Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst in or out?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Which side of the fence are you on?
In
Out
  View Results 306 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Hurst in or out?

This thread currently has 16,333 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
October 26, 2023, 12:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,484
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Bigdog
Two years ago today, we took more to Wealdstone for a midweek night game than we took to Stockport on Saturday. That's exactly where we are as a fanbase..

we have a hell of a lot of Southern based mariners and we sold out our allocation for Stockport? whats your point
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 215
October 26, 2023, 12:21pm
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid

we have a hell of a lot of Southern based mariners and we sold out our allocation for Stockport? whats your point

The thing is, he, like some others like to make statements that fit their narrative, doesn't matter if they are true or not.  Perhaps they should do some research before posting.

Reply: 151 - 215
Bigdog
October 26, 2023, 12:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 123614

The thing is, he, like some others like to make statements that fit their narrative, doesn't matter if they are true or not.  Perhaps they should do some research before posting.

My research tells me we only sold out our initial allocation for Stockport and could have had more if there was early demand. And my narrative? Are you seriously saying that demand for away tickets is as strong as when 1878 took over? Wealdstone came up in my timeline and it struck me how different the mood is at the club compared to today, that's all..We've sold 4k easily at Doncaster not so long back and now struggling to sell two. It's stark and needs considering..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 215
GrimPol
October 26, 2023, 1:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Bigdog

My research tells me we only sold out our initial allocation for Stockport and could have had more if there was early demand. And my narrative? Are you seriously saying that demand for away tickets is as strong as when 1878 took over? Wealdstone came up in my timeline and it struck me how different the mood is at the club compared to today, that's all..We've sold 4k easily at Doncaster not so long back and now struggling to sell two. It's stark and needs considering..

Why are we all arguing about all this?  We have fans travelling to an away match which most thought we would lose, not because of the lurve for PH its because they want to support the team, be it on a Crest of a Wave of Triumphs or make them feel wanted in their Struggles. Thats what away fans do.
But there is no getting away from the fact that we are struggling at the bottom. Not only did Colchester try and help us out, the other teams around us have done as well, or else our predicament today, looking at Doncaster away would have been even more worrying.
The "In PH we trust" group initially argued that we had a hard start on our timetable, the hardest in the world/history and things can, and, will only get better. Well we played the top teams, and gave them the points to be top, and played teams below us, and gave the points to bypass us, so what's left? Oh, all the refs are against us, that's a crowd-pleaser.
So whilst I've got your attention in arguing about travelling fan numbers, due to JF gone and 1878 running the show, or the PH effect, answer me this. Will there be more Mariners fans travelling to GP or Iron fans to BP when we play next season in the National League? Because that's where we will end up if we don't focus on the here and now and make changes.
Anyway onwards and upwards to Doncaster. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 215
Bigdog
October 26, 2023, 2:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

Why are we all arguing about all this?
  We have fans travelling to an away match which most thought we would lose, not because of the lurve for PH its because they want to support the team, be it on a Crest of a Wave of Triumphs or make them feel wanted in their Struggles. Thats what away fans do.
But there is no getting away from the fact that we are struggling at the bottom. Not only did Colchester try and help us out, the other teams around us have done as well, or else our predicament today, looking at Doncaster away would have been even more worrying.
The "In PH we trust" group initially argued that we had a hard start on our timetable, the hardest in the world/history and things can, and, will only get better. Well we played the top teams, and gave them the points to be top, and played teams below us, and gave the points to bypass us, so what's left? Oh, all the refs are against us, that's a crowd-pleaser.
So whilst I've got your attention in arguing about travelling fan numbers, due to JF gone and 1878 running the show, or the PH effect, answer me this. Will there be more Mariners fans travelling to GP or Iron fans to BP when we play next season in the National League? Because that's where we will end up if we don't focus on the here and now and make changes.
Anyway onwards and upwards to Doncaster. UTM

Macroeconomic indicators. Wealdstone away in my timeline brought back the amazement at the level of support midweek in London. Since that point, the league football we've been served up under PH has ground down the hopes and enjoyment factor for me and my mates and we're definitely not on our own. We're no longer taking days off work to travel because the football is shite. Less support breeds less confidence, less support means less income, which in turn brings in reduced player quality. We're on the start of a downward spiral and disappearing goodwill for 1878 unless there's significant change..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 215
Teestogreen
October 26, 2023, 2:51pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -163
Gold Stars: 23
In the words of our former trainer Fraser, to our strike force of Wilson and Pyke -
‘We’re doomed’
😂
Not
UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 215
gtfc_chris
October 26, 2023, 3:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,511
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Bigdog

