Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell Out  (triple merged)

This thread currently has 47,485 views. Print
56 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Mikey_345
January 28, 2024, 1:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,563
Gold Stars: 107
Can’t help but think we need to calm down just a little bit. That said I get the frustration and concern.

Terrible game, terrible performance - that cannot be denied. However I’ve seen nothing to suggest, in my opinion at least, that Artell isn’t more than capable of turning us around. We’re very inconsistent but other than today I’d say we’ve looked like we have lots of goals in us - a huge change from earlier this season.

Let’s give the bloke a chance to change the team around in the next few days. We’ve let some, what I’d imagine at least, high earners leave and by all accounts others maybe following. Busy couple of days ahead and I just think judgement of any manager that has improved us results wise (that’s just a fact) is premature before that’s had chance to happen.

I get from our recent history though that we’re always going to panic more than others - who’d blame us? However I remember the relegation conversation happening last year as well.

In a silly sort of way, today might be the best time to have a performance like that - focuses minds and efforts on improvement in the last few days of the window.

Some of these players though, that I’d been fairly cautious about going over the top at and thinking it’s to early to do so, are beginning to get to a point where you cannot keep defending/saying give them time to get it. (and I think DA was hinting at this post match)

They’ve lost one very good bloke and manager his job… and this is how some of them react.. it’s shameful for professional footballers. Mullarkey, Rodgers, Green, Eisa, Clifton etc is where I’m looking at predominantly.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 556
GibMariner
January 28, 2024, 4:49am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -964
Gold Stars: 21
Information overload could be a problem for the players.

For me we were short of a good keeper and not much else but now we are all at seas rubbishing Tom, male private and Harry.

Still say Hurst should have been given the window.

Suspect we won’t be relegated but Genuine question though in DA do we trust? I think not.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 556
TuckerJenkins
January 28, 2024, 6:39am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +67
Gold Stars: 1
We are entirely relying on the bottom two not staging a recovery. If one of them wins a couple of games it will be squeaky bum time. The players we have brought in are very inexperienced. We need to splash the cash in the next few days.

Flippin' 'eck Tucker!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 556
kevikov
January 28, 2024, 7:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Yoda
DA needs to find a system these numb heads can understand and start getting some results, or we are in big trouble
Donny game is looking a massive 6 pointer.

Dont know about the points but i wouldn't be surprised to see 6 goals.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 556
1mickylyons
January 28, 2024, 7:06am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from davmariner

It’s a fair question. Certainly think his judgment is up for discussion at the very least, not just regarding the signings he’s made (albeit early days) but also regarding his team selections.

Too effin right his judgment is up for discussion. When a new Manager comes in and within a few weeks bins off all/most of his senior pros you know there is a problem. This bears all the hallmarks of Bignot .DA needs to steady the ship keep us up and then build his team in Summer.
Clifton Rose Cartwright Holohan should pick themselves if fit after that well..........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 556
1mickylyons
January 28, 2024, 7:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Mikey_345
Can’t help but think we need to calm down just a little bit. That said I get the frustration and concern.

Terrible game, terrible performance - that cannot be denied. However I’ve seen nothing to suggest, in my opinion at least, that Artell isn’t more than capable of turning us around. We’re very inconsistent but other than today I’d say we’ve looked like we have lots of goals in us - a huge change from earlier this season.

Let’s give the bloke a chance to change the team around in the next few days. We’ve let some, what I’d imagine at least, high earners leave and by all accounts others maybe following. Busy couple of days ahead and I just think judgement of any manager that has improved us results wise (that’s just a fact) is premature before that’s had chance to happen.

I get from our recent history though that we’re always going to panic more than others - who’d blame us? However I remember the relegation conversation happening last year as well.

In a silly sort of way, today might be the best time to have a performance like that - focuses minds and efforts on improvement in the last few days of the window.

Some of these players though, that I’d been fairly cautious about going over the top at and thinking it’s to early to do so, are beginning to get to a point where you cannot keep defending/saying give them time to get it. (and I think DA was hinting at this post match)

They’ve lost one very good bloke and manager his job… and this is how some of them react.. it’s shameful for professional footballers. Mullarkey, Rodgers, Green, Eisa, Clifton etc is where I’m looking at predominantly.

1-6 at home to a midtable  Walsall suggests otherwise this followed by shipping another 5 at home wtf is Artell and his coaches working on to fix it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 556
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2024, 8:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from DaleH
Am I missing something here?

