Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

To the Owners (merged)

This thread currently has 31,154 views. Print
42 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
February 18, 2024, 10:09am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,448
Gold Stars: 114

They would surely have put some clauses in the contract so we don't need to pay the full amount? Something like if you keep conceding more than 5 goals at home you are only entitled to a small settlement?

You'd hope so but don't forget we approached him so you would expect favourable terms. Given the previous manager was sacked it would seem unlikely to have any clauses so early. Maybe there is a release clause for relegation. Too little too late though.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 130 - 412
JK47
February 18, 2024, 10:12am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +221
Gold Stars: 3
In his "welcome" video I remember Artell saying "I get it.  If results aren't good enough then I'm gone.  That's the nature of the job."  Well results aren't good enough ...........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 412
HertsGTFC
February 18, 2024, 10:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from newarkmariner
without doubt Artell must go and go now,i cant believe we are sleepwalking into non league again.the silence from the chuckle brothers is deafeneing.too bothered about effing rainbow flags on balls and B corp bullshite.
if a certain fishmonger was penny pinching like this pair of whoppers all hell would break loose,Pair off bloody charlatans whos vanity project is a bit bigger then they thought,never mind will read all about how football life isnt fair in the leftie shitrag Guardian no doubt.

Utter nonsense

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 412
pen penfras
February 18, 2024, 10:15am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

You'd have to hazard a guess at the staffing structure which must be bloated to suck up so much football fortune, which we've had a lot of in such a short period.

We sold Pollock, Grist, McAtee and Conteh, we've had the Dembele sell on. We've had a once in 50 years cup run and two booming years for season ticket sales, far far higher than ever seen before.

That's my point, it's not suggesting a well run business.

And neither is the Conteh deal either. To sign a player for a fee and give them a low value release clause on a 3 year contract is at best naive and worst negligent. The club had all the risk of losing the fee and 3 years of, presumably, high salary for an untried player in the EFL. So if it went badly we lose a lot financially, but if it goes well then we make a small amount.

It's bad enough looking at that deal from a financial point of view, but you've then got the hole that was left behind of trying to replace your best midfielder, in January when it's notoriously difficult or expensive to sign good players. At the very least, that release clause shouldn't have kicked in until the summer.

No sell on fee for Pollock either. What are all these football consultants doing for their fee?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 412
Northbank Mariner
February 18, 2024, 10:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from pen penfras

And neither is the Conteh deal either. To sign a player for a fee and give them a low value release clause on a 3 year contract is at best naive and worst negligent. The club had all the risk of losing the fee and 3 years of, presumably, high salary for an untried player in the EFL. So if it went badly we lose a lot financially, but if it goes well then we make a small amount.

It's bad enough looking at that deal from a financial point of view, but you've then got the hole that was left behind of trying to replace your best midfielder, in January when it's notoriously difficult or expensive to sign good players. At the very least, that release clause shouldn't have kicked in until the summer.

No sell on fee for Pollock either. What are all these football consultants doing for their fee?

Why don't you just come out and say the owners are crooks, frauds and charlatans and honest John was doing a better job!!...FFS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 412
Zero_as_a_limit
February 18, 2024, 10:19am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +109
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from RonMariner
At the very least I think the current situation merits a statement from the owners. The team seems in complete disarray.

I am optimistic the "radio silence" is because the owners are trying to negotiate terms of exit with Artell.

Must be galling for them to have to give a big payout to someone who has basically failed his probationary period.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 412
ginnywings
February 18, 2024, 10:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I think as regards the owners, at this moment in time they are looking too far ahead to some golden future where we are playing swashbuckling winning football, and are not tackling the here and now, with the distinct possibility that the immediate future is back in non league. Literally fiddling while Rome burns.

Artell has gone from , "we won't go down" and "there is no plan B" to admitting we were being a bit more pragmatic in yesterdays game, and recognising that relegation is a possibility. That has happened inside a week.

I hope the mindset of the owners catching up and today they are discussing an exit package for DA and contacting someone who can get the team to at least look competent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 412
GollyGTFC
February 18, 2024, 10:23am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,054
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from pen penfras

Is the business better run? Last season Stockwood claimed he had to put in a million. We had record season ticket sales and an FA Cup quarter final. We made profits under Fenty with a lot less income. The improvements to the ground etc are worth nowhere near 1.5 million that it'd have to be to account for all that money.

If things were miles better either football or infrastructure wise, I'd say you're right. But to spend this much more money on a team that's just as bad and facilities that are marginally improved does not say good business to me. If it truly has cost so much then you have to question the ability to negotiate a good deal.

They're creating a monster that needs external funding to survive. And from what I hear, they don't want to supply that funding anymore.

In regards to how the business side of the club is run there are several red flags...

* No sponsor for what was once called the Findus Stand for the 2nd season running.

* The club have never secured any naming rights for the Main Stand, Pontoon Stand or the Osmond Stand. Is there another club at our level without any of the stands having a sponsor?

* The club have been looking for naming rights for Blundell Park for years and have failed. 13 out of the 24 grounds in L2 have naming rights agreements.

* We only have one shirt sponsor who appears on the front and back of all 3 shirts and the back of all 3 shorts. We don't have a shirt sleeve sponsor at all. Does that offer the best possible income stream from on kit sponsorship?

If we asked the owners no doubt they'd say that nobody has paid the asking price for all these missed revenue streams. But it's like selling a house, it;s worth what somebody is willing to pay for it and not a penny more.

It all points to nothing having actually changed behind the scenes at the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 137 - 412
LH
February 18, 2024, 10:29am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,596
Gold Stars: 175
I seem to remember the owners saying recently (fans forum?) that there wasn’t any investors lurking around that time and that they weren’t looking for any. Why? We’ve got the best home gates we’ve had in decades and money from the cup run last season and we still can’t compete. Golly brings up a great point about back of shirt sponsorships too. I’ve always thought it was amateurish to have Young’s and myenergi on the front and back of the kits.
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 412
lew chaterleys lover
February 18, 2024, 10:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,757
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from pen penfras

I do agree and I have been amazed at their naivety thus far. The deal with McAtee was the same - basically gave our best player away whilst hoping to forge good relationships with Luton. Luton aren't bothered about us, and never will be.

We are not hearing much about Gareth Jennings any more and all the "expertise " he was going to bring to the organisation. Very little of what they do or say seems grounded enough in the dog eat dog of professional football.
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 412
42 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.