Macroeconomic indicators. Wealdstone away in my timeline brought back the amazement at the level of support midweek in London. Since that point, the league football we've been served up under PH has ground down the hopes and enjoyment factor for me and my mates and we're definitely not on our own. We're no longer taking days off work to travel because the football is shite. Less support breeds less confidence, less support means less income, which in turn brings in reduced player quality. We're on the start of a downward spiral and disappearing goodwill for 1878 unless there's significant change..

This reads as though that Wealdstone game was enjoyable and good and a marker for our football. I went to that game, travelled from Grimsby and back and it was absolute garbage. Every game we've played this season has been better than that evening, including Barrow which I really didn't enjoy (despite winning). If your barometer of our playing quality is that game then no wonder you're not travelling to games!

I don't think we're at the start of a downward spiral, we're in the middle of one and it's always going to have an effect on attendances, especially with Xmas around the corner and a cost of living crisis. If I also remember rightly, that Wealdstone game was the start of our horrible mid-season patch. I'd been away with work in the USA for 6 weeks and missed the good spell and thought this was a banker. The games that followed led me to believe I should leave the country permanently just to help us get promoted!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 215
heppy88
October 26, 2023, 4:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
[quote. I went to that game, travelled from Grimsby and back and it was absolute garbage. Every game we've played this season has been better than that evening, including Barrow which I really didn't enjoy (despite winning).[/quote]

Agree with your post except the above. I’ve been to all home games and many away in the last 10 + years and for me many of the home performances this season, especially the first half of Tuesday night have been the worst. I believe this season we’ve had zero indication of the continuing improvement we were promised.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 215
Bigdog
October 26, 2023, 4:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_chris

This reads as though that Wealdstone game was enjoyable and good and a marker for our football. I went to that game, travelled from Grimsby and back and it was absolute garbage. Every game we've played this season has been better than that evening, including Barrow which I really didn't enjoy (despite winning). If your barometer of our playing quality is that game then no wonder you're not travelling to games!

I don't think we're at the start of a downward spiral, we're in the middle of one and it's always going to have an effect on attendances, especially with Xmas around the corner and a cost of living crisis. If I also remember rightly, that Wealdstone game was the start of our horrible mid-season patch. I'd been away with work in the USA for 6 weeks and missed the good spell and thought this was a banker. The games that followed led me to believe I should leave the country permanently just to help us get promoted!

No it doesn't. Read it again. Great support and that awful game and result was the catalyst of our crap run of safety first league football..

The other thing I can't believe is the swing towards wanting Hurst to stay since he gave an interview where he admitted he didn't have a clue how to change things. Begs the question of how ambitious our fanbase really are. Empathy isn't going to get us into League One..The last thing I wanted to happen this season was change the manager by the way, but enough is enough..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 215
kafunanapar140909
October 26, 2023, 5:13pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Poojah
Quite interesting that in the past 24 hours Hurst’s stock on this poll has risen threefold from barely 10% “in” to ~30%. I think that’s a pretty impressive display of loyalty on the back of last night’s brutally ugly game, and that’s genuinely not a backhanded complement.

To be performing so far below expectations, having lost the last three games, having conceded 8 goals in the process, and having taken just 5 points from our last available 27, I think it says a lot about the job he’s done and the impact he’s had on the club and the town.

I say this as someone who sits, incredibly reluctantly, on the time for a change side of the fence - I think that’s quite heartwarming.

There is a generation angle from which to look at support for Hurst. For those (like me) who are early-30s and below, who just missed out on the Buckley years, Hurst is the most successful manager of our Town-supporting lives, by a very long way.

We know from various polls down the years that the average Fishy user is a little older than this. My assumption would be that the wider fanbase is even more sympathetic to Hurst than this poll suggests.

I’d like to know how people felt when Buckley left (first or second time). I bet it was gut-wrenching for some. When he left in 2008 I remember a kind of sympathetic affection, but obviously I didn’t have the first-hand experience of his first two spells as reference.

For better or worse, that kind of best-in-our-lifetime affection for a manager is going to make younger fans think twice before calling for his head, even after a run like this.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 215
22 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst in or out?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.