Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst in or out?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Which side of the fence are you on?
In
Out
  View Results 306 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Hurst in or out?

This thread currently has 16,072 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 26, 2023, 7:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from fishcake63
Ok then the board listen to the minority/ majority whatever it maybe , just a simple question who are we going to attract sitting where we are in lge 2 ? we all have an opinion but please put some names to this for me if you could

It’s not our role to find the replacement and I doubt that the majority of the posters follow the range of clubs and coaches from where applications may come from. I said previously had you heard of the Ipswich and Plymouth Managers before their appointment or even Michael Jolley for that matter. Saw Graham Westley interviewed on Under The Cosh, and he’s trying to get back into football but said there are around 100 applications for every vacancy from experienced managers, ex-players, coaches at different levels of the game, other countries etc. etc.

There are plenty of qualified professionals who will want the job the secret is in selecting the right one, something that has proved very difficult in the past, and that’s for the board to decide and I accept that isn’t easy and appointing someone who is universally accepted by the fans even more difficult.

Doesn’t mean to say it’s impossible or shouldn’t happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 215
MuddyWaters
October 26, 2023, 8:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from fishcake63
Ok then the board listen to the minority/ majority whatever it maybe , just a simple question who are we going to attract sitting where we are in lge 2 ? we all have an opinion but please put some names to this for me if you could

There’s loads of younger managers and assistants who are on an upward career progression. Given the more proactive nature of our owners and a positive recent history, we should be a lot better prospect than we were when Holloway left.
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 215
Meza
October 26, 2023, 8:06pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from heppy88

You make some interesting points, although quite a few of the Fishy posters, who are on the fence or ardent Hurst supporters I believe are over 50.

I’m genuinely interested in those supporting Hurst if they like/enjoy what is currently on display?

I would also ask, if they are content in keeping the status quo with the current situation, what would it take for them to change their opinions of Hurst staying at the club?

I read someone earlier post, that although they want Hurst to go, they would want him to stay if we were relegated. Which was also an interesting point of view which a part of me agreed with! I guess what that suggests is Hurst is an excellent non league manager but I’m struggling to see how that can be replicated in the league. Yes I know about Shrewsbury, but he has not had any consistent success/impact in the EFL.

I like Hurst as a person and manager, love the chants at the end of the game (when we win) with his first pumps..  We all know what type of manager PH is he's been with us for a while.  For me i'm not a big fan of unnecessary rotation and PH has said many times he like to keep his players on their toes, and i understand he prefers to use his squad, when in my eyes (which means naff all) I prefer for the players to fight for the shirt, maybe because I was spoilt watching Buckley ball and the way he handled his players.  I can't see how putting in a good display (in the players eyes) to then be out the team the next week because PH prefers fresh legs (maybe changing formation just to accommodate them) would not damage the players confidence irrespective if "You are meant to be a professional" as we all have feelings at the end of the day.  PH can also be a bit cautious and I just wish he would let the shackles off.  From the outside it looks like PH transfer policy as other have mentioned tends to go to players he has worked with before, live locally to him or are a certain character types which can only reduce his pool of players further.

Part of me feels maybe it is time to part ways and hope for a manager that prefers to attack his opposition when at home than be a bit negative with 5 at the back etc.  Then I think about all the upheaval a new manager brings and the cost of that to the club (ok its not really my concern) and wider affect on the club (stability) and who would be best to replace PH if was to go, so many names all been on the roundabout.  I know who I'd like to be Towns manager if PH was let go and I'm sure others have their own opinion on who they would bring in.

So a bit on the fence at the minute, also taking into account the injuries PH has had, as well as a difficult run in at the start of the season playing teams in top 7 or have come into form, is it just a blip in form and confidence and hoping to kick on at Donny.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 215
TAGG
October 26, 2023, 8:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,959
Gold Stars: 126
Has he gone yet??

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 215
chaos33
October 26, 2023, 8:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There’s loads of younger managers and assistants who are on an upward career progression. Given the more proactive nature of our owners and a positive recent history, we should be a lot better prospect than we were when Holloway left.

‘Loads’ that could be EFL managers? Can you point to a few and share a handful of strong cases?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 215
Teestogreen
October 26, 2023, 8:45pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Teestogreen
In the words of our former trainer Fraser, to our strike force of Wilson and Pyke -
‘We’re doomed’
😂
Not
UTM

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....grimsby-town-3286526

The current people have to make history - like John Fraser - done a very good job so far
UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 215
hampshiremariner
October 26, 2023, 9:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
I thought we’d turned the corner and was very optimistic at the start of the season. A lot of posts on here claimed that we had a better squad than last season but the recent results have been very disappointing. Once you start losing like this, then confidence goes and it is hard to get it back. There’s too much chopping and changing in team selection and we always seem to have loads of injuries. I hate the way clubs like us have to operate. A few on contracts but without loans we would be in trouble. Loans are temporary and the quality varies from season to season. How can a club like Stevenage be absolute rubbish three or four years ago but now in L1? One position that worries me is the goalkeeping situation. Crocombe was OK (not brilliant) but left on 30 June, leaving limited time to get someone really good. I would rather Hurst stayed but results need to pick up and soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 215
ska face
October 26, 2023, 9:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from chaos33

‘Loads’ that could be EFL managers? Can you point to a few and share a handful of strong cases?

Karl Robinson, Luke Garrard, Cowley, Pete Wild, Leam Richardson, Neil Ardley…
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 215
davmariner
October 26, 2023, 9:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from ska face

Karl Robinson, Luke Garrard, Cowley, Pete Wild, Leam Richardson, Neil Ardley…

Neal Ardley whose York side just lost 4-0 at the weekend. The rest aren’t coming to Grimsby.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 215
ska face
October 26, 2023, 9:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Ok then mate we’ll just stick with this same manager for the rest of eternity. Enjoy!

Makes me wonder how, or why, some of you crawl out of bed each morning with this defeatist, no-ambition mentality.
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 215
22 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst in or out?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.