Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell Out  (triple merged)

This thread currently has 47,501 views. Print
56 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
davmariner
January 28, 2024, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,962
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I do not pay much attention to what a manager says (DA).  I do care what he does and doesn’t do.

Eg, not sure what Wood has shown in training to justify a start. The team set-up was clearly not working after 5 minutes.  It took until the 87th min to make real changes.  We struggled badly against an average team at home.

An equal concern is that other poor teams, or poorer teams are picking up points.  Colchester and Salford with away wins. Sutton got their second consecutive away point.  Including a draw at Mansfield.

At least FGR had the decency to lose and Donney have a defence as bad as ours.  Our safety cushion does not look very secure.  Our decent goal-difference is probably our strongest asset.  Very sad.

All the more reason with starting with a more experienced midfield yesterday.  Or changing it when it is very clear to all fans that it was not working.  He didn’t.

Some results and performances have been encouraging recently.  Not sustained though.  DA said that yesterday was nowhere near an acceptable standard. He also said that the performance was worse than the 6-1 defeat to Walsall.  

Ok, but you are the manager!  

Good point on Wood. Granted, he’s only started one game but he looked out of his depth and his delivery and corners extremely poor. He was playing as if he had all the time and space in the world, but unfortunately you don’t get that in English football.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 556
The Caterham Mariner
January 28, 2024, 11:38am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +91
Gold Stars: 8
Crikey remind me , I/ We support Grimsby Town
and not Chelsea who can sack managers left right and centre these last 2/3 years.
After the Walsall game then "that 5-5 match !", and a lose yesterday, Could we afford to sack David Artell
Without giving him abit more time with the squad he has to manage at least till the end of the season.
Another thread = "relegation odds "- pack that it for starters too.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 556
Mappers
January 28, 2024, 11:40am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,449
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from pontoonlew
Just to recap on the past 7 days of The Fishy then;

- We shouldn’t buy young players and sell them on, it makes us look weak and we should abandon that proven model immediately

- We should sack a manager after 6 weeks and before he’s been able to bring his own players in

- Playing with an identity is not the way to go, instead we should revert to being ‘tough to beat’ and get a short term fix in to address that

- Long term plan? Long term plans don’t work, better to turn into blind panic after a few bad games, when did long term plans ever work?

I do despair at times, we wonder why our town is miles behind everyone else in almost every aspect. We say we want positive change, yet we push back on that change at almost every possible opportunity.

Agree with that you are saying

But 7 or 8 half decent performances in about 40 home league games is unacceptable by any standard isn't it ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 556
HertsGTFC
January 28, 2024, 11:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from davmariner

Good point on Wood. Granted, he’s only started one game but he looked out of his depth and his delivery and corners extremely poor. He was playing as if he had all the time and space in the world, but unfortunately you don’t get that in English football.

I’d love to know the rationale of putting two young loanees in front of Green instead of Clifton & Gav? I just don’t get it.

I noticed that Tranmere where getting stuck into Wood, nudging him at ever opportunity, in his ear and generally doing a good job at putting him off, I know they wouldn’t have taken that approach with either Gav or Clifton.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 556
jamesgtfc
January 28, 2024, 11:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pontoonlew

- We shouldn’t buy young players and sell them on, it makes us look weak and we should abandon that proven model immediately

- We should sack a manager after 6 weeks and before he’s been able to bring his own players in

- Playing with an identity is not the way to go, instead we should revert to being ‘tough to beat’ and get a short term fix in to address that

- Long term plan? Long term plans don’t work, better to turn into blind panic after a few bad games, when did long term plans ever work?

I do despair at times, we wonder why our town is miles behind everyone else in almost every aspect. We say we want positive change, yet we push back on that change at almost every possible opportunity.

Do you continue with the long-term plan if relegation to non-league AGAIN starts to look like a real possibility, or do you tweak the long-term plan to make sure the club is still in the EFL next season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 556
GibMariner
January 28, 2024, 11:50am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -964
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from pen penfras
Whilst we are totally shite and Artell is the manager, how much is he to blame?

The squad is crap, only 2 signings were an improvement and one of those has gone. Hurst signed those players, but I'm not sure it's all his fault. He never signed shite like this before we had a head of recruitment and board pushing for us to play the 'Grimsby way'.

How many teams can you name that look in danger of relegation, struggle at the back but not particularly struggling to score go on to hire a manager with the intent of playing more expansive football? I can't think of a single instance where this has worked, it's always bring in a Spam Allardyce or Sean Dyche type to save you.

Artell's interviews worried me since day 1. I think he's incoherent, but these statements of how he'll improve the players etc worry me more. I think it's arrogant and players don't respond well to it. I think he's trying to get them to do too much outside their comfort zone. But that's the mandate he was brought in for. I don't for one second think Artell is the right man for this job. But I don't blame the scorpion for being a scorpion. I blame the people who thought a scorpion was what we needed.

Further to that, we've got a chairman who doesn't want to be here, or at least chairman, and is complaining about having to put money in. We've heard for 3 years about a new training ground, now we're waiting on legal stuff and have no way to fund it. It feels like the new stadium saga all over again. And somehow we spend a lot more money to be just as shite. The only thing we had going for us was that we're sustainable, we don't even have that anymore.

This in. Buckets
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 556
Blundellite
January 28, 2024, 12:19pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +82
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from pontoonlew

Brilliant post this town is full of moaners and  the change in attitudes/opinions after a game of footy within the fanbase is astounding
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 556
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2024, 12:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Blundellite

Brilliant post this town is full of moaners and  the change in attitudes/opinions after a game of footy within the fanbase is astounding

Honest question. How are we supposed to react to a performance like that? Even the manager described it as awful.
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 556
pontoonlew
January 28, 2024, 12:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Do you continue with the long-term plan if relegation to non-league AGAIN starts to look like a real possibility, or do you tweak the long-term plan to make sure the club is still in the EFL next season?

It’s just kicking the can down the road, a short term fix writes off next season already. IF Artell can get his message across over the next part of the season we leave ourselves in good shape for the season after.

Of course relegation is possible but I genuinely cannot see that happening, call me naive but I just don’t think over the course of 18 games we’re bad enough to go down.

Artell has been here 6 weeks and the window isn’t shut yet, how anybody can completely write him off after a few games (some of which have been very good) is beyond me.

Crewe played some of the best football I’ve seen in this division under him, it took him a while to get that going for them from a very similar position to the one we find ourselves in now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 556
HerveJosse
January 28, 2024, 12:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
Sack Artell  and that’s the Conteh money gone. Not going to happen however bad it gets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 556
56 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.