Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell Out  (triple merged)

This thread currently has 47,477 views. Print
56 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
AncientExiledMariner
January 27, 2024, 10:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from benny1618
Too many players playing who should not be taking the wage of a professional footballer. The inability of so many to control the ball quickly and then be able to make an accurate pass of less than 20 yards is absolutely incredible. You don’t expect the same skill levels as championship or premiership players but basic skills should be there.

Potentially, and no amount of extra training is going to make them ball players in 2 months. You cannot fix problem in january. Only ones who are available are not getting in their teams, or are young and unproven. Many of our problems need us to pick the right manager, cling into league 2 this year, and go through it and replace those out of contract and those that will willingly move on early. Some won't and it's going to take more than 1 transfer window to fix.

This is the painful reality, many here naively think we could sign the next Pep and turn these guys into magicians.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 556
RichMariner
January 27, 2024, 10:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,161
Gold Stars: 211
It's easy to say Hurst fùcked up the recruitment in the summer, but let's not ignore the fact that he signed Danny Rose, who's a proper goalscorer and doing very well in a limited team, plus we have Abo Eisa who's scored 8 goals this season (a few have been top drawer) and even when Wilson gets on the field he's scored a handful, same for Pyke.

He also signed Conteh, who's just made us some £££.

Like every manager in any league, recruitment is hit and miss at the best of times. I don't think either keeper is an improvement on Crocombe; Mullarkey has added little, Rodgers has been disappointing, while players like Gnahoua and Vernam haven't been able to stay free of injury.

Some of last season's players haven't turned up this season, like Maher, Green and Glennon. Maybe in patches, but that's being generous. Still waiting to see the real Hunt.

From some angles, yes, recruitment wasn't great. It's a personal opinion but I think there's too much chopping and changing with every window. It's almost like managers feel they have to sell/sign players, otherwise the fans are going to kick off.

I watched All Town Aren't We this week and, once again, it feels like a tight-knit group got dismantled way too quickly, again. I'd have loved to have seen how far that same team could've taken us with the momentum and spirit they had. They'd have beaten our current lot easily today, and any other day this season.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 71 - 556
Yoda
January 27, 2024, 10:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
DA needs to find a system these numb heads can understand and start getting some results, or we are in big trouble
Donny game is looking a massive 6 pointer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 556
Mappers
January 27, 2024, 10:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,440
Gold Stars: 119

Potentially, and no amount of extra training is going to make them ball players in 2 months. You cannot fix problem in january. Only ones who are available are not getting in their teams, or are young and unproven. Many of our problems need us to pick the right manager, cling into league 2 this year, and go through it and replace those out of contract and those that will willingly move on early. Some won't and it's going to take more than 1 transfer window to fix.

This is the painful reality, many here naively think we could sign the next Pep and turn these guys into magicians.

I don't think anyone expects a Pep like transformation .I don't even expect us to beat Tranmere  really who are a decent club with some good players , but they were not much better than us today and we didn't lay a glove on them , we used to  give teams a proper game at BP whoever it was.

These are no magicians I agree with you there
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 556
Mappers
January 27, 2024, 10:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,440
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from RichMariner
It's easy to say Hurst fùcked up the recruitment in the summer, but let's not ignore the fact that he signed Danny Rose, who's a proper goalscorer and doing very well in a limited team, plus we have Abo Eisa who's scored 8 goals this season (a few have been top drawer) and even when Wilson gets on the field he's scored a handful, same for Pyke.

Like every manager in any league, recruitment is hit and miss at the best of times. I don't think either keeper is an improvement on Crocombe; Mullarkey has added little, Rodgers has been disappointing, while players like Gnahoua and Vernam haven't been able to stay free of injury.

Some of last season's players haven't turned up this season, like Maher, Green and Glennon. Maybe in patches, but that's being generous. Still waiting to see the real Hunt.

From some angles, yes, recruitment wasn't great. It's a personal opinion but I think there's too much chopping and changing with every window. It's almost like managers feel they have to sell/sign players, otherwise the fans are going to kick off.

