Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 21, 2023, 6:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Our top brass decide it’s not important enough to attend. The Spanish president clearly thought otherwise and even snogged the Spanish captain after…

I suppose it’s a small mercy that it wasn’t the Spanish captain he went all Pier 39 last dance with.

https://amp.theguardian.com/fo.....-after-final-england

Now that really would have been poor taste.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 230 - 242
rancido
August 21, 2023, 6:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Rick12
It's nice though Ginny that womens sport is advancing be it in football,tennis or boxing. I note for one tennis especially has made great strides in terms of dealing with sexist attitudes from yesteryear with Billie Jean King and a few others being trailblazers to the point now where equal pay is given in the major tennis opens as your most likely aware.

If the male dominated English  FA hadn't banned women from playing professional football in FA affiliated facilities back in 1921 then it's quite possible that the women's football structure and level would be much higher now.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 231 - 242
Heisenberg
August 21, 2023, 7:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,070
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
Last Season - according to Statista Research;
WPL; 6961.
MPL: Man U. 73k.down to 32.5K.Leicester.
Coupled with the sponsorship & other vast income in the mens game - the sums don't currently add up for equal pay for women .
Simples.
Enjoyed the Women's World Cup.

I think it’s more to do with the game fees given by the FA for playing for England. I have no issue with them being the same, but be careful what you wish for as the men’s team donate theirs to charity……

Interesting what Infantino said though - it’s been a successful tournament as it’s broken even. Says a lot really. I got offered tickets to the women’s final by an official email from the FA and they were probably £30 or something. Obviously I didn’t take it up, but if it was the men’s team I’d pay a grand and get on a plane faster than you can imagine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 232 - 242
Rick12
August 21, 2023, 9:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from rancido

If the male dominated English  FA hadn't banned women from playing professional football in FA affiliated facilities back in 1921 then it's quite possible that the women's football structure and level would be much higher now.
There was a piece on women's football today on the BBC news at 6. Just as recent as 20 years ago no fan fare or cameras to meet the England ladies coming back from the world cup and in 1995 the England women were given men's football shirts which were too big. Now things have improved immeasurably in the women's game and Iam glad .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 233 - 242
rancido
August 21, 2023, 9:28pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Rick12
There was a piece on women's football today on the BBC news at 6. Just as recent as 20 years ago no fan fare or cameras to meet the England ladies coming back from the world cup and in 1995 the England women were given men's football shirts which were too big. Now things have improved immeasurably in the women's game and Iam glad .

Nike also refused to sell replica Mary Earps shirts because they were concerned they might not make enough profit from them! Amazingly Nike previously paid a considerable sum of money to trans woman Dylan Mulvaney - a TikTok influencer  with no sporting expertise - to advertise sports bras.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 234 - 242
diehardmariner
August 22, 2023, 9:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I think Karen Carney is missing the point...

Tweet 1693744576245182657 will appear here...

You can't force increased funding on any aspect of the game.  It's not the responsibility of any business or brand to grow a sport. That's the role of the governing body.  As it stands, it's mens football that has more eyes on it and therefore generates more income through TV deals, sponsorship etc. etc.  That's come as a result of clever marketing from the Premier League and Sky, regardless of how much we might hate them as organisations and businesses, they've done very, very well for the top level of the game.  

From what I can see the WPL are doing a decent job of building their brand, getting better promotion of it and more eyes on it (massively helped by the success of the national team).  They've got both national and international TV deals and you would think as the success of the league grows then the revenue from that will increase.  As will sponsorship with more eyes and interest on it.

I really hope the Women's game flourishes.  I think sport is just great in general.  Be it watching, participating or just having a general interest. For too long there has been an attitude that it's just for men/boys, thankfully that's stopping.  But trying to force things like Carney is advocating for will do more damage than good.  Accept the challenge that the men have got more income and eyes on it, set about making your product that good so you take away eyes and with it income.  
Private Message
Reply: 235 - 242
aldi_01
August 24, 2023, 7:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from diehardmariner

You can't force increased funding on any aspect of the game.  It's not the responsibility of any business or brand to grow a sport. That's the role of the governing body.  As it stands, it's mens football that has more eyes on it and therefore generates more income through TV deals, sponsorship etc. etc.  That's come as a result of clever marketing from the Premier League and Sky, regardless of how much we might hate them as organisations and businesses, they've done very, very well for the top level of the game.  

From what I can see the WPL are doing a decent job of building their brand, getting better promotion of it and more eyes on it (massively helped by the success of the national team).  They've got both national and international TV deals and you would think as the success of the league grows then the revenue from that will increase.  As will sponsorship with more eyes and interest on it.

I really hope the Women's game flourishes.  I think sport is just great in general.  Be it watching, participating or just having a general interest. For too long there has been an attitude that it's just for men/boys, thankfully that's stopping.  But trying to force things like Carney is advocating for will do more damage than good.  Accept the challenge that the men have got more income and eyes on it, set about making your product that good so you take away eyes and with it income.  

Watching Karen Carney on MNF was like a car crash. We all want the sport to progress but she really needs to understand the concept of sponsorship and advertising before going on live TV and making those comments…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 236 - 242
diehardmariner
August 24, 2023, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Agreed.  She's doing far more damage than good.
Private Message
Reply: 237 - 242
TAGG
August 24, 2023, 12:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,959
Gold Stars: 126
I'm fed up of this wall to wall media bullshit about how Women footballers should be paid the same as the men's game.
Compering the two games is like compering a top bottle of Moët to a bottle of  someone's home brew sparkling white knocked up in a shed.
When the women's game generates anywhere near the mens then these conversations can be had.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 238 - 242
pontoonlew
August 24, 2023, 1:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from diehardmariner

It’s funny because comments like this are a big part of the reason people take the urine, she thinks she’s saying this groundbreaking thing to improve the image of women’s football when in fact she’s making it worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 239 - 242
25 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Women's World Cup 2023

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.