Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst in or out?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Which side of the fence are you on?
In
Out
  View Results 306 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Hurst in or out?

This thread currently has 16,076 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
davmariner
October 24, 2023, 11:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Sticking with Hurst for now. We’re much more likely to be sucked into a relegation fight with the turmoil of bringing a new manager and the subsequent tearing everything up regarding the team. We need to pick up points in the next month, and we’re much more likely to do that with Hurst, given it’s his team, than without him.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 215
ginnywings
October 24, 2023, 11:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
I'm just feeling gutted for him. Again tonight, we had 60% possession, 18 shots to their 9, with 6 on target to their 4, and still we lose. It seems that every speculative shot or cross somehow ends up in our net. Hurst must be tearing his hair out.

I see Accrington won away at Wimbledon tonight, scoring 4 goals, and they didn't look anything special to me.

We have strikers scoring goals, but the defence has gone to pieces, which is most unlike a Hurst team. Mullarkey and Rodgers looked really good acquisitions at the start of the season, but they look shot now.

We could do with Eastwood breaking his finger or something, so we can get an emergency loan keeper in.

I desperately want to see PH succeed, but the chop is getting closer by the game. If that's his last game, I can't argue with the decision.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 215
Azimuth
October 24, 2023, 11:36pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from davmariner
Sticking with Hurst for now. We’re much more likely to be sucked into a relegation fight with the turmoil of bringing a new manager and the subsequent tearing everything up regarding the team. We need to pick up points in the next month, and we’re much more likely to do that with Hurst, given it’s his team, than without him.

We have already been sucked in and make no mistake we are in a relegation fight and look nailed on for thr conference with the current managment team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 215
davmariner
October 24, 2023, 11:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Azimuth

We have already been sucked in and make no mistake we are in a relegation fight and look nailed on for thr conference with the current managment team.

We’re still only just a quarter of the way through the season. A new manager will still have to play over two months with a team not necessarily suited to how they want to play. This is a team that’s not picking up enough points, but only by fine margins. Tearing everything up is a huge risk, which the owners I’m sure are aware of.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 215
Tommy
October 24, 2023, 11:57pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from davmariner

We’re still only just a quarter of the way through the season. A new manager will still have to play over two months with a team not necessarily suited to how they want to play. This is a team that’s not picking up enough points, but only by fine margins. Tearing everything up is a huge risk, which the owners I’m sure are aware of.

But currently, PH doesn't have them playing how he wanted them to play, and probably how the players wanted to play when they signed.
He built a squad and prepared the playing style to fit the new players he was bringing in, only to rip that plan up and revert to last seasons style after no more than a couple of months of the season.

I get that it's a gamble/risk to change the manager, but after 3 wins in 15, allowing this to continue is a bigger risk.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 215
heppy88
October 25, 2023, 12:05am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
No doubt about it, Paul appears to be an honest hard working bloke. At the last fans forum we saw the human side of Paul with his dry sense of humour and I for one warmed to him. But it’s time for him to move on. The fans have turned. I would have hated to see him leave on a sour note after the two promotions and that FA cup run, but I fear it’s too late. After listening to the Humberside interview I think he knows it too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 215
davmariner
October 25, 2023, 12:09am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from heppy88
No doubt about it, Paul appears to be an honest hard working bloke. At the last fans forum we saw the human side of Paul with his dry sense of humour and I for one warmed to him. But it’s time for him to move on. The fans have turned. I would have hated to see him leave on a sour note after the two promotions and that FA cup run, but I fear it’s too late. After listening to the Humberside interview I think he knows it too.

Fans are fickle and to be honest, decision making at a football club should not be based on fans moaning and groaning. We’d be sacking managers every few games if we did.

I’m genuinely curious, if say, a new manager came in and lost the first 6 games, would fans be calling for their head? And if so, should they be listened to?

My point is, the owners need to weigh up the bigger picture. It’s clearly a bad time at the minute, but who at this point is best placed to turn things around. Hurst hasn’t suddenly become a bad manager overnight, so they can be forgiven for giving him a bit more time with the team he’s assembled.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 215
TwoLeftFeet
October 25, 2023, 12:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,082
Gold Stars: 18
Thanks for everything Paul, behind Buckley he is the most competent manager we have had in last 30 years in my opinion...but think we and possibly Hurst needs a change over to you owners...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 215
heppy88
October 25, 2023, 12:20am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from davmariner

Fans are fickle and to be honest, decision making at a football club should not be based on fans moaning and groaning. We’d be sacking managers every few games if we did.

I’m genuinely curious, if say, a new manager came in and lost the first 6 games, would fans be calling for their head? And if so, should they be listened to?

My point is, the owners need to weigh up the bigger picture. It’s clearly a bad time at the minute, but who at this point is best placed to turn things around. Hurst hasn’t suddenly become a bad manager overnight, so they can be forgiven for giving him a bit more time with the team he’s assembled.

Yep fans are fickle, emotional and can change on a whim. But I think there is something deeper at play. I think there has always been an under current of fans who simply didn’t warm to him, but gave him the benefit of doubt due to his promotion/FA cup success. But apart from results they are turning because the games are tedious to watch. Fans are more accepting if they can see the players playing with grit and determination, backed up by a clear game plan. But this has been sadly lacking. Of course it’s a risk changing a manager. But there is no reason that risk cannot pay dividends and I would argue that this stage of the season is the ideal time to do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 215
grimsby pete
October 25, 2023, 1:15am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
The poll at the moment is 80% want him out.

That's from 160 fans on here which is a tiny percentage of the 6,000+ who normally attend games.

Whatever happens it had better happen in the next 2 to 3 weeks or the new man will not have time to access who deserves to stay and who doesn't.

If on the other hand we start winning a few games he is safe until the end of the season.

If we don't have a decent cup run and struggle just keeping out of the drop zone the ST numbers will be well down making it more difficult getting decent players in the summer.

So will the board decide to stick or twist ?

Time will tell.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 215
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst in or out?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.