Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst in or out?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Which side of the fence are you on?
In
Out
  View Results 306 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Hurst in or out?

This thread currently has 16,078 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc_chris
October 27, 2023, 9:16am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

It’s not our role to find the replacement and I doubt that the majority of the posters follow the range of clubs and coaches from where applications may come from. I said previously had you heard of the Ipswich and Plymouth Managers before their appointment or even Michael Jolley for that matter. Saw Graham Westley interviewed on Under The Cosh, and he’s trying to get back into football but said there are around 100 applications for every vacancy from experienced managers, ex-players, coaches at different levels of the game, other countries etc. etc.

There are plenty of qualified professionals who will want the job the secret is in selecting the right one, something that has proved very difficult in the past, and that’s for the board to decide and I accept that isn’t easy and appointing someone who is universally accepted by the fans even more difficult.

Doesn’t mean to say it’s impossible or shouldn’t happen.

Agree with all of this but there are some I'd love to nail their colours at the time of appointment.

Over the last few days, I think this board has mainly been full of balanced views, some rational and reasonable argument and the majority, even those who want PH out are discussing it with respect and dignity to the man and his achievements.

The small number who write with such clear distinction that their view is without doubt correct, talk using such terms as "anyone who's watched football can see" I'd love to get them to share their 'expert' opinion on how the new manager will do and what benefits he'll bring etc etc.

It's trivial and almost petty really, but football is such an opinionated sport and that's what makes it beautiful. What I like to see and what I find enjoyable will be different to the person left and right of me, opinions of players vary as of course managers do too. We can only really judge and share opinion and thoughts once we see the next guy (whenever that happens) in action and they'll be varied as they are at present. But for people like Yoda, Denni and a few others who "told you he was a crap manager", I'd genuinely like them to state their position at the beginning rather than bullishly quote down the line that "they knew all along".

Or better still, with their certainty of judgement appoint the manager themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 215
It Bites
October 27, 2023, 9:39am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,209
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from gtfc_chris

Agree with all of this but there are some I'd love to nail their colours at the time of appointment.

Over the last few days, I think this board has mainly been full of balanced views, some rational and reasonable argument and the majority, even those who want PH out are discussing it with respect and dignity to the man and his achievements.

The small number who write with such clear distinction that their view is without doubt correct, talk using such terms as "anyone who's watched football can see" I'd love to get them to share their 'expert' opinion on how the new manager will do and what benefits he'll bring etc etc.

It's trivial and almost petty really, but football is such an opinionated sport and that's what makes it beautiful. What I like to see and what I find enjoyable will be different to the person left and right of me, opinions of players vary as of course managers do too. We can only really judge and share opinion and thoughts once we see the next guy (whenever that happens) in action and they'll be varied as they are at present. But for people like Yoda, Denni and a few others who "told you he was a crap manager", I'd genuinely like them to state their position at the beginning rather than bullishly quote down the line that "they knew all along".

Or better still, with their certainty of judgement appoint the manager themselves.

It’s called conversation , having an opinion and just blowing off steam . I don’t think anyone who posts on here really believe s they know more than a professional football manager but it doesn’t hurt to offer our thoughts . If a player or manager is stupid enough to read a forum and worse still take some of it in then they’re in the wrong job.
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 215
gtfc_chris
October 27, 2023, 10:09am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from It Bites

It’s called conversation , having an opinion and just blowing off steam . I don’t think anyone who posts on here really believe s they know more than a professional football manager but it doesn’t hurt to offer our thoughts . If a player or manager is stupid enough to read a forum and worse still take some of it in then they’re in the wrong job.

Like I said, a lot of what has been said has been good quality conversation and debate, I stated that.

I never said anyone knows more than a professional manager and I certainly didn't say people can't have their thoughts.

There is a thread titled "I told you he was a crap manager". Its a self-glorifying thread to highlight to all that the poster KNEW it wouldn't work. NL promotion = ignored. FA Cup QF and a solid league finish = ignored. A bad start to this season and out crawls the expert who boldly informs us of this warning 3 years ago.

My personal approach to new managers is to wish them the best and hope they do a great job and progress the club. I'm sure 99.9% of fans work in exactly the same way. The post I made was in reference to that very small group who say nothing when a manager arrives, maybe a faint whisper to a friend in the pub, sit back and wait 6 months, a year, 5 years or however long and then quote themselves as the oracle of managerial appointments and how they KNEW it would end badly.

