Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

To the Owners (merged)

This thread currently has 31,156 views. Print
42 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
February 17, 2024, 8:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,740
Gold Stars: 138
This appointment looks like a feck-up from 1878, but there are alot of deluded people on here if they think there is an alternative ownership structure that is going to pile money in. Apart from the Alan Buckley period, and its crystal clear that period was the exception, this club has been in a spiral of decline, more or less since the day the man who was the special guest today left the club.

The current owners are the only option. We could end up worse off than Scunny, they own their stadium, which as tinpot as it is, will not be hoovering cash in maintenance and repair like half of BP.

I agree they need to act fast to correct their feck-up though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 412
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 17, 2024, 9:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from 123614

Did you edit my post?

I have seen every game this season in full, home and away, so I don't need any explanations from you or anyone else.  I'm not stupid, I can see like everyone else that something has gone wrong with the team, what I don't do is call the manager and players names or have a go at the owners.  BTW, your reference to a 'vanity project' is absolute bollox.

How do you know it’s not a Vanity Project? Do you personally know the owners and have discussed this with them? Has someone told you who has direct knowledge of why they bought the club?

If not stop posting until you have a credible source supporting your statements.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 412
jamesgtfc
February 17, 2024, 9:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Since 2000, the following managers have completed a full Football League season in charge, nobody has completed two consecutive seasons in charge, except for Hurst in non-league.

Paul Groves: 02/03
Russell Slade: 05/06
Michael Jolley: 18/19
Paul Hurst: 22/23

In terms of non-league:
Rob Scott and Paul Hurst: 11/12
Paul Hurst: 12/13, 13/14, 14/15, 15/16, 21/22

Since the turn of the millennium, we have had 16 managers, 14 have ended badly. Only Russell Slade (2006 after the expiration of his contract) and Paul Hurst (2016) have left for a better appointment. Every other appointment has ended badly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 412
golfer
February 17, 2024, 9:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Put £50K in a brown envelope and see what happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 412
HerveJosse
February 17, 2024, 9:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Since 2000, the following managers have completed a full Football League season in charge, nobody has completed two consecutive seasons in charge, except for Hurst in non-league.

Paul Groves: 02/03
Russell Slade: 05/06
Michael Jolley: 18/19
Paul Hurst: 22/23

In terms of non-league:
Rob Scott and Paul Hurst: 11/12
Paul Hurst: 12/13, 13/14, 14/15, 15/16, 21/22

Since the turn of the millennium, we have had 16 managers, 14 have ended badly. Only Russell Slade (2006 after the expiration of his contract) and Paul Hurst (2016) have left for a better appointment. Every other appointment has ended badly.

99% of Football manager appointments end badly only exceptions are Ferguson, Shankley  and the odd manager who has died in office  even Wenger and Mourhon ended badly ( twice ),
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 412
Marinerdeano
February 17, 2024, 9:30pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

How do you know it’s not a Vanity Project? Do you personally know the owners and have discussed this with them? Has someone told you who has direct knowledge of why they bought the club?

If not stop posting until you have a credible source supporting your statements.

Deep analysis this. 'Vanity Project'. What even does that mean? I would take it to be successful and feel personally good about it. Well I'd be happy with that then. Success came quickly. Bumpy patches happen. Stockwood has always been open about using the football club as a platform to boost the wider community, mindset and culture. All for that. People moan about scotch eggs. Get real, whilst on the pitch it's been bumpy recently, based on a fans survey BP improvements have been obvious and incremental. Fanzone, upper sightlines, food. Fans were asked and these things were delivered. I just think some are so keen to jump on 'wokeism', 'vanity project', 'social capitalism', 'happy clappers' as soon as the opportunity arises. This is perhaps the biggest decision JS and AP have to make though. Follow your initial instincts or act with risk and haste. Personally, I think that should be it for Artell. You can't go into home games knowing you probably have to score 3 for a draw. For whatever reason, it just isn't happening after a promising start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 412
mariner91
February 17, 2024, 9:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,746
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Marinerdeano

Deep analysis this. 'Vanity Project'. What even does that mean? I would take it to be successful and feel personally good about it. Well I'd be happy with that then. Success came quickly. Bumpy patches happen. Stockwood has always been open about using the football club as a platform to boost the wider community, mindset and culture. All for that. People moan about scotch eggs. Get real, whilst on the pitch it's been bumpy recently, based on a fans survey BP improvements have been obvious and incremental. Fanzone, upper sightlines, food. Fans were asked and these things were delivered. I just think some are so keen to jump on 'wokeism', 'vanity project', 'social capitalism', 'happy clappers' as soon as the opportunity arises. This is perhaps the biggest decision JS and AP have to make though. Follow your initial instincts or act with risk and haste. Personally, I think that should be it for Artell. You can't go into home games knowing you probably have to score 3 for a draw. For whatever reason, it just isn't happening after a promising start.

There is absolutely no doubt that the club has improved off the field and for that I am very grateful for what they've done. Equally there is no doubt that there are some who are almost willing them to fail because they don't like Stockwood's politics. To each their own but that's slightly pathetic.

However, this is their first big test and they've clearly dropped a clanger appointing Artell and believing that he can get this below par squad playing some passing football akin to Buckley's first two stints in charge. They need to take action quickly because it's quite clear that Artell will take us down. A third relegation to non-league could be terminal for the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 412
MuddyWaters
February 17, 2024, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Marinerdeano

Let’s be honest here.

The new owners came in and, courtesy of a series of amazing games, got a promotion at the first roll of the dice. We were told that we were going to see the club developed as a business, see facilities improved or replaced and a better match day experience.

So, let’s have a look at that. Barring better food choices, what has really improved? Yes, we’ve got more back room staff but that must impact the wage bill but we have no new training ground, we’re told that we’re going to be at BP for the foreseeable future and our much vaunted recruitment looks laughable.

Incremental improvement? Not for me.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 412
BraStrap
February 17, 2024, 9:38pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 1
Mariners Trust seems very quiet. On the verge of relegation but they only seem to communicate when their bar is open. Shouldn't the trust comment on the manager situation? Did they have any say in Artell appointment?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 412
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 17, 2024, 9:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Marinerdeano

It was sarcasm aimed at B&W Bear who insists on total accuracy in respect of any opinions included in respective posts. I’m sure they bought the club for the right reasons but it’s becoming increasingly evident that financially it’s a far expensive investment then they expected and managerially its way out of their comfort zone and levels of expertise. The next three months will probably one of the biggest learning curve and challenge they’ve ever experienced.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 412
42 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.