Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell Out  (triple merged)

This thread currently has 47,483 views. Print
56 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
January 28, 2024, 8:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

I don’t recall the squad being much, if any, better than current, Bogle was gone and we went almost straight into relegation fight mode the following season.

Macca, Danny Andrew, Shaun, Danny Collins, Jamie Osborne, Chris Clements (good when fit) Dis, Callum Dyson, Sam Jones (started well) Dom Vose ( the cameo king) even Andy Boyce & Zak Mills where better than we have now.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 556
ginnywings
January 28, 2024, 8:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I think I have posted before that I took a dislike to Artell long before he was anywhere near the GTFC job. Can remember when he was at Crewe and I watched a couple of his post match interviews when they played us and thought "who is this arrogant sod with Harold Lloyd glasses"?

Now that may be unfair, and he may be a wonderful coach and person, but he just rubbed me up the wrong way for some reason, and maybe he does that to others, including the players in the squad. When he was mentioned as a candidate for our job, I thought well, if he gets it, he will get my backing as I back all our managers and players, and will have an open mind.

So far it been a bit of a curates egg of performances, and the last two games couldn't have been more different. Wonderful entertainment against County, and Mike Newell levels of ineptitude yesterday.

So the question is- have we got a bullsh1tter who has blagged his way into the job and dazzled the owners with his spreadsheets and university degrees, or have we got a good coach who has ruffled a few feathers and will eventually prevail? I only hope it's the second option and have no reason to think otherwise yet, because we have played some great stuff at times.

I posted a link some weeks back to a Codalmighty article, which laid out how terrible our EFL record has been over the last 20 years and Poojah also brought up the same subject in his just back post yesterday. We have had umpteen managers and literally hundreds of players in that time, but the closest anyone has got us looking like we can compete in league 2 is PH last season and Slade 20 years ago.

So, I have to ask, is it going to take a complete change of philosophy and playing style to crack this particular nut and is Artell the man to finally drag us kicking and screaming into the 21st century? It may be that we have to dismantle everything, and try a new approach, which is going down like a sh1t sandwich at the moment with some fans, and it seems some of the players too, although I have no idea if tales of unrest are true.

Maybe this is what it is going to take to finally become an established league side pushing for promotion in the future, but it's going to be a bumpy ride along the way. I hope so, because our continued struggles are getting really tedious now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 556
IlkleyMariner
January 28, 2024, 8:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Frankly I don’t know the answer to this dilemma.

My inclination if I was Chairman, which I would never be, is to back DA, including the transfer market.

The alternative is too awful to consider
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 556
The Dogs Testicles
January 28, 2024, 8:35pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Approval: -118
Gold Stars: 17
I just don’t think this ends well at all……..

Prove me wrong but I’m not convinced he will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 556
HertsGTFC
January 28, 2024, 8:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
I think I have posted before that I took a dislike to Artell long before he was anywhere near the GTFC job. Can remember when he was at Crewe and I watched a couple of his post match interviews when they played us and thought "who is this arrogant sod with Harold Lloyd glasses"?

Now that may be unfair, and he may be a wonderful coach and person, but he just rubbed me up the wrong way for some reason, and maybe he does that to others, including the players in the squad. When he was mentioned as a candidate for our job, I thought well, if he gets it, he will get my backing as I back all our managers and players, and will have an open mind.

So far it been a bit of a curates egg of performances, and the last two games couldn't have been more different. Wonderful entertainment against County, and Mike Newell levels of ineptitude yesterday.

So the question is- have we got a bullsh1tter who has blagged his way into the job and dazzled the owners with his spreadsheets and university degrees, or have we got a good coach who has ruffled a few feathers and will eventually prevail? I only hope it's the second option and have no reason to think otherwise yet, because we have played some great stuff at times.

I posted a link some weeks back to a Codalmighty article, which laid out how terrible our EFL record has been over the last 20 years and Poojah also brought up the same subject in his just back post yesterday. We have had umpteen managers and literally hundreds of players in that time, but the closest anyone has got us looking like we can compete in league 2 is PH last season and Slade 20 years ago.

So, I have to ask, is it going to take a complete change of philosophy and playing style to crack this particular nut and is Artell the man to finally drag us kicking and screaming into the 21st century? It may be that we have to dismantle everything, and try a new approach, which is going down like a sh1t sandwich at the moment with some fans, and it seems some of the players too, although I have no idea if tales of unrest are true.

Maybe this is what it is going to take to finally become an established league side pushing for promotion in the future, but it's going to be a bumpy ride along the way. I hope so, because our continued struggles are getting really tedious now.

I’m not always on the same page as you but that’s the point of a forum board but this is a good post and viewpoint. As long as we don’t get relegated I’m happy for Artell to rebuild the lego.

The game has moved on and despite periods of pragmatism brining us relative success under Hurst I’m not sure we have.

Look what 20 odd years of penny pinching gets you I guess?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 556
Swansea_Mariner
January 28, 2024, 8:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Frankly I don’t know the answer to this dilemma.

My inclination if I was Chairman, which I would never be, is to back DA, including the transfer market.

The alternative is too awful to consider

He's got to back him, this is it now swapping out at this stage would be absolute folly as whoever came in would only be able to bring in unattached players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 556
arryarryarry
January 28, 2024, 8:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Davec
If it is true that certain players are bad apples which I can believe in fairness, how did Hurst get it wrong when he signed them? He's normally an excellent judge of character and values team spirit so why did he sign these players who are "bad apples"

Because we had a recruitment manager and it was all data led apparently.
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 556
arryarryarry
January 28, 2024, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mikey_345
Just wanna put it out there that a lost dressing room and drunk off a few players that have underperformed and deserve a few home truths are slightly different things.

Not doubting what your saying guys, just important to think about imo as we do hear ’lost the players’ a lot in football

"A few players"

Just about the lot of them were crap on Saturday.
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 556
arryarryarry
January 28, 2024, 8:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mikey_345
Re him apparently losing the dressing room at Crewe, think someone mentioned it earlier. The club spoke to lots and lots of passed players and club officials - that’s not a secret they made it clear.

Therefore I doubt it’s true, or not exactly as described, as that would have come up.

Football is quite a close community and many know each other, would an ex player or ex club official come out and excrement on another manager or someone they worked with?
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 556
jamesgtfc
January 28, 2024, 8:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Hagrid

Because of this data led approach.

How many of our summer signings were because of the data led approach?

Eastwood - previously worked with Hurst.
Cartwright - from Hull but is Grimsby born and bred.
Mullarkey - we missed out on him last January when the HoR had been here 5 minutes.
Rodgers - possibly.
Conteh - I think Hurst admitted that the HoR was behind this signing.
Andrews - just one of many random young lads that end up here in the hope of being any good.
Eisa - we are the third club Hurst has had him at.
Pyke - Hurst had worked with him before.
Vernam - this is his third spell here, and we had been after him for a few transfer windows.
Wilson - possibly a HoR find.
Rose - whoever is responsible for signing him, well done as he is our only hope of staying up at the moment.
Gnahoua - was at Shrewsbury with Hurst.
Ainley - possibly a HoR recommendation.

A lot of our summer recruitment has played for Hurst before. I don't think a data-led approach is to blame at all, as I don't think a lot of our signings were on the back of any underlying data.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 556
56 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.