Law of averages (easy PH!) state that the next manager is more likely to fail (enter definition of failure here) than he is succeed. Its the criteria within that failure determines how long he continues. We'd all like to be promoted so that's the aim, that's success. We'll accept failure on that if we look like we're on the cusp. If the football is enjoyable to watch, if we're always close. Until being close isn't enough any more and he moves on. Within that I refer back to my argument, once we reach that point, despite progressing us a level, that small band of people will say that they KNEW it wouldn't work.

I'll say again, I know it's petty but it actually frustrates me when people take pleasure during difficult times with boasts of how they KNEW. Nobody KNOWS how a manager will do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 215
October 27, 2023, 1:01pm
Guest User
Good post.
Reply: 203 - 215
lew chaterleys lover
October 27, 2023, 1:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
The actual answer to the question is IN as he has just given a pre match interview to Matt Dean. I've never heard him sound so relaxed.
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 215
pontoonlew
October 27, 2023, 1:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
The actual answer to the question is IN as he has just given a pre match interview to Matt Dean. I've never heard him sound so relaxed.

Part of the issue though isn’t it? He doesn’t sound like the owners are anywhere near pulling the trigger.

The running theme through the interview is he knows better than us & we’re playing well, when in reality most of us are bored to tears on top of the fact we’re not winning games.

Of course Hurst knows more about what’s going on & he can manage the club much better than any of us, but the absolute denial of what we can all see in front of our eyes really does irk me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 215
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 27, 2023, 2:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from pontoonlew

Part of the issue though isn’t it? He doesn’t sound like the owners are anywhere near pulling the trigger.

The running theme through the interview is he knows better than us & we’re playing well, when in reality most of us are bored to tears on top of the fact we’re not winning games.

Are we ‘boring fans to tears’ though?

I know goals aren’t everything but, in the past 8 league matches, there have been 28 goals scored. That’s an average of 3.5 gpg. In terms of scoring action, that’s positively Darren Day-esque.

Town have been in touch in most of those matches. It’s only really the Wrexham match, when we were two down after 30 mins, that we’ve not been in with a decent chance at half-time.

We’ve scored 11 in the last 7. Pro-rata that for a season and it’s more goals scored than any side in L2 last season.

I’m not trying to defend the passing or the defending. We have generally been reactive, slow to press and as stodgy as pavlova, so I’m not defending that either.

I just don’t see how people can say they are bored though? I’m bored of not winning. But I’m not bored of watching Town.

With our slapstick defending it surely can’t be boring?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 215
pontoonlew
October 27, 2023, 3:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177

I know goals aren’t everything but, in the past 8 league matches, there have been 28 goals scored. That’s an average of 3.5 gpg. In terms of scoring action, that’s positively Darren Day-esque.

Town have been in touch in most of those matches. It’s only really the Wrexham match, when we were two down after 30 mins, that we’ve not been in with a decent chance at half-time.

We’ve scored 11 in the last 7. Pro-rata that for a season and it’s more goals scored than any side in L2 last season.

I’m not trying to defend the passing or the defending. We have generally been reactive, slow to press and as stodgy as pavlova, so I’m not defending that either.

I just don’t see how people can say they are bored though? I’m bored of not winning. But I’m not bored of watching Town.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Hurst is right when he says we’re scoring enough goals. I think we are, but from what I’m watching our build up play is a really tough watch. It’s slow and laboured & nothing much has changed in that sense for 3-4 years.

I get that it’s mostly entertaining to win but I’m absolutely certain football isn’t supposed to be this hard to watch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 215
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 27, 2023, 4:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from pontoonlew

I get that it’s mostly entertaining to win but I’m absolutely certain football isn’t supposed to be this hard to watch.

Yeah, but even being several goals up against the likes of Luton and Plymouth still wasn’t easy to watch. But I take your point…😊
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 215
HerveJosse
October 27, 2023, 7:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144

[/b]We’ve Scored 11 in the last 7. Pro-rata that for a season and it’s more goals scored than any side in L2 last season. [b]

No wonder we are in the excrement if that’s how we are using data.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 209 - 215
22 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst in or out?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.