Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

Hurst Out

This thread currently has 36,822 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
January 24, 2022, 10:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,738
Gold Stars: 28
This is quite a unique situation. If this was a new manager who hadn’t been with us previously, I’d be inclined to give them more time. The start of this season would give me enough encouragement.

But it isn’t, it’s a manager we’re all very familiar with. And if I’m being honest, the idea of building something long term under hurst doesn’t excite me. We had it for 5+ plus years and I don’t really want to do it again.

Plus there’s other worrying factors. One Hursts overall managerial performance is staggeringly bad over his last 100 games. It isn’t simply a matter of turning around our form, but his overall managerial form spanning 3 clubs.

The most worrying thing for me is how good we were at the beginning. There’s no denying it was very un-Hurst. If you’d asked me what kind of football I’d expect at the beginning of the season, it wouldn’t have been that. In fact, it would be exactly what we’re being served up right now. Pragmatic, boring football. There’s been a lot of discussion about why our form has dipped, but the style of play is the obvious thing. And it has all the hallmarks of Hurst. A lack of movement, trying to keep shape to the detriment of attacking fluidity. It really does feel like Hurst has coached the attacking intent out of the team because as soon as we lose, his defensive mentality kicks in.

I struggle to see how he turns this around.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 351
GrimRob
January 24, 2022, 12:20pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Most managers would have been sacked after this run of results.

Not bothered checking, but how does it compare with the final runs under Neil Woods, Russell Slade, Buckley III and Holloway (who wasn't sacked)?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 241 - 351
Swansea_Mariner
January 24, 2022, 12:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,455
Gold Stars: 63
I'm all for looking at the big picture and putting things within context BUT the bigger picture is inceasingly becoming irrelevant because of the current  run.

I say that as someone who firmly saw last season as a write off before Hurst took charge and completely gets that promotion was highly likely to take 3 or 4 seasons.

10 losses in 13 is completely unacceptable, and with the next couple of fixtures its probably going to look even worse. No manager should ever get away with that, and if I was looking at another club in our position, no way would I say sacking said manager was harsh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 351
Quagmire
January 24, 2022, 12:38pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from GrimRob

Not bothered checking, but how does it compare with the final runs under Neil Woods, Russell Slade, Buckley III and Holloway (who wasn't sacked)?

For those advocating continuity / stability etc how many would have said to give the above list (especially those in bold) more time?

Things aren't working.  

We're regressing rather than progressing.

There's no style to the play (barring keeping us shape - and what actually is that shape?), there seems to be no tactics in play, subs are always way too late (and have been with Hurst for years) and generally like for like when they happen in the 80th minute.

Managerial continuity is a by-product of success / achievement - you don't stick with an idiot because it will all come good in the end, it won't.

Chopping and changing managers in the past hasn't helped, but that's more to do with poor managerial appointments in the first place.

It'll be another summer of 15+ signings and he's already signed about 40 in just over a year.

Hurst has an eye for a player - does he???   You sign that many players the law of averages dictates the odd one will be half decent.

He's a manager who has no fear of losing his job and is acting like it - no urgency, no ambition.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 351
chaos33
January 24, 2022, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Aren’t our next two games Wrexham away and Wealdstone at home? I can understand that defeat against Wrexham on Tuesday looks likely, although by no means a certainty, but we would surely be expected to beat Wealdstone at home, so I’m not sure how we should expect things to be ‘much worse’ after the next two games.

I’m not saying it’s not reasonable to be angry,pessimistic, unhappy….all those things. Nobody thinks that this current situation is acceptable, but there’s so much overstatement, drama and negativity/hostility evident in the opinions of lots of supporters that it becomes more difficult to make a composed, informed and calm judgement. I take the general view that the best thing the attending fans can do is back the players, vocally. If they were a bunch of indifferent non triers, then vent your displeasure, but it’s obvious that we have a squad who are committed and passionate and trying, even though some might feel the management are making errors. Our best chance of turning results around is to back the players, and air your views, critical or otherwise, in a measured and respectful way on forums/social media, avoiding crass over simplicity or abuse and disproportionate, negative short-termism. . There are scores of posts in these threads which are just baneful rubbish and dramatic, grudge-bearing overstatement.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 351
petethemariner
January 24, 2022, 1:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
10 defeats in 13 in non league football equates to the worst form in the clubs history, I think that as much as anything else has produced the understandable reaction on here
I think one thing that frustrates fans is we are still scrambling round in the bargain bucket loans market, as others have said how can you build for the future when such a percentage of the team don't even belong to us and if they  do produce decent form, are likely to be recalled by the parent club?
Don't get me wrong, you can sometimes attain decent free transfers Like podge and others were, but in the main they are available for a reason, what makes them good enough for us?
The owners say there is money available for some quality signings, but it seems the manager for some reason is reluctant to use it, perhaps someone can  confirm, was Omar Bogle the last time we actually paid a fee for a player?
We are a big club in this league, I just wish we would start acting like it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 351
jamesgtfc
January 24, 2022, 1:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,984
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from petethemariner
10 defeats in 13 in non league football equates to the worst form in the clubs history, I think that as much as anything else has produced the understandable reaction on here
I think one thing that frustrates fans is we are still scrambling round in the bargain bucket loans market, as others have said how can you build for the future when such a percentage of the team don't even belong to us and if they  do produce decent form, are likely to be recalled by the parent club?
Don't get me wrong, you can sometimes attain decent free transfers Like podge and others were, but in the main they are available for a reason, what makes them good enough for us?
The owners say there is money available for some quality signings, but it seems the manager for some reason is reluctant to use it, perhaps someone can  confirm, was Omar Bogle the last time we actually paid a fee for a player?
We are a big club in this league, I just wish we would start acting like it.

We paid for Asante, Jones, Clements and maybe a couple of others when Bogle was sold. We also paid a fee at tribunal for McAtee this season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 351
petethemariner
January 24, 2022, 1:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Thanks James,we have such a turn over of  players these days my ever worsening memory can't keep up!
I think  think having to pay a fee for McAtee shows that you often have to pay  for  quality, although if rather not comment on the others!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 351
GrimRob
January 24, 2022, 2:24pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from petethemariner
Thanks James,we have such a turn over of  players these days my ever worsening memory can't keep up!
I think  think having to pay a fee for McAtee shows that you often have to pay  for  quality, although if rather not comment on the others!

Have we got enough money for a competitive team though, if we had to buy even a handful of them? Be interesting to know what percentage of the war chest has been spent so far. If we're all but spent up then it is pretty depressing. It seems we're light-years away from the top teams in the division, how many players would teams like Stockport or Chesterfield even want of ours? Next season we will have substantially less money as well just to pile on the misery!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 248 - 351
sam gy
January 24, 2022, 2:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
We only actually have two loan signings in the squad don't we?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 351
36 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.