Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Women's World Cup 2023
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Women's World Cup 2023

This thread currently has 17,305 views. Print
25 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
August 20, 2023, 3:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Rick12
One on one though like we use to play in the park as kids eg three and in ( whoever gets to three goes through ) I reckon some of the Spanish and English girls would beat some of the Grimsby players though eg Putellas ,Bonmatti or Russo ?.😉🙂.

I'd stick to believing in Jesus.

It's more probable than Spain women beating GTFC at footy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 242
diehardmariner
August 20, 2023, 3:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Is football the only sport that gets the male/female comparison treatment?  

Of course the men would dominate. Physically they are simply bigger, stronger and faster. That's the whole reason men play against men and women against women.

Can't we just enjoy each version of the game for what they are rather than degrade the efforts of the Lionesses by comparing them?

I've watched very little of this tournament, nor previous ones, but the standard dramatically improves with each one. The first half of the final especially was fantastic entertainment.
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 242
Rick12
August 20, 2023, 3:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ginnywings

I'd stick to believing in Jesus.

It's more probable than Spain women beating GTFC at footy.
It's nice though Ginny that womens sport is advancing be it in football,tennis or boxing. I note for one tennis especially has made great strides in terms of dealing with sexist attitudes from yesteryear with Billie Jean King and a few others being trailblazers to the point now where equal pay is given in the major tennis opens as your most likely aware.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 242
lee65
August 20, 2023, 4:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Hagrid

Aye theres a massive difference in quality and physicality. No disrespect to the women, but i’m sure town would put 6/7 past them

I’m not sure, because at 2-0 up we’d bring Green on to shield the defence  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 242
GrimRob
August 20, 2023, 4:28pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,410
Gold Stars: 113
Serena and Venus were smashed in their prime by a guy I can't even remember playing

https://www.sportskeeda.com/te.....illiams-battle-sexes

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 214 - 242
Rick12
August 20, 2023, 6:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
Serena and Venus were smashed in their prime by a guy I can't even remember playing

https://www.sportskeeda.com/te.....illiams-battle-sexes
Interesting link. I can relate a bit having played tennis myself for the school ,local area and club. I found in the mixed doubles the females I played with struggled with the power side of the game especially on serve . Males less so.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 242
MarinerWY
August 21, 2023, 9:49am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Thing is though, I'm not sure what stating the obvious (that men are physically stronger and faster than women) achieves?

We know. We know that 100m men's record is much faster than the women's. We know that men's teams will beat women's teams, and that there is a huge difference.

But so what? What's the end point of all this? That women shouldn't play sport? Pack up and go home? That people shouldn't enjoy watching women's sports?

It's like saying there's no point in men's featherweight boxing fights cos the heavyweight champs would destroy them. Yet nobody does say that.

Its just a bit tedious tbh.

Anyhow, Spain outplayed us and managed the game well, including infuriating shithousery to slow the game down and destroy any momentum.  
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 242
Rick12
August 21, 2023, 12:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MarinerWY
Thing is though, I'm not sure what stating the obvious (that men are physically stronger and faster than women) achieves?

We know. We know that 100m men's record is much faster than the women's. We know that men's teams will beat women's teams, and that there is a huge difference.

But so what? What's the end point of all this? That women shouldn't play sport? Pack up and go home? That people shouldn't enjoy watching women's sports?
Fair points raised. Talking to a lad who'd been involved in pro sports about this the other week and he questioned whether women should get paid the same in tennis as the men's do. I suppose when you analyse it  women if they  reach their maximum level on average will never beat the men's eg tennis if the same principles apply  and should equal pay be given in view of that?.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 242
Maringer
August 21, 2023, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,531
Gold Stars: 185
The argument against women tennis players being paid equally should surely be the fact that they don't play anywhere near as many games?

It really doesn't make sense in the modern era. No reason that professional women tennis players shouldn't be fit enough to play 5 sets if required. It seems almost a throwback that it is seen as acceptable for them to play no more than three sets. It's not as if women athletes run 60% of the distance for a marathon.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 242
TownSNAFU5
August 21, 2023, 1:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Agree 5 sets for tennis.  In athletics women have increasingly taken on newer, tougher events or distances.  Women do the steeplechase, which is very tough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 242
25 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Women's World Cup 2023

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.