Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst in or out?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Which side of the fence are you on?
In
Out
  View Results 306 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Hurst in or out?

This thread currently has 16,337 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
October 26, 2023, 10:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,053
Gold Stars: 391
I think it's fair to observe that most of the recent signings have not improved the squad to the level expected despite the use of data and dedicated recruitment personnel. In the main, the backline has missed the marshalling that Waterfall brought to the side and there is no strong leadership without his lead. Too many of the new players went straight into the side creating an imbalance and are still playing like strangers. Like many others, I believe we have a goalkeeper issue that needs serious address. Also, I don't believe that the current backline are sufficiently skilled to play out from the back and play far too many balls backward thus inviting pressure. Would a change of manager address these matters - there's no guarantee. The prime example is Nigel Atkin at Tranmere Rovers, a rated big name but in a worse position than town. I accept that the team selection is the responsibility of the incumbent manager but poor results are down to that team and whichever way you look at it quite a few are just not fit or responsible enough to be included. Even so-called rated players were released by their previous clubs for a reason. With our backs to the sea and surrounded by rural areas we will never have the wealth required to be a "big" club (only 4% of the population of NE Lincs attend BP at best) so our budget and lure will never attract the best players or managers. Consequently, I don't believe that a change of manager at this point will achieve anything drastic- but a good clear out of the passengers in January might.

I used to think like that but we had decent players when we were in League 2 (the new championship), in fact, one from China as I recall. Look at Barrow, Carlisle. Norwich, Hull, Lincoln, Exeter etc. Whilst we are most reliant on gate income many clubs have more income from their commercial dept, something Town have to develops more.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 215
ska face
October 26, 2023, 10:47am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Rick12
Mainly all money . You could be a unglamourous club with no real history but if you get a rich chairmen come in and he gives you a good salary at all respective levels of the game(in this country and abroad) a lot of players  heads will be turned.Just look at what is happening in Saudi with the vast money players are getting and top level footballers going there eg Neymar Jr, Karim Benzema,Sadio Mane,Riyad Mahrez.

Russel Slade managed to put together a side that challenged for promotion from this league with a worst budget, in worse conditions and under a terrible chairman. The likes of Bolland, Mildenhall, Parkinson and Gary Jones had been released & signed on free transfers. Ciaran Toner & Tom Newey had been relegated from L2 that summer & picked up for nothing. Rob Jones was signed on a free. Michael Reddy was signed for nothing and only joined because Slade begged and pestered him for months on end. Gary Cohen was on loan from Gretna & was playing below the conference north the season before joining us.

The difference was Slade played a system that worked for that squad, and managed to bring the best out of players that had previously struggled either here or elsewhere.

We’re seeing the exact opposite of that at the minute.
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 215
DB
October 26, 2023, 10:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from davmariner

Particularly on such a volatile forum as The Fishy which mostly likely isn’t reflective of the fan base.

I had my fair of ups and downs but I wouldn't call The Fishy Volatile. We certainly like to share our opinions which are sometimes chastised by others, but not volatile in a million years. Not wishing to bring any type of politics into this but Israel/Gaza is volatile.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 215
DB
October 26, 2023, 10:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

It's weird isn't it I voted out but part of me still wants him to stay , turn it around and make a success of it however unlikely that seems .  

It's a heart over head situation , and I suspect it's  maybe the case for others - I genuinely like the bloke
and I think although there is that small minority who had it in for him from the day dot most of us do . Not sure that's reason enough to keep him but I get why people would want to give him a tad longer even though he would be well gone anywhere else long before now probably .

I suppose the worry is that the board feel the same way.

I just hope if the correct and somewhat inevitable decision is made that he is welcomed back to BP in the future with open arms ,much like Buckley is and treated likewise but not as the manager for a 3rd spell .