I watched All Town Aren't We this week and, once again, it feels like a tight-knit group got dismantled way too quickly, again. I'd have loved to have seen how far that same team could've taken us with the momentum and spirit they had. They'd have beaten our current lot easily today, and any other day this season.

Agree with a lot of that ,especially the player turnover bit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 556
HertsGTFC
January 27, 2024, 11:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,991
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from RichMariner

Just posted on another thread of the starting 11 today only Clifton survives from the PO final 19 months ago.

What’s more alarming is only Glennon & Clifton played at Luton 12 months ago today.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 556
mariner91
January 27, 2024, 11:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
I think Artell has to take some of the blame for today certainly. A midfield trio that between them has less than 100 appearances in the FL and it showed, lacking in physicality and in Green having one of the most technically limited midfielders to have ever worn a Town shirt. Putting Clifton out wide for Vernam was also a strange choice. I can understand the thinking of giving the fairly useless Mullarkey a bit more defensive support but we were playing Tranmere, not Man City. The lack of attacking substitutions and the bizarre timing of the substitutions was also a mistake. I also think he's being too pigheaded given our situation where, despite what he says, we're not safe from relegation and trying to play this very technical game does not suit the players available who are in the most part pretty crap.

However, this situation is generally not his fault. Since the first half against Bradford, we were utterly shite under Hurst. There was a good performance against Morecambe under the caretakers amongst some equally shite performances (FGR, Sutton and Slough away). And other than a few games, we've continued to be shite under Artell. The common denominator is the players who are stealing a wage and should be ashamed of themselves.

The overall quality of the squad is non league standard and most of the signings in the last two years have either never had much success in the FL or mostly played in non-league interspersed with young, inexperienced players. If all of our players were released at the end of the season, how many would you expect to get a FL club? Rose, Clifton, Vernam, Eisa, Cartwright, possibly Gnahoua, Wilson and Pyke too? The rest I think would struggle to find a FL club and I suspect we will be the last FL club of a lot of these players. Our starting back line today had FOUR out of five players who were relegated LAST SEASON. In short, we've got a squad full of losers.

We have precious few who show any leadership. We have very little pace throughout the team. We're not a very strong team. We never seem to be as fit as the opposition.. We're technically quite poor on average and always seem far poorer than the opposition at doing the absolute basics. The match intelligence of too many players is alarmingly poor. We are found wanting in virtually every aspect of the game. I totally agree with those that are saying Artell is trying to get them to play in a way that they're not capable of playing. But then the question remains, what style of play could you implement with this team?!

The next few days are crucical. We need a right back, a left back, someone to replace Conteh cause Green is shite and can't do that role and another centre back at an absolute minimum if we're going to get ourselves out of trouble and not just rely on there being two teams that are worse than us. Hurst did a lot of good in the last two seasons but he's left us with an absolute turd of a squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 556
Nelly GTFC
January 27, 2024, 11:34pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,760
Gold Stars: 31
November 2022: https://gtfc.co.uk/hutchinson-becomes-head-of-recruitment-analysis/

I wonder which players the above has been an influence/difference in signing compared to someone Hurst thought would be good to sign, and for that matter Artell?

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 556
davmariner
January 27, 2024, 11:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,962
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Do the board trust DA with further funds next week?

It’s a fair question. Certainly think his judgment is up for discussion at the very least, not just regarding the signings he’s made (albeit early days) but also regarding his team selections.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 556
sydney
January 27, 2024, 11:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
OUT for me, and sooner the better
B4 Next Game Please
Poor recruitment from the club again
He Probably ticked the boxes at interview
Don’t ask me who to bring in as I’m fed up with feeling underwhelmed year after year after year
Pearson and Davies “May” keep us up
This fella definitely won’t
Eastleigh, Boreham Wood , Gateshead Beckoning
We deserve so much better
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 556
56 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell Out  (triple merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.