Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst in or out?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Which side of the fence are you on?
In
Out
  View Results 306 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Hurst in or out?

This thread currently has 16,322 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 25, 2023, 1:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from pontoonlew
The silence from the club today is deafening, it felt inevitable he’d be sacked last night and now it feels inevitable he’ll be given yet another lifeline.

It must be brilliant knowing not matter what you do in your job, you’re almost certain to remain in it.

Think I recall JS stating, in one of his earlier interviews, that he didn’t see the Manager after games so as to keep immediate emotion on a performance from affecting any discussion I.e. to avoid an over reaction to a poor result.

Clearly discussions will be ongoing and for all we know they could be in the process of agreeing his severance package before any announcement is made.

Listening to Hurst last night he referred to a discussion held last week with members of the board and then made comments about the fact they must do whatever they feel is right for the Club.

Personally I would be surprised if he gets another game in charge but, for the 75% wanting change, they may be sussing out potential replacements before doing anything so Donny may be his last chance. Hope his family don’t make the short journey to attend as it’s likely to be pretty volatile if we go down to yet another defeat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 215
gtfc_chris
October 25, 2023, 1:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,511
Gold Stars: 116

It's human nature Chris. A friend of mine is a season ticket holder at Man City and is bemoaning the fact they've lost a couple of games.

That is the attitude to have to be honest; perfection should be the aim even if it is unattainable.

True but context has to be placed. Man City are potentially the best team in the world right now. It doesn't mean they will win every game but they are to all intents and purposes are going to be competing on every stage they play.

I understand the fact that at our level everyone is largely within the same sphere of ability, but there are outliers, such as Wrexham and Stockport who have some cash behind them. That said, how close to perfection do you consider acceptable? I don't disagree with the premise at all, nor would any manager, PH included.

My dig is more based on how high fans place the expectations. Our current position I would suggest falls below expectations which I know fans agree hence the concern and questions around PH job. But who said we're right in those expectations and we're not exactly where we should be? Matter of opinion, the popular one being that 20th place is too low a level. How about 12th and a steady, sometimes inspiring, sometimes mundane level? Play-off skirting team? Automatic promotion?

My personal view, I predicted an 8th place finish which in my opinion was finishing above expectations given our modern history. On a timescale of upward trajectory, I would say attaining a play off place is something we should aspire to in 2025/26, with promotion by 2028/29. I think that is reasonable, attainable with everything before that designed to provide the foundation for improvement every year.

You (or any other fan) may think that the play offs should have been this year. You may have thought next but with promotion as an expectation, no first time failure allowed. Hoping to push those expectations sooner should - as you say - be inherent from all. My caution/concern is that our (fans) desire to keep improving might not happen at the rate that is realistic, or where an improvement is made, be that starting at Doncaster this week with/without PH, or next season with new additions in all areas, fans will accelerate their expectations beyond the pace the reality can maintain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 215
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 25, 2023, 1:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
[quote=140962

My personal view, I predicted an 8th place finish which in my opinion was finishing above expectations given our modern history. On a timescale of upward trajectory, I would say attaining a play off place is something we should aspire to in 2025/26, with promotion by 2028/29. I think that is reasonable, attainable with everything before that designed to provide the foundation for improvement every year.

You (or any other fan) may think that the play offs should have been this year. You may have thought next but with promotion as an expectation, no first time failure allowed. Hoping to push those expectations sooner should - as you say - be inherent from all. My caution/concern is that our (fans) desire to keep improving might not happen at the rate that is realistic, or where an improvement is made, be that starting at Doncaster this week with/without PH, or next season with new additions in all areas, fans will accelerate their expectations beyond the pace the reality can maintain. [/quote]

I believe a number of us older fans were hoping for a somewhat faster timescale as we might well not be here in 28/29!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 215
TAGG
October 25, 2023, 1:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 123614

I don't know what 'silence from the club is deafening' means when the club is pretty much silent most of the time.  The fact that there is still 5 months left of the season to play out gives PH time to get to the bottom of the League problem currently, and fix it.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 215
October 25, 2023, 1:39pm
Guest User
Quoted from pontoonlew

Even if we looked remotely capable of that, you’re talking about a scenario where we play this season out believing we can avoid relegation, that is absolutely unacceptable to me.

