Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Women's World Cup 2023
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
1mickylyons, 99agrant, acko338, AdamHaddock, AdSense, AncientExiledMariner, AndyDarloFC, aussiej, AussieMariner, Balthazar Bullitt, bartgtfc, Bawmariner, bedders78, BeijingMariner, Belfast Town, benny1618, Big Jake, Bigboy, biggleswademariner, Bignic69, Bigwinn1975, BobbyCummingsTackle, Brazilnut, BruceytheFish, BulkyMariner, cannylad65, Captaincod, cardiffmariner, chelseacity, chipsandgravy, Chrisblor, Civvy at last, cjbill, CodHead, Craigy01, Crumbcrusader, crusty ole pie, Crystal, CSLM, DaleGTFC, Davec, davmariner, denni266, devs, Dick Johnson, Doctor Sanchez, drbell, Epworth Mariner, essexexile, EvilFish, FishOutOfWater, forza ivano, friskneymariner, Gainsbro_Mariner, GhostDan, Gilbertswand, Gill, gobby, GollyGTFC, Grant Baily, Grantley, grassbandits, GrimExile, GrimRob, Grimsby69, grimsbybrown, gtfc_chris, Gtfcalex, Gyranger.2, gytone, Hacksaw jimmy cook, Hagrid, HarrogateMariner, HertsGTFC, Heswall Mariner, HistonMariner, HoratiusEberlin, horsforthmariner, IlkleyMariner, immariner, ivanosandwich, Jackal, Jackie Lewis, jamesgtfc, jimgtfc, jonnyboy82, kafunanapar140909, kevikov, krispy84, Limerick Mariner, Lincspoacher, LivvosRomanNose, LocalLadGTFC, LondonMariner43, louth_in_the_south, lukeo, MaccasBoots, Madeleymariner, Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, Mappers, mariner chopper, Mariner John, Mariner Timsky, Mariner16, mariner91, Mariner93er, Mariner_501, Marinerdan, MarinerDevil, marinerjase, MarinerMal, MarinerRob, Mark GTFC, Matthew, Mayaman, Meza, Mighty_Mariner, mike502, Milky Bar Kid, mimma, Misterton Mariner, MNH1972, Morph2000, mr b, Neilo83, Nelly GTFC, nigelh, nomorefourfiveone, norfuk mariner, Northbank Mariner, NorthseaMariner, Northy81, out of town, OZMAN, PaceyMariner, Parkooo, paulmblythe, Peeler_Crab, percentagefootball, Phisch, pontoonlew, Poojah, Posh Harry, Quagmire, rancido, richiedk, RichMariner, Roast Em Bobby, Rob_in_Grimsby, Rodley Mariner, Running like emson, Ruston AT, sam gy, Saudimariner, ScottyUTM, scott, shaun the sheep, Sigone, skegmariner, smokin joe, Southwark Mariner, Spatchcock, Spidey, spikelias, SpiritOf98, SteffiMariner, stevieh, Stew0_0, Stranger in the Park, Sussexmariner, SWMariner, tanga_the_indestructible, Tavistock Mariner, Teesknees, The Dogs Testicles, thefish, Theimperialcoroner, thespiffing, thevera, tintowner, Tinymariner, Tom13, TonySmith, Total Hawsehole, Town Monkey, Townforlife, TownSNAFU5, TwoLeftFeet, UTMAdinfinitum, Vigo_Mariner, vinno69, WayneBurnettsJockstrap, Wedidntdidwe, Wemble1998, wembley_double98, WesternMariner, Withnail, wizbit, WLMariner, wormy, WOZOFGRIMSBY, wuffing, Zmariner and 1021 Guests

Women's World Cup 2023

This thread currently has 17,571 views. Print
25 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
Heisenberg
August 16, 2023, 9:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Azimuth

Oh dear!

It’s supposed to be a debate, not tenuous nitpicking!

Oh dear indeed. Anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 242
aldi_01
August 17, 2023, 8:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Heisenberg

“It”? Do you honestly see it as being “It”?! I mean, fair enough, but I don’t. Fair play to them, they can only beat what’s in front of them, but when you and I decided as children to dedicate our lives to football, ALL women would roll their eyes and dismiss football as being idiotic. Which is IS, I suppose!

Women’s football is not for me, it’s the wagon to jump on right now, but the girls winning this will in no way make up for the men’s team (‘England’, as they used to be called) not winning it.

“This” or “that” will never do it  for me, but good luck to them. I DO dread having to hear all the comparisons on Sunday afternoon when they win, though.

I know I’ll get near to 100% red crosses for this, but I’ve said it now.

I think the issue is that the moment you say you don’t watch it, you’re called sexist, misogynistic or whatever. It could just be that you don’t want to and has intercourse all to do with it being because women are playing. Does the same thing happen in tennis? Equine sports? I dunno?

I’ve not seen a thing of the World Cup, mainly because of work but also because I’m just not arsed, in the same way I don’t always watch Match of the Day, because I’m not arsed.

Personally, this obsession to compare women’s football to men’s football all the time is detrimental to the women’s game, men’s football has a hundred years and millions of pound of investment compared to the women’s game, of course it’s better. Much like the premier league being better than other top flight leagues.

I didn’t realise they’d gotten to the final until I saw an email offering me the chance to buy tickets. Fair play to them and I wish them well, I suspect they’ll go on to win it and I hope they do.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 242
kafunanapar140909
August 17, 2023, 8:45am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
We've not been at our best throughout the whole tournament, and we've had to scrap and battle through periods against good opposition. We have been clinical, though, and we've certainly shown the most bottle out of any team, imo. To put in that performance in front of 70-odd thousand Aussies at their own World Cup was pretty impressive.