I agree with the above and while I'd like him to stay I think he has run out of time and games. Longevity managers like Wenger and Ferguson are few and far between and, regrettably, Hurst is not in their category.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 215
gtfc_chris
October 26, 2023, 10:57am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,511
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ska face

Russel Slade managed to put together a side that challenged for promotion from this league with a worst budget, in worse conditions and under a terrible chairman. The likes of Bolland, Mildenhall, Parkinson and Gary Jones had been released & signed on free transfers. Ciaran Toner & Tom Newey had been relegated from L2 that summer & picked up for nothing. Rob Jones was signed on a free. Michael Reddy was signed for nothing and only joined because Slade begged and pestered him for months on end. Gary Cohen was on loan from Gretna & was playing below the conference north the season before joining us.

The difference was Slade played a system that worked for that squad, and managed to bring the best out of players that had previously struggled either here or elsewhere.

We’re seeing the exact opposite of that at the minute.

But let's not forget it was long ball, direct and not exactly entertaining to watch. Highlights the fact that when you're winning and up the league people will forego 'entertainment'. The two ideas aren't joined at the hip, but if we were playing the most exciting football and losing 6-5 every week and found ourselves 20th in L2, would we be saying it's OK because it's entertaining, or does the league position determine our outlook?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 215
pen penfras
October 26, 2023, 10:57am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71

I agree we are not quite as bad as our league position would indicate, but neither are we very good, let's be honest.

Too many poor signings, no set system of play, no urgency, no leadership, no excitement for the fans.

It's obviously entirely up to Stockwood and Co. what direction they take and it could indeed hinge on one great result to get things firing as confidence is a huge thing. I guess they will hold fire for the moment and see what the next game or two brings.

I don't think we're either good or bad. We're much of a muchness with the rest of the league. There's very rarely good teams in this division and I can't remember any of the promoted teams being particularly good last season. The best team I remember was Swindon and they finished level on points with us.

Realistically, if we're winning games then it feels more exciting and everybody's happy. I don't and never did think we'd trouble the playoffs this season, but we're better than where we are. We're missing easy chances and letting in hummers. This is a confidence thing and I think ultimately Hurst will turn it around, whether he's given enough time to do it is the question. He can't argue if he gets sacked and nobody else can. The problem the owners have is that they need to make a decision soon. If a new manager comes in, it needs to be before December to evaluate the squad and plan what is needed. I think a couple of ground out wins and solidifying the defence will be enough to get us up around lower mid table which looks like the best realistic outcome for this season. It's not what anybody wanted, but I think we're creating more than last season so should be better if we weren't giving away stupid goals every game.

I'm not really Hurst in or Hurst out. Probably leaning towards out because I think by and large the team has performed below par for the entire time he's been back, but the last 2 seasons have got it right at the most important times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 215
Rick12
October 26, 2023, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ska face

Take on board what your saying and thanks for the post . Ive heard similar from the above point from past players who have played as well. Certain managers /coaches can get the best out of players by what they say and do . A player can be dipping in form and the management steps in and roasts them which is a kick up the bum that  by the players own admission  need. Admit this doesn't work for everyone  though.Hence a time for praise and also a time for constructive criticism as and when the need arises.  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 215
The Caterham Mariner
October 26, 2023, 11:04am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +91
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from DB

I had my fair of ups and downs but I wouldn't call The Fishy Volatile. We certainly like to share our opinions which are sometimes chastised by others, but not volatile in a million years. Not wishing to bring any type of politics into this but Israel/Gaza is volatile.

volatile ...= Strongly opinionated  points of views passionately presented.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 215
Bigdog
October 26, 2023, 12:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Two years ago today, we took more to Wealdstone for a midweek night game than we took to Stockport on Saturday. That's exactly where we are as a fanbase..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 215
October 26, 2023, 12:16pm
Guest User
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Why wouldn’t it be a reflective sample?

Having been a child of the 50's and left school at 14 years old, I admit my learning days were wasted and I joined the wide, wide world without any qualifications.

Having said that, I have done some research on 'reflective samples' and I fail to see, or understand how that applies to this post.  Perhaps you can enlighten me?

Reply: 149 - 215
22 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst in or out?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.