Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

To the Owners (merged)

This thread currently has 31,142 views. Print
42 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GibMariner
February 18, 2024, 9:48am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -964
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from pen penfras

Is the business better run? Last season Stockwood claimed he had to put in a million. We had record season ticket sales and an FA Cup quarter final. We made profits under Fenty with a lot less income. The improvements to the ground etc are worth nowhere near 1.5 million that it'd have to be to account for all that money.

If things were miles better either football or infrastructure wise, I'd say you're right. But to spend this much more money on a team that's just as bad and facilities that are marginally improved does not say good business to me. If it truly has cost so much then you have to question the ability to negotiate a good deal.

They're creating a monster that needs external funding to survive. And from what I hear, they don't want to supply that funding anymore.

Monster!!! Spot on and the CEO upped and off having ripped the club to bits. Values my bottom.
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 412
stevethefish
February 18, 2024, 9:54am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +788
Gold Stars: 86
Exactly why I offered to try and help the club commercially in my post last week as well as giving a few easy freebies to fishy friends this week to try and cheer people up.

I feel it, I smell it, I see it. We are in a very very difficult spot, This was exacerbated with 10 family members who are season ticket holders who live in Grimsby who say - no way are they buying next season.

The world has changed since they took over and simply more money is needed. This money needs to come from BUSINESS, the fans are pretty maxed out locally. I don't have a silver bullet but I can see the trends and want to genuinely help two people who are really trying, are honourable but have made some mistakes - some self-inflicted too. Everyone makes mistakes but do it with humility.

Whatever financial impact relegation had previously, it will be amplified with a much higher cost base (or massive redundancies) and be more painful.

Avoiding relegation is the only thing that needs to be achieved now. 2024 is a wasted and very expensive year. It's done, cant' change it.

We do not need to self implode and everyone has a responsibility in that - players, staff, board and fans.

Look forward and trust them to recover and learn.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 412
lew chaterleys lover
February 18, 2024, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,755
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimRob

It's money well spent if it keeps us up. The prize for being in this division next season is considerable. It would be gut wrenching to get relegated at any time but to miss out on the funding from the new tv deal will be terrible.

They can  just pretend Conteh was released if it makes them feel better.

They would surely have put some clauses in the contract so we don't need to pay the full amount? Something like if you keep conceding more than 5 goals at home you are only entitled to a small settlement?
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 412
RonMariner
February 18, 2024, 9:58am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
At the very least I think the current situation merits a statement from the owners. The team seems in complete disarray.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 412
chaos33
February 18, 2024, 9:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,998
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from GibMariner

Monster!!! Spot on and the CEO upped and off having ripped the club to bits. Values my bottom.

Having ripped the club to bits?! When? Where?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 412
davmariner
February 18, 2024, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,962
Gold Stars: 79
Did anyone see Stockwood or Pettit at the game?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 412
jamesgtfc
February 18, 2024, 10:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190

They would surely have put some clauses in the contract so we don't need to pay the full amount? Something like if you keep conceding more than 5 goals at home you are only entitled to a small settlement?

I would certainly expect there to be a clause that it costs us nothing if he takes us down. Hopefully there is one that it costs us nothing/very little if PPG at any point falls below 1.0.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 412
MuddyWaters
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from stevethefish
Exactly why I offered to try and help the club commercially in my post last week as well as giving a few easy freebies to fishy friends this week to try and cheer people up.

I feel it, I smell it, I see it. We are in a very very difficult spot, This was exacerbated with 10 family members who are season ticket holders who live in Grimsby who say - no way are they buying next season.

The world has changed since they took over and simply more money is needed. This money needs to come from BUSINESS, the fans are pretty maxed out locally. I don't have a silver bullet but I can see the trends and want to genuinely help two people who are really trying, are honourable but have made some mistakes - some self-inflicted too. Everyone makes mistakes but do it with humility.

Whatever financial impact relegation had previously, it will be amplified with a much higher cost base (or massive redundancies) and be more painful.

Avoiding relegation is the only thing that needs to be achieved now. 2024 is a wasted and very expensive year. It's done, cant' change it.

We do not need to self implode and everyone has a responsibility in that - players, staff, board and fans.

Look forward and trust them to recover and learn.

See what you did there!! Very good.

On a serious note, I agree, I don't see any point spending hard earned cash on something that has stopped being enjoyable. I looked at yesterday's team sheet and the midfield had humiliation written all over it.

Personal opinion is that Stockwood and Pettit have maxxed out on improving the business and not invested enough on the pitch. The scoreline on a Saturday afternoon/Tuesday night is what keeps the customers happy not whether or not the Under 8's have a lead development coach. I know that's the future - I get it - but, unless the first team performs, we won't afford a youth set up at all.
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 412
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33

Having ripped the club to bits?! When? Where?

Crisis time always brings out the unhinged.
Reply: 128 - 412
Swansea_Mariner
February 18, 2024, 10:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from pen penfras

Is the business better run? Last season Stockwood claimed he had to put in a million. We had record season ticket sales and an FA Cup quarter final. We made profits under Fenty with a lot less income. The improvements to the ground etc are worth nowhere near 1.5 million that it'd have to be to account for all that money.

If things were miles better either football or infrastructure wise, I'd say you're right. But to spend this much more money on a team that's just as bad and facilities that are marginally improved does not say good business to me. If it truly has cost so much then you have to question the ability to negotiate a good deal.

They're creating a monster that needs external funding to survive. And from what I hear, they don't want to supply that funding anymore.

You'd have to hazard a guess at the staffing structure which must be bloated to suck up so much football fortune, which we've had a lot of in such a short period.

We sold Pollock, Grist, McAtee and Conteh, we've had the Dembele sell on. We've had a once in 50 years cup run and two booming years for season ticket sales, far far higher than ever seen before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 412
42 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.