariner
I watched quite a few of the Women's Euros games in South Yorkshire last year and really enjoyed the games. I would love to see another tournament like that in person. Plenty of other Mariners there too.

I was following the French as well as England as France played their games largely at Rotherham where tickets were relatively easy to obtain.

The level of skill is rising in the game. I watch a fair bit of it locally.

Donny Belles play at my local side's ground and are charging only £19.69 for a season ticket to mark their forming in 1969. I'll have some of that. Just £1.70 a game and the game is just a brisk three mile walk after my Sunday lunch (ten minutes on the bus if raining).

How many season tickets can one man have Chris? 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 242
sonofmadeleymariner
July 23, 2023, 12:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from aldi_01
I think the continued comparisons, albeit usually done by media types or fans with nothing else to say don’t help the game at all.

Whilst the fundamentals are the same, the game isn’t. One has had over a 100 years to establish itself and in many places has obscene amounts of cash thrown at it, the other is still regarded as being in its infancy.

There’s clearly a double standard within the game and regardless of FIFAs alleged dedication to inclusion and equal opportunities etc, it’s clear they don’t really value the Women’s World Cup. Media companies certainly don’t, nor do Nike it would appear…

Personally, I haven’t seen any of it, for various reason but mainly because I’m not that interested, the same reasons I didn’t want the u21s tournament. Not because I’m some weird misogynist but because I haven’t. If the women’s game can get more girls and kids into football, that can only be a good thing.

I'm the same I just don't watch it because of a mix of, I'm generally not interested in women's sports as a whole anyway, but women's football doesn't help itself by pushing itself as this great game comparable to the men's when I can watch the same quality of football at a Highschool Under16s game or down the park watching some local Sunday League.

I saw on social media them making a big deal out of the Aussie games attendance being like 75,000 "people saying that no one cares about women's football", then the usual social media responses saying the same thing, where are they on a normal game day? When crowds in most cases barely make it into the 1000s

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 242
gtfc_chris
July 23, 2023, 7:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Through my daughters taking something of an interest in the game, we started to watch womens football as well as Grimsby games to try and show that it isn't simply a game for men. That has led to both of them being involved playing, one with a boys team and one in a girls team.

Having watched a bit of womens football, and going to the Womens FA Cup final in May, I think there is actually quite a lot of comparable similarity then it gets credit for. The tactical flow of a game is highly similar, and the technical proficiency is nearly the same at the highest level.

There are two things that will always separate the male/female game, one of which is blatantly obvious and doesn't need in depth analysis, the other is also fairly common sense but can be improved over a lot of time.

The first is the obvious physiological differences that exist. Of course there isn't a firm and definitive rule but in general men tend to be faster and stronger than women. At the highest level of any sport driven by physical qualities men will primarily come out on top owing in no fault to anyone other than genes. For that reason the speed of the game is unlikely to ever be as quick as the mens but everything else is approaching the same level and can very often be good to watch.

The other one is the depth of quality. You can go and watch Grimsby Borough or Clee Town and see something of a decent standard of football. Go down a bit beyond the top level of the womens game and I think the quality starts to deteriorate quite quickly. As more and more young girls start playing and continue into adulthood then this can and hopefully will see the standard improve within the whole pyramid of the womens game.

It's a persons own perspective whether they choose to watch it, that's everyone's right but I've personally quite enjoyed it whenever I've sat down to watch a game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 242
lukeo
July 23, 2023, 8:10pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,378
Gold Stars: 149
Gold star from me Chris.

I helped run the local ladies football team here for 3-4 games whilst they looked for a permanent manager. Loved every minute of it. Standard wasn't great but the banter was better than local mens football in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 242
TAGG
July 23, 2023, 10:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,948
Gold Stars: 126
Would shut the curtains if they were playing in my backyard.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 242
Captain Sensible
July 23, 2023, 10:45pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5

I'm the same I just don't watch it because of a mix of, I'm generally not interested in women's sports as a whole anyway, but women's football doesn't help itself by pushing itself as this great game comparable to the men's when I can watch the same quality of football at a Highschool Under16s game or down the park watching some local Sunday League.