The crux of the matter is, that Paul Hurst and Chris Doug were sacked because of poor form during the season, and because of the worrying position we found ourselves in, looking over our shoulders at relegation back to the National League.. And when you listened to the owners at that time, who were very regretful in having to sack Paul and Chris, they placed a lot of focus on statistical analysis, which appears to be the new modern approach to our football.

Fast forward the the appointment of David Artell and the here and now. David was appointed because the club felt he was a better option to get a tune out of Paul’s squad, with the minimal change in personnel that clubs can make in the January transfer window. So a judgement that David would likely be an improvement on Paul when working with the existing squad. And then when January came, a judgement that David could make the changes needed in personnel to improve the position. It was if you like, a vote of no confidence that the previous managers could get us to safety, then be trusted to rebuild and go again after a worrying blip with some mistakes this season. The trust and confidence has transferred to David Artell, to take what Paul had built, and improve it.

It’s now up to supporters to make their mind up whether or not we’ve made the right choice in David Artell. Whether or not he’s got a better tune out of the existing players with them improving. Whether or not he’s moved the right players on. Whether or not his January signings are an improvement on what Paul brought together.

It certainly is not wrong to judge him on whether or not he’s improved what Paul had assembled. Because that was exactly what he’s been employed to do. They are largely the tools he’s been given to work with, in the belief that he can do a better job with those tools than his predecessor. So it’s not wrong to judge him with those tools.

Then of course as supporters, a lot of opinions will be formed based on what we hear him say each week. Whether or not the supporters warm to his personality and demeanour. Whether or not they warm to him or feel is demeanour and personality is enjoyed and provides confidence in its appeal. Judge for yourselves whether or not this is a manager that you are likely to enjoy and take to your hearts.

The jury is out for me, and from what I read it would appear that’s the case for many of you. I certainly haven’t seen any significant improvement in the outcome using the same tools. If anything, I thought we saw more of an improvement when Shaun and Ben were in temporary charge. I felt they lifted the mood through their personalities, and were improving performances with the same set of tools to play with.

But we’ve got what we’ve got now, and we are likely to have to live with the owners choice now until the end of the season. They’ve made a call on what qualities they feel Davis Artell has, and so that is decision made. Personally I’m not 100% convinced that his short managerial career to date, even with a promotion, was sufficient to signal he’s the answer to our current woes and future prospects. Time will tell I suppose, and I’d be delighted to eventually see that the owner’s judgement has been sound and successful.

I am worried. I do fear the drop again, and this does feel just the same as the last occasions we dropped. I refuse to hang my hat on the cliche that there’s two worse teams below that. I’ve hoped for that before and been disappointed. So, I’m placing a huge responsibility and expectation onto David Artell to do what he’s been employed to do; improve upon what his predecessors did and look after our football club. That’s what he’s been employed to do, and I make no apologies for having that level of expectation.

I thought it was right to change managers and the first few games suggested the same but it seems to have gone stale very quickly. There’s an element of throwing the baby out with the bath water and we seem to have too many who aren’t able to play in the new manager’s way.

I wasn’t worried till yesterday. I think we’re playing with fire. It’s a big week upcoming for sure.
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 556
January 28, 2024, 8:56am
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner

Agree with this.

I suspect the owners will look at the data, particularly the form table over the last 6-12 games, and be shitting themselves. I certainly am anyway.

The sooner they accept that they made a mistake with the appointment the better the chance we have at staying up - right now we’re skydiving without a parachute. It is slightly unnerving the extent to which some fans are wearing the rose tints in this respect.

What is ridiculous is people like you who expect miracles to happen after DA has been in situ for only 7 weeks!  He said in his first interview that this wouldn't be a quick fix but that it would take many months to get the team playing in the style he is used too.  Also, the players he inherited are obviously not his choice, I am guessing he will hope to turn that around by the end of the Summer transfer window.  

This thread title is a joke, and there is not a cat in hells chance that DA will be sacked any time soon!

Reply: 97 - 556
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2024, 9:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 123614

What is ridiculous is people like you who expect miracles to happen after DA has been in situ for only 7 weeks!  He said in his first interview that this wouldn't be a quick fix but that it would take many months to get the team playing in the style he is used too.  Also, the players he inherited are obviously not his choice, I am guessing he will hope to turn that around by the end of the Summer transfer window.  

This thread title is a joke, and there is not a cat in hells chance that DA will be sacked any time soon!

I do wish people could count. He was announced 9 weeks tomorrow.
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 556
January 28, 2024, 9:01am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I do wish people could count. He was announced 9 weeks tomorrow.

Pedantic, still too short a time for this thread.

Reply: 99 - 556
56 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.