Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Taking the knee
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
scrumble and 11 Guests

Taking the knee

This thread currently has 22,640 views. Print
23 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
September 22, 2020, 10:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,074
Gold Stars: 59

When people make trite comments about walking in a black person’s shoes and about white people being institutionally racist for being born white, it shows a level of bias and hatred of humanity on a par with any and every other racist attitude.

How on earth do you get to that conclusion from what Bobby said. The mind boggles.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 221
ska face
September 22, 2020, 12:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,342
Gold Stars: 820
I think people are, quite blatantly, hiding behind this idea of BLM being an official organisation with a set of specific values and goals to justify withholding any support for the broad aims to the protest - nebulous as they are.

Not a problem in itself, everyone’s entitled to support or not support whatever causes they like. But I think it’s pretty clear that footballers are doing the protest to raise awareness and encourage action to be taken to address forms of systemic racism - and not because they want to abolish prisons or the concept of nations.

It’s usually from the same people that “support the message” but didn’t support removing statues celebrating slave traders.
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 221
Norseman
September 22, 2020, 3:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 48
Are the players and the club going to take any responsibility for the problems that will arise if fans are eventually allowed in. As can be seen on here and across other football sites many are opposed tokneeling by footballers who have may or may not have any  idea what the BLM movement stand for and hope to achieve. There will certainly be arguments and possibly violence which is all down to allowing politics into sport.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 221
TheRealJohnLewis
September 22, 2020, 4:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Politics has and always will be in sports.  If people are really that upset at players expressing a personal choice to send a statement over racial injustice, then maybe they should just stay away and let those who want to support the players on the pitch do so.

Edit.  Those who start the violence if any (ie those against the knee) should be held responsible not the players or the club and the fans should be banned accordingly if any violence  offence has been committed.
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 221
Sandford1981
September 22, 2020, 4:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Norseman
Are the players and the club going to take any responsibility for the problems that will arise if fans are eventually allowed in. As can be seen on here and across other football sites many are opposed tokneeling by footballers who have may or may not have any  idea what the BLM movement stand for and hope to achieve. There will certainly be arguments and possibly violence which is all down to allowing politics into sport.

This is ridiculous!
How about individuals being responsible for their own behaviour?
If fully grown adults cannot strongly disagree without resorting to violence then they deserve to face the consequences of their actions.

Private Message
Reply: 114 - 221
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 22, 2020, 5:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,989
Gold Stars: 283
Quoted from Sandford1981

This is ridiculous!
How about individuals being responsible for their own behaviour?
If fully grown adults cannot strongly disagree without resorting to violence then they deserve to face the consequences of their actions.

I agree with you completely but sadly there's overwhelming evidence that many adults can't disagree without resorting to violence.

I don't buy that people will resort to violence as a result of players taking a knee (I don't discount it being conceivable). Taking a knee as a protest came to prominence in the NFL a few years back and there was no violence associated with it, despite the protest taking place in cities forever associated with slavery and 'The South' and the president was openly opposed to it.

I suspect that if violence did become associated with taking a knee it would be because far right groups took the opportunity to counter protest and that descended into violence.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 221
Norseman
September 22, 2020, 5:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
My point is they can't. That's why we have riots and clashes between groups of differing strong opinions. If GTFC allow the situation which could cause these flash points knowing full well it could. They are corporately responsible as are the Individuals. They segregate supporters to stop violence but when that fails as at the port Vale game the. Club were also rightly castigated for allowing the situation to be possible. It can all be prevented by leaving politics and protests outside the gate. Simple
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 221
Sandford1981
September 22, 2020, 5:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker

I agree with you completely but sadly there's overwhelming evidence that many adults can't disagree without resorting to violence.

Absolutely, but to hold someone else accountable for your own behaviour is infantile.  

Private Message
Reply: 117 - 221
Norseman
September 22, 2020, 5:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Out of interest why is someone who disagrees with black lives matter and their ideology labelled Far Right. I certainly disagree with them. But quite happy with  not today, not any day and it's predecessor say no to racism. None of which were divisive.,resulted in violence, riots, property damage and murder as it has in the states. For me the minute you put a colour before any statement it becomes racist. Can ordinary people not just have an opinion without being labelled just because their opinion is different.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 221
male private Nale
September 22, 2020, 6:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -806
Gold Stars: 131
This entire thread feels like a discussion between white people.

If any of you get the chance, sit down with a black person and talk about their everyday experiences in the UK. Very few will have been violently and verbally abused because of their race but they will have been discriminated against many times every day - the way white people look at them, the subtle shifts in body language when a white person meets a black person, the subtle change of tone and words in a conversation. Many institutions that we use every day are designed by and for white people.

A black mother was interviewed on the TV recently and she said she feared for her pre-teen son because he was very close to the point where British society stopped seeing him as cute and started seeing him as a threat.

Walk a mile in a black person's shoes.

Works both ways that, I presume you have never lived in heavily populated black areas, I do not condone any racism, have friends and workmates of all ethnicities but to say walk a mile in a black persons shoes you should also try walking a mile in a white persons shoes living amongst blacks before you mount your soap box.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 221
23 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Taking the knee

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.