Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Women's World Cup 2023
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Women's World Cup 2023

This thread currently has 17,311 views. Print
25 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
July 22, 2023, 12:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from codcheeky

Think the days of regular thumping for teams have passed, the quality for every team has increased considerably,

You can’t have watched the Zambia game then, they’re atrocious. Overall, the quality is still very low.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 242
It Bites
July 22, 2023, 12:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
Gold Stars: 265
I watched the England game and the standard isn't great tbh but as a stand alone event it's quite entertaining. It's a bit like watching an England C mens world cup I'd guess ?
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 242
It Bites
July 22, 2023, 12:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
Gold Stars: 265
flipping hell ... The ref blew early , realised her error , re started the game and blew 5 seconds later .... That's just poor in a world cup
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 242
TownSNAFU5
July 22, 2023, 12:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
3 points and will get better.  Haiti have pace, skill and considerable threat on breakaway attacks.  Should have scored late on to make it 1-1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 242
Azimuth
July 22, 2023, 2:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
[quote=259]The angry gammons are out in force with their red crosses on this thread!

Looking forward to seeing how our Lionesses fair after the euros. Would be nice to knock the yanks off their perch![/quote]

Explain please?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 242
MarinerMal
July 22, 2023, 8:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from rancido
Sadly this kind of thread brings out the views from some individuals who don't like or resent the Intrusion of women into bastions of male dominated sports. They seem to think it's ok for women to participate in "traditional" female sports like hockey, netball and to some degree tennis. Once you mention women in traditional male dominated sports, like football, rugby and cricket it becomes " inferior" or not for them. The standards and way it is played should be judged by how it is, without any comparisons to the male version.

Utter nonsense. It is the women's game that tries to compare itself to the men's not the other way around. (see the Orange ad posted earlier).

I agree it shouldn't be compared. They are two different sports. Enjoying both or one or the other should be fine without comments like "Sadly this kind of thread brings out the views from some individuals who don't like or resent the Intrusion of women into bastions of male dominated sports. They seem to think it's ok for women to participate in "traditional" female sports like hockey, netball and to some degree tennis."

I don't think I've read one comment on this thread saying women shouldn't be allowed to play football or any sport. However, you back up my point that if you don't watch women's football you are somehow misogynistic.

If you enjoy watching the Women's World Cup then great. Comment on it as you would any football match "England didn't play well but got the win", "Good first win for England" etc. There is no need to add comments about how men who don't watch it are against women's sport. I don't see how such comments further the support for the women's game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 242
Azimuth
July 22, 2023, 10:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from Azimuth
[quote=259]The angry gammons are out in force with their red crosses on this thread!

Looking forward to seeing how our Lionesses fair after the euros. Would be nice to knock the yanks off their perch!

Explain please?[/quote]

I am frankly astounded that a request for an explantion into "angry gammons" has recieved so many red crosses but no explanation, I ask again, a simple explantion to the following questions.

What is a angry Gammon?
Why would a "Gammon" be so angry about this thread?
Are you suggesting that "Angry Gammons" dont like or are against the Womens world cup?
If you are making a political point with your Gammon comment at least back it up with some factsI mean surely there are sexists from all sides of the political spectrum just as there are Racists and other narrow minded individuals.

If you are making a statment please at least back it up with some facts!
The very word "Gammon" used in certain context can be seen as devisive, racist or hate speech.

The red crosses to this post will probably say more about you than you care to admit.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 242
ginnywings
July 23, 2023, 12:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Azimuth

Explain please?

I am frankly astounded that a request for an explantion into "angry gammons" has recieved so many red crosses but no explanation, I ask again, a simple explantion to the following questions.

What is a angry Gammon?
Why would a "Gammon" be so angry about this thread?
Are you suggesting that "Angry Gammons" dont like or are against the Womens world cup?
If you are making a political point with your Gammon comment at least back it up with some factsI mean surely there are sexists from all sides of the political spectrum just as there are Racists and other narrow minded individuals.

If you are making a statment please at least back it up with some facts!
The very word "Gammon" used in certain context can be seen as devisive, racist or hate speech.

The red crosses to this post will probably say more about you than you care to admit.

[/quote]

Gammon simply means red faced, which is what angry people are said to display.

Care to name the context you refer to that makes it racist or hate speech?

I'm intrigued.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 242
rancido
July 23, 2023, 7:38am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MarinerMal

Utter nonsense. It is the women's game that tries to compare itself to the men's not the other way around. (see the Orange ad posted earlier).

I agree it shouldn't be compared. They are two different sports. Enjoying both or one or the other should be fine without comments like "Sadly this kind of thread brings out the views from some individuals who don't like or resent the Intrusion of women into bastions of male dominated sports. They seem to think it's ok for women to participate in "traditional" female sports like hockey, netball and to some degree tennis."

I don't think I've read one comment on this thread saying women shouldn't be allowed to play football or any sport. However, you back up my point that if you don't watch women's football you are somehow misogynistic.

If you enjoy watching the Women's World Cup then great. Comment on it as you would any football match "England didn't play well but got the win", "Good first win for England" etc. There is no need to add comments about how men who don't watch it are against women's sport. I don't see how such comments further the support for the women's game.

If you look at my post I never said men don't want women to participate, merely that ' some individuals' resent it's intrusion into traditional male sports.
There have been many posts on this site, when women's football is mentioned, that have called it inferior, poor quality and not worth watching. That surely must be a comparison to the men's game?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 242
aldi_01
July 23, 2023, 8:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think the continued comparisons, albeit usually done by media types or fans with nothing else to say don’t help the game at all.

Whilst the fundamentals are the same, the game isn’t. One has had over a 100 years to establish itself and in many places has obscene amounts of cash thrown at it, the other is still regarded as being in its infancy.

There’s clearly a double standard within the game and regardless of FIFAs alleged dedication to inclusion and equal opportunities etc, it’s clear they don’t really value the Women’s World Cup. Media companies certainly don’t, nor do Nike it would appear…

Personally, I haven’t seen any of it, for various reason but mainly because I’m not that interested, the same reasons I didn’t want the u21s tournament. Not because I’m some weird misogynist but because I haven’t. If the women’s game can get more girls and kids into football, that can only be a good thing.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 242
25 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Women's World Cup 2023

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.