Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 22 Guests

Hurst Out

This thread currently has 36,097 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Davec
January 23, 2022, 12:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
When I look at Hurst's recruitment this time round compared to last time I can see the sort of player he has signed has changed

Take the promotion season for example, we had Tait, Gowling, Robertson, Horwood, Disley, Arnold, Monkhouse Amond just to name a few, all of them were experienced players who had long careers in the football league and/or promotion from the national League previously.

Compare to that to now, most of his signings (not all) seem to be inexperienced, haven't really achieved much so they have a point to prove.

I'm not saying having a point to prove is a bad thing but when you have most of them needing to "prove a point" not all of them will be able to prove that point and like now we are in a bit of a rut and we don't have too many experienced heads who has promotions under their belt to help the young players who have a point to prove to get back into form.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 351
Hagrid

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
Someone has Honestly Just suggested Brian Laws on The GTFC facebook page.

This after a post last night that Hurst should have been sacked for releasing Joe StarbuckšŸ˜­šŸ˜­
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 351
Vance Warner
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from Hagrid

Can level many things at Paul, but he sure as hell doesnt think heā€™s ā€œ godā€.

Iā€™ve said before heā€™s a hard working, honest and throughly decent bloke, and thats what upsets me because i wanted this to work for him. He gave me my greatest day as A town fan

This completely. Compare Paulā€™s work rate with the last manager who signed players from agent recommendations and YouTube videos. Heā€™ll be desperate for things to turn around. If it doesnā€™t work out then it wonā€™t be for a lack of effort. No need for personal abuse as it wonā€™t change the situation one bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 351
MuddyWaters
January 23, 2022, 12:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Vance Warner

This completely. Compare Paulā€™s work rate with the last manager who signed players from agent recommendations and YouTube videos. Heā€™ll be desperate for things to turn around. If it doesnā€™t work out then it wonā€™t be for a lack of effort. No need for personal abuse as it wonā€™t change the situation one bit.

So he works hard. Great.

Now try and explain to me why he would replace a wide attacking player with a central midfielder when he had two more wide attackers on the bench and our shape was clearly troubling them.

Weā€™ve had hard working managers before whoā€™ve not been very good either (Jolley, Woods, Slade spring to mind).
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 351
male private Nale
January 23, 2022, 12:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -806
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from pen penfras

Why do we have to have a replacement in mind to be against the current manager. We're on a horrendous run of form that I can't imagine any other club would keep their manager with, especially as one of the biggest clubs in that division. It's the people who run the club's job to know who is out there and have suitable replacements in mind. But if you think that we should stick with a manager that is on course to give us our worst ever position in the football pyramid having had 3 transfer windows and used every excuse under the sun to detract from the fact that he got us relegated, then I'm absolutely shocked. Hurst has been a total failure this time around and doesn't deserve to be given another summer of 10+ signings to see if he can do better than the garbage he's unearthed so far.

Think you need to re read my post fella... not once have I said we should stick with him , I actually state what I would gamble on...

I am actually saying that people on this message board could put a couple of names in who they would like to replace him rather than just regurgitating hurst out. It opens up a bit of debate on here and people can suggest names that can be applauded or derided.

Though if you remain happy to read 16 pages of hurst out then crack on

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 351
HertsGTFC
January 23, 2022, 12:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,634
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So he works hard. Great.

Now try and explain to me why he would replace a wide attacking player with a central midfielder when he had two more wide attackers on the bench and our shape was clearly troubling them.

Weā€™ve had hard working managers before whoā€™ve not been very good either (Jolley, Woods, Slade spring to mind).

Not only that but Fox was blowing out of his backside after the break and he could have taken him off put Clifton in that slot and brought on either Sousa or Wright.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s styleĀ Ā 
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 351
dapperz fun pub
January 23, 2022, 12:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Results business 2/14 suggests heā€™s not doing very well. I have no problem with his work ethic thatā€™s not the problem itā€™s more his negative tactics and basic lack of tactical nous that cheese me off. We donā€™t have a style of play in fact at times it looks like they donā€™t know each other, Iā€™m no fan of Steve evans but Iā€™m sure weā€™d be in the title race with him charge in this league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 351
Harry Haddock
January 23, 2022, 12:35pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Iknowyoursecret
Hurst came back thinking he was a god,shite on many many people in his time and now managers are knocking on Jasonā€™s door.We need promotion not need relegation.Please Jason and Debbie plz sack manager

WTF !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 351
devs
January 23, 2022, 12:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
I'm a Hurst fan (on balance - on basis he will never be perfect cos if he was he wouldn't be here) but even I was amazed at yesterday's substitution
We were causing them all sorts of problems from wide positions - so why not go like for like (as 99% of the time he always does!)
We then look very narrow and this allowed their widemen to cause lots of problems

It was baffling to say the least

Having said all of that our main problem is lack of ruthlessness at both ends - that game should have been at least 2-0 before an awful decision let them back into it
We seem to be paying big price for bad finishing and bad choices

I honestly don't feel there is a better team than us in the league - other teams have more cutting edge and make fewer errors at crucial times

Ultimately it's the manager who takes the can - fairly or unfairly - but Hurst can't stop Abrahams not connecting properly when easier to score etc etc

Until/unless we start scoring 'scruffy' goals and/or goals in and around 6 yard box we are stuffed in terms of challenging
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 351
marinerjase
January 23, 2022, 12:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
Football..brings out all the emotions eh..good and bad.

Everyoneā€™s a bit ā€˜tetchyā€™ - sniping, having digs.

Whichever side of fence youā€™re on re Hurst - nothing wrong with having an opinion either way btw - but at least keep it civil. No need for the character assassinations or slurs.

Iā€™ve openly said I donā€™t mind PH - and in all honesty I donā€™t think heā€™ll be going anywhere anytime soon. And when he does I think itā€™ll be his decision - not forced. (Just my opinion) - that said..Iā€™ve seen enough to more than understand those that think enough is enough, the stats donā€™t lie. And as much as a good spell could happen - as it did - there are question marks on the future set up of squad. Granted Covid hasnā€™t helped but everyone is in same boat. Are we improving? Are we falling away? Do you see us challenging next season? Can we afford another season without challenging? What do you see that makes you feel we can or canā€™t?

I guess thereā€™s hundreds of other questions that need to be asked and addressed by the new owners, manager himself and others. The talk is of a ā€˜projectā€™ ..that term itself leads you to think there wonā€™t be any change forthcoming - maybe rightly so, or wrongly..weā€™ll see..but if weā€™re sitting here in a similar position this time next year I suspect those questions will have been answered but a little too late. There has to be signs of improvement on the pitch, and given that there are and hopefully will be improvements to facilities, help to manager etc along the way - those improvements need to be evident even moreso. Otherwise itā€™s again a perfectly reasonable question asking if someone else could do a better job..be it manager and players.

The feel good factor wonā€™t last forever - as Iā€™m sure that the people who matter will be aware - and a match day ā€˜experienceā€™ is always enhanced with results. Hereā€™s hoping we figure a way to learn how to compete again soon.

ā€˜I just f*cking threw myself at itā€™

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 351
36 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.