Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst in or out?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Which side of the fence are you on?
In
Out
  View Results 306 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Hurst in or out?

This thread currently has 16,339 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 25, 2023, 10:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from 123614

What, all 2-300 that post here on match days?    Hardly a 'reflective sample' of the thousands of GTFC supporters.

Why wouldn’t it be a reflective sample?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 215
toontown
October 25, 2023, 10:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70

Eastwood isn't the number 1. Cartwright is. I think it's probably clear that our first choice didn't work out as we would have liked, and we're sticking with the backup for now. We probably cannot deal with the situation until January.

No football manager gets every decision right. We shouldn't expect them to. We just need to see that at the first opportunity, they look to resolve it.

Cartwright though had failed to make the grade at a league 1 club and a league 2 club so it does stand out as a particularly bizarre decision if he was brought in as first choice (and I think you're right he perhaps was).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 215
Poojah
October 25, 2023, 11:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,758
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quite interesting that in the past 24 hours Hurst’s stock on this poll has risen threefold from barely 10% “in” to ~30%. I think that’s a pretty impressive display of loyalty on the back of last night’s brutally ugly game, and that’s genuinely not a backhanded complement.

To be performing so far below expectations, having lost the last three games, having conceded 8 goals in the process, and having taken just 5 points from our last available 27, I think it says a lot about the job he’s done and the impact he’s had on the club and the town.

I say this as someone who sits, incredibly reluctantly, on the time for a change side of the fence - I think that’s quite heartwarming.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 215
Stranger in the Park
October 25, 2023, 11:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -188
Gold Stars: 7
I think it's fair to observe that most of the recent signings have not improved the squad to the level expected despite the use of data and dedicated recruitment personnel. In the main, the backline has missed the marshalling that Waterfall brought to the side and there is no strong leadership without his lead. Too many of the new players went straight into the side creating an imbalance and are still playing like strangers. Like many others, I believe we have a goalkeeper issue that needs serious address. Also, I don't believe that the current backline are sufficiently skilled to play out from the back and play far too many balls backward thus inviting pressure. Would a change of manager address these matters - there's no guarantee. The prime example is Nigel Atkin at Tranmere Rovers, a rated big name but in a worse position than town. I accept that the team selection is the responsibility of the incumbent manager but poor results are down to that team and whichever way you look at it quite a few are just not fit or responsible enough to be included. Even so-called rated players were released by their previous clubs for a reason. With our backs to the sea and surrounded by rural areas we will never have the wealth required to be a "big" club (only 4% of the population of NE Lincs attend BP at best) so our budget and lure will never attract the best players or managers. Consequently, I don't believe that a change of manager at this point will achieve anything drastic- but a good clear out of the passengers in January might.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 215
davmariner
October 25, 2023, 11:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Poojah
Quite interesting that in the past 24 hours Hurst’s stock on this poll has risen threefold from barely 10% “in” to ~30%. I think that’s a pretty impressive display of loyalty on the back of last night’s brutally ugly game, and that’s genuinely not a backhanded complement.

To be performing so far below expectations, having lost the last three games, having conceded 8 goals in the process, and having taken just 5 points from our last available 27, I think it says a lot about the job he’s done and the impact he’s had on the club and the town.

I say this as someone who sits, incredibly reluctantly, on the time for a change side of the fence - I think that’s quite heartwarming.

Particularly on such a volatile forum as The Fishy which mostly likely isn’t reflective of the fan base.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 215
RonMariner
October 26, 2023, 12:22am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Yeah I dont disagree with that. But take last night. If Andrews hadnt fannied around getting robbed and Amos had passed to anyone of the six Town players queueing up in the box to score instead of lamping into the pontoon we would have been justifiably in front whilst playing how I think we can. Whilst I know he picks the team I cant help feel a tad sorry for him whilst we have decision making like those.

I know what you mean, and the players have to take responsibility for their poor decision making. But then again it is surely the job of the coaching staff to instill best practice into players. What on earth do they do with them all day in training if not to help rid them of bad habits, instill best practice, and improve their decision making?

A club of our size should aim to be improving players both for our own results and potential financial gain. Sadly it seems that players brought to the club recently do not show any meaningful signs of improvement. That is very concerning and does not reflect well on the management and coaching staff. .  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 215
SheepGTFC
October 26, 2023, 4:36am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 6
I've been a Hurst supporter over the years, but I think it's time. We need a change; it's not working and the football is bad. Nothing is improving.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 215
Mappers
October 26, 2023, 6:37am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,478
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Poojah

It's weird isn't it I voted out but part of me still wants him to stay , turn it around and make a success of it however unlikely that seems .  

It's a heart over head situation , and I suspect it's  maybe the case for others - I genuinely like the bloke and I think although there is that small minority who had it in for him from the day dot most of us do . Not sure that's reason enough to keep him but I get why people would want to give him a tad longer even though he would be well gone anywhere else long before now probably .

I suppose the worry is that the board feel the same way.

I just hope if the correct and somewhat inevitable decision is made that he is welcomed back to BP in the future with open arms ,much like Buckley is and treated likewise but not as the manager for a 3rd spell .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 215
GollyGTFC
October 26, 2023, 7:12am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
I imagine the poll has shifted because those with the hardest line against Hurst were the ones coming on here after the game on Tuesday and early in the morning Wednesday.

Anyhow, we all know 52% v 48% is considered enough of a landslide that the 48% are completed ignored. So based on that 30% (if truly reflective of overall opinion) is a drop in the ocean.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 128 - 215
It Bites
October 26, 2023, 7:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,206
Gold Stars: 266
I read it somewhere, could of been on here , the irony of all this is that if we did get relegated there is no one I’d like to be in charge more than Hurst . Although I’m sure Burnley feel the same about Vc
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 215
22 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst in or out?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.