Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Ukraine War
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 27 Guests

Ukraine War

This thread currently has 21,671 views. Print
46 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
February 4, 2022, 11:31pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,062
Gold Stars: 198
I'm no expert but it looks like China is behind Russia in it's stance over the expansion of NATO.

Worrying times.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
DB
February 5, 2022, 5:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,020
Gold Stars: 386
China and Russia always support each other against 'free' democratic countries. Winter will soon be ending and the Russians have supply routes in force for their troops. Come Spring I think we will find out the Russians true intentions beit brinkmanship or occupation of Ukraine.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 453
Humbercod
February 5, 2022, 10:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,490
Gold Stars: 82
Do we absolutely know that Russia are the bad guys? We get fed so much propaganda these days that I cannot help but to question the narrative.
Even as a kid growing up in the 70s and early 80s I was conscious of those bad Russians that had nukes pointing towards us, I’d heard about the reds under your beds, we had the James Bond bad guys, Ivan Drago and the woman they were all emotionless and hard as nails nothing good comes from Russia. The place is cold and inhospitable to foreigners,  they live isolated lives drinking vodka all day.

But then I started working with an older guy when in my early 20s and he was married to a Russian (who I met and found lovely) he’d  travelled there many times and described the place and the people as wonderful nothing like we are led to believe.
I think back to my school days learning about the war and again the good guys were the western Allies I don’t recall ever being taught how we defeated the Nazis with Russia it was always the British and Americans (mainly) as far as I was taught.

I’m not saying Putin is an angel but I do watch quite a lot of RT news purely for some kind of balance, yes there is an argument it’s under some kind of state control but so is the BBC you could also argue, and it’s interesting to see the exasperation on the channel at all the anti-Russian propaganda, they seem amused with good humour to be fair but not surprised at the constant blame gaming against their Country. Only the other day they was reporting on the Canadian government telling their citizens that the Canadian truck freedom protest was organised by the Kremlin😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 453
Maringer
February 5, 2022, 10:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Not sure the Russians are really thinking of invading Ukraine. Looks like sabre-rattling to me as they've already got the bit they need in Crimea. The fact that NATO was making eyes at Ukraine was a really foolish decision because the Russians were never going to allow that due to access to the Black Sea. I suspect they are looking to force negotiations and a treaty to get the West to recognise Crimea as now being part of Russia (and most people in Crimea are happy with this).

The Chinese can continue their expansionist ways in the Pacific more easily if eyes are on Crimea, so no surprise that they are in support of the Russians.

Ultimately, we can't do anything about either of these superpowers as they have us over a barrel. Too much of Europe is reliant on Russian gas for heating and energy and most western countries are reliant on China after foolishly outsourcing all our manufacturing and industry out there to make a quick buck. It would take a serious programme of investment, construction and training to stop our reliance on these two countries. No chance of that occurring any time soon, unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 453
ska face
February 5, 2022, 11:22am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Humbercod
Do we absolutely know that Russia are the bad guys? We get fed so much propaganda these days that I cannot help but to question the narrative.
Even as a kid growing up in the 70s and early 80s I was conscious of those bad Russians that had nukes pointing towards us, I’d heard about the reds under your beds, we had the James Bond bad guys, Ivan Drago and the woman they were all emotionless and hard as nails nothing good comes from Russia. The place is cold and inhospitable to foreigners,  they live isolated lives drinking vodka all day.

But then I started working with an older guy when in my early 20s and he was married to a Russian (who I met and found lovely) he’d  travelled there many times and described the place and the people as wonderful nothing like we are led to believe.
I think back to my school days learning about the war and again the good guys were the western Allies I don’t recall ever being taught how we defeated the Nazis with Russia it was always the British and Americans (mainly) as far as I was taught.

I’m not saying Putin is an angel but I do watch quite a lot of RT news purely for some kind of balance, yes there is an argument it’s under some kind of state control but so is the BBC you could also argue, and it’s interesting to see the exasperation on the channel at all the anti-Russian propaganda, they seem amused with good humour to be fair but not surprised at the constant blame gaming against their Country. Only the other day they was reporting on the Canadian government telling their citizens that the Canadian truck freedom protest was organised by the Kremlin😂

Well said (in parts) Comrade. People have to appreciate that Russia has been invaded three times in the last 200 years by supposed superpowers at the time, and has witnessed an expansion of NATO right up to its borders despite being promised that this wouldn’t happen following the collapse of the USSR.

There are issues regarding supplies of gas, national identity, internal politics and countless other factors that we will never really be able to comprehend, but the “Russia/China = bad, NATO = good” is reductive to a level that primary school children would see past it. It’s “reds under the bed” stuff. Tragic.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 453
GYinScuntland
February 5, 2022, 12:46pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Fcuk Russia and China, nuke France.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 453
promotion plaice
February 5, 2022, 1:22pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,062
Gold Stars: 198
Quoted from GYinScuntland
Fcuk Russia and China, nuke France.

And Scotland while we're at it  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 453
ginnywings
February 5, 2022, 7:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Putin is akin to a mafia boss who has siphoned billions of pounds into his own personal account, most of which is in London and plenty of our politicians have taken his wonga. There are campaigns to freeze his assets and those of other oligarchs who have staggering amounts of money in western banking systems, but as ever, money talks.

Putin doesn't care about Russia. He cares for himself and the tens of billions of dollars he has stolen from his countrymen.

Unfortunately, unlike other mafia bosses, he has a million strong army and nuclear weapons.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 453
grimsby pete
February 6, 2022, 3:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
My biggest worry about any country starting a third world war is not Russia or China it is the USA .

They can't help it sticking their nose in other countries business they have lost a lot of good young men in various conflicts since 1945 but made a lot of money selling arms ect.

The good thing about having nuclear weapons is you will not use them because if you do you will get the same coming back at you.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 453
scrumble
February 6, 2022, 4:12pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Maringer
  (and most people in Crimea are happy with this).

They held a referendum after they invaded the area, in a vote that was effectively at gun point.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 453
46 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Ukraine War

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.