Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Hurst Out

This thread currently has 36,818 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Rodley Mariner
January 23, 2022, 8:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Who does? Did you think when we got new owners that we would just get better and better? We are in a excrement run but suggesting that's because the new owners are trying to implement long term sustainable improvements is balderdash. You think Hurst should go which is fine. The owners don't. That doesn't mean trying to improve other things is a bad idea or that it's being prioritised ahead of football. Keep stamping your feet and saying you want to win though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 230 - 351
HertsGTFC
January 23, 2022, 8:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,954
Gold Stars: 228
It is worth noting we’re just over only half way through the season if it was another club we’d be saying it would be harsh.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 231 - 351
Norseman
January 23, 2022, 10:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don’t see comments any more vile than any that have been aimed at previous managers on such an appalling run.

Have we ever had such an appalling run where the manager hasn't been sacked .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 232 - 351
MarinerWY
January 24, 2022, 12:44am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
I don't think Hurst should go yet, but whereas I'd have been fighting his corner a few weeks back, if he did go I wouldn't be too bothered now and would understand why. I wouldn't favour it personally at this stage just cos of lack of alternative, timing, still feel he is a decent manager...but I understand why folk have already had enough and I can't defend the recent stats.
Private Message
Reply: 233 - 351
arryarryarry
January 24, 2022, 1:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Norseman

Have we ever had such an appalling run where the manager hasn't been sacked .

I don't know when you became a Town fan but in the 2009/10 season Neil Woods was in charge for 22 games before he got his first win, that included an away defeat to Leeds in the JPT plus a defeat at home to Bath City then in the Conference South.

He managed to get 14 points from a possible total of 60 in the 20 League games before his first win.

I would add that somehow he managed to hang on to his job for another month in the following season after probably one of our worst defeats in the club's history up to that point, a 2-1 defeat to frigging Chasetown.
Private Message
Reply: 234 - 351
Ashby mariner
January 24, 2022, 1:48am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
Is it really Necessary to have a 24 page thread on yet another Hurst out thread. Yes things are not going has well has we'd of all liked. I was Daring to dream going to Woking. Torquay Altrincham ect. However a new manager isn't always the answer look how many we've gone through. If Hurst goes we are not going to be catching the top teams now. Then there will be another massive turnover of players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 235 - 351
arryarryarry
January 24, 2022, 2:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Ashby mariner
Is it really Necessary to have a 24 page thread on yet another Hurst out thread. Yes things are not going has well has we'd of all liked. I was Daring to dream going to Woking. Torquay Altrincham ect. However a new manager isn't always the answer look how many we've gone through. If Hurst goes we are not going to be catching the top teams now. Then there will be another massive turnover of players.

It is a risk whatever the club does, either sacking Hurst and bringing in a new manager or keeping him.

As regards "another massive turnover of players" just how many has he brought in since he came back to the club and look where we are. Also how many are contracted for next season, not many so even if he stays there is likely to be a load more players coming in especially if we don't even make the play-offs. If we don't I wouldn't want the majority to stay.

Plus how do you know that a new manager may not get better out of the players we have got, it's not just about the players it's also about how you use them and tactics and just going on last Saturday's game Hurst got it wrong.

He has to start getting a run of wins soon or we may as well cut our losses and try someone else.  
Private Message
Reply: 236 - 351
aldi_01
January 24, 2022, 5:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Whilst I get the point about turn over of players, at our level it’s relatively normal. Clubs understandably offer short term deals and players don’t seem too bothered. You get a few two years deals but that’s it.

This debate will rumble on but I don’t see Hurst going anywhere so surely it’s just best to supper him and the team. You can have an opinion, and may be rambling about it on here, folk losing their minds and some seemingly wanting him to fail (he touched a nerve way back when, I get it, some didn’t like it) is the place to do it, being Uber negative in the ground is just hypocrisy on some levels.

We are in an awful run yet it’s still nothing close to the worst we’ve seen, I’m not saying that’s better but it’s a reality. There’s not much kicking about manager wise, sometimes it’s best to sit tight…

Then again, I didn’t believe the playoffs were a dead cert, a chance perhaps but that is all, especially after last season…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 237 - 351
GYinScuntland
January 24, 2022, 7:15am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from EY Mariner

If the comment "If we dont think Grimsby Town on our Budget and fanbase should be beating Bromley at home we may as well liquidate" isn't looking down one's nose, then I frankly don't know what is. As I've said, I don't think anyone would argue that our recent form is acceptable. But I don't think ignoring the reality of the position of yesterday's opponents is remotely helpful either.

The fans used to come to Blundell Park expecting to beat the likes of Wolves, Stoke, Sheffield Wednesday etc which we did and were in those days accused of having too high expectations, we're now accused of looking down our noses because we expect to beat the likes of Bromley in a non league game.
It seems like we shouldn't expect to beat anyone in case we appear too snotty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 238 - 351
MuddyWaters
January 24, 2022, 7:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from GYinScuntland

The fans used to come to Blundell Park expecting to beat the likes of Wolves, Stoke, Sheffield Wednesday etc which we did and were in those days accused of having too high expectations, we're now accused of looking down our noses because we expect to beat the likes of Bromley in a non league game.
It seems like we shouldn't expect to beat anyone in case we appear too snotty.

Agree totally.

Love watching the ‘on this GTFC day’ clips when we were doing a Bromley and punching above our weight.
Private Message
Reply: 239 - 351
36 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.