It also involves him getting yet another transfer window, after cocking up every single one since our return to the EFL

No, that is not what I am talking about.  Initially moving away from the relegation spots is vital, but putting together enough wins/draws to climb higher up the League is also important, hence why I mentioned getting some wins and some draws into the mix as well.   I truly believe that once we start winning games again, we will start to climb the table, and I hope it is with PH still the GTFC manager.  No team has a divine right to win the League, or get into the playoffs, we have to work hard to get there, and I believe that, with the addition of some pace into the team in January, that we will improve the squad and continue to climb the League table.

Reply: 84 - 215
chrissy
October 25, 2023, 1:39pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Quoted from ska face
I honestly don’t get the dread and fear around appointing a new manager. Jumping the gun a bit, admittedly, but I’d see it as a positive, a clean slate for the whole squad, a fresh approach and new ideas.  

This would/could be the first appointment not made by Fenty for going on 20 years. I’m failing to remember a manager that hadn’t been tainted with the stain of the former leadership for one reason or another - cheap option, easy option, Holloway’s bizarre investment plans & ulterior motives, returning losers, short-termism, etc.

I can’t remember a time where all the fans were united behind a manager and board - there always seemed to be an issue somewhere, whether it was living under the yoke of the old regime or a negative view of the incoming manager.

We’re under new ownership with a new approach and decent prospects. A chance to freshen things up should be relished by all.

MK. Dons started well under Williamson last night won 4-1 home to Bradford.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 215
GollyGTFC
October 25, 2023, 1:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,054
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from pontoonlew
The silence from the club today is deafening, it felt inevitable he’d be sacked last night and now it feels inevitable he’ll be given yet another lifeline.

It must be brilliant knowing not matter what you do in your job, you’re almost certain to remain in it.

I don’t think the club opens until 11AM the day after a night match. I’m sure somebody can confirm this?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 86 - 215
buckstown
October 25, 2023, 1:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,239
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from 123614
I vote in, but that vote, and all the others on here mean absolutely nothing.  Do you think the owners read and take notice and act on what a very small minority of town fans say on a public forum?

I sure they don’t read this forum. They will however listen to the boos at half/full time. In addition they’ll also be looking at the attendance figures in some detail. When fans start voting with their feet in reasonable numbers the message will be loud and clear that the customer is unhappy with the product
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 215
GrimPol
October 25, 2023, 1:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from grimsby pete

Whatever the outcome Hurst deserves some respect we should all keep our opinions polite. Yes I want him gone
but instead of calling him I thank him for all his hard work and just say it has not worked for us this time.You only have to look at our home form since we have been back in the league  that alone deserves the sack.
Sorry to see you go Paul but like Buckley mk3 you have been here too long go now before it gets really toxic on here as I said you don't deserve that.

Quite right. Personal attacks are not to be tolerated.  Racism and Personal attacks should be driven out of this forum, and elsewhere.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 215
Chrisblor
October 25, 2023, 2:10pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,960
Gold Stars: 239
Last night I wanted him sacked at half-time but now mainly in response to the volume of unnecessarily opprobrious tweets and comments from the mouth breathing section of our fanbase i'm learning towards giving him a bit longer to turn it around. I just don't understand why so many of them feel the need to be so rude and classless about Hurst when he has (in the past, not now) achieved more success than any manager not named Alan Buckley at this club in the last 40 years. Yes you can want a change of manager (and i'm about 90% of the way to feeling the same myself), but is there really any need to be a vile sharp object about it?

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 215
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst in or out?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.