Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Hurst Out

This thread currently has 36,810 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
January 26, 2022, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Dan you say your struggling to understand why grown men post drivel online against others hiding behind a computer but then you post that.

I don't see anything on here that goes personal against the players or the manager, looks like your trying to escalate something that isn't there behind your keyboard as you put it.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 310 - 351
chaos33
January 26, 2022, 10:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from pontoonlew

And apparently, we've got a competitive budget, so why aren't we competing with anybody we come up against?

Yeah, I mean that last sentence is just nonsense. We’ve been more than competitive with everyone and better than a lot. Our losses are invariably by one goal. Let’s keep it real.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 311 - 351
Poojah
January 26, 2022, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,533
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from chaos33

Yeah, I mean that last sentence is just nonsense. We’ve been more than competitive with everyone and better than a lot. Our losses are invariably by one goal. Let’s keep it real.

You do have to ask why we’ve been routinely on the wrong side of those 1-goal defeats of late, and only just avoided adding another one to the tally against Halifax at home.

Invariably it’s been through error on our part, and a failure to take chances at the other end. Is it just as simple as bad luck, or is there something more fundamental at play?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 312 - 351
Mariner93er
January 26, 2022, 10:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from chaos33

But you don’t win games by being competitive, you win them by scoring more goals than the opposition. If our form was patchy, we could say we’ve been unlucky. But with the long run we’re on, it must come down to something more fundamental.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 313 - 351
jamesgtfc
January 26, 2022, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from chaos33

If you lose the odd game having played well, it's unlucky but losing 11 out of 14 games is not unlucky, competitive or anything else other than disgraceful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 314 - 351
GhostDan
January 26, 2022, 10:47am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Dan you say your struggling to understand why grown men post drivel online against others hiding behind a computer but then you post that.

I don't see anything on here that goes personal against the players or the manager, looks like your trying to escalate something that isn't there behind your keyboard as you put it.

Type Giles Coke or Paul Hurst in on Twitter and you'll get a pretty good idea of what I mean.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 315 - 351
chaos33
January 26, 2022, 10:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
I think you are conflating issues here. I’ve said it’s unacceptable and I too wonder why we are continuing on the wrong side of the ‘fine margins’. It’s right to ask if there is something more fundamental behind this.
To say we are ‘not competitive’ is just plain wrong and doesn’t really contribute anything to a consideration of what’s happened. Obviously I acknowledge that Stockport dismantled us in the trophy, and Solihull beat us comfortably, but generally we’ve lost lots of games 1-0 where we have failed to either create or take chances or through individual error.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 316 - 351
GrimExile
January 26, 2022, 11:20am
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
I guess it’s all very well sacking a manager when we are playing so badly but we’re not Man City. Who, who are any better than Hurst, are we likely to get? We all know the answer and that is no one. I do agree that his decisions and tactics are very negative and he’s obviously conservative by nature, however he’s got Chris Doig to bounce ideas off. You’d have thought that if Doig had anything about him he’d say why not be more adventurous. We’re losing anyway let’s just go for it.

I think half the problem is he just cannot get a really decent striker in to partner McAtee. We’ve been so spoilt in the past because we’ve had Connell, Hearn, Amond and Bogle but they don’t grow on trees. When you realise that Bogle only cost £20,000 and Palmar cost Wrexham £300,000 and a monster pay rise, then what chance do we have? The days of saying have 20 grand to a lower club for your top striker and you be grateful for that are obviously over. Especially with the money that’s splashing around with so many clubs in the Conference these days. I think things will improve money wise a little when Fenty is paid off, but at the moment I think we just have to stick with Hurst. It’ll be interesting to see what happens if in 12 months he’s still in the job and we’re still losing for fun again!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 317 - 351
pontoonlew
January 26, 2022, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,022
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from chaos33

Competing to me is winning, and we’re not doing that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 318 - 351
chaos33
January 26, 2022, 11:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Well that’s just compounded the original error! ‘Competing’ and ‘winning’ are clearly two separate things aren’t they. You’d have been better off just saying ‘yeah, maybe it was an overstatement to say we are not competing’. Saves face rather than looking a bit daft.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 319 - 351
36 Pages Prev ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.