Be interesting to see what part James plays in the final, now her ban is over. Personally I'd start with the same team and and have her on the bench.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 242
supertown
August 17, 2023, 9:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from kafunanapar140909
We've not been at our best throughout the whole tournament, and we've had to scrap and battle through periods against good opposition. We have been clinical, though, and we've certainly shown the most bottle out of any team, imo. To put in that performance in front of 70-odd thousand Aussies at their own World Cup was pretty impressive.

Be interesting to see what part James plays in the final, now her ban is over. Personally I'd start with the same team and and have her on the bench.

Not sure they would allow that 😬
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 242
rancido
August 17, 2023, 10:39am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,654
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from aldi_01

I think the issue is that the moment you say you don’t watch it, you’re called sexist, misogynistic or whatever. It could just be that you don’t want to and has intercourse all to do with it being because women are playing. Does the same thing happen in tennis? Equine sports? I dunno?

I’ve not seen a thing of the World Cup, mainly because of work but also because I’m just not arsed, in the same way I don’t always watch Match of the Day, because I’m not arsed.

Personally, this obsession to compare women’s football to men’s football all the time is detrimental to the women’s game, men’s football has a hundred years and millions of pound of investment compared to the women’s game, of course it’s better. Much like the premier league being better than other top flight leagues.

I didn’t realise they’d gotten to the final until I saw an email offering me the chance to buy tickets. Fair play to them and I wish them well, I suspect they’ll go on to win it and I hope they do.

The comparison to the mens game is sadly inevitable. It should be judged on its own merits. We actually judge mens football in a similar way when people compare Premiersh*t football to that played in the lower leagues. I've lost count of the number of Grimbarians who support Premiersh*t teams because in their words " town are sh*t". Every sport should be judged on its own merits regardless of gender participation or the level it is played at

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 242
Rick12
August 17, 2023, 10:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01

Personally, this obsession to compare women’s football to men’s football all the time is detrimental to the women’s game, men’s football has a hundred years and millions of pound of investment compared to the women’s game, of course it’s better..
Football in many ways is the modern day equivalent of tribes . We touched on this on a Sociology course . When man was first evolving one tribe often distinguished itself from  another via face paints . Football shirts are the modern day equivalent. Likewise man as evolution has occured often went to war for greed but also defense . As humanity progressed and started fighting less  sport became that substitute . Similarly on our psychology course there's the biological base as well. Men have more testosterone ( linked to increased aggression) and bodies on average tend to be stronger than women's who are built for childrearing. Having said that the onset of women's football is a good thing I think . The success of the women's football will hopefully inspire more females to take up sport and lead a healthier existence.  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 242
ginnywings
August 17, 2023, 12:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Rick12
Football in many ways is the modern day equivalent of tribes . We touched on this on a Sociology course . When man was first evolving one tribe often distinguished itself from  another via face paints . Football shirts are the modern day equivalent. Likewise man as evolution has occured often went to war for greed but also defense . As humanity progressed and started fighting less  sport became that substitute . Similarly on our psychology course there's the biological base as well. Men have more testosterone ( linked to increased aggression) and bodies on average tend to be stronger than women's who are built for childrearing. Having said that the onset of women's football is a good thing I think . The success of the women's football will hopefully inspire more females to take up sport and lead a healthier existence.  

A subject that is discussed in the book The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris, which I read about 40 years ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 242
Croxton
August 17, 2023, 1:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 34
Ross Clark writing in The Telegraph says that we shouldn't be given a Bank Holiday if the Lionesses win the Cup.

'You might as well give us a day off to celebrate Grimsby Town's two nil victory over Salford City on Tuesday'

Don't think he means to cause offence but............?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/17/englands-lionesses-dont-deserve-a-bank-holiday/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 242
Maringer
August 17, 2023, 1:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,673
Gold Stars: 189
If he doesn't mean to cause offence, why is he writing for the Telegraph?

(I don't think there should be a Bank Holiday due to any sporting success, incidentally, no more so than for Royal weddings, funerals and the like - though we should certainly have more regular, scheduled Bank Holidays).
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 242
MarinerWY
August 17, 2023, 1:58pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,991
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from Heisenberg

“It”? Do you honestly see it as being “It”?! I mean, fair enough, but I don’t. Fair play to them, they can only beat what’s in front of them, but when you and I decided as children to dedicate our lives to football, ALL women would roll their eyes and dismiss football as being idiotic. Which is IS, I suppose!

Women’s football is not for me, it’s the wagon to jump on right now, but the girls winning this will in no way make up for the men’s team (‘England’, as they used to be called) not winning it.

“This” or “that” will never do it  for me, but good luck to them. I DO dread having to hear all the comparisons on Sunday afternoon when they win, though.

I know I’ll get near to 100% red crosses for this, but I’ve said it now.

Yeah, the things is though, nobody cares if you don't like it - just don't watch it. There's no need to share with us all the fact that you personally don't like it. Every thread we've ever had on the Fishy about Women's football has people that absolutely must tell us that "it's just not the same for them" and "they've no interest".

I've no interest in Eastenders. So if I saw a thread called "Eastenders" I would ignore it and leave it to those who wanted to talk about that programme. I wouldn't go into the thread just to tell everyone that I absolutely do not like Eastenders.

This joke from Ricky Gervais springs to mind...

Quoted Text
I think the issue is that the moment you say you don’t watch it, you’re called sexist, misogynistic or whatever.

Are you? I'm not sure this actually happens. Maybe on Twitter, but not on here, and not at my workplace or in any situation I know. Some people watch it, some people don't. I'm genuinely not sure anyone cares that much about whether Bob from accounts has been watching Birmingham City but hasn't tuned into the Women's World Cup.

Going to use another comedian...

Private Message
Reply: 159 - 242
25 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Women's World Cup 2023

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.