Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Ukraine War
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 23 Guests

Ukraine War

This thread currently has 21,936 views. Print
46 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Caesar
February 24, 2022, 1:18pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from Poojah

The west standing up with force now is a very effective way of accelerating an escalation to full blown war with nuclear weapons. I don’t think it’s melodramatic to suggest that the first NATO or US shell fired in the direction of Russian forces (or vice versa) triggers a war that few in the developed world will survive.

It’s that precarious.

But then the west doing nothing is an open invitation to more aggression. I agree it would lead to massive escalation in my post. And thats why it is easy for me to say on a forum for Grimsby Town fans but very different in real life.

My thinking is mainly driven by the fact that the cost of doing nothing is still a cost and that if he can invade some states with impunity, what stops him again and again.

My fear is either way that we are on the road to a third World War. Either act now early with costs associated with that or don't and deal with increasing costs in the future.

But as I say is easier for me to type but beyond scary and dangerous in reality particularly when as I think you point out, one policy leads to very likely escalation and conflict that could effectively destroy the world vs a policy that might not lead to one at all as my doomladen predictions could be very wide of the mark.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 453
Humbercod
February 24, 2022, 1:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,502
Gold Stars: 82
Anyone seen sleepy Joe?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 453
Poojah
February 24, 2022, 1:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Caesar

But then the west doing nothing is an open invitation to more aggression. I agree it would lead to massive escalation in my post. And thats why it is easy for me to say on a forum for Grimsby Town fans but very different in real life.

My thinking is mainly driven by the fact that the cost of doing nothing is still a cost and that if he can invade some states with impunity, what stops him again and again.

My fear is either way that we are on the road to a third World War. Either act now early with costs associated with that or don't and deal with increasing costs in the future.

But as I say is easier for me to type but beyond scary and dangerous in reality particularly when as I think you point out, one policy leads to very likely escalation and conflict that could effectively destroy the world vs a policy that might not lead to one at all as my doomladen predictions could be very wide of the mark.

I think, in the context of nuclear armageddon, rising costs are small beer.

I dearly hope not but we may well be on the road to WW3; at the minute that sits in Putin’s court. A lot will depend on how far he’s prepared to go into Eastern Europe, but even if he intends to stop at Ukraine, the inevitable coming together of Russian and NATO troops on the Estonian and Latvian borders presents a potentially very volatile situation.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 453
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 24, 2022, 1:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Caesar

Surely WW3 is unlikely.

It will either be nuclear armageddon or a proxy war between East and West in some poor b*stards back yard (Ukraine, Lithuania, BiH).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 453
Caesar
February 24, 2022, 1:48pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I think, in the context of nuclear armageddon, rising costs are small beer.

I dearly hope not but we may well be on the road to WW3; at the minute that sits in Putin’s court. A lot will depend on how far he’s prepared to go into Eastern Europe, but even if he intends to stop at Ukraine, the inevitable coming together of Russian and NATO troops on the Estonian and Latvian borders presents a potentially very volatile situation.

But there is also a potential that doing something now prevents apocalypse later as pressing any button is a huge step. Nuclear deterrents one would hope would be total last resort. May not happen now if troops are sent to support Ukraine as would be a high cost low benefit step. The likely all encompassing war could be catastrophic still im different ways. But if the stakes have been raised because we do nothing now......

My point is it is not like it is dangerous to act now is a sufficient argument. Doing nothing could be just as costly or moreso. Truthfully it is scarily high stakes and nobody knows for sure what is the best course of action.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 453
Caesar
February 24, 2022, 1:52pm

Fine Wine Drinker

Surely WW3 is unlikely.

It will either be nuclear armageddon or a proxy war between East and West in some poor b*stards back yard (Ukraine, Lithuania, BiH).

Nukes I hope would only ever be used as weapons of last resort.

Agree proxy war seems most likely but so easy for that to escalate as an aggressive Russia tests Western resolve.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 453
LH
February 24, 2022, 2:03pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,597
Gold Stars: 175
Three options really:

Best case scenario: new cold war with horrific economic implications and increased numbers of armed forces personnel and spending.

Mid: WWIII with use of conventional weapons resulting in huge loss of life, horrific economic implications.

Worst case: nuclear war. intercourse the economy in that instance.

If I wasn’t already listed and I was under forty, male and from an industry with a lot of older workers/retired workers who could come back I would definitely be getting my running shoes on for the next few weeks.
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 453
ska face
February 24, 2022, 2:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from LH

If I wasn’t already listed and I was under forty, male and from an industry with a lot of older workers/retired workers who could come back I would definitely be getting my running shoes on for the next few weeks.

Private Message
Reply: 117 - 453
Humbercod
February 24, 2022, 3:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,502
Gold Stars: 82
This is not what I wanted to see in Ukraine. It didn’t have to end this way. Even days ago an agreement that Ukraine would never join NATO and the full implementation of the Minsk Agreement would have ended the crisis.

The FT’s (berated) call for this was right. Pumping Ukraine full of NATO weapons, mercenaries and propaganda was a grave mistake (and Russia inherits a billion dollars worth of weaponry). What was intended as a demonstration of NATO strength has ended with proof of its weakness.

The US empire is fading. The sun has risen in the east. Britain should fulfil its destiny as an independent country, free from the EU, and free from the USA.

George Galloway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 453
Limerick Mariner
February 24, 2022, 3:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,743
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Poojah

The west standing up with force now is a very effective way of accelerating an escalation to full blown war with nuclear weapons. I don’t think it’s melodramatic to suggest that the first NATO or US shell fired in the direction of Russian forces (or vice versa) triggers a war that few in the developed world will survive.

It’s that precarious.

But expansionist dictators can only be stopped by force. NATO has to respond now mobilising to reinforce all of NATO eastern Europe. It will cost us all a load of our taxes and the last thing we need after COVID but there is no choice. We need to force Russia into a Cold War they can't win. Russia spends 5% of GDP on military - more than any NATO country but their economy is tiny compared to the combined NATO economy. NATO can outspend them easily with some economic pain but with sanctions and the cost of occupation of Ukraine Russia can't win a Cold War. When the wall came down the Soviet `bloc was shown to be hollowed out economically and militarily and actually was posing much less of a conventional military threat than the west feared. The only strategy I can see is to hollow out Russia and hope that Putin is removed by his own people.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 453
46 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Ukraine War

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.