Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Women's World Cup 2023
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Women's World Cup 2023

This thread currently has 17,315 views. Print
25 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc98
July 21, 2023, 6:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
The angry gammons are out in force with their red crosses on this thread!

Looking forward to seeing how our Lionesses fair after the euros. Would be nice to knock the yanks off their perch!

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 242
thornemariner
July 21, 2023, 8:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +662
Gold Stars: 22
I watched quite a few of the Women's Euros games in South Yorkshire last year and really enjoyed the games. I would love to see another tournament like that in person. Plenty of other Mariners there too.

I was following the French as well as England as France played their games largely at Rotherham where tickets were relatively easy to obtain.

The level of skill is rising in the game. I watch a fair bit of it locally.

Donny Belles play at my local side's ground and are charging only £19.69 for a season ticket to mark their forming in 1969. I'll have some of that. Just £1.70 a game and the game is just a brisk three mile walk after my Sunday lunch (ten minutes on the bus if raining).
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 242
MarinerMal
July 21, 2023, 8:46am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from kafunanapar140909

It's not telling you that women's football is as good as men's - it's not comparing women's football against men's football - it's showing that people are often prejudiced against the women's game simply because it is women who are playing it. I bet there were a load of sexist idiots who saw that clip on social media, were fooled into thinking they were watching Mbappé, Hazard et al., thought "hmm, decent goals" or similar, and then saw the reveal (then, depending on their level of prejudice, probably said "ugh, weren't that good goals anyway").

It's like when your average Joe Bloggs player scores a decent goal and the commentator notes that if it were Messi or Ronaldo who scored the same goal then everybody would be going crazy over it.

Of course it is comparing. By showing you men scoring goals only for it to be women in an attempt to tell you that you can't tell the difference between men and women at football. Well may be not in a single clip but you certainly can in a full game.

Again, I am not against women's football at all. I don't like this undertone of, if you don't watch women's football you are misogynistic.

Just because someone may not watch much if any of the women's world cup does not make them sexist or misogynistic. Women's football appeals to a different audience. I know people who won't take their children to men's game but will take them to a women's football match. That is fine and I get it. It just doesn't appeal to me and that should be fine too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 242
kafunanapar140909
July 21, 2023, 10:51am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from MarinerMal

Of course it is comparing. By showing you men scoring goals only for it to be women in an attempt to tell you that you can't tell the difference between men and women at football. Well may be not in a single clip but you certainly can in a full game.

Again, I am not against women's football at all. I don't like this undertone of, if you don't watch women's football you are misogynistic.

Just because someone may not watch much if any of the women's world cup does not make them sexist or misogynistic. Women's football appeals to a different audience. I know people who won't take their children to men's game but will take them to a women's football match. That is fine and I get it. It just doesn't appeal to me and that should be fine too.

Of course it’s fine if you don’t want to watch it! I don’t think anybody has suggested that if you don’t watch then you’re automatically a misogynist. That would be a childishly simple accusation to make. I can’t stand the show Queer Eye but that doesn’t make me homophobic – it’s not my cup of tea so I don’t watch it (you know, like how every piece of culture works).

What’s weird is that out of everything that’s out there for us to watch/engage with, women’s football seems to be the thing which people go out of their way to let the world know they’re not interested in, which I find weird.

I’ll prepare the **you don’t HAVE to read this thread if you’re not into women’s football**  and the **you are not automatically a misogynist if you don’t watch the WC** klaxons ready as we’ll probably need them over the next few weeks.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 242
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 21, 2023, 12:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,280
Gold Stars: 306

Of course it’s fine if you don’t want to watch it! I don’t think anybody has suggested that if you don’t watch then you’re automatically a misogynist. That would be a childishly simple accusation to make. I can’t stand the show Queer Eye but that doesn’t make me homophobic – it’s not my cup of tea so I don’t watch it (you know, like how every piece of culture works).

What’s weird is that out of everything that’s out there for us to watch/engage with, women’s football seems to be the thing which people go out of their way to let the world know they’re not interested in, which I find weird.

I’ll prepare the **you don’t HAVE to read this thread if you’re not into women’s football**  and the **you are not automatically a misogynist if you don’t watch the WC** klaxons ready as we’ll probably need them over the next few weeks.

For some their opinion of 'I don't like this' equates to 'therefore it is sh*t'. And 'I do like this' equates to 'therefore it is good'.

It is far more nuanced and requires deeper thinking to say 'I don't like this' but recognise that that does not make it sh*t and that people who do like it are not somehow inferior/stupid as a result.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 242
Bigdog
July 21, 2023, 1:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
The one thing that threads like this do is flush out the people that think they're morally and intellectually superior to the rest of us..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 242
Madeleymariner
July 21, 2023, 6:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Bigdog
The one thing that threads like this do is flush out the people that think they're morally and intellectually superior to the rest of us..

Well I am
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 242
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 21, 2023, 6:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 178

Now now

No need for handbags

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 242
It Bites
July 21, 2023, 7:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
Gold Stars: 265
One thing's for sure it will be more competitive than the U21 euro snooze fest
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 242
rancido
July 21, 2023, 8:09pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Sadly this kind of thread brings out the views from some individuals who don't like or resent the Intrusion of women into bastions of male dominated sports. They seem to think it's ok for women to participate in "traditional" female sports like hockey, netball and to some degree tennis. Once you mention women in traditional male dominated sports, like football, rugby and cricket it becomes " inferior" or not for them. The standards and way it is played should be judged by how it is, without any comparisons to the male version.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 242
25 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Women's World Cup 2023

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.