Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Women's World Cup 2023
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Women's World Cup 2023

This thread currently has 17,560 views. Print
25 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
HoratiusEberlin
August 18, 2023, 2:19am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +216
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Heisenberg

Basically, women’s football is for people who don’t like and never have liked football, and that’s a big shame and unfair on the team.

And it’s for people who do like and have always liked football. Basically.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 242
aldi_01
August 18, 2023, 6:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from DaleH
Making comparisons between men's and women's football is a ridiculous thing to do. Yes it is the same sport, but the physical differences, the anatomical differences, and the pace of the game are just not comparable to men's football.

It is perfectly acceptable to recognise these differences in the game though, and if this means you have absolutely no interest in watching women's football because the differences doesn't deliver what you see in men's football, then that is fine. But lets make sure we are comparing apples with apples hey.

Someone's lack of interest in women's football does not in any way decry that women's football is still a sport, played by extremely talented professional footballers, and that it still delivers a highly entertaining spectacle for those that appreciate and enjoy it. So it becomes a bit grinding when some people are flippant and dismissive of women's football. It comes across as being a bit rude and disrespectful to those that are fans or players of women's football. Especially since the comparisons aren't being made by fans or players of women's football, and they are not claiming that the game is entirely the same as men's football.

If I was to pinpoint a bit of perspective, I would probably use the analogy of some fans of Premier League football being disrespectful towards the quality of the football being played by teams in lower league or non-league. I've heard it said "How on earth do you watch this football every week?" - Well yes there is a distinct and massive difference in quality between what is played in the Premier League compared to what we see at Blundell Park, but that doesn't mean that our level of football still isn't massively entertaining and enjoyable for those of us that choose to support a lower league club. And it certainly doesn't mean that our professional players are regarded as any less of a professional sports person, just because they play in EFL2.  Well the same goes for the women's teams and their professionals too.

England women are doing incredibly well. They are representing our country and they are doing a fine job of it too.

I don’t disagree with anything you said and I do want them to win.

Your comment about comparisons is exactly my point, you get those oddballs that watch town, some that don’t who insist on comparing our players to those of say City or Arsenal. It’s poles apart in truth, however, comparing town with Stockport makes sense, same league etc.

I’ve never had an interest or involvement with the women’s game but I’m sure those constant comparisons are a hindrance and frustrating, they probably feel patronising and to some degree, they harm the development. Eventually the women’s game will probably have a position in football that puts it on a level with probably league 1/2 but there’s still a way to go. Ironic though, to some degree that people moan about money and media involvement in men’s football but it’s creeping into the women’s game (I don’t disagree either) and suddenly the women’s national team has success…

This higher than mighty, holier than thou type attitude does nothing for either game though and does alienate the women’s game, in my view. It’s no different to when those boring rugby types bang on about how ‘gentlemanly’ their game is, and all that balderdash. Perhaps there isn’t as much gamesmanship in the women’s game but once larger sums of money creep in and a need to win increases because of bonuses and the likes, it’ll come…

There’s room for both codes and I really do hope they win…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 242
Rick12
August 18, 2023, 7:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01

Your comment about comparisons is exactly my point, you get those oddballs that watch town, some that don’t who insist on comparing our players to those of say City or Arsenal. It’s poles apart in truth, however, comparing town with Stockport makes sense, same league etc.

I dont like to call noone a oddball though Aldi. All relative as we all have our flaws.

You can still try to learn from others to try to improve your game or club. This is what the English FA done following disappointment with the national side and started coping the likes of the French and Spanish in having a main footballing centre which helped revitalise their respective national sides. Ive seen lads as well who are just as good if not better than say the likes of Harry Clifton and were wanted by Chelsea in the youth team but couldn't  take up the offer for personal reasons. Always think its a huge shame when these lads slip through the net and have done nothing  in professional football.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 242
kafunanapar140909
August 18, 2023, 9:00am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Heisenberg

And here his the problem; the lionesses SHOULD win this World Cup. They have the biggest budget (possibly behind the USA, I’m unsure….), the best domestic league, permanent use of the FA’s state of the art facilities at Burton - the likes of Australia and Nigeria don’t have anywhere near that set-up, whereas in the men’s game EVERY country is developed and competitive (no 20-0 wins against Latvia, for example)..

Good luck to them, but if they don’t win then there’s something wrong - they’ve been given a huge leg-up by the authorities.

