Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Brexit

This thread currently has 77,846 views. Print
92 Pages Prev ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
November 23, 2019, 12:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,666
Gold Stars: 189
Just to point out, for the umpteenth time that most of the Labour Party policies really wouldn't have looked much out of place in a Tory manifesto any time from the 1950s through to the 1970s. Nationalised utilities? Very normal (as they still are in much of the developed world today). Our railway franchises are operated by national railway companies of other countries. The extremism began with Thatcher and has continued since then. And what has happened in these years?

Why, household debt has increased threefold! A lot of this will be mortgages as the property boom and policy to not build enough houses has taken effect, but unsecured debt is also much higher:

Despite this, for some reason, when there is talk of increasing taxes on the very wealthiest in society to help pay for things or taking back the utilities into public hands, it's seen as some sort of crazy left-wing scheme. I just find it bizarre.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 770 - 918
Marinerz93
November 23, 2019, 3:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Makes me laugh when certain posters make comments about Conservatives, I've never known Grimsby to be any other than a labour stronghold, Wilsons Labour were in government (1974 to 1979 during the 3rd cod war of 1975. I know Icelands hold over NATO helped them get what they wanted but the Labour government of the day left those reliant on the fishing industry in the wind. In fact the Icelandic Government offered the British Government quotas that were almost equal to that being caught—at that time, British fishermen were catching about 130 million tonnes—which would have kept the industry going, but, as part of the agreement, the British Government refused. They are responsible for the decline of this once great Town, take a walk around the areas of town that were affluent and thriving and then come back with what labour have done for this town. Labour are a wolf in sheeps clothing let's best not mention war monger and now middle east peace envoy, set for life Blair.

It think it was a fish worker Lillian Bilocca who was one of the headscarf revolutionaries who campaigned for compensation for fisherman, not a labour MP and it wasn't until 2012 under a coalition government of Conservative and Lib Dems that the fishermen were offered compensation and an apology to fishermen who lost their livelihoods in the 1970s. More than 35 years after the workers lost their jobs, the £1,000 compensation offered to 2,500 fisherman was criticised for being insufficient and excessively delayed  People like, my dad, Grandad and other family relatives and many other fisherman and the like died well before this payment was made, and it wasn't the labour party. Conservatives don't care about anything outisde London and Labour just play on the fact Conservative don't care but have done fcuk all to make life better in the north, they can go fcuk themselves and take Corbyn with them, flipping snakes the lot.

Labour were in government but no compensation given until Conservatives and Lib Dems in 2012.
1974 to 1979
1997 to 2010

2012 - Conservative / Lib Dems offer apology and compensation, why are they apologising for Labours incompetence.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 771 - 918
grimsby pete
November 23, 2019, 7:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Could someone tell me how a 4 day week will not cost more as the Labour party says it will be paid by extra productivity ,,

How does a Doctor , Nurse  Postman, Bus Driver, Shop Worker and numerous other trades increase their productivity ?

Plus they say only the top 5% of earners will pay more tax but they are doing away with the marriage allowance as its unfair to the odd couples so that's a tax rise for most people.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 772 - 918
Maringer
November 23, 2019, 11:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Productivity in the UK is 20% or more lower than in the better performing countries. In fact, UK productivity has long been pretty poor in comparison to others. This is nothing to do with the hours worked - we do work long hours. The point is that if we can improve our productivity, we can work fewer hours whilst still creating the same amount of output. If you can get the same work done in 35 hours instead of 42, then why not do so and enjoy the additional time you have left over?

How do we improve productivity? If you're not so tired, you work more efficiently. That's an obvious fact, so working fewer hours can help there immediately. Other than that, our investment in technology and training has long been low in comparison to some other countries. Improve that and you should improve productivity. Enough to start a 4 day week? I'd be surprised as it's difficult in many industries (I certainly couldn't do my work in 4 days), but it's a nice aspiration to have. Some businesses are managing it already. Lucky them, I say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 773 - 918
Marinerz93
November 24, 2019, 11:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
How can you improve productivity when certain jobs take 2-3 hours to do, by cutting the hours in this type of work is cutting down productivity. I manage around 24 engineers and I know who puts a full shift in and those who don't. It's the sick, lame and lazy ones (not genuine OH cases) who use the unions as a shield to get away with poor performances, I've even got a union rep doing the same. Labours idea doesn't stack up when you have a large amounts of people across the country in various industries who do the bare minimum.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 774 - 918
grimsby pete
November 24, 2019, 5:21pm

Exile
Quoted from Maringer
  (I certainly couldn't do my work in 4 days), but it's a nice aspiration to have

You could if you spent less time on the Fishy.  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 775 - 918
Marinerz93
November 24, 2019, 5:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

You could if you spent less time on the Fishy.  

I think we all fall under that Pete  

Private Message
Reply: 776 - 918
grimsby pete
November 24, 2019, 5:34pm

Exile
Quoted from Marinerz93

I think we all fall under that Pete  

Not me I work 24/7  365 days looking after my wife  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 777 - 918
chaos33
November 24, 2019, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,995
Gold Stars: 362
You probably post more messages on the fishy than anyone else!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 778 - 918
Maringer
November 24, 2019, 9:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
In my defence, I don't post much during the day so I'm not missing too much work time. Don't have a lunch break a few days a week either so I'm due the odd lapse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 779 - 918
92 Pages Prev ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.