I saw on social media them making a big deal out of the Aussie games attendance being like 75,000 "people saying that no one cares about women's football", then the usual social media responses saying the same thing, where are they on a normal game day? When crowds in most cases barely make it into the 1000s

How can you know that if you don't watch it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 242
rancido
July 24, 2023, 7:39am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from gtfc_chris
Through my daughters taking something of an interest in the game, we started to watch womens football as well as Grimsby games to try and show that it isn't simply a game for men. That has led to both of them being involved playing, one with a boys team and one in a girls team.

Having watched a bit of womens football, and going to the Womens FA Cup final in May, I think there is actually quite a lot of comparable similarity then it gets credit for. The tactical flow of a game is highly similar, and the technical proficiency is nearly the same at the highest level.

There are two things that will always separate the male/female game, one of which is blatantly obvious and doesn't need in depth analysis, the other is also fairly common sense but can be improved over a lot of time.

The first is the obvious physiological differences that exist. Of course there isn't a firm and definitive rule but in general men tend to be faster and stronger than women. At the highest level of any sport driven by physical qualities men will primarily come out on top owing in no fault to anyone other than genes. For that reason the speed of the game is unlikely to ever be as quick as the mens but everything else is approaching the same level and can very often be good to watch.

The other one is the depth of quality. You can go and watch Grimsby Borough or Clee Town and see something of a decent standard of football. Go down a bit beyond the top level of the womens game and I think the quality starts to deteriorate quite quickly. As more and more young girls start playing and continue into adulthood then this can and hopefully will see the standard improve within the whole pyramid of the womens game.

It's a persons own perspective whether they choose to watch it, that's everyone's right but I've personally quite enjoyed it whenever I've sat down to watch a game.

Excellent post and sums up the situation. My grandchildren live in Florida and girls at school in USA are introduced to football ( or soccer as they call it) very early - 7 or 8 years old. As a consequence it is well structured and organised. This is one of the reason why the USA womens team is so good.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 242
Maringer
July 24, 2023, 8:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,564
Gold Stars: 185
In the UK, we're notoriously lacking in people with coaching qualifications (for both boys and girls) in comparison to most developed countries. The Yanks are really, really keen on the organisational side of things and have plenty of qualified coaches. Of course, some of it is to do with money as well. It tends to be a sport played by kids from wealthier families over there and there are lots of paid soccer camps and the like.

I know there has been some headway made in trying to get more qualified coaches over here, but the numbers still pale in comparison to the likes of the US, Germany, etc etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 242
aldi_01
July 25, 2023, 6:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Maringer
In the UK, we're notoriously lacking in people with coaching qualifications (for both boys and girls) in comparison to most developed countries. The Yanks are really, really keen on the organisational side of things and have plenty of qualified coaches. Of course, some of it is to do with money as well. It tends to be a sport played by kids from wealthier families over there and there are lots of paid soccer camps and the like.

I know there has been some headway made in trying to get more qualified coaches over here, but the numbers still pale in comparison to the likes of the US, Germany, etc etc.

Coaching qualifications are interesting discussion point.

Aside from the basic ones, the cost for those more in depth qualifications increases dramatically and I’m sure it wasn’t so long ago that they were more expensive to do in the UK than anywhere else.

There’s also the old boys network too. Plenty of people could and would pass the UEFA A and B licenses for instance but getting it the pro game, even women’s, is notoriously difficult so factor in costs and you can see why we have so few.

Once there is a level of parity between the men’s and women’s game, then you’re more likely to see an increase in quality, greater infrastructure and likely a more concrete system.

Women’s football, it could be argued, is still in its infancy. If it’s still the same in 100 years then perhaps questions can be asked but right now it’s unfair, and besides, I’m not sure the corrupt, corporate greedy, tax evading sportwashing we’re seeing in the men’s game men’s it should be placed upon a pedestal.

I think we also need to move away from the idea that just because someone doesn’t watch it must mean they’re against it or bigoted or whatever. It’s not helpful, sometimes we have to accept that just because someone likes one version of something, they’ll instantly like them all…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 242
lukeo
July 25, 2023, 12:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,378
Gold Stars: 149
I looked at doing my badges and working my way up but it is very expensive and the timings of courses do not allow you to work a normal job alongside working towards that next level of coaching (football I'm specifically talking about) I ended up jacking it all in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 242
25 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Women's World Cup 2023

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.