I don’t think they “should” win the World Cup. They probably “should” reach the last 16, maybe last 8 of major tournaments, but after that there is a group of historically very strong teams. The USA, as you mentioned, but also the likes of France, Canada, Netherlands, Germany, Japan. What this World Cup has shown is that the rest of the world has closed the gap on that top group of teams. There are nowhere near as many complete blowouts at this tournament compared to normal.

Also, why is it “impossible” for the men’s team to win the World Cup? By the logic of your own argument, surely the England men’s team “should” be winning every major tournament as the Premier League is lightyears ahead of any other domestic league, financially. Obviously it’s not that simple.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 242
SteffiMariner
August 18, 2023, 9:40am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Heisenberg

I agree with you of course (Hodgkinson is a star, by the way…) but I think it’s the “the girls can do it, why can’t the boys?“ that annoys me. When the men get to a major finals, it is tough because nearly every team is tough opposition. Aldi mentioned it - the men’s game has a 100 year headstart on the women’s. For England to win the men’s World Cup is pretty much an impossibility nowadays.

And here his the problem; the lionesses SHOULD win this World Cup. They have the biggest budget (possibly behind the USA, I’m unsure….), the best domestic league, permanent use of the FA’s state of the art facilities at Burton - the likes of Australia and Nigeria don’t have anywhere near that set-up, whereas in the men’s game EVERY country is developed and competitive (no 20-0 wins against Latvia, for example)..

Good luck to them, but if they don’t win then there’s something wrong - they’ve been given a huge leg-up by the authorities.

Slagging off the men’s game for not winning trophies will alienate the women’s game. The lionesses themselves do not do that (they idolise the men’s team) but the general public and press can’t wait to stick the knife into the blokes.

Basically, women’s football is for people who don’t like and never have liked football, and that’s a big shame and unfair on the team.

Hang on, so both the men's and women's game have access to the same facilities, the women therefore must win or something is wrong (your words). You then say "slagging off the mens game for not winning trophies" - yet you are already doing a pre-emptive slagging off of the womens team if they don't win. The men's team has had a huge leg up for years - we are the richest FA in the world, we should be winning things by your argument. When the men's team had the massive leg up 100 years ago, we still didn't win anything, so your argument is a bit poor in my eyes.

The last line is obvious rage bait. Women's football is for people who like football. As people are raised more on different elements, then it becomes more widespread and popular. There was little women's football available a few years ago, now that it is being shown widely, giving access to all, people are beginning to appreciate the sport more. The women's game is different to the men's game - is it the same standard as the men's game? No. Though people go and watch Scunthorpe United and that isn't the same level as the Premier League; hell, it's not even the same level as the National League. Just because something, in your eyers, isn't as good as the level you pereceive to be correct, it doesn't mean it isn't entertaining. And that is what football, and sport is all about. Entertainment. And if you watched the matches as a football fan, I think you would be entertained, though you need to get the chip off your shoulder that women's football = bad football.

I enjoy watching football, I watch whatever team is on Sky, BT or any other channel that I have access to, no matter who is playing. I'll end up watching Nottingham Forest v Sheffield United tonight. Do I have any interest in either team winning? Not at all. Though I'll still watch as I like the entertainment, just like the women's game gives me.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 242
diehardmariner
August 18, 2023, 9:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
I thought Paddy Power summed it up nicely to be honest.

Tweet 1691737156790743207 will appear here...

Good luck to the Lionesses on Sunday.  I've barely watched any of the games, I won't pretend that I know half the players but I'll be cheering them on.  Much like how over half the country scream at their TV every other summer and will join in with conversations of 'Will Beckham/Gerrard/Rooney/Kane be fit? despite probably not knowing what colour England play in.
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 242
lukeo
August 18, 2023, 10:08am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
I've watch a handful of England ladies games. Most of the time it's actually enjoyable to watch in my opinion. I'm looking forward to Sundays game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 242
BobbyCummingsTackle
August 18, 2023, 12:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
I've had a quiet week this week so watched a lot of football on the box: Barca v Getafe, 2 European qualifying ties involving Scottish teams and even part of a Welsh league match (which was f**king awful) and the world cup semi.

The England v Australia game was the most entertaining game by some way.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 242
Yossarian
August 18, 2023, 9:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,095
Gold Stars: 18
This world cup has been brilliant - as was the Euros - The PaddyPower advert above (I cant believe I'm typing this) was a perfect response.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 242
Norseman
August 19, 2023, 12:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from LH
To the older ones who were young adults when England won the World Cup in 66: what was the hangover like?

Not like it would be now cos pubs were not open all day ,blokes drank mild and bitter and didn't have the disposable income of today to spend on booze
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 242
25 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Women's World Cup